+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Heart of Darkness going to be released on GG?

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Is Heart of Darkness going to be released on GG?

Probably most of you already know, but EUIV will be Steam only and apparently this looks like a business decision that will be carried toward all Paradox future releases. In my case, I have most of my Paradox games bought from GG, apart from Cities in Motion. But what would happen with Heart of Darkness (and by logic, the Old Gods expansion for CKII)? Are we supposed to expect that previously released Paradox games to receive new releases for any future expansions/DLCs on GG and other platforms or are we all going to migrate to Steam in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by MercutioUK View Post
    Probably most of you already know, but EUIV will be Steam only and apparently this looks like a business decision that will be carried toward all Paradox future releases. In my case, I have most of my Paradox games bought from GG, apart from Cities in Motion. But what would happen with Heart of Darkness (and by logic, the Old Gods expansion for CKII)? Are we supposed to expect that previously released Paradox games to receive new releases for any future expansions/DLCs on GG and other platforms or are we all going to migrate to Steam in the near future?
    New titles I will expect to be Steam-only, expansions for existing titles I reckon (and hope) will be available through GG so long as it may last.
    "It aint the fly you mind so much as where he's been."

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesRome Gold
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by EUnderhill View Post
    New titles I will expect to be Steam-only, expansions for existing titles I reckon (and hope) will be available through GG so long as it may last.
    I'm hope so too, but one example I have are the Neocore games (like Lionheart and King Arthur), which I bought them on GG and they stopped support for any platforms other than Steam (The last DLCs for Lionheart for example were Steam only, and I didn't know). In the end GG sent Steam activation codes to all owners. I've always liked the fact that GG users usually doesn't have any installation issues as Steam users have. Steam only would be far from ideal in this case, I have to say.

58 games registered

I think it would be a pretty substantial F-You to their loyal fanbase, many of who only started using gamersgate to support Paradox, to prevent them buying an expansion pack for a game that many of us already bought all the DLC and expansions, unless we paid for them all a second time. I doubt that Paradox would do that half way through a game's life cycle. Frederick seems like a reasonable enough fellow, who seems to genuinely have a concern for his companies reputation and fan base, from what little I've talked to him. Moving to steam for a new game? Sure. Doing it half way through a game's lifespan? No.
    AARs:
    Barrett's Privateers - A Nova Scotia Victoria AAR - Dead. Planned for resurrection

Mods:

Second Modernity
    Explore the years 2036 to 2136 with this mod of Victoria II
    In production
    ------
    [QUOTE_32N]

Johan's Home Account Paradox Dev Team Balor's Avatar
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

If the basegame is non-steam, then so will expansions be.

Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    Thanks!!

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireKing Arthur II
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black CoveVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator ExtremesSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesV2 AHD BetaPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    That's good, but what about new games? I will be split between wanting to vote down Steam with my wallet and wanting to support a good games company...What to do, what to do.

You should never put all your eggs in one basket. Hell, I'd pay $5 extra for a gamersgate or at least non-Steam version of any game.

Chairman of the Bear Republic joelzhl's Avatar
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

Lately I've found Amazon to be a great place to buy games online. They offer the same version as GG and a lot of the times have the same discount as Steam, but without the Steam restriction. I bought quite a few expansions over Amazon over the past year.

Thanks so much Paradox - I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy the whole game again to get the new expansion.

(thought I totally would have - but then I might not be able to buy East vs. West too, now I totally can )

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3For the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

I have not used Steam to download/play any games. Does anyone know if you can download the game to a laptop, archive it, and then load it on a desktop? I have used this process for my Paradox games as I don't have an internet connection at home and don't intend to subrcribe just for gaming. So if the answer is no and Paradox doesn't release the games via gamersgate or a CD, I will be content with playing existing titles (e.g., V2, HOI3, EU3). or I may start exploring other strategy game offerings which are interesting and don't require an internet connection to play.

Thanks in advance to any forum member who enlightens me about Steam.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldVictoria: RevolutionsSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by SiRanger View Post
    I have not used Steam to download/play any games. Does anyone know if you can download the game to a laptop, archive it, and then load it on a desktop? I have used this process for my Paradox games as I don't have an internet connection at home and don't intend to subrcribe just for gaming. So if the answer is no and Paradox doesn't release the games via gamersgate or a CD, I will be content with playing existing titles (e.g., V2, HOI3, EU3). or I may start exploring other strategy game offerings which are interesting and don't require an internet connection to play.

Yes you can

A Game of DwarvesCities in MotionCrusader Kings IISword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    War of the RosesV2 BetaKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEUIV: Call to arms event
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by SiRanger View Post

You sure can - Paradox haven't locked their games to the Steam application (yet) so you can limit yourself to only using Steam for the base download itself and then just run and update the games manually without ever running steam.

Quote Originally Posted by tului View Post
    That's good, but what about new games? I will be split between wanting to vote down Steam with my wallet and wanting to support a good games company...What to do, what to do. You should never put all your eggs in one basket. Hell, I'd pay $5 extra for a gamersgate or at least non-Steam version of any game.
    The vast, super majority of CK2 buyers bought the Steam version. The number of people who opted for the GamersGate version was so small that EU4 is going to be Steam only. You should expect other future projects to be Steam exclusive as well.

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Jia Xu View Post
    The vast, super majority of CK2 buyers bought the Steam version. The number of people who opted for the GamersGate version was so small that EU4 is going to be Steam only. You should expect other future projects to be Steam exclusive as well.

thanks Paradox

STEAM > ALL

Oberkommando HOI4 Paradox Dev Team podcat's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyDiplomacyFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuVictoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

yes, GG version afaik.
    Reject reason to make the impossible possible!

Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: RevolutionsSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by tului View Post
    That's good, but what about new games? I will be split between wanting to vote down Steam with my wallet and wanting to support a good games company...What to do, what to do.

You should never put all your eggs in one basket. Hell, I'd pay $5 extra for a gamersgate or at least non-Steam version of any game.
    Agreed. I'd even pay $10 more. Seriously, seriously disappointed about EU4.

Anyway, glad that Victoria 2:HOD won't require Steam.
    John 3:16

King James Version (KJV)

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Paradox games are a lot more "Steam-friendly" than a lot of other games: You need to install the game through Steam, but then you can go into your Steam folder, dig out the entire game folder, copy it, paste it to C:\Games\ or whatever, run the exe directly from this new folder, and never have to worry about Steam or its level of copy-protection ever again.

Patches excluded, but then you just repeat the process as Steam updates the game folder that's still inside Steam.

Paradox COULD make it so that the game exe is locked to Steam so you can't do this "trick" anymore, but I'd consider it very unlikely that they will.

I have most of my Paradox games from Gamersgate, but I would have absolutely zero problems if they switched to Steam for all of their future titles. Especially since maybe three-fourths of my 500 game collection are already on Steam in the first place. Hell, I might just re-buy all their previous titles on Steam anyway, just to throw in more support and so I never have to worry about patching.

Quote Originally Posted by gradenko_2000 View Post
    Paradox games are a lot more "Steam-friendly" than a lot of other games: You need to install the game through Steam, but then you can go into your Steam folder, dig out the entire game folder, copy it, paste it to C:\Games\ or whatever, run the exe directly from this new folder, and never have to worry about Steam or its level of copy-protection ever again.

Patches excluded, but then you just repeat the process as Steam updates the game folder that's still inside Steam.

Paradox COULD make it so that the game exe is locked to Steam so you can't do this "trick" anymore, but I'd consider it very unlikely that they will.

I have most of my Paradox games from Gamersgate, but I would have absolutely zero problems if they switched to Steam for all of their future titles. Especially since maybe three-fourths of my 500 game collection are already on Steam in the first place. Hell, I might just re-buy all their previous titles on Steam anyway, just to throw in more support and so I never have to worry about patching.
    I would just assume stay with GG, as the entirety of my three-game collection is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by EUnderhill View Post
    I would just assume stay with GG, as the entirety of my three-game collection is already there.
    Well yeah but what I'm saying is that Paradox games are so loosely tied to Steam that after installing them (and relocating the game folder) and setting up a direct shortcut to the executable, the game has about as much copy protection as a Paradox game bought from GG, which is to say, virtually none on both counts.

* I would just as soon

Twas Steam resetting itself and patching games I took precaution to keep unpatched that kindled my wroth, in grievance for cherished saves foully slain.

+ Reply to Thread