• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can a feudal state be turned into a merchant republic when selecting a character from the map?
Can republics not using the new features (like counties or landlocked republics) be played?

No and no.

Do the coasts of the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf count as "coastal"?

No.

Would it be possible to create a province flag or modifier that would let modders tell the game that an "inland" province should count as "coastal" for purposes of Merchant Republics? This would let a mod place a merchant republic at Hormuz, for example, and it would also allow modders to model the trading cities on rivers such as those in Russia and the Niger (e.g. Gao, Timbuktu).

No.

If you are the doge and your republic is at war, will other patrician families contribute to the war or will you rely on feudal levies, your own resources and mercenaries?

As a patrician, do trading posts provide troops?

How can you get claims on another trading posts to seize it by force?

Other Patricians will normally not aid you. Trade posts have garrisons, but do not provide levies. You do not need claims on trade posts, but if you have many more trade posts than another family in the same republic, you will not be allowed to seize them.

Sometimes the husband will discover it, and sometimes not. Currently, there are no events for a later discovery. The child will have a stored "real father", though this is not visible without debug tooltips.
-Is it possible for a bastard child to have no known father in this way? How about a bastard child with no known mother (existing at game start) having a 'real mother' and 'real father' hidden other than the father claiming it as his own?
-Can patricians wage war, or only doges?

Will it be possible for feudal lords to usurp a republic's duchy title? If so what happens to the republic (and the player)?

And for modders: will the requirements for where you can build trade posts be modable? (if it isn't, please change it sometime in a future patch! I don't mind that paradox decided otherwise because they wanted to focus on maritime merchants, but I know a lot of modders will want to make tradeposts buildable in inland provinces too)

Feudal lords can potentially usurp the Republic's primary title. If this is their last Duchy or higher title, that's the end of the republic.

I doubt we will make inland trade posts possible.

Apologies if this has already been covered, but if we can go from Republic to Feudal government, would it be possible to go from Feudal to Republic? Possibly setting up your heir as a mayor and then granting them a top level title (Kingdom or Duchy)?

No.

What about the "cant split armys unless paused" bug in multiplayer, there was no mention of a fix for that in the patchnotes?
If I as a feudal lord create a new doge ingame, are the republic features enabled for that new republic (including 5 familys in there)?
Can multiple people choose to play a family in the same republic in multiplayer?
Does ruler designer work with republican characters?

I was not aware of a split army bug in multiplayer. Will look into that.
Yes, the Patrician families are automatically created when a new merchant republic rises.
Yes, you can play multiple patricians in the same republic in multiplayer.
Yes, it does.

If the player's republic is at war and they are not the Doge, is there any way to help influence the outcome? My greatest fear will be watching helplessly as the Kaiser comes barreling over the Alps smashing my A.I. driven Republic into submission.

If the player's republic is at war and they are not the Doge, is there any way to help influence the outcome? My greatest fear will be watching helplessly as the Kaiser comes barreling over the Alps smashing my A.I. driven Republic into submission.

Yes, you can raise your own armies to assist, just like any vassal can.