• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

freeman12

Sergeant
79 Badges
May 1, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Deus Vult
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Knights of Honor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I have decided to start up an AAR with the Death and Taxes mod with Bavaria (if the title somehow doesn't clue you in to this fact). So now that that's out of the way here's the obligatory settings/house rules.

Settings:
-100 year land/sea province spread
-No lucky nations
-everything else normal

House rules:
-No reloading because of something going wrong
-No declaring war without a Casus beli or a justifiable reason(ex:missions,taking other nations colonies,Killing all the savages/heathens/heretics/Austrians etc.)
-No abusing the Vassal release system as cheap -Infamy(Note:Only non core imperial territory i hold and cant gift to a HRE state bordering it will be released as a vassal)
-No cheats

Also a few more things before i start. First i have decided to post major updates every time one of my monarchs die no matter how short or long said reign is. These death updates will include the overview of the known world, The sate of Bavaria, world maps from the F12 commands and the overall strongest powers in different regions(as in France, Italy, and of course, Germany)

And also before i forget Any suggestions on good picture hosting sites and image formats i should use? I'm asking because I'll be using pictures to enhance the overall view of the situations.

Last edited:
Should be interesting!

I use JPGs and Imageshack for my AARs.

The Fraconian Inheritance

January 10-1356-The Fraconian Inheritance
In the year 1356 Duke Ludwig the Fifth of Bavaria had, in accordance with earlier promises by Holy Roman Emperor Henry the Fifth, laid claim to Franken.
eu326x.jpg

Franken however was in the hands of The Palatinate and one of his relations, Rupert Von Wittelsbach, this was just a minor setback though as Franken was gifted to the dynasty as a whole and thus all Ludwig had to do was simply take then by force and make Rupert recognize the Bavarian claim to the land.

Planning was quickly made as two diplomats were sent to Austria and Wuttemburg seeking a military alliance. The former accepted the latter however refused. Military buildup was afterwards ordered along with orders to increases minting and to prepare for war.

eu340.jpg

On the 20th of august the army that would be used to enforce Ludwig's claim to Franken was prepared and later in the year Otto Lechner was hired to reduce the resulting inflation of the military preparations.
eu335.jpg

The Holy Roman Empire circa 1356

eu342u.jpg

The Royal Court of Bavaria circa 1356

Later just before the new year came in Otto had the audacity to challenge the kings policies and was executex for his Treason. He was later replaced by Anton Scherer.
eu344.jpg

On the first of March 1357 war was formally declared between the Duchy of Bavaria and the Electoral Palatinate. Ludwig had however been confident that he would be victorious and decided to leave his allies out of his war for now. Mostly because he did not trust the Austrians and his new found ally of Mainz was unneeded as of then. The forces of the Palatinate however were joined by the forces of both Liege and Saxony.
eu346.jpg

eu347.jpg

Last edited:
Currently i'm stuck at a decision here. Right now i have the mission to vassalize Saxony but they are currently guaranteed by Austria (My rival) So what do you suggest to to? cancel the mission or just go for it and declare war?

Also before i forget. I've noticed in other AARs that they have links that direct to post's. How is that done?

Hi freeman12! I'd like to see where you take Bavaria in the quest for European glory! Any plans to become Emperor? I tend to find that due to Bavaria's conquest missions and the tendency of all the minor electors to ally with each other Bavaria can quickly swoop in and vassalise them all (save Bohemia and Brandenburg) with a couple of wars.

On your first question, you can just vassalise Saxony without casus belli whenever they join a war against you for a net +2 infamy. Or, if your war with the Palatinate and friends already ended (I should think so, since you have a new mission now), try attacking someone else and inviting Austria to join the war - it doesn't even have to be a sensible target ... maybe Granada or whoever's the crusade target at the time, as long as Austria will join. Once Austria is a junior partner in your war, they will never join a defensive war against you so you can attack Saxony with no problems.

Second, to link to a post within a thread and create a index page, copy the link that's in the post number on the top right of the post (e.g. your question is in the post numbered #5), then use the URL function to link to that.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip about the URLS! Also i should have another update soon. It's been a bit slow since for some reason the Imageshack multi-upload feature does not seem to work for me anymore.

The Fall Of Franken

After War was declared between Bavaria and The Palatinate the Bavarian forces led by Ludwig Himself quickly marched to Nurnberg and wiped out a hastily raised militia of noblemen, which due to having no organized leadership or even time for basic training, were scattered into the countryside.
eu348.jpg

eu349.jpg

Later on in the year a desperate Rupert called the distant city state of Saxe-Lauenburg to aid in the war.
eu350.jpg

The Saxon's however were facing trouble in their homeland due to a band of organized mercenaries that had seized control over Dresden and were pillaging and looting their everything that was or was not nailed down. This peace offer from the desperate Saxon's was accepted and provoked the mercenary band to attempt to seize Franken for themselves
eu351.jpg

eu352o.jpg

Andreas Tellig had made a grave mistake marching to Franken where the brunt of the Bavarian army was currently sieging the city of Nurnberg. This mistake by Tellig, choosing to fight the massed Bavarian troops would eventually lead to his execution by Saxon forces.
eu353.jpg

Later on in the first of January 1358 the well respected Army Reformer Albrecht Rickaur challenged Ludwig's policies and unlike the unfortunate Otto he was taken seriously as he held high respect in the Bavarian court in these uncertain times.
eu354.jpg

After two long years of Siege the defenders of Nurnberg finally surrendered and Ludwig the Fifth Duke of Bavaria walked into the treasury of the city finding a number of Austrian coins among the one's minted by The Palatinate. The great game of politics moved in strange ways and Ludwig had planned to make his move against Austria when the time was right. The Austrian coins had however shown the hand of the Hapsburg dynasty and Ludwig planned to make good use of the early alert to Austria's plans to limit Bavarian influence.

I will be posting an update at around 12-3 pm my time. Also i have neglected to respond to a question i was asked since i decided to play ahead until Ludwig V died. And all i will say for now is that Saxony is now a part of Bavaria and Thuringia is next on the list for Diplo-Annexation.the question that was referenced earlier was,
Any plans to become Emperor?
And to that my answer is a definite no. I have no intent on becoming Holy Roman Emperor. And after i Diplo-Annex the other 4 Vassals i have it will be an uphill battle to get it anyways.

Also during the update to bridge the gap between the Ludwig and his successor i will reveal my short and long term goals for Bavaria.

Last edited:
The Battle of Mainz

One month after the fall of Franken the lord's of both Saxe-Lauenburg and Liege sent an offer of peace to Ludwig. Both of them were accepted and on the 4th of may Mainz was called to war.

On the ninth of May Ludwig marched into Mainz to aid his ally Peter Heidelberger II to help even the odds against Rupert himself. However unknown to Rupert the Armee Von Oberpfalz would soon join the battle.

When the Oberpfalz army finally reached Mainz. What was at the beginning a simple matter of crushing Peter's army had turned into a full on rout. This battle had not only scattered the entire armed forces of The Palatinate who surrendered At Pfalz it also allowed the forces of Bavaria to siege the territories of both Worms and Pfalz while having no organized resistance to their occupation efforts.