• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tildeman

Captain
117 Badges
Feb 26, 2012
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Darkest Hour
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
So playing as a Republic give you the powerful seize city and seize county Casus Belli, opening up the option to eventually grant yourself an empire-level title.

A93587E2C1B3214799E445CE6B1A832A55EC1313

Both HRE & ERE, started as Venetian patrician :D I had Germany too but didn't want to have bunch of German vassals and it looked bad on a map so I gave them independence

Why do you have the byzantine "empire" whereas op has the principality of britannia?

Also, you are about to lose your titles =P

I guess it depends on culture and some titles are special. It displays that I'm loosing but only because my heir is not yet adult, as soon as he grows up it will change back to my dynasty.

Oh yeah, the biggest thing taking up my profits are freeloading family members. :mad:

How'd you get the Ua Briain family to be a republic? o.o
Witchcraft.

I started as Muke Murchad of Munster, forged a claim on Leinster. Granted my heir a city then the county. Created the Duchy of Leinster and granted that to my Lord-Mayor son which turned him into an independant republic.

Saved and loaded as Doge Brian mac Murchad.

The Serene Republic of Scotland (started as Gloucester and invaded Scotland), De Normandies (third son of William). I'm about to invade England and establish the Principality of Britannia. I would prefer it called the Great Republic of Britannia, personally. Or just Republic of Britannia on the map.
580DA9E249831ACCDA362770151430694E4F0B78

The De Normandies start with a big family, so I had my income halved from the start. Now I think I'm at about 214 family members, most of the males getting a cut of my income (about 55 out of 102 per month). Needless to say, most of England is filthy rich (Despite dozens of civil wars, we still hold the throne).

I just realised this thread is about Empire Republics, not just Republics that are Empire size. Is that right? I'm not sure why anyone should focus on land owned, because the only thing land changes for a Republic is their retinue size. Even when I only had one county I could have fielded a merc army to challenge anyone in the region. Not to mention that England+Normandy was defending me from most embargoes (only the HRE succeeded).

The only thing Doges have to fear is low stewardship, and getting excommunicated. Excommunication, I found, can happen quite a lot because everyone hates you and can do little about it, and you tend not to care about high diplomacy and virtues as a Doge. It would probably be a good idea, then, to switch to Catharism, Waldenese, etc, at some point. Or keep an anti-pope in the family. My cleric sitting in the Pope's land (Wales, of course) seems to be enough, though.

Last edited:
I think I lost the latest screenshot (on this one the first character still lives), but take a look at this lovely mess:
OMQdm.jpg

The Serene Republic of Scotland (started as Gloucester and invaded Scotland), De Normandies (third son of William). I'm about to invade England and establish the Principality of Britannia. I would prefer it called the Great Republic of Britannia, personally. Or just Republic of Britannia on the map.
580DA9E249831ACCDA362770151430694E4F0B78

The De Normandies start with a big family, so I had my income halved from the start. Now I think I'm at about 214 family members, most of the males getting a cut of my income (about 55 out of 102 per month). Needless to say, most of England is filthy rich (Despite dozens of civil wars, we still hold the throne).

Woah, gotland is getting really competitive there.