• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thank Commissioner Rommel for expressing his desire to turn his attempted miscarriage of justice into a personal vendetta against me. His statements will be presented at his trial. While I would normally indulge Minister Mustafa's request, it is clear that the Administration's chief law enforcement figure is either a madman or an idiot, if not both. He must be removed, and this is the only legal mechanism to do so.

Heinrich Wilhelm Karl Freiherr von Reuss
Chancellor of Silesia

((I'm not impressed by misspelled movie quotes. Keep it IC.))

I demand the resignation of Commissioner Rommel and the disbandment of his so called "FBI." His recent actions are unwarranted and a disgrace to these esteemed halls.

- a random deputy.

((It seems real politics have returned to the Federation. No more wars to fight, just good ol' fashion political murder.))

Mid-term Elections: RUF
[Illyria]

I demand the resignation of Commissioner Rommel and the disbandment of his so called "FBI." His recent actions are unwarranted and a disgrace to these esteemed halls.

- a random deputy.

I second these calls, not for the madman I don't care for such trivial things.. However, this "FBI", claims to have legal precedence over the State's Police Forces. This cannot stand, the Federal Government should not be allowed to simply trample the states in one of their last responsibilities. I like a Centralized Government, but in a Federation, the Federal level must have limits, or should we just appoint another Lilic and be done with the states once and for all? Is that what you all want?

-Fábián Laboda Kozak, Councillor of Hungary

As Minister of Security I call for the arrest of Joseph Rommel by our police force for using his position as a mean to remove enemies of his by conviction. This corruption will not be tolerated. He will be held in prison until a trial will be held in a Federal Court to determine if Mister Rommel has been using his position as a means for removing his enemies.

-Minister of Security Alp Mustafa.

I propose the following bill:
The Congressional Powers Bill
I. The Council and Assembly can, by a two-thirds majority vote in both houses, call for new general elections.
II. New elections can only be called at least one and a half years since the last general election.

FederalSeal-FSC_zps971a7440.png

Notice of the Verdict of the Federal Constitutional Court in the case of Sik vs the Federation

The court heard the case of Alexandr Sik against the Federation yesterday. Mr Sik contended that the Constitutional Monarchy Referendum Act does not have the legal power to alter the Constitution of the Federation should it be incorporated into law by the Federation. His case rested on two tenants: one, that the proposed act has not an amendment and so cannot alter the Constitution; two, that the proposed act is not specific enough in its concerns to be used to alter the Constitution; and three, that the proposed act cannot bind the Federation to alter the Constitution at a later date. The court finds in favour of Mr Sik in all respects, noting the requirements placed by the 2nd Amendment upon Constitutional Amendments and the lack of other mechanisms to alter the Constitution. Further, the court finds that there is no mechanism to force a change of the Constitution through a referendum, and therefore the only way this could currently be achieved were if the implementation of an Amendment already agreed upon by Congress through the process as it is defined in the 2nd Amendment was dependent upon the support of the electorate through a referendum within a specific time frame: such a proposal would have to outline specific alterations to be made in the case of the proposal's 'ratification' by the population and would have to be approved by a 2/3rds majority in both houses of Congress. The Constitutional Monarchy Referendum Act does not therefore have the power to force an alteration of the Constitution. The court therefore finds that the Constitutional Monarchy Referendum Act and any similar acts shall therefore be classified as standard legislation and not require a 2/3rds majority to be adopted, but any referendum's resulting shall be purely advisory.

I thank the honorable gentlemen of the Supreme Court for their learned input. The previous version of the bill has been withdrawn and a new version submitted which takes into account Minister Sik's various concerns, and I concur that Congress cannot be forced into passing an Amendment, merely to discuss and submit one for approval through the normal Constitutional method.

In consultation with several other members of Congress, I have drafted a new piece of legislation to address recent concerns.

The Federal Police Act

I. The Federal Bureau of Investigation established under the Police Reorganization Act of 1885 shall be reorganized into the Federal Police Service and led by the Director of Federal Police. The Director of Federal Police shall be appointed by the President of the Federation in consultation with the Minister of Justice and shall serve at the President's pleasure or until dismissed by Congress as per the terms of a Federal minister's dismissal as described in the Constitution.

II. The Federal Police Service shall be charged with the investigation of all crimes that occur across state boundaries, all crimes in which the perpetrator flees one state to another, and all crimes that may affect the Federation on a national level. The Federal Police Service is strictly enjoined from involving itself in state matters without the explicit request of that state's executive or written confirmation from a federal judge that the matter is of national importance.

III. The Metropolitan Police shall be an independent police force charged with maintaining order and investigating crimes and misdemeanors within the Federal Capital and shall have no power or remit outside the boundaries of that city. The Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police shall be appointed by the President of the Federation in consultation with the Minister of Justice and shall serve at the President's pleasure or until dismissed by Congress as per the terms of a Federal minister's dismissal as described in the Constitution.

IV. The Police Standards Commission shall be absorbed into the Federal Police Service as a subordinate branch and tasked solely with the internal affairs of the Federal Police Service and the Metropolitan Police. The Commission is strictly enjoined from investigating purely state matters or any branch of the federal government, affairs which belong to the state police and the larger Federal Police Service respectively.

V. This Act shall be considered to supersede and replace all sections of the Police Reorganization Act of 1885.

Heinrich Wilhelm Karl Freiherr von Reuss
Chancellor of Silesia

The Federal Police Act

I. The Federal Bureau of Investigation established under the Police Reorganization Act of 1885 shall be reorganized into the Federal Police Service and led by the Director of Federal Police. The Director of Federal Police shall be appointed by the President of the Federation in consultation with the Minister of Justice and shall serve at the President's pleasure or until dismissed by Congress as per the terms of a Federal minister's dismissal as described in the Constitution.

II. The Federal Police Service shall be charged with the investigation of all crimes that occur across state boundaries, all crimes in which the perpetrator flees one state to another, and all crimes that may affect the Federation on a national level. The Federal Police Service is strictly enjoined from involving itself in state matters without the explicit request of that state's executive or written confirmation from a federal judge that the matter is of national importance.

III. The Metropolitan Police shall be an independent police force charged with maintaining order and investigating crimes and misdemeanors within the Federal Capital and shall have no power or remit outside the boundaries of that city. The Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police shall be appointed by the President of the Federation in consultation with the Minister of Justice and shall serve at the President's pleasure or until dismissed by Congress as per the terms of a Federal minister's dismissal as described in the Constitution.

IV. The Police Standards Commission shall be absorbed into the Federal Police Service as a subordinate branch and tasked solely with the internal affairs of the Federal Police Service and the Metropolitan Police. The Commission is strictly enjoined from investigating purely state matters or any branch of the federal government, affairs which belong to the state police and the larger Federal Police Service respectively.

V. This Act shall be considered to supersede and replace all sections of the Police Reorganization Act of 1885.

Rommel reads the new police act

Hummm, Is seams he wants to remove the PSC, an anti-corruption organisation, interesting. Oh and he wants to give the President Proper control over the national police, well, it seams he must have liked Lilic, anyway, I should get back to my investigation...

FederalSeal-FSC_zps971a7440.png

Notice of the Verdict of the Metternich City Criminal Court in the case of Sik vs von Reuss

Due to lack of firm evidence, Mr Sik was unable to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Mr von Reuss was guilty of any of the charges placed before him. Therefore, until further information currently unavailable comes to light, Heinrich Wilhelm Karl Freiherr von Reuss is found Not Guilty of the crimes of Blackmail, Contempt of Congress, and crimes related to collusion with the President of the Danubian Federation in relation to the Presidential veto.

Notice of the Verdict of the Prague High Court in the case of von Reuss vs Rommel

Joseph Rommel was found Not Guilty of defamation of character or attempted false imprisonment as the court finds in favour of the defendant that no such attempts at defamation or arrest were made outside the legal restrictions of Mr Rommel's employment. On the third charge, of gross misuse of his delegated powers as Commissioner of Federal Investigation, the court defers judgement to the case of the Federation vs Rommel to be heard at a later date. On the fourth charge, of an illegal attempt to interfere with the workings of Congress, the court finds the defendant Guilty. Mr Rommel shall be removed from his position in the FBI, banned from employment within any police force for five years and given a six month suspended sentence.

Notice of the Verdict of the Prague High Court in the case of the Federation vs Rommel

Mr Rommel was found Not Guilty of gross misuse of his delegated powers as Commissioner of Federal Investigation after testimony revealed that an arrest warrant was issued by the Ministry of Security prior to any intervention by the FBI but subsequently repressed by the Ministry of the Interior, which was supported by a public statement from the Minister of the Interior directing officials to "Disregard all statements regarding the arrest of Herr von Reuss from the Minister of Security." Though the defense could supply no reason for why the Ministry of Security subsequently issued an arrest warrant against Mr Rommel, reasonable doubt remained that the FBI's actions were initiated from the Ministry of Security. It could not, therefore, be proven beyond reasonable doubt that Mr Rommel has been using his position as a means for removing his enemies.

I would like to deny all reasonable doubt that the Ministry of Security had any involvement with the actions taken by the FBI in bringing charges and almost arresting Mister von Reuss. As Minister of Security, I had to make sure that our Federal Investigation leader was not corrupt and/or using his position for personal gain. I have had no involvement with Mister Rommel's actions.

-Minister of Security Alp Mustafa

After the results of his trail

Well, he didn't get off Scot-free, yet I am punished! well, as to any matter I announce my retirement from policing, that is all.

Rommel mutters to himself
Hummm, maybe I should go into politics...Nah, I think I will go into investigative journalism, seams quite apt.

The Budapest Dispatch is one of the rising newspapers in the Danubian Federation, centered around pragmatic news reports, polarized economic opinions, and detached political expositions. Despite its youth, the newspaper is the new information home for bankers, bureaucrats, businessmen, and moderate politicians.

OPINIONS
In recent days, a precarious sigh of relief has been gasped throughout the Danubian Federation. A foreigner would contemplate, upon first glance, why a nation plagued by such tremendous political instability would ever express consolation. This inquiry is far from outrageous - the Danubian Federation has found itself engrossed in administrative intrigue and judicial conflict - threatening to rip apart the delicate threads that once held the Monarchy question at bay. But now, after so much conflict, the Federal nation has endeavored to confront their most dangerous subject. This stride is most admirable, even for an issue as divisive as the fragile balance that persists under the auspices of the Federal constitution. We have learned from our historic teachings a great deal on the matter of elongation. Once before, a subtle radicalization that was submerged in silence gave birth to an Emperor, and all Federal civilians were subjected to the terrible consequences of political circumvention. Our young nation has seen no rest in its brief tenure - and this proclamation does not include the eternal years of political chaos. No - we have suffered far greater woes: wide-spread conflict, rebellion, dictatorship, and eastern encroachments, all of which have outnumbered the rare months of serenity. It would seem God has damned us to turmoil.

Why then, has our weary, exhausted, and tormented subjects gasped this holy breathe that restores life to a crippled people? Truthfully, it is quite simple - humorous even. For all the troubles we have endured, none are as peaceful as the political turmoil that appears so vicious in its conduct. A generation has died - why not let the politicians scrap amongst themselves? Political turmoil appears to be a blissful heaven for our weary hearts. Let us hope that the politicians keep fighting each other - if they get bored, it will surely be bored.

Join me, fellow Danubians, let us take a deep breath of relief; for the Federation, it is nothing but politics as usual.

- A half literate, tired, Bohemian phrenologist.

Letter from the Office of the Governor of Federal West Africa to members of Parliament -

Gentlemen, while many of you members of congress would see it fit to bicker over trivial matters which should by all means be delegated to a much less sophisticated and authoritative legislature, the Government in Africa is left paralyzed by the lack of law and regulation concerning the governance of territories. My position as Governor will remain purely as an "advisor" to the efforts of colonization and to the (nonexistant) military presence in the colony. I am unable to use my position as governor to govern in any manner that would be beneficial to the people of the colony and to the people of the Federation. It is for these reasons that I would humbly request that the Councillors and Deputies confer to reach an agreement on the status of the Federal colonial governments and the powers of their executives and of any other administrative bodies that the members of parliament do so wish to create.

Sincerely,
Károl-József Hadik, Governor, Federal West Africa

(( Voting

Mid-term voting is now closed.

Congressional results are as follows;
CouncilAss'bly
BeforeAfterBeforeAfter
German Brotherhood Party02-011
11px-Decrease2.svg.png
Danubian Imperial Party08
11px-Increase2.svg.png
11px-Increase2.svg.png
Danubian Patriotic Union63
11px-Decrease2.svg.png
11px-Decrease2.svg.png
Conservative Republican Party01
11px-Increase2.svg.png
11px-Increase2.svg.png
All-Danubian Conservative Party85
11px-Decrease2.svg.png
11px-Decrease2.svg.png
Constitutional Union46
11px-Increase2.svg.png
11px-Increase2.svg.png
Federal Democratic Party64
11px-Decrease2.svg.png
11px-Decrease2.svg.png
Radical Union of the Federation2822
11px-Decrease2.svg.png
11px-Decrease2.svg.png
Danubian People's Party25
11px-Increase2.svg.png
11px-Increase2.svg.png
1887ElectionResults_zpsde351b05.png

The referendum on the future of the Romanian provinces was held in lieu of an election. By 64% to 36% on a 72% turnout, they voted to join Hungary.

Voting ended up as follows:
AssemblyCouncil
YesAbstainNoYesAbstainNo
Elderly Security Act33405737013Passed
Law of Papal Guarantees34752825936Failed

---

Actions Required:

All state leadership appointments are confirmed, except the Chancellorship of Austria, which needs a vote. Austrians, please vote between Frederick von Innsbruck-Brno ((Spectre17)) and Eric von Rumpus ((Andre Massena)).

Please vote on the following legislation stating the party you represent: The Congressional Powers Bill*, The Constitutional Monarchy Referendum Act, Amended, The Restoration of Justice Act, Sik's Motion of No Confidence, the Convention of 1887 Act*, the Federal Police Act and the incorporation of the Romanian provinces into Hungary.

* denotes amendments to the constitution.

The deadline will be Saturday at midday (BST).

Sample Ballot [Austrians Only]:
Chancellor of Austria: [von Innsbruck-Brno / von Rumpus]
[Austria]

Sample Ballot [All]:
The Congressional Powers Bill: [Yes/No/Abstain]
The Constitutional Monarchy Referendum Act, Amended: [Yes/No/Abstain]
The Restoration of Justice Act: [Yes/No/Abstain]
Motion of No Confidence: [Yes/No/Abstain]
Convention of 1887: [Yes/No/Abstain]
Federal Police Act: [Yes/No/Abstain]
Incorporation of the Romanian provinces into Hungary: [Yes/No/Abstain]
[GBP/DIP/DPU/CRD/ADCP/CU/FDP/RUF/DRSL]​
))

Last edited:
The Congressional Powers Bill: [Abstain]
The Constitutional Monarchy Referendum Act, Amended: [YES]- It is time once and for all to end this debate. If the people want a monarchy like the Imperialists say they do, then who are we to stop them? If they do not want a monarchy, then it shows democracy will always be the government of choice for the people.
The Restoration of Justice Act: [YES]
Motion of No Confidence: [Abstain]
Convention of 1887: [YES]
Federal Police Act: [YES]
Incorporation of the Romanian provinces into Hungary: [YES]
[CU]

-Alp Mustafa, Minister of Security and Prime Minister of Cyprus

The Constitutional Monarchy Referendum Act, Amended: [YES]
Motion of No Confidence: [Nay]
Convention of 1887: [YES]
Federal Police Act: [YES]
CU

~Agostino Frazzini

320px-Cisalpina.png

A Pronouncement of the President of the State of Cisalpina
Nicolò Donato

As it is within my power, I do hereby dismiss Marco Arpaio from his post as Prime Minister of the State of Cisalpina, in his stead I appoint Agostino Frazzini.

Marshal Nicolò Donato
President of the State of Cisalpina
First Consul of the Italian Republic

The Constitutional Monarchy Referendum Act, Amended: [Yes]
The Restoration of Justice Act: [Yes]
Motion of No Confidence: [Abstain]
Convention of 1887: [Abstain]
Federal Police Act: [Yes]
Incorporation of the Romanian provinces into Hungary: [Yes]
[DIP]

((the Ahawk just confirmed via PM he has no opinion whether Metzler is gulity of treason or not or what should happen with him. Since I think me making a decision whether my own character is a traitor or not would break the game I ask all of you: Is Metzler guilty or not? Should he be executed or released?)

Status
Not open for further replies.