• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How about MorphOS, AmigaOS4 and Haiku support? Why is it only win and sometimes osx.. and even sometimessomtimes linux that
get games.

I would be happy to see gaming companies making games for several systems.

Source:
[unauthorised link redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem is that while we could/want to do it - linux userbase is really, really, really tiny. Almost less than 1% of sales come from Linux-users. It makes it very hard to justify ports. But we haven't made a decision yet.

Why aren't there more of you?

/shams

Problem is that while we could/want to do it - linux userbase is really, really, really tiny. Almost less than 1% of sales come from Linux-users. It makes it very hard to justify ports. But we haven't made a decision yet.

Why aren't there more of you?

/shams
It's true the Linux userbase isn't huge yet, although it looks to be growing. Also, wouldn't some of those sale numbers be inaccurate due to some people buying games before they have released on Linux and using Steamplay?

Personally think it'd be a great game to have on Linux. For one just to me, it looks like fun. Also, there aren't very many games of this genre available on Linux currently. Having more games and more diverse genres (other than fps and platformers) could help the Linux userbase, as well as being a fairly unique game for this platform currently.

In terms of technical issues, dosen't the move to Unity 4 at least take a chunk out of the time required to get the game working? I know it's an extra platform that you'll need to support and maintain though.

Last edited:
It's true the Linux userbase isn't huge yet, although it looks to be growing. Also, wouldn't some of those sale numbers be inaccurate due to some people buying games before they have released on Linux and using Steamplay?

Personally think it'd be a great game to have on Linux. For one just to me, it looks like fun. Also, there aren't very many games of this genre available on Linux currently. Having more games and more diverse genres (other than fps and platformers) could help the Linux userbase, as well as being a fairly unique game for this platform currently.

In terms of technical issues, dosen't the move to Unity 4 at least take a chunk out of the time required to get the game working? I know it's an extra platform that you'll need to support and maintain though.

You are only considering the technical costs - there are many, many other costs involved with prepping and deploying a game for an additional platform. Additionally it also means that we'll be obliged to keep supporting the platform for future updates. So whenever we patch the game, add content or do anything we have to make sure it properly tested. Adding a 3rd platform increases costs by almost a third.

Let's say for a moment the numbers are inaccurate - let's be generous and say the actual figure is double that we're seeing -we'd STILL be hard pressed to add linux when given the option to add other content/gameplay to the game.

I'm still going to try to make it happen - but now you might understand why it's not a top priority in the long list of exciting and fun stuff to for CIM :)

/shams

Haven’t made a decision? I thought you were planning a Linux version.

Ok, I understand Linux market is smaller than Windows or Mac OS X, but you made a Mac OS X port and if you've seen some Humble Indie Bundle sales, you might noticed Linux payments are always the highest. As to the number of sales, it differs. Windows always wins and Linux and Mac seems to be very much equal since sometimes Linux wins, sometimes Mac OS X wins. The number of users does not necessarily correlate with the number of gamers.

I will add one big argument. If Linux desktop user base is not large enough (even though there even could be more gamers than on Mac OS X), what about Linux based Valve gaming console? Also, Alienware recently started selling Linux gaming computers with Ubuntu and Steam preinstalled. Do you really want to miss that oportunity?

Please, I am asking you to make a Linux port, because I love your game and I love my platform. It would be really a shame not to make a Linux version. I can understand your concerns, but I expect sells from the Linux version would return much more than what it would cost you to make a port. Also, you would partially do a charity job (not talking about money), since by porting the game and making it available on Steam, you would give the signal to other developers you are not afraid of supporting a new platform. That may not seem important for you, but it is for most Linux gamers. By making a Linux port I suspect even some people not interested in the game would purchase it, just because it is available for Linux. It would be a great advertisement for you in the Linux community and you can bet I would not only purchase it, but even write about it in a positive way on Google+ and on my blog.

Thank you very much for telling us the news. I hope that you will reconsider our wish, count in Valve's gaming console and the great things Linux had experienced in the last year.

You are only considering the technical costs - there are many, many other costs involved with prepping and deploying a game for an additional platform. Additionally it also means that we'll be obliged to keep supporting the platform for future updates. So whenever we patch the game, add content or do anything we have to make sure it properly tested. Adding a 3rd platform increases costs by almost a third.

Let's say for a moment the numbers are inaccurate - let's be generous and say the actual figure is double that we're seeing -we'd STILL be hard pressed to add linux when given the option to add other content/gameplay to the game.

I'm still going to try to make it happen - but now you might understand why it's not a top priority in the long list of exciting and fun stuff to for CIM :)

/shams

Thanks for the information regarding this, understand that it takes extra time after the initial port.

Appreciate you looking into it and hope that it comes to Linux, hopefully soon if at all possible.

By the way, if you do decide to go ahead with a Linux port, I'd be happy to help test it

Haven’t made a decision? I thought you were planning a Linux version.

Ok, I understand Linux market is smaller than Windows or Mac OS X, but you made a Mac OS X port and if you've seen some Humble Indie Bundle sales, you might noticed Linux payments are always the highest. As to the number of sales, it differs. Windows always wins and Linux and Mac seems to be very much equal since sometimes Linux wins, sometimes Mac OS X wins. The number of users does not necessarily correlate with the number of gamers.

I will add one big argument. If Linux desktop user base is not large enough (even though there even could be more gamers than on Mac OS X), what about Linux based Valve gaming console? Also, Alienware recently started selling Linux gaming computers with Ubuntu and Steam preinstalled. Do you really want to miss that oportunity?

Please, I am asking you to make a Linux port, because I love your game and I love my platform. It would be really a shame not to make a Linux version. I can understand your concerns, but I expect sells from the Linux version would return much more than what it would cost you to make a port. Also, you would partially do a charity job (not talking about money), since by porting the game and making it available on Steam, you would give the signal to other developers you are not afraid of supporting a new platform. That may not seem important for you, but it is for most Linux gamers. By making a Linux port I suspect even some people not interested in the game would purchase it, just because it is available for Linux. It would be a great advertisement for you in the Linux community and you can bet I would not only purchase it, but even write about it in a positive way on Google+ and on my blog.

Thank you very much for telling us the news. I hope that you will reconsider our wish, count in Valve's gaming console and the great things Linux had experienced in the last year.

Planning yes - deciding when and how to do it - that's another thing.

Linux payments are definitely higher in the humble bundle - but sadly Steam doesn't allow for a "pay what you want"-option and participating in a Humble Bundle isn't something that magically happens just because we have linux. I know - because I talk to the HB-guys regularly.

A steambox you say? Again Steam is an important partner so rest assured we're on top of stuff that's happening there as well. The actual porting act doesn't take long - so if a Steambox appears and suddenly gets widespread adoption there won't be a problem for us to jump on the band wagon quickly - no opportunity will be lost.

Zubozrout: I hear you - we'll definitely have everything you say in mind. But I want you to understand that it's never that simple - no matter how much you and other Linuxers want to happen.

The more people buy our OTHER linux games the more inclined we'll be to port CIM and other PDX games.

/shams

How do you know that? How do you know that I am or am not a Linux User (for the record I am, but I use Windows exclusively for gaming).

Through steam we get reports on users/platforms. The reports are very accurate.

/shams

Through steam we get reports on users/platforms. The reports are very accurate.

Don't you only get the reports of what users bought your game - meaning only the amount of users that bought the game from Windows/Linux/Mac? If that is so and the game is available only on Windows and Mac, Linux can't be expected to be much visible in the charts. If purchasing CiM2 from a Linux Steam client would persuade you to create a Linux port in a reasonable time, then I would be buying one for sure :)

Don't you only get the reports of what users bought your game - meaning only the amount of users that bought the game from Windows/Linux/Mac? If that is so and the game is available only on Windows and Mac, Linux can't be expected to be much visible in the charts. If purchasing CiM2 from a Linux Steam client would persuade you to create a Linux port in a reasonable time, then I would be buying one for sure :)

We also get reports on which platforms are getting played. Steam has a very accurate way of determining which OS is the most prevalent one played with.

The data is not wrong, you my friend are in a very, very small but vocal minority :/

/shams

The data is not wrong, you my friend are in a very, very small but vocal minority :/

Unfortunately you are right. Although Linux has the majority on servers and even on embedded devices like phones, desktop isn't exactly the place, where Linux can easily succeed.
Therefore we may be loud - because most Linux users think Linux is a great operating system, that has much to offer. I suppose that the lack of games is one of the major reasons why Linux has so slow adoption on personal computers. But hopefully, that will now change.

Valve introduced Steam for Linux, that brought attention to many developers. One year ago, there were only a little new games available for Linux. Although the situation is still not great, the attention Linux is getting this year is awesome. Each week new games appear on Linux, thanks to Steam.
So, Valve solved one big problem: Linux had no broader distribution platform. Ubuntu Software Center may be fine, but it is far from perfect. Desura is great, but it is not as popular as Steam.

Therefore, I suppose the only real problem that remains is the lack of users. Although I don't know how you count the number of Linux users since Cities in Motion 2 is not available for the platform, but I can't argue with you that Linux is not that much attractive.
However, from what I've seen on several gaming-related forums, there are many Linux users that have Windows installed only for gaming and that would very much appreciate being able to play their favourite game on Linux. This may also be the reason why Linux is so successful at Humble Indie Bundle.

As to the Valve's gaming console, it will probably attract many new users to Linux. But to succeed, it will need games, as Linux does. It is the chicken and the egg problem: Linux has users waiting for software to be available on the platform and developers are waiting for the platform to gain users. Someone must do the first step :'(

I think the major issue here being that there aren't many games for Linux, that's why most Linux users have a windows install to game.. So, nobody creates games for Linux because there aren't any Linux gamers, and there aren't many Linux gamers because there are no games.. See the vicious cycle here?

I think the major issue here being that there aren't many games for Linux, that's why most Linux users have a windows install to game.. So, nobody creates games for Linux because there aren't any Linux gamers, and there aren't many Linux gamers because there are no games.. See the vicious cycle here?

Yep. Thankfully someone with deep pockets like Valve can go first and break the cycle by introducing Linux to a wider audience - the rest of us will follow suit after.

/shams

We also get reports on which platforms are getting played. Steam has a very accurate way of determining which OS is the most prevalent one played with.

I think its a chicken and egg problem. Good games aren't published for Linux because there are few Steam Linux clients installed, but I and other Linux users don't install the Steam Linux client because good games aren't available for the Linux Client.

If you published for Linux I would install the Steam Linux client and then install CIM for Linux. You don't so I don't (and I don't have any interest in playing Half-Life or Counter-Strike or whatever FPS games are available for Steam Linux).

If you published for Linux I would install the Steam Linux client and then install CIM for Linux. You don't so I don't (and I don't have any interest in playing Half-Life or Counter-Strike or whatever FPS games are available for Steam Linux).

Yes, that is exactly what I saw on many gaming forums. There are people looking forward to use Linux for gaming, but unable to do so since their game is not available on the platform.
Although I have Steam installed on Linux, I don't have anything to play there. I bought many games on Steam since it was introduced to Linux (major part obtained through Humble Indie Bundle), but mainly just to show the support. I don't like FPS games, but I like strategy games like SimCity or CiM2 and racing simulators like NFS. At least Euro Truck Simulator 2 is now available - not my favourite but the best Linux driving game :)

So, I really hope CiM2 will be available for Linux, since it is a great game. Besides, porting to Linux should be much easier thanks to Unity4.

So I tried Cities in Motion 2 via Wine & Steam. Sad to report that it doesn't work, although the game seems to be pretty much stable and fluent, when it is closed, it crashes with an error + it doesn't save anything (settings, gameplay)

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x15f9a2a0 in 32-bit code (0x0071a22b).

I wonder if my recent purchase shows up as Linux or Windows purchase and whether you can see Wine users, as Steam internally does recognise Wine. In addition, I hope to see Linux version of the game because I have no use for it now :)