+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Old Gods] Would Pagan polygamy be implemented?

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries

[Old Gods] Would Pagan polygamy be implemented?

As you all might know, a good number pagan religions practices polygamy. I was wondering if the religions that does have such practices be allowed to practice polygamy in game? The mongols for certain practices polygamy, even if they are tengriist--even though this is not what happens in the current game.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    Rome GoldSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Should be easy to add. I mean... The Muslims have polygamy ingame.

Crusader Kings IIVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thure View Post
    Should be easy to add. I mean... The Muslims have polygamy ingame.
    Yep, but unlike Muslims, pagan religions in general don't really have a limit. I think the system might crash if something like this would happen with every single character.Hence, I was wondering if they would try anything like this at all.
    Last edited by darthfanta; 04-02-2013 at 04:24.

Ma Xamewš Xewaham Kered Fer Darkgamma's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron III500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event

Polyandry, polygyny, enacy, matrilinearity...
    Servant of the Dark, Restorer of The Light
    The mod's a mod and since it's a mod it goes to the mod subforum.
    ​- Darkgamma

Groogy is the best Paradox Dev, no questions asked.
    Darkgamma's Acronym and Neologism Thread (DANT)

Erebos - a total conversion mod

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkgamma View Post
    Polyandry, polygyny, enacy, matrilinearity...
    I thought polyandry was only found in the most extreme circumstances, like the Inuit. And the internet doesn't know what enacy is!
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

Quote Originally Posted by Grubnessul View Post
    I thought polyandry was only found in the most extreme circumstances, like the Inuit. And the internet doesn't know what enacy is!
    There are allusions to viking polyandry, and enacy is like agnacy but in reverse
    ​- Darkgamma

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well I don't know what you've read but most Pagan religions I know of, 'specially the European ones, do/did not practice Polygamy. The old Norse only had one wife, as did the Romuva and Slavonics. The Celts were the ones I know of that did, and even that seems more tied to culture than religion.
    "I was going to be a fishermare, but then I dropped the bass!"
    /Vinyl Scratch, DJ

Crusader Kings II

Polygamy for pagans are not the same as for Muslims. It is closer to Christians: One Wife, but lots of mistresses, but it is not punished in their case.

Quote Originally Posted by Luhood View Post
    Well I don't know what you've read but most Pagan religions I know of, 'specially the European ones, do/did not practice Polygamy. The old Norse only had one wife, as did the Romuva and Slavonics. The Celts were the ones I know of that did, and even that seems more tied to culture than religion.
    Then what is it with many Ásatrú kings having several secondary wives and at least one woman having two husbands?
    ​- Darkgamma

Going to Scarborough Fair cybrxkhan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Personally I would just allow them to have multiple wives, but limit them to, say, three. That way they have multiple wives, but the game doesn't get cluttered up with tons of people.
    My CKII Mods:
    Vanilla Immersion, Events, and Traits (VIET) - A modular roleplaying, flavor, and tweak mod! Part of the Historical Immersion Project (HIP) consisting of PB, SWMH, ARKO, and NBRT+
    Cultures and Portraits Revamp (CPR) New portrait sets and other portrait enhacements - no more Arab portraits everywhere! Now a part of HIP.
    VIET Music - Hundreds of songs to enhance immersion, ranging from authentic medieval music to traditional Persian music and West African ballads!
    Old Age - old characters are weaker and less capable: no more 80 year old kings running around like they were 20!
    Jews Everywhere (JEW) - New Jewish cultures and courtiers, ranging from the Mizrahi to Chinese Jews.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Luhood View Post
    And they still would be too if it wasn't for that meddling pope.

Oh god i hope paradox won't make Romuva polygamous

Even the very Christianised Danish Kings at the start of the game only have bastards because they're weren't monogamous. But having a harem isn't the same thing as having multiple wives. Many of the Ottoman Sultans never married and the Danish bastards would imply something similar.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

I'd say implement it. If only so we can use it in mods.

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    MagickaPenumbra - Black PlagueSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

The important part is only giving it to religions which allowed it, for example, the Tengriists.
    "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?"

Quote Originally Posted by Pte Baldrick View Post
    The important part is only giving it to religions which allowed it, for example, the Tengriists.
    Or making it a pagan-specific enactable law?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis III: In NomineThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: Warband

I think it would more be accepting of bastards!

Myself
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

My guess is that they will just add an arbitrary limit (probably 4) but without any penalty for having less.
    Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou allied. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of France, master of the fates of Europe. Therefore with my explorers thou shalt see, and with my spies thou shalt hear; and never shall thou be released from vassalage until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The idea that European pagans were more sexually permissive than Christians seems to mostly be invented by modern neo-pagans who want to hit on hot girls with Celtic necklaces.

Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Tempestra View Post
    The idea that European pagans were more sexually permissive than Christians seems to mostly be invented by modern neo-pagans who want to hit on hot girls with Celtic necklaces.
    Well, the christian Irish were certainly sexually permissive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast