• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
((I'm also a bit surprised at how tolerant this group is, but right on. Might I suggest someone take up a counter-resolution that might be a little tamer than full participation for religious minorities? Something along the lines of a quota system, where only a certain percentage of seats from each state would be open for Jews and Muslims to run for. Just an idea, but if someone in the gov. wants to pick it up, be my guest.))
((They can stand for elections, winning them is another thing entirely. Having a jewish representative being elected because he's a jew is very unlikely unless some state has some very messed up election laws.))

Uncomfortable Positions

My arrival in Paris was not as discreet as I had hoped. Word of my arrival had gotten out, and I, in my pride, had refused to change our trajectory[1]. Thus, in addition to a diplomat and chauffeur, I was welcomed by a group of french republicans protesting against Emperor Napoléon's rule[2] who saw me as a brother in arms. I don't know that they fully understood the irony of the situation. Not only was I here to ask the Emperor to uphold our alliance in the face of the Bavarian and Prussian threats, I was and still am one of the leaders of the largest monarch-friendly party of the Danube. I remained deathly quiet as I headed for our coach. Anything I could have said or done would have been either treason against the Republic or an insult to the French Empire. It was bad enough that our internal conflict inspired jacobins here. The Emperor was certainly not pleased. He offered little, but recognizing the Republic as the legitimate representative of the Federation equated to a guarantee against a Prussian assault. No word on Bavaria, though it was strongly implied that my hosts would be most displeased should these events lead to a change of the status quo in Europa or an abolition of monarchism in the Federation. As much as I disliked this attitude, I was in no position to negotiate.

[1] : Doing so would have had me arrive at the Gare d'Austerlitz. Who in their right mind would welcome friends at a place named for one of their defeats ?
[2] : ((Napoléon is in power in France through circumstances unknown, though the 1848 revolution failed to result in a Second Republic. Ask the GM.))

Janos Papp, "The Castle of My Crimes".

Last edited:
((I don't think I explained myself well enough. The seats wouldn't be reserved for religious minorities, only open for them to run for against any other candidate. This would be to address popular notions of Christians losing control of the government. And I don't think it's totally beyond the pale in the second half of the 19th century for a Jewish politician to at least be competitive in the more urban, cosmopolitan regions of Central Europe.))

Last edited:
((Didn't Austria emancipate the Jews 40years previously, or did they just give them the vote?))

((Neither. The pioneer of equality for Jews was Franz Joseph, who granted emancipation in 1867, but he never came to the throne in this timeline. And... what vote? Could anyone vote? What would they vote for, absolute monarch? I might be mistaken, but I think Jews had equal rights with everyone else to not vote.))

((I thought that Austria began relaxing restrictions around 1810, so by now I imagined that they would be able to hold office, though of course we could say that the revolution changed that.))

((Neither. The pioneer of equality for Jews was Franz Joseph, who granted emancipation in 1867, but he never came to the throne in this timeline. And... what vote? Could anyone vote? What would they vote for, absolute monarch? I might be mistaken, but I think Jews had equal rights with everyone else to not vote.))
((A-H was a constitutional monarchy, and there were regular elections to both Parliaments...))

((A-H was a constitutional monarchy, and there were regular elections to both Parliaments...))

((Austria-Hungary never existed in this timeline. The constitutional monarchy in Austria only seems to have been implemented after the 1848 revolution, which would mean that Austria never had a constitutional monarchy in this timeline because we just got rid of the whole thing instead, and the Hungarian Diet seems to have been made up of the nobility instead of being elected.))

((In other words we're all still imagining just how different this deviation makes the whole thing.))

((Austria-Hungary never existed in this timeline. The constitutional monarchy in Austria only seems to have been implemented after the 1848 revolution, which would mean that Austria never had a constitutional monarchy in this timeline because we just got rid of the whole thing instead, and the Hungarian Diet seems to have been made up of the nobility instead of being elected.))
((Derp, I mix ITTL and OTL all the time...))

I would really like to clarify on my beliefs. I was quite unclear, but I am Christian. I simply believe our God helps all people regardless of religion and that we must cooperate with all religions. Yes, I do believe God, Yahweh, and Allah are the same. Was Christianity not derived from Judaism as Islam was? Jews and Muslims are our brothers in faith. There are differences, but just as Christians have differences between Catholics, Protestants, and Orthodox. I have been told God's offer of Christianity is the way for them, yet so many never get the chance to even see a Christian or hear of God ever in their lives. And others have been raised in their own faiths their whole lives, would you change your religion if a foreigner came telling you to convert? My point is we must cooperate with people of all religions, following Christ's example of outreach, and support all religions that are not inherently violent and support the Toleration Act. I am a Christian, I just believe in a God that loves all humans and wants us all to cooperate no matter our birth beliefs.

-Pavel Pištora, Deputy for Bohemia

((Pištora really isn't pantheistic or deistic just believes the Christian God (that he worships and believes in)) is a more powerful God who gives love to all without them being Christian and therefore they must all be loved as equal humans))

Last edited:
Lilic's popularity, fueled by recent controversies, granted him a platform to speak his mind. It was not uncommon for newspapers to run an article or to quote some speech, most likely given on a street corner. Notable excerpts at the time held a focus on Jewish representation, such as this example, directed towards Federal chambers.

We as a people, as Danubians, must stay united. It is no secret that I am a Christian man, believing in the one true God and his son Jesus Christ. Our Federation was born Christian, same as I, and with only the exception of new territory do we face true religious turmoil. To become truly unified, in my humble opinion, we must maintain a Christian Federation, with all true believers hand in hand.

Of late, the question of Jews, running for election has arisen, in the form of the Toleration Act. My heart goes out to the poor misguided Jewish people who shy from God's light, and the truth of Christianity. Nevertheless, I do not advocate harsh treatment upon them, as us Christian people must remain civilized. It is a good dream, to believe we may live together in harmony, as followers of different faiths, but the reality must not be ignored. As good Herr Papp has said, even with cultural differences we quarrel amongst ourselves, imagine what religion will do.

To that regard, I oppose the Toleration Act. However, I do recognize the need to properly represent the non-Christians. I propose a new bill, to allow them to run for a separate set of offices, occupied by those of different faiths, different from the Christian offices. I have no official bill written up, as I am but a soldier, but I would welcome collaboration from any fellow supporters and believers.

- Jovan Lilic

Last edited:
((An article from a newspaper covering the election campaign in Silesia))

von Falkenhayn's vision

The leader of the Conservative block in Silesia Heinrich von Falkenhayn does not spare the words in critisizing the Silesian Council. Yesterday he called the Council members maggots and traitors who illegally has seized power in Silesia, from the rightful ruler King Luitpold I. He promised a Conservative victory in the elections would mean increased power of the "rightful monarch appointed by God" and that "traitors will hang and the revolutions will end" and continued calling for a "return to normalcy". He said that with him in power Silesia would turn to Bavaria and Prussia for a Pan- Germanic and Pan- Monarchist alliance, and would resist the "Republican madness of Vienna". We later asked one of the leading activists for Knittel's campaign, who also has a seat on the Silesian Council Jakub Weinberg what he though of von Falkenhayn's campaign. "The man is a loon, everytime he open his mouth he loses votes", was the only answer Weinberg was willing to give. With election day approaching it's too close to call whether von Falkenhayn's Conservative block or Knittel's Republican block will win.

((Aren't you going a bit over the top here?))

I would call on the Silesian Council to surrender Jakub Weinberg to Federal authorities so the man can stand trial for his crimes against this Federation. He has hidden in Silesia long enough, and must be brought to justice.

~ Victor Kraus, Bt, NH, KST, COE, GMB, GCM, CD, PSM, Landmeister of Austria for, and Trapier of, the Teutonic Order, President of the Danubian Federation

((Well, I'm back from vacation, and as much as I'd love to read the ~700 missed posts, if someone could catch me up, I'd really appreciate it. [When I left, the coup was still in progress] If someone could also fill me in on the situation not in Silesia, I'd be much obliged.))

((Well, I'm back from vacation, and as much as I'd love to read the ~700 missed posts, if someone could catch me up, I'd really appreciate it. [When I left, the coup was still in progress] If someone could also fill me in on the situation not in Silesia, I'd be much obliged.))

((Well summary is this; coup was defeated with Kremvera killing himself, Lilic was pardoned, there are debates as to what to do with Silesia and Hungary with arguments for expulsion/annexation and more existing, Silesia still has its King but there is a bill that seeks to remove Monarchies entirely from this Federation, which could have really big impact on our Monarchist neighbours. That's about it.))

((After the coup almost everyone has seemed to yellowed more and in some cases reddened. So at the rate of this we might end up being a ~1870 eras state in the 1850s. Also your running for chancellor against some fanatical pan german guy in silesia.))

((Thanks Tapscott and Otto.))

An uneven thumping is heard outside the council chambers. The door opens, revealing Knittel. He is thinner and older looking than he was before the war, and he has a prosthetic leg which he supports with a crutch.

Hello again, everyone. I must apologize for my absence, and also for not returning in my entirety. The elections in Silesia have taken up much of my time since the war ended, but I am eager to once again resume my duties as deputy wile they come to a close.

((Just to remind people that voting will be closed in two hours. Get voting against the silly Healthcare Act! Who the heck is going to pay for that thing ?))

Yellow Fervour

After these negotiations in Paris, I was supposed to hop back on a train for Milano, and head to Treviso from there. United Command would have to wait however, as I was delayed by a straggling flu, late in this french winter. Coughing and sweating, I occupied my fevered days with reading; the libraries of Paris spoke in unexpected length of my country, and I learned more about Hungary and Bohemia than I had ever cared to before the Revolution. Logistical reality delayed my departure for several days even after my recovery, and thus I took the time to visit this city whose inhabitants seem to think of as the center of the world. Boulevards seemingly slashed across the streets, revealing cafés, richly decorated residences and shops; fountains and status planted at every plaza, arrogantly claiming Rome's legacy for France.
Had it not been for the language, I would have thought myself in Prague and here as there, politicians and thinkers liked to gather in cafés to discuss their ideas. I was in fact invited to one, by one of my "friends" who had welcomed me at the station with revolutionary cries. Despite my leanings, and against Ambassador Von J.'s recommendation, I accepted it. Off I went into the night, to share a drink with those proudly claimed themselves jacobins. Men I'd have looked on with suspicion at home, and yet they welcomed me with all the honours du to a friend. We spoke of democracy, of republics and empires, and many things in between. One that caused much discussion these nights was the seeming incompatibility between democracy and republic. Here as in Silesia, the people liked their monarch and the ancestral institution. And what was wrong with that ? I asked. Many arguments came my way, all I had heard during our own debates in Vienna. But this time, one in particular caught my attention : What for ? What purpose did a monarchy serve in democracy ? If the monarch had the approval of the people, all was good, but if, or when, he did not ? All monarchy brought then was a risk, an invitation for tyranny to come back through doors we know so well. It put on its throne men whose sole accomplishment it was to be born with a crown on their head. If nobles cared for the people as they say they do, what need do they have of a hereditary title to prove it ? Their actions should speak for themselves. Monarchy had long since become a relic; the names that used to designate those with merit, power and responsibility had grown into petty artifices bringing undeserved wealth and privilege to those who bore them. What this system needed was a clean slate : end the illusions of the senile monarchy, and bring in a new order, that would once again serve the people. And who is to say that in a thousand years, men will not be writing on the rot of the Republic as I am on that of the Monarchy ? Even the Savagery of the first men was eventually corrupted by tyrants.

Janos Papp, "The Castle of My Crimes"

((Just to remind people that voting will be closed in two hours. Get voting against the silly Healthcare Act! Who the heck is going to pay for that thing ?))

((State governments :) The Ministry of Health is under the Ministry of the Interior and funding can come from both state and federal sources according to the bill; hence the Interior Ministry [especially under Than] will not be expending much on healthcare...))

((PS, don't you mean incompatibility between democracy and monarchy not republic?))

I regretfully inform this Congress that I am forced to resign due to reasons of ill health. I wish the gentlemen of this Congress the boon of divine grace as they set about running this troubled Federation.

-C.C.

((And now for something completely different...))

george_dawe_ra_portrait_of_a_young_gentleman_d5509932h.jpg

Name: Teodato di Gherardesca
Date of Birth: 2nd May, 1821
Place of Birth: Livorno, Granducato di Toscano
Culture: Tuscan
Position: Ambassador from the Court of Duke Leopold II, Duke of Tuscany
Biography: Scion of one of the oldest Tuscan families with many Statesmen and Generals in the family history; the young Teodato was born with a silver spoon due to his aristocratic family and their vast wealth and estates. Taking up the life of a Tuscan gentlemen early on, he went to the finest schools and universities in Tuscany and aspired to become a man of letters. This changed when he became acquainted with the young Domenico Mocenigo, in diplomatic service to the Grand Duchy to supplement his own vast family fortune. The two became fast friends and Domenico soon inspired Teodato to go into service as a politician and serve his nation; which he later did. The two kept in touch until Domenico's demise and as Tuscany grew ever closer to her near-neighbour, he was eventually chosen to serve as ambassador to the Hofburg from Ferdinand's court after his ascension to the County of Donoratico upon his father's death.

Last edited:
((PS, don't you mean incompatibility between democracy and monarchy not republic?))
((No, otherwise everything would be much simpler!))

((And I feel that it's not going to be applied very well.. the bill doesn't specify how much each actor contributes, only the federal ministry sets the objectives.. Bleh! The Guard Act is a bit like that too.))

Status
Not open for further replies.