• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RealityGuy

Marshall
Jan 12, 2013
www.youtube.com
Hello people. I am starting my own mod, and as not many people offered their help, I will have to do it myself. But I have never modded anything so are there some nice guides for beginners?
Also if someone wants to help, message me please

It depends on the scope of your mod, there is a modding documentation folder in the darkest hour game files, and Hoi2 wiki has some modding pages that apply to DH as well. Most modding is just repetition the main difficulty for a beginner is navigating to the correct folders which can be confusing and frustrating at first but becomes second nature eventually. In regards to people not offering to help you'll find with this forum pretty much everyone is working on a mod and is tied up.

Some beginner tips:

> Download a good stable mod, NWO, Kaiserreich for example and learn from their style
> Use the guides in the modding documentation and those on HOI wiki
> When your stuck on something ask a specific question and you will get a specific answer it'll speed up the whole process
> Fire up the game after you complete every piece of work to ensure their are no unexplained crashes (don't do 3 hours work and find that the game crashes, you'll have no idea why)
> ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR WORK before you embark on a new series of changes

Last edited:
It depends on the scope of your mod, there is a modding documentation folder in the darkest hour game files, and Hoi2 wiki has some modding pages that apply to DH as well. Most modding is just repetition the main difficulty for a beginner is navigating to the correct folders which can be confusing and frustrating at first but becomes second nature eventually. In regards to people not offering to help you'll find with this forum pretty much everyone is working on a mod and is tied up.

Some beginner tips:

> Download a good stable mod, NWO, Kaiserreich for example and learn from their style
> Use the guides in the modding documentation and those on HOI wiki
> When your stuck on something ask a specific question and you will get a specific answer it'll speed up the whole process
> Fire up the game after you complete every piece of work to ensure their are no unexplained crashes (don't do 3 hours work and find that the game crashes, you'll have no idea why)
> ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR WORK before you embark on a new series of changes
thank you. Really helpful

Some other things:

If you are having an error (normally province-related) halfway through loading a scenario, click ignore to see if it loads and then quit and find "savedebug.txt" in your Darkest Hour (not DH Full or mod) folder. At the bottom of the file should be some helpful stuff about why you are not getting it to work.

Don't be afraid to use the stickied mod help forums.

If you find you want an event to do something similar to one that is found in the game, look through the default event file for that nation. OR C:\Games\Darkest Hour\Modding documentation\event commands.

Explore the files in your free time, if you can be bothered.

I would recommend against modeling Kaiserreich as a learning method. Code quality there is inconsistent (sorry, but it is true! not to say the mod isn't fun). AAR, NWO2, and WIF2 have good quality control. I haven't played Mod 1914 or other mods, so I can't say about those.