• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dovahkiing

Watcher on the Walls
16 Badges
Jan 22, 2012
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Odo_bayeux_tapestry-1.png

Since I like to think of my AARs (especially the narrative ones) as TV shows...
SEASON 1: MY BROTHER, THE BASTARD

EPISODE 1
THE OFFICIAL THEME MUSIC (LIFTED FROM SIMON SCHAMA'S A HISTORY OF BRITAIN):
[video=youtube;O3JJ5dXEZ4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3JJ5dXEZ4c[/video]

odoofkent.jpg

Then
14 October, 1066
Senlac Hill
England
Surprisingly, the autumn sun was beating down on them as they gazed up at the ax-wielders at the top of the hill.
Odo had been told that England was usually a grim, cloudy, rainy country, especially in the fall and winter, but here it was October and the sun was shining on him and his fellow knights on their horses, and glittering off the axes of the Saxons waiting for them.
Odo looked around him. All over the Norman lines, knights ran their fingers over their chain-mail, as if they were trying to confirm its protection. In the back, he caught someone's gaze.
After a moment, he realized it was his brother's.
William, 'the Bastard' as his enemies called him, Duke of Normandy, gave the order, and the archers fired.
Up, up, the shafts of death made their way up until they seemed to pierce the sun itself, then plummeted over the Saxon ranks, smashing into hauberk and shield, into throat and chest.
It had begun.

Odo held on to the reins of his black horse, Broyeur, tightly. Until the order was given, they were to stay put and not try to ride up the hill.
In the meantime, the footsoldiers ran up Senlac Hill, shouting obscenities while those fools who truly believed that Harold, the current king of England, really was a despoiler of churches and an oath-breaker shouted: "For God's Holy Church and the True King!"

Finally, William's herald and toady, William, Count of Eu, gave the order to ride.
Battle_of_Hastings_Norman_Knights_Charge.jpg

Odo dug hard into Broyeur's flesh with his spurs and was shaken as the black horse ran up the hill, as the Saxons fired at them.
Battle-of-Hastings.jpg

The Normans crashed into the Saxon footsoldiers with a thud of steel meeting leather and the cries of the mortally wounded.
Odo deflected a spear thrust and decapitated the perpetrator with a great swoosh of his sword, Rèmede, through the air.
It was no pushover, nothing like the charge-stab-deflect-victory easy time William had promised them back in Rouen.
Unlike him, these men had not been drawn to this muddy hill by the promise of loot, lands, women or absolution. No, the king's men had come and recruited them, and they came bearing their spears, their swords, their leather jerkins and even their pitchforks because they did not want greedy knights like him as their lords.
After an hour or so of fighting, Odo, bloodied and weary, realized something the mind-fog of battle and constant danger had blinded him to:
He was alone.

He had been one of the relatively few mounted survivors from the Saxon missile barrage, and now he detected something that sounded suspiciously like a cry of despair that pierced his ears from behind.
The sounds of clashing steel and leather were replaced by the sounds of panicked retreat on the Norman side, and joyful cries of Ut! Ut! on the Saxon side as Harold's men chased William's down the hill.
It was fading fast. The prospect of gaining lands and money that would enable him to step out of his bastard half-brother's shadow seemed dimmer and dimmer as the Normans fled down towards the camp near the foot of the hill.
He knew he had to do something immediately if there was to be any hope of him becoming anything more than a footnote, Duke William's forgotten half-brother.
Fortunately, his panicked brain came up with something that was not terribly original:
A shout.

He cried: "For God's sake, stand thy ground and defeat the infidel!" as he waved Rèmede above his head.
He was used to calling on God; he was a bishop after all.
Odo_bayeux_tapestry.png

An image from the Dover Tapestry depicting Odo rallying the Normans at Hastings

The Normans, Bretons, and Flemish suddenly turned around to face the originator of the shout as it faded from its clarity that had been achieved over the great din. Then, Odo found one of the papal banners that Pope Alexander had sent as a token of his support for this pious venture against the infidel Harold, and waved it, impervious to the indignant Saxon weapons.
The Duke's men, catching sight of the banner, took heart, for God, as represented by His Vicar on Earth, was with them. They turned around and fought with renewed vigor.
Odo gave the banner to a grateful Breton knight, then took hold of Rèmede again and resumed the physical side of warfare.
But then he heard the hooves of a familiar horse, one Broyeur neighed at in acknowledgement. Its name was Diable, and its rider's face was obscured by a helmet.
Of course, thought Odo, William.
The Duke gave him a cursory look, then said in a loud voice so he could be heard clearly over the battle:
"Well done, brother."
Odo thought he could see a sneer on William's obscured face as he rode away.

Then
December 25, 1066

Westminster Abbey

Near Lundenwic
As the chants of the monks faded away, William, Count of Eu, walked over, then knelt to the man who shared his name and now wore a crown that many thought was not rightfully his.
0001864.jpg

He cleared his throat, then spoke up with a booming voice:
"My dear lords, ladies, and people of our fair kingdom! I congratulate our new king on his receipt of the crown that should have been his almost a year ago when the beloved and pious Edward, builder of this great abbey passed away without a son. Now, my lord has some announcements he wishes to make concerning the governance of realm!
My lord, William, King of England, hereby appoints his faithful servant, Geoffrey de Mandeville as the new Count of Essex, as a ruler subject and owing fealty to King William.
My lord, William, King of England, hereby appoints his faithful servant, William de Crepon, as the new Count of Hereford, as a ruler subject and owing fealty to King William...."

The Count droned on and on with various appointments and confirmations of titles, such as the confirmation of Saxon Waltheof as Count of Northampton, and Odo de Conteville, standing a few paces to the right of his half-brother had almost shown a grave disrespect for the holy ceremony by being put to sleep by the unending and monotonous stream of bureaucracy, but fortunately a mention of him woke him up just in time, uttered by a hoarse-sounding William of Eu:
"And finally, my lord, William, King of England, hereby appoints his faithful servant, Odo de Conteville, as the new Count of Kent. His previous holding, the bishopric of Bayeux is hereby revoked in a measure to prevent a conflict of interests between his eccelesiastical and temporal duties."
Odo smiled. Finally, a county, as he had hoped for ever since he had pulled his brother's chestnuts out of the fire at Hastings. The revokation of his bishopric didn't bother him much; Church life was not much fun, nor was dealing with a bunch of spoilsport monks.
But he mastered his excitement. Asking a bystander, he discovered that the northern earls, the brothers Morcar and Edwin had not only retained their lands, but had been promoted to Dukes of Northumbria and Lancaster, respectively.

This was a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they would be rather grateful to William for allowing them to retain their lands after resisting him, especially when many of their peers were now dead on the battlefield of Hastings or dispossesed vagabonds such as the children of bygone Harold or his brother Tostig's sons.
On the other hand, they would not be especially pleased with or loyal to an invader who had usurped Harold, who had sided with the northern brothers in their quarrel with Tostig and had given them more or less free rein to do as they pleased in their lands.
And Waltheof? He was an unknown quality.

William of Eu sat down after announcing the feast.
Odo, as a nobleman and half-brother to the king, sat down above the salt, and was placed next to Waltheof, the young Saxon count of Northampton.
As the servants brought in the first meals, Waltheof turned to his neighbor, Morcar, and whispered: "Gytha's safe in Northampton."
Odo had been leaning over to Waltheof's side and as such he heard Waltheof's whisper. He asked him: "Gytha? The old king's daughter?"
Waltheof was visibly displeased at someone overhearing, especially a Norman, but denying it might look suspicious.
"Yes. What of her?"
Odo needed a countess. He did not want his lands to go to his brother, the Count of Mortain, and since he was no longer a bishop there were ways to release him from the law of St. Paul...
"Perhaps I could wed her? Kent needs a countess, after all..."
Waltheof's face took an appearence of displeasure at Odo's ignorance. "She's only thirteen years old. If you wait a bit, though..." Odo could detect a slight desire to get in good with the king's brother.

"Fair enough!" Odo exclaimed, drawing attention to him and the visibly uncomfortable young Saxon.
Waltheof's gaze seemed to wander, then rested on something. Then, it returned to Odo, and then he opened his mouth and said: "In the meantime, perhaps she could tide you over?"
Waltheof pointed at a twenty-looking garishly-dressed woman.
Odo smiled, then left the table.

Now
1 January 1067
Dover
England
Broyeur neighed as Odo held his reins tight. With dawn they had come into sight of the fort, and now, as the sun approached its noontime zenith, the shabby-looking fort was fully in view and seemed to be waiting for Odo to just ride in.
1348174-Roman_Pharos_and_Saxon_Church_Dover_Castle_England.jpg

This wasn't the first time Odo had been here. After the battle of Hastings the Normans had turned west into Kent and entered Dover, but they had quickly continued on their way after the people put up fierce resistance. In fact, when they passed through Dover it was the first time since the battle that Odo wished he was back in Normandy.
And now this was his home. Behind him was a procession of Norman knights and adventurers who had decided to accompany him to his new holding, God only knows why him and not some other count.
He dismounted, followed by his little, pathetic entourage.
Behind him he heard a little voice saying: "Faversham. I like that name. That's my name now: Joscelin de Faversham."
joscy.jpg

Odo sighed. Joscelin, a twenty-eight-year-old merchant's son from Caen had been so lazy that instead of fighting at Hastings he squandered nearly his entire family fortune hiring a substitue to replace him in the battlefield. Now, newly enriched by loot from the conquered cities of southern England, he had wormed his way into Odo's entourage.
So what did he want now?
"Joscelin, you are not getting the lordship of Faversham. It's far too early for that." he said, wearily.
He could not, of course, directly insult the young man; Joscelin's rich father had been an important backer, both politically and especially financially of King William's invasion.
Odo, followed by Joscelin and the rest, proceeded to enter the fort.
Unfortunately, on a wooden table behind the main door was an official-looking piece of parchment.
As a relative of the duke and a cleric Odo was one of the few literates of the age; Rich Joscelin, regretfully, was another.
It said:
"To my loyal servant Odo FitzHerluin de Conteville, Count of Kent.
I hope this message reaches Dover before you do.
If all is as I commanded Joscelin FitzGilbert, my loyal man is with you and will read this as well.
It has come to my attention that the people of Kent are a rather unruly folk who will not be cowed by our military prowess.
Therefore, I command you to appoint Joscelin as chancellor and minister to the people of your county, so that they remain loyal to you, and more importantly, my august crown.
Do not contact me or contradict this order; I have enough on my mind as it is.
Your lord,
William, King of England and Duke of Normandy."
No mention of any fraternal love, nor did the contents of the letter display any.
Joscelin, however, smiled from ear to ear in elation.
Suddenly, a great noise sounded from outside the fort, something he hadn't heard since Hastings:
Ut! Ut!
Rushing outside, he discovered the true loyalty of his subjects as they waved their pitchforks and burning torches.
Odo pressed his hands to his temples in frustration.
But Joscelin was not downhearted.
"Don't worry, I'm your chancellor!," he said, "I'll deal with this!"
But Odo's worries only increased with that saying.

Last edited:
Nice to see another AAR in CKII. As always, very well written, and an intriguing opening and premise - Odo certainly was a colourful character in real life, so this should be good.

EDIT: I like the idea of a horse called Broyeur.

Last edited:
This looks rather fun. I like your writing style. It just seems about a bit of a touch above what I expect. I really liked the tone of the letter from William. Made me giggle without being uproariously funny. This is very enjoyuable.

This looks rather fun. I like your writing style. It just seems about a bit of a touch above what I expect. I really liked the tone of the letter from William. Made me giggle without being uproariously funny. This is very enjoyuable.
Thank you!
I, however, did not intend William's letter to be particularly funny (in fact I think it was one of the lower-quality parts of the chapter) but who's complaining?

Notice that since I like to think of my AARs as TV shows, that first chapter is now officialy Episode 1 of Season 1 (Odo's lifetime): My Brother, the Bastard, and also I've added the official 'theme music' for the show- the track 'Sanctus' from Simon Schama's excellent A History of Britain; Listen to it, it inspired this AAR and it's just good music!

What's this? A Norman Kentish AAR? From Dovahkiing?

Very nice start indeed; some fine character writing. And I take it we'll be seeing more of Joscelin.

Thank you!
I, however, did not intend William's letter to be particularly funny (in fact I think it was one of the lower-quality parts of the chapter) but who's complaining?

Like I said, it wasn't funny in the sense of "Ah-ha, hilarious writing style." It was funny in how I pictured the guy's face reading it.

good idea putting in the soundtrack, really adds to the AAR... you just inspired me.
Yes, it's my favorite musical piece from A History of Britain which just has the best music of a TV series I've ever seen.
Chose this one because it features prominently in the episodes covering the Norman kings of England.

What's this? A Norman Kentish AAR? From Dovahkiing?

Very nice start indeed; some fine character writing. And I take it we'll be seeing more of Joscelin.
Well, there's the surprise of the century, since I don't consider myself much of a character writer (that's why my other AAR is called 'A Saga Without Heroes').
But thank you very much, and yes, there will be a lot of Joscelin.
Like I said, it wasn't funny in the sense of "Ah-ha, hilarious writing style." It was funny in how I pictured the guy's face reading it.
Ah ha. Thanks for the clarifaction. Now you put that picture in my head it's making me chuckle too.

igne.jpg

"And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire there was the voice of a thin silence."
I Kings 19:12

The road to Canterbury
January 30, 1067
A black horse trod down the muddy path.
medieval-road.jpg

Behind it was a rather pathetic procession of four or five other horses, encouraged by spurs no more valuable than two shillings each.
The horse's rider was not particularly pleased to be on this road, shivering and causing the horse, Broyeur, to neigh in pain when he accidentally hit him with his spurs.
He knew that wherever he was he would be shivering; but he would rather be shivering in his adopted 'home', Dover Castle, which was unjustly elevated by calling it a castle.
Surprisingly, Joscelin had been competent in solving the problem of the angry natives in Kent; his honest manner when telling them that they did not come to loot, plunder, and rape won them over.
But now there was a problem neither the rider, Odo de Conteville, nor Joscelin de Faversham had anticipated:
A Saxon by the name of Stigand.
Not any Saxon, but the Archbishop of Canterbury.
Two weeks previously, Odo had received another letter from his half-brother, King William.
It was forwarded from Stigand, and demanded that since Canterbury was located in the county of Kent as granted to Odo, and he was an archbishop, which most agreed was superior to a count, the king's choice of Odo as count must be ratified by him.
An absurd claim, to be sure, but Stigand saw this as a way to assert his prestige and standing, and William, still, apparently, drunk from the ale at his coronation feast agreed and forwarded it to Odo as a royal command.

And now they were coming into view of the city.
In the distance the cathedral spire rose, seemingly to heaven.
imagesqtbnANd9GcR-rwGyywXxEGtS3TZgf8Ru-Vh59ilIz2XphFY7hv0hlQ97m94W.jpg

At the gate of Canterbury they were met by a middle-aged looking guard- clearly most fit young men were dead on Senlac Hill.
He waved them in once Odo explained, in broken, accented Saxon the reason of the visit, and as they left he shouted: "Give him one for me!" and pointed to his thin stomach.
The procession dismounted and walked the final hundred paces barefoot, as a supposed sign of penitence.
They entered the cathedral, Odo and the bodyguards leaving their arms at the door.
Upon entry Odo heard a gasp; It was Joscelin.
CanterburyCathedral8.jpg

After a moment's puzzlement he gathered that it was because the son of the Caen merchant was overawed by the beautiful interior of Canterbury Cathedral, which was probably a sign of impiety and unfamiliarity with churches ; Odo had said Mass as a bishop a few times at the cathedral at Bayeux and was used to such 'grand' interiors.
There was no time now to marvel at grand constructions, the pressing matter at hand was Stigand.

Stigand emerged after a few minutes of Joscelin marveling at the church, accompanied by some tired-looking monks.
Stigand.jpg

The Dover Tapestry's depiction of Stigand at Harold Godwinson's coronation
Shaved head, brown clothes, Stigand looked like the common people's stereotype of a man of God, plain and drab-looking, not at all a reflection of the divine magnificence.
He gave Odo a hard, inquisitive look, then said with a dismissive air: "Odo's the name, correct?"
Odo was angered by the Saxon's insolence; Have these English already forgotten the bite of Rèmede?
Unfortunately, his sword was outside; going out to retrieve it would look highly suspicious. Instead, he said: "Yes, my lord bishop." in a submissive manner, although sadistic fantasy of that shaved head hanging from his hands ran through his head.
Stigand held Odo's gaze. He said: "Well then, let's be down to business. Brother Wulfstan, would you please get the vellum and inkwell? I need you to write a charter for us. Write down exactly what I dictate."
"Yes, lord bishop." said Wulfstan, an elderly, short, weak monk and scuttled off, presumably to fetch the writing aids.
Odo was suspicious of Stigand's emphasis on the exactly, and so gave him a suspicious look and said: "Don't think you can hide any sneaky clauses under the Latin, you effeminate priest. I know it as well as you do."
Stigand smiled, a nasty, haughty, knowing grin. "Ah, yes, I forgot, you're a bishop. But perhaps you have forgotten as well, whoremonger?"
One might have expected Odo to redden in embarrassment; but Odo had been no virgin at his half-brother's coronation feast anyway, and from Stigand's grin he guessed that the Saxon archbishop wasn't either...
In the meantime pathetic Wulfstan returned with the requested writing materials and sat down at a nearby desk. Stigand turned to the monk and began to dictate in a stream of Latin that began: "In Nomine Dei et Willielmus Rex" and ended with: "In Nomine Domini", after half an hour or so of Odo's suspicious looks as he deciphered the language of empire and church and made sure there was no sneaky wording that would grant unwanted advantages to Stigand and/or the diocese of Canterbury, while trying not to laugh at Stigand's face, frozen in that same annoying but rather funny grin.

Finally, Brother Wulfstan's tired hand came off the quill which was put back in its inkwell, and the finished vellum was presented to Odo, who read through it, verified that it had no infringing wording, signed it, and then passed it to still-grinning Stigand, who did the same.
Odo then seized the charter, and grabbed Joscelin, still staring at a beautiful image of the crucifixion, and dragged him out of the cathedral where the bodyguards were waiting, accompanying them to the stable.
It was as he was about to spur Broyeur when he smelled it. It was familiar somehow, but he knew he hadn't smelled it in some months and so was unable to place it.
He turned to one of the bodyguards, a burly, black-haired thirty-year-old named Guillaume and asked: "Do you smell that?"
Guillaume laughed and said: "Yes, horseshit!" but it was clear that behind the bravado was fear.
Odo dug into Broyeur with his spurs and rode out of the stable, to investigate.
It was then he realized what it was that he smelled.
Smoke.
Canterbury Cathedral was on fire.
imagesqtbnANd9GcS2Xfjqy89q4zKsJjvyodeVgjsFTrG2c5K_nSQOcsldAv9EcWfs.jpg

An illustration of the Burning of Canterbury

All around Odo were cries of dismay, of pain, of "Where's the bishop?" and "Lord have mercy on our souls!"
He knew he needed to get out of there fast; Stigand can burn with his nasty grins and pathetic monks, he thought.
"Faversham!" he shouted, to fetch Joscelin, but instead he got a group of filthy-looking laborers who attached themselves to him, probably having heard that he wished to make a proper castle at Dover, but he pushed them away and found Joscelin praying to St. Agatha for salvation in a small church that was fortunately, near the gate. The guard who had told Odo to punish Stigand for his low wages was gone now, presumably taking advantage of the chaotic situation. They rode out, the smoke rising to heaven where once the cathedral had, back unto the muddy path, Odo still clutching the charter confirming his ownership of the County of Kent.
Their journey was interrupted after two hours, near a village called Kingston. They were riding near some bushes when suddenly they were set upon by a large group of bandits.
Odo saw as he dismounted Broyeur in panic that they were surprisingly well-armed for bandits; swords and shields rather than the usual low-quality bows and daggers.
Odo drew Rèmede and stabbed one of the bandits, a blond man, in the chest and stole his shield as he fell. Another bandit, this one dark-haired tried to decapitate him but he blocked the strike with his shield above his head and then brought Rèmede down in an awful, fatal arc which drove the man's helmet right into his skull, downing him so Odo could cut open his throat.

Joscelin was managing nicely beside Odo, having picked up the blond bandit's sword and deflecting various blows, and the bandits seemed to be falling back. Odo raised Rèmede in triumph and shouted: "This is the Count's justice!" in Norman French.
As his exultant shout faded away, though, he heard a rustle, and an unfamiliar voice crying: "Aiiie!"
Jolted by the possibility of further danger, he ran in the direction of the shout, and came upon a young figure bearing the arms of Northumberland.
imagesqtbnANd9GcSsGAl00XacVAh8dL28avH01oNDC0zx0K4uAajP5ov9zdlQNkvLJwdvs0JQNQ.jpg

The boy, only eighteen by the looks of him and with burnt-looking palms, shouted: "In the name of Eoforwic!" and charged at Odo, who pushed him aside.
"You boy!" he shouted at him, "how dare you strike the Count of Kent!"
The boy didn't answer. Instead, Odo looked on as a large band of bandits charged out of the bush. He crossed himself and prepared mentally to die. Gytha wouldn't care; She probably didn't know yet they were betrothed and would probably breath a sigh of relief when she learned of his death, likewise his brothers Robert, count of Mortain and King William.
But the sword blow or arrow strike never came. Instead, he saw the bandits looking blankly at him. He shouted, sounding brave despite his terror at imminent death: "What business have you attacking your lord!"
One of them said:"You are not he. We have been sent in the name of the rightful king to eliminate Stigand, the traitorous Archbishop of Canterbury. We were told he would be traveling this road."
Odo was relieved, and said: "Well, then. I do not know where he is, but I can tell you that I am your rightful lord, Odo de Conteville, count of our fair land of Kent. Perhaps a band of such fit young men would like to join my service? My castle has a warm hearth and much food and glory for those who serve me well!"
They looked at each other, but Odo could see their response was in the negative.
But the boy from earlier stepped up and said: "I would join your service, my lord."

Odo smiled. Perhaps intimidation was not the only weapon that convinces men? In any case, he said: "You are a brave boy. I shall accept you into my service. I need strong, brave men in my army. Men who can be my marshal..."
The bandits went back into the bush, while Odo sheathed Rèmede, mounted a cut and scratched Broyeur, followed by the boy. He asked for the boy's name, and the boy answered, in a quivering, fearful voice: "Eadraed, my lord. Eadraed of Canterbury."
030-Saxon-Shield-Wall-02.jpg

A calculus-generated image of what Eadraed may have looked like as Marshal of Kent
Many miles away, that night...
The sea's green glory was obscured by the darkness that had rolled in over the North Sea an hour or so before.
7490732208_7bef3ca288_z.jpg

Two men and a boy were standing on the beach, each without their usual garments. Instead, they had dressed up as commoners going for a swim. Granted, it was a very bad idea of a cover story since it was the final day of January, and consequentially freezing cold, but it had worked. They talked, over the crashing of the waves, of the fate of England:
"Come, come, my overseas friend, surely we can hammer out an agreement? Jorvik and anything north of that to me, and you and our Saxon friend can share the rest?"
The other man was not of the same mind. "Shut up! You're just using us to fight your battles to get some lands and probably the crown, Kyrre."
The boy, in the meantime, had yet another opinion: "You two are using me and my birthright to get your grubby Viking hands on my country!"
But the two men were united in one thing: "Come, come, Alfredson, remember, you already had your time on the throne."
The first man spoke next. "We do have to come to some agreement. Remember that William is twitchy and afraid of invasion just as he took the crown by invasion. Let's say, a year from today?"
The second man was more realistic, and shook his head. "My realm is closer, so I know better about England. William is twitchy, as you said, and ready to defend his kingdom. I think five years would be better."
The other man agreed but the boy protested: "If you give him more time he will have more money and men! We must strike soon!"
But then he realized he was alone, heard by no one but himself and the waves.
To be continued....

Last edited:
A very intriguing update all round - the final beach scene has set the next update well.

Really good writing as always.

A very intriguing update all round - the final beach scene has set the next update well.

Really good writing as always.
Thank you!
That beach scene sets events far beyond the next update though.... :ninja:

Interesting read. I look forward to the next one.

Same for me, reading it was enjoyable. Though I am a somewhat a stickler for details: in the first episode of this season Joscelyn was stated to be a son of a merchant from Calais, while the second episode puts his father in Caen :happy:

Same for me, reading it was enjoyable. Though I am a somewhat a stickler for details: in the first episode of this season Joscelyn was stated to be a son of a merchant from Calais, while the second episode puts his father in Caen :happy:
Thank you!
I'll fix that right away, I'm happy you enjoyed it!

Very interesting AAR.

In fact, I've been playing as Robert de Conteville, count of Mortain. After his untimely death, his son ascended to the position of Duke of Normandy, so I wonder how successful Odo will be.

Very interesting AAR.

In fact, I've been playing as Robert de Conteville, count of Mortain. After his untimely death, his son ascended to the position of Duke of Normandy, so I wonder how successful Odo will be.
Thank you!
Hopefully successful enough so Robert of Mortain doesn't inherit it...