• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MercutioUK

Second Lieutenant
60 Badges
Mar 22, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • The Kings Crusade
  • March of the Eagles
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • East India Company Collection
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Probably most of you already know, but EUIV will be Steam only and apparently this looks like a business decision that will be carried toward all Paradox future releases. In my case, I have most of my Paradox games bought from GG, apart from Cities in Motion. But what would happen with Heart of Darkness (and by logic, the Old Gods expansion for CKII)? Are we supposed to expect that previously released Paradox games to receive new releases for any future expansions/DLCs on GG and other platforms or are we all going to migrate to Steam in the near future?

Probably most of you already know, but EUIV will be Steam only and apparently this looks like a business decision that will be carried toward all Paradox future releases. In my case, I have most of my Paradox games bought from GG, apart from Cities in Motion. But what would happen with Heart of Darkness (and by logic, the Old Gods expansion for CKII)? Are we supposed to expect that previously released Paradox games to receive new releases for any future expansions/DLCs on GG and other platforms or are we all going to migrate to Steam in the near future?

New titles I will expect to be Steam-only, expansions for existing titles I reckon (and hope) will be available through GG so long as it may last.

New titles I will expect to be Steam-only, expansions for existing titles I reckon (and hope) will be available through GG so long as it may last.

I'm hope so too, but one example I have are the Neocore games (like Lionheart and King Arthur), which I bought them on GG and they stopped support for any platforms other than Steam (The last DLCs for Lionheart for example were Steam only, and I didn't know). In the end GG sent Steam activation codes to all owners. I've always liked the fact that GG users usually doesn't have any installation issues as Steam users have. Steam only would be far from ideal in this case, I have to say.

I think it would be a pretty substantial F-You to their loyal fanbase, many of who only started using gamersgate to support Paradox, to prevent them buying an expansion pack for a game that many of us already bought all the DLC and expansions, unless we paid for them all a second time. I doubt that Paradox would do that half way through a game's life cycle. Frederick seems like a reasonable enough fellow, who seems to genuinely have a concern for his companies reputation and fan base, from what little I've talked to him. Moving to steam for a new game? Sure. Doing it half way through a game's lifespan? No.

If the basegame is non-steam, then so will expansions be.

That's good, but what about new games? I will be split between wanting to vote down Steam with my wallet and wanting to support a good games company...What to do, what to do.

You should never put all your eggs in one basket. Hell, I'd pay $5 extra for a gamersgate or at least non-Steam version of any game.

Lately I've found Amazon to be a great place to buy games online. They offer the same version as GG and a lot of the times have the same discount as Steam, but without the Steam restriction. I bought quite a few expansions over Amazon over the past year.

Thanks so much Paradox - I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy the whole game again to get the new expansion.

(thought I totally would have :blush: - but then I might not be able to buy East vs. West too, now I totally can :cool:)

I have not used Steam to download/play any games. Does anyone know if you can download the game to a laptop, archive it, and then load it on a desktop? I have used this process for my Paradox games as I don't have an internet connection at home and don't intend to subrcribe just for gaming. So if the answer is no and Paradox doesn't release the games via gamersgate or a CD, I will be content with playing existing titles (e.g., V2, HOI3, EU3). or I may start exploring other strategy game offerings which are interesting and don't require an internet connection to play.

Thanks in advance to any forum member who enlightens me about Steam.

I have not used Steam to download/play any games. Does anyone know if you can download the game to a laptop, archive it, and then load it on a desktop? I have used this process for my Paradox games as I don't have an internet connection at home and don't intend to subrcribe just for gaming. So if the answer is no and Paradox doesn't release the games via gamersgate or a CD, I will be content with playing existing titles (e.g., V2, HOI3, EU3). or I may start exploring other strategy game offerings which are interesting and don't require an internet connection to play.

Yes you can

You sure can - Paradox haven't locked their games to the Steam application (yet) so you can limit yourself to only using Steam for the base download itself and then just run and update the games manually without ever running steam.

That's good, but what about new games? I will be split between wanting to vote down Steam with my wallet and wanting to support a good games company...What to do, what to do. You should never put all your eggs in one basket. Hell, I'd pay $5 extra for a gamersgate or at least non-Steam version of any game.

The vast, super majority of CK2 buyers bought the Steam version. The number of people who opted for the GamersGate version was so small that EU4 is going to be Steam only. You should expect other future projects to be Steam exclusive as well.

The vast, super majority of CK2 buyers bought the Steam version. The number of people who opted for the GamersGate version was so small that EU4 is going to be Steam only. You should expect other future projects to be Steam exclusive as well.

thanks Paradox

STEAM > ALL

yes, GG version afaik.

That's good, but what about new games? I will be split between wanting to vote down Steam with my wallet and wanting to support a good games company...What to do, what to do.

You should never put all your eggs in one basket. Hell, I'd pay $5 extra for a gamersgate or at least non-Steam version of any game.

Agreed. I'd even pay $10 more. Seriously, seriously disappointed about EU4. :(

Anyway, glad that Victoria 2:HOD won't require Steam. :)

Paradox games are a lot more "Steam-friendly" than a lot of other games: You need to install the game through Steam, but then you can go into your Steam folder, dig out the entire game folder, copy it, paste it to C:\Games\ or whatever, run the exe directly from this new folder, and never have to worry about Steam or its level of copy-protection ever again.

Patches excluded, but then you just repeat the process as Steam updates the game folder that's still inside Steam.

Paradox COULD make it so that the game exe is locked to Steam so you can't do this "trick" anymore, but I'd consider it very unlikely that they will.

I have most of my Paradox games from Gamersgate, but I would have absolutely zero problems if they switched to Steam for all of their future titles. Especially since maybe three-fourths of my 500 game collection are already on Steam in the first place. Hell, I might just re-buy all their previous titles on Steam anyway, just to throw in more support and so I never have to worry about patching.

Paradox games are a lot more "Steam-friendly" than a lot of other games: You need to install the game through Steam, but then you can go into your Steam folder, dig out the entire game folder, copy it, paste it to C:\Games\ or whatever, run the exe directly from this new folder, and never have to worry about Steam or its level of copy-protection ever again.

Patches excluded, but then you just repeat the process as Steam updates the game folder that's still inside Steam.

Paradox COULD make it so that the game exe is locked to Steam so you can't do this "trick" anymore, but I'd consider it very unlikely that they will.

I have most of my Paradox games from Gamersgate, but I would have absolutely zero problems if they switched to Steam for all of their future titles. Especially since maybe three-fourths of my 500 game collection are already on Steam in the first place. Hell, I might just re-buy all their previous titles on Steam anyway, just to throw in more support and so I never have to worry about patching.

I would just assume stay with GG, as the entirety of my three-game collection is already there.

I would just assume stay with GG, as the entirety of my three-game collection is already there.
Well yeah but what I'm saying is that Paradox games are so loosely tied to Steam that after installing them (and relocating the game folder) and setting up a direct shortcut to the executable, the game has about as much copy protection as a Paradox game bought from GG, which is to say, virtually none on both counts.

* I would just as soon

Twas Steam resetting itself and patching games I took precaution to keep unpatched that kindled my wroth, in grievance for cherished saves foully slain.