• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Hibernian

*sigh* The thing with Wikipedia is that it's an encyclopedia every-fecking-one can edit xD. And that Moscow prehistory section is the most ridiculous shite I've read in a good while :)

There are Baltic, Finnic and Slavic etymologies to the name of Moscow, and I'm inclined towards the former being the most probable (beacuse the majority of other toponymics, f.ex. "Mojaisk", in the region is Balto-Slavic too). Anyways even on the in-game map it would look more nicely to give it to Viatichi. "The earliest East Slavic tribes recorded as having expanded to the upper Volga in the 9th to 10th centuries are the Vyatichi and Krivichi."

I'm not sure which area you're talking about though. Do you mean the area of modern-day Zakarpattia Oblast of Ukraine? If so, I think that area is represented on the CK2 map as the county of Bereg, which I already have as Slavic.

I'm talking about White Croatia, of which modern Zakarpatye is a small part.

Yeah that's approximately where I've put them, though I don't know whether there was Slavs living there too.

There were, at least near the lake Blatno http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balaton_Principality

Well they weren't wiped out, their Khanate was defeated but they were definately still the majority of the population in parts of Hungary, since they were still there when the Magyars came (and probably assimilated them). Probably it was mostly Slavic on the West side of the Danube and mostly Avar on the East side. You could probably move the cultures around a bit to make it more realistic.

The Primary Chronicle states the following:

"...The Avars were large of stature and arrogant of spirit, and God destroyed them. They all perished, and not one Avar survived. There is to this day a proverb in Rus' which runs, “They perished like the Avars.” Neither race nor heir of them remains. The Pechenegs came after them, and the Magyars passed by Kiev later during the time of Oleg."

Whether it's a historic anecdote or some substantial info is up to everyone to decide.

As for the Abauj county in the game, I think that area represents Northern Hungary (the modern country's borders), which is flat, not mountainous. Look, here's the map that I worked out for where modern countries are located on the CK2 map:

I'd say that "Abauj" represents Zakarpatie also. But whatever floats your boat. The map is... well mostly correct in terms of the game :)

Last edited:
what year is this map? weird lookin' one

It's a map of the modern nations over the Crusader Kings provinces. I'm actually surprised I was able to map it so well, since every nation has at least one county (except South Ossetia and Transnistria and the European Micro-States).

Right.
All of the "which province SHOULD have what religion" at the start of the scenario aside... Do we have any ideas about (I just wanted to write "do we know anything...", but that cannot be...) how voluntary, or semi-voluntary, conversions (yes, to the only true faith!! Ehmm... Or for that matter... maybe to ANY faith that seems righ/powerful enough and is, or is not, neighbouring? Events, anyone?) are going to work? Because they, clearly, have to be there! My knowledge of history seems limited to me, but I do believe some time by the second half of the 10th century some guy who had spent quite a bit of time trying to intimidate every other Slav around him into a form of submission, decided to call himself a King of Poland, and that trick apparently required a religeous conversion. And the good Emperor (of HRE, ja?) did baptise the guy (and all of his underlings by proxy) and grant him this and that. [People who actually know the history of 10th century Eastern/Central Europe are requested to put their flames down - as stated above, I have just a wee clue. Sorry if anybody went for their flame-throwers - no need, no need kind Sers! No offence etc.]
Now again, [no flames, please!] games like Total War Whatever Viking Invasion (don't remember the exact name, although it did take a few hundreds hours from me. Oh, and the music, the music!!), tried to force conversion on the player by making it just not so... useful to stick to the old faith (sort of technology-wise). I wonder how it (both of the above) is going to play with this expansion. And, obviously, I am more than eager to hear what you think.

I must say, the OP's pic of the Slavic neo-pagans is exceptionally badass, they look like everything every western neo-pagan movement wants to be.

Well the main reason for this is that most western neo-pagans, at least in the US, are wicca and not reconstructionist. I don't think i've ever even heard of reconstructionist groups being in the US.

It's a map of the modern nations over the Crusader Kings provinces. I'm actually surprised I was able to map it so well, since every nation has at least one county (except South Ossetia and Transnistria and the European Micro-States).

Mainly good, although the country limitation shows in places, like the enormous Gaza Strip. Also, a note, the province of Eliat should be owned by Israel giving them access to the Red Sea.

Would be cool if Slavs would get some unique army models. Something like this perhaps?

wslavs.jpg

Nice map, but where did you get it from? Is that some game?

My own work for purposes of my CK1 AAR, (including 3d models which I've made for unfinished Slavic M2TW mod).

Cool, but did you actually mod CK2? Those aren't vanilla provinces, I mean.

Provinces are based on Mappa Regnorum mod for CK1.

@Dragovit - no hate man, I'm living in Kujawy myself ;) Just wanted to include only major tribes on that one.