• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(606777)

Colonel
29 Badges
Nov 28, 2012
  • For The Glory
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
solstice06.jpg

It's been really exiting to know about "the Old Gods". It's especially interesting to read about Rurik's invitation to Russia in the preview. This implies that Russia would be given some attention.

Considering how before 988 the overwhelming majority of Russia's population (and also Slavonic lands of Laba, Odra, Visla and Balkans) was practicing Slavonic paganism, it's crucial for the better immersion in game to give it proper representation. In fact Slavonic peoples was the biggest pagan group in Europe of that timeframe. Some Slavonic tribes of Russia, like Viatichi, being superficialy Christianized retained their paganism well into 14th century. The Slavonic peoples having Romuva as their religion in current CKII is of course ridiculous.

So, for Slavic paganism we don't have a single contemporary compiled source, like the Norse Eddas (which were compiled in Iceland in 13th century). Instead we have info scattered into many works of the missionaries and preachers. We have plenty of contemporary info in church chronicles of the Bulgarian churches, Wendish dioceses and Kievan Rus' church teachings against paganism. Significant amount of info was gathered through folklore, archeology and linguistics.

Major Slavonic Gods are:

Perun the Thunderer - The warrior God, was a chief of the later pantheon throughout all Slavonic lands.

Veles - The good of wealth and magic.

Mati Syra Zemlia (or Mokosh) - The Earth Mother.

Mara - The Death Goddess.

Jiva - Goddess of fertility.

Lada - Goddess of love.

Yarilo - One of the most venerated solar deities.

Svarog - God of fire, sometimes described as a smith god.

There are dozens more, and even more of the lesser gods, consult wiki for more general info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_gods

Some vids:

[video=youtube;Dab5g0LtMwI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dab5g0LtMwI[/video]

[video=youtube;wxBuxbDWsgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxBuxbDWsgg[/video]

Awesome thread Dragovit!

Sorry but i just cant help myself, this is the first thing that comes to mind when i think of Slavic Gods:

[video=youtube;SgXlUxDGFvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgXlUxDGFvU[/video]

[video=youtube;A7fuuDc2hH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7fuuDc2hH0[/video]

0_96be1_7f9e8e7_orig

Some pretty pics:

0_96c47_d513d22a_orig

0_96c49_4142b553_orig

0_96bd0_790670be_orig

0_96bed_fb7ea635_orig

0_96c36_a5d3bce7_orig

0_96bc2_2dc38d9e_orig

0_96c3d_dae9913b_orig

0_96be5_52844d2b_orig

0_96be4_c1974fa_orig

0_96be2_c96d3f08_orig

0_96c24_bd6eea91_orig

0_96c68_1fdec33c_orig

0_96bcd_ef8c83ad_orig

0_96c57_596b50c3_orig

0_96bd2_8121cbe8_orig

0_96c4c_eefaf328_orig

0_96c50_ffb34029_orig

0_96c69_5de0dce9_orig

0_96c37_d567d6d0_orig

0_96c2b_3ee03669_orig

0_96c15_81e9636a_orig

0_96c44_d5d4834_orig

0_96c51_e8553d94_orig

0_96bc7_b6bca388_orig

0_96bcf_cb5d7b3f_orig

0_96bf3_60229289_orig

0_96c0f_1851434c_orig

0_96c23_b4364b8c_orig

0_96c2a_ff191c74_orig

@DanubianCossak

Good ones, mate!

@Sielgaudys

Balto-Slavic lingustic and cultural unity existed for a really long time.

Last edited:
Nice pictures, but does this thread have any point other then posting pics?

I assume the issue is that Slavic Paganism needs to be a separate religion to the Baltic Pagan religion (Romuva), and I certainly agree with that, but what should it be called in-game, Rodnovery?

Umm, yeah, perhaps I didn't make my point clear enough.

The point being - please make a separate branch of paganism - Slavic paganism. Not Romuva, not just generic "paganism", please add some flavour. "Rodnovery" is a modern word, meaning "native faith". We don't know if it was used back then. But I guess it will do for the game, being shorter than "Slavonic paganism".

I provided a list of Gods, that could be used, in case the new system would be anything similar to EU:Rome pagan religions.

I also provided some pics so people (and hopefully - the developers) would grasp the concept and the atmosphere of Slavonic paganism and it's universe, because it's a virtually unknown thing outside Slavonic countries.

Moar:

0_ab355_fa2db5eb_XXL.jpg

86fce6c79d15.jpg

app_full_proxy.php

vsevolod_ivanov_vedicheskaya_rus_v_kartinkax_readmas.ru_1.jpg

78527273_osravnodenavsen01.jpg

35138576_Vsevolod_Ivanov_Hram_Sventovida.JPG

5785003218767b445027f4d68a3.jpg

Thanks for the interesting pics, man.
With the buildings, I can really see their influence on later East Slavic architecture.

The point being - please make a separate branch of paganism - Slavic paganism. Not Romuva, not just generic "paganism", please add some flavour. "Rodnovery" is a modern word, meaning "native faith".

Which we are getting. Splitting them off from Romuva was confirmed by a developer. :D

About Rodnovery, though: What is your feeling on "Slavianstvo" as a general one specific to the culture? Like how Suomenusko is "Finnish Belief".

I like "Slavianstvo" specially since "slava" (at least in modern languages) means "glory" or "celebration". Where in the old days, for example, my Serbian ancestors would celebrate one of the Slavic gods (a chosen deity), today, in Christian tradition, basically the same thing lives on - only instead of pagan gods, we now have patron saints, which we celebrate once a year (it can last for a number of days) and this whole thing is still, surprisingly, called "slava". Not to mention all the merging of old beliefs with Christianity.

I must say, the OP's pic of the Slavic neo-pagans is exceptionally badass, they look like everything every western neo-pagan movement wants to be.

Slavonic Pagan rituals just make me think of this:

[video=youtube;aGFRwKQqbk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGFRwKQqbk4[/video]

I think I'll be blasting 3:40 as I tear into neighboring Christian lands! :rofl:

Which we are getting. Splitting them off from Romuva was confirmed by a developer. :D

Orly? Kewl!

About Rodnovery, though: What is your feeling on "Slavianstvo" as a general one specific to the culture? Like how Suomenusko is "Finnish Belief".

Both Rodnovery and Slavianstvo are fine by me. "Slavonic faith" direct translation would be Slavianska Vera.