• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
>An unciv DLC
>Shutting you out of Africa and Asia
> I would never buy Victoria ever again

Basically, no.

The entire intent behind the DLC model is cross-compatibility between games with different DLCs involved. So if I'm using the hyper-super-duper 312-good economy with realistic banking and international trade DLC, and you're not, we couldn't play multiplayer together.

What would happen instead is, DLCs would unlock certain features for certain players - so since I have the 'unciv' DLC, I can play as Persia and use the unciv mechanics, while only the AI can use them in your game. They still operate in the background, and are still patched into your game... it's just that you can't use them yourself until you pay for the DLC.

A-ha...I envisioned MP compatibility coming by playing at the lowest common denominator of the players involved; the vanilla mechanic unless all had the DLC. Thanks for crushing my dreams...I'll just go shovel more snow now.

Could we ever see a combination of these two models? Say for CKII, if the developers decided that some core mechanic needed to be changed rather than just added, could there be at least one compulsory expansion plus the little DLCs?

Depending on which pieces of code change, it could result in incompatible DLCs (at least for a short while) and the need to own the expansion to get future DLCs, which would not be very good.

Could we ever see a combination of these two models? Say for CKII, if the developers decided that some core mechanic needed to be changed rather than just added, could there be at least one compulsory expansion plus the little DLCs?

Not really; part of the CK2 approach is that such changes are patch-based. All the changes of Sword of Islam or the Republic are in base-game CK2 now. If I load up my (completely un-DLC'd) CK2, I have Islamic Caliphs who suffer decadence, and Republics with families fighting over them. I just can't play as them. You get the 'expansion' for free, in effect, but you don't get to take advantage of the changes yourself without owning it.

So in a putative V3 with such a DLC model, you'd expect regular patches which altered game mechanics in line with what was required for the latest DLC. If a core mechanic needs changing, then Paradox change it and release it for free. Different gameplay experiences are 'unlocked' by DLC, but are present in the game even if you don't have the DLC. So say they wanted to fundamentally change how the WM works - that's a freebie which you get automatically for owning the game. However, if you (say) wanted to play as a popular movement in a country, then you'd need to buy the 'V3: Jacobin Uprising' DLC which allows you to pick playing as the Jaconbin Rebels.

Not really; part of the CK2 approach is that such changes are patch-based. All the changes of Sword of Islam or the Republic are in base-game CK2 now. If I load up my (completely un-DLC'd) CK2, I have Islamic Caliphs who suffer decadence, and Republics with families fighting over them. I just can't play as them. You get the 'expansion' for free, in effect, but you don't get to take advantage of the changes yourself without owning it.

So in a putative V3 with such a DLC model, you'd expect regular patches which altered game mechanics in line with what was required for the latest DLC. If a core mechanic needs changing, then Paradox change it and release it for free. Different gameplay experiences are 'unlocked' by DLC, but are present in the game even if you don't have the DLC. So say they wanted to fundamentally change how the WM works - that's a freebie which you get automatically for owning the game. However, if you (say) wanted to play as a popular movement in a country, then you'd need to buy the 'V3: Jacobin Uprising' DLC which allows you to pick playing as the Jaconbin Rebels.

Yeah - I missed out on the whole "unlocking" angle. In some respects that would make me LESS likely to buy a DLC, because my motivation would have been to allow the AI republics and caliphs to be upgraded, even if I was personally less inclined to play them myself. When it comes to core mechanics I would be looking for changes for my own game that I would not wish on other players not so inclined, especially while they are still asking five questions a day, and would be willing to pay for it as an option along with the others looking for an advanced mechanic, rather than get something for free imposed on players not liking the changes.

One would also have to consider whether or not CK2's "unlocking" model is compatible with Victoria in the first place: It'd be weird for Paradox to start segregating countries into playable and not-playable when previous iterations of the games have allowed you to play as anyone, compared to CK2 where the ability to play Muslims and Republics and Pagans needs to be paid for, but is a paid-for improvement over CK1's feudal lords only.

One would also have to consider whether or not CK2's "unlocking" model is compatible with Victoria in the first place: It'd be weird for Paradox to start segregating countries into playable and not-playable when previous iterations of the games have allowed you to play as anyone, compared to CK2 where the ability to play Muslims and Republics and Pagans needs to be paid for, but is a paid-for improvement over CK1's feudal lords only.

This is another reason why the model isn't really backward-compatible. Considering how to apply a DLC-based model to the game needs to be built into the initial design phase of development. Essentially, the new policy concentrates on getting 'core' mechanics right for the initial release, and stripping away other stuff for later inclusion as DLC. This means shallower, but considerably more polished games at release, with replay value being added over time through the DLC model.

Last edited:
All this talk of hypothetical V3 DLCs has me wanting to play as a political party for some reason...
complete with fleshed out politician characters.

Great, thanks Paradox for this!
Does anybody know (with the talk of naval enhancement) if a sailor class will be added? Also it would be nice to have colonial units only to be recruited in the colonies.:)

Last edited:
>An unciv DLC
>Shutting you out of Africa and Asia
> I would never buy Victoria ever again

Vic 3 DLCs:

shogunate DLC
german minors DLC
Communism Rise DLC
South America Mess DLC
Unciv DLC
Zulu Invasion DLC
ACW DLC (play with confederates)

Ulm DLC
World War 1 DLC (timeline extension from 1899 to 1920)
Naval DLC (allows you to control navies)
Asian DLC (lets you play as China, which is nerfed by making every province independent)

Awesome, full size unmodified pictures instead of the ones used in the guessing game on Victoria now :)

They show Naval menpower (great!), as well as what looks like harbor caps (caps on how many upgraded harbors you can have)... as well as the new railways, which don't so much look like only from and to state capitals as suggested before, but actually like from and to places period! :) (So 2 adjecent railway stations don't necessarily have to be connected anymore?)

Victoria III : Revolution Time with Lenin und Trotzky

This is another reason why the model isn't really backward-compatible. Considering how to apply a DLC-based model to the game needs to be built into the initial design phase of development. Essentially, the new policy concentrates on getting 'core' mechanics right for the initial release, and stripping away other stuff for later inclusion as DLC. This means shallower, but considerably more polished games at release, with replay value being added over time through the DLC model.

Yup. its something you have to design in from the start of the core game if it is supposed to affect gameplay. We couldnt do an "unciv DLC" because we would have to lock you out of playing them, which wouldnt be ok since they have special mechanics and such already meaning that you'd actually remove value from people who didnt get the DLC and liked the old unciv system.

Oh, podcat. In HoD colonization would be like in Vic I and PoN? I said about tradeposts, missionary, forts and others.

I really would like it if government changes were more gradual too.

Currently becoming a communist nation happens something like this:

2cy4br4.gif

A+ for gif usage.

Oh my! Great addition. I still haven´t had much time to play Victoria 2, since I´m still busy playing all the other Paradox games I´ve recently purchased, over and over. Now I guess will be the right time to give it a serious try.

Oh, and one last thing (sorry, but I couldn´t resist):

Please add some events regarding the Paraguayan war! is it possible?

No built in paraguayan war events as well! :(