• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know the feeling - I'm a bit lost regarding all of the republic features as well. And I'm not even playing one - the Swedish republicans are throwing a humongous wrench into the kingdom wars with their massive mercenary armies left and right. And all the random trade post raiding. :happy:

Reactions:
It's just frustrating trying to figure out how to do simple things, a short manual would have gone a long way.

I'm playing Genoa. I get a notification that a plot has been discovered about the Spinola family to seize the trade post of Genoa. Cool! Okay, so I try to imprison him, he rebels, and I win. He goes to jail. So I now want to seize the Spinola trade post in Nice but... how do I do it? I see no options in Diplomacy. I see no Intrigue option to do so (how did they start a plot to seize mine, then?). I also couldn't figure out how to declare trade wars with rival Republics either.

Basically, this DLC seems to have some cool stuff but there is no documentation, instructions, or tutorials that I've found. This is extremely shoddy which is a damn shame for something as polished as CKII.

"Seize a trade post" is a plot, aviable in the Intrigue window.
To be able to try and seize a Trade post, your family must have its own TP neighboring the one you desire. Then you need at least 3 people backing the plot and at least 75% support and you can choose option in the intrigue menu "seize the post". The higher support you have, the less this costs.

Good thing is can choose supporters from around the entire republic, not just your house and your rival's house.

If you are Patrician under the Doge, you can declare war to seize trade posts from rival patricians, but not the Doge. If one fmaily has many (10?) more TPs than you, you can ask the Doge to give you some of theirs (If they have high enough stats they can refuse). You can also take neighboring TPs by plot.

If you are Doge, you can't declare war inside your republic anymore. You can squash rebels, but as you found out that doesn't give you their TP. You have to take TPs by plot, and that means you (your family) have to have a TP next door to your target.

For rival republics, you can start a war as Doge to take one of their trade posts, one of their coastal cities (besides their capital), or the usual fabricated or inheirited claim wars, all of which show up under declare war when you pick the CB you want to use. Embargo wars have to involve a third party. You contact whatever feudal lord has the most of their TP in his lands or who hates them the most and ask to embargo, then select their republic from the list. You send the gold, he sends the troops, and you split the profits from razing all their TP in his land if you win the war.

And yes, it's frustrating that the only existing DLC manual was written in dozens of scattered threads by the users on this board, but the forum's always been the best way to learn the real nuts and bolts of a Paradox game anyway.

Edit: Emu'd. When plotting try to get 150% plot power, then the other family doesn't even get the option to start a bribe bidding war over the TP, they just give up. Every man in my court is married to the nastiest scheming bitch I can find in all the world for this reason.

"Seize a trade post" is a plot, aviable in the Intrigue window.
To be able to try and seize a Trade post, your family must have its own TP neighboring the one you desire. Then you need at least 3 people backing the plot and at least 75% support and you can choose option in the intrigue menu "seize the post". The higher support you have, the less this costs.

Good thing is can choose supporters from around the entire republic, not just your house and your rival's house.

Yes there is the plot option, but there's also a CB. I've declared war this way and won several times, but the majority of the time the CB seems unavailable, and declare war option is greyed out on all other family heads.

From what I've determined thus far you can only declare a trade war when the other family has a nicer palace than yours, the moon is waxing, Jupiter and Neptune are aligned, and the Swedish royal family is eating breakfast.

Edit: Actually, Pode's ninja post seems correct with my current experimentation. Thanks for demystifying this!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ah! Okay, so I found that if I go to the Patrician character, the only plot I can see is Assassinate. Yet if I go to the intrigue window as mentioned above, I can see a plot to seize the trade post. A little clunky, but glad I got that working (and the Doge restrictions within the Republic make clear other issues I was having).

Got another question: Retinues. I built up my retinue via the family Palace and then recruited them. My character then died and I'm no longer the Doge and now my retinue has disappeared. I still see that I'm using up 900/1000 retinue points, but I cannot raise them from what I can see. Are retinues only available if you're the Doge and if not, how do I raise them?

Got another question: Retinues. I built up my retinue via the family Palace and then recruited them. My character then died and I'm no longer the Doge and now my retinue has disappeared. I still see that I'm using up 900/1000 retinue points, but I cannot raise them from what I can see.
It's a bug - there are a few threads in the Bug forum about it. Saving and reloading may resolve it.

They didn't disappear, most likely. Others have reported that the new Doge gets to control them while you get stuck with the bill and the cap use. If they did actually disappear, pop over to the bug reporting forum and find a relevant thread to post your savegame in, as it may help highlight what's going on and how best to fix it. In the meantime, save and reload might clear it up.

Thanks a bunch for the assistance guys. It looks like due to some bugs (I can't interact with the Trade Post window/icon, it flickers constantly and won't let me click it) I'm going to have to wait to dig into the game until the patch this week. Thanks to all your help I should be able to hit the ground running, though!

I really do dislike the lack of an updated a manual. The lack of documentation combined with some bugs were really putting me off on the game!

Sorry for necroposting this, but I just picked up this DLC (and every other one).

I have trade ports adjacent to competing tradeports, but the plot doesn't seem to appear (either on the character, or on the intrigue screen). I even made sure I had 4/5 trade ports before starting (not sure if that is necessary), but I am definitely having issues with these plots. Am I missing something? Did it maybe break with new patches/DLC?

This was the top hit on google, so I figure others will come to this thread as well. Cheers.

Hmmm, I've never seen a plot option to take other trade posts. However, I have had the diplomatic option to declare war against rival patricians and take their posts. This was available when I was no longer Doge. However, after taking over two trade posts from rivals, the option disappeared. In the end I had four TPs (two won via war) while all my rivals had one or none. I suspect the option becomes unavailable if you're excessively powerful. I'm not definite, though.

Sorry for necroposting this, but I just picked up this DLC (and every other one).

I have trade ports adjacent to competing tradeports, but the plot doesn't seem to appear (either on the character, or on the intrigue screen). I even made sure I had 4/5 trade ports before starting (not sure if that is necessary), but I am definitely having issues with these plots. Am I missing something? Did it maybe break with new patches/DLC?

This was the top hit on google, so I figure others will come to this thread as well. Cheers.
Some changes were made to the plot in patches. See changelogs for 1.091 and 1.092...
IIRC, you can't plot this if you're the doge or have more TPs than the rivaling family.