• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jewish community is already teaching their children, this allow us to supervise it.

Yes they have survived since their creation from teaching their children their beliefs and traditions. I fear though the catholic church won't be happy if the Jewish population gets raised drastically from this. ((an actual Jewish schooling community wouldn't be created until after WWII in the U.S.))

Yes they have survived since their creation from teaching their children their beliefs and traditions. I fear though the catholic church won't be happy if the Jewish population gets raised drastically from this. ((an actual Jewish schooling community wouldn't be created until after WWII in the U.S.))
((Well this was about the time Jewish Day Schools started to appear in Germany, so perhaps Danubia will be influenced by that due to the Revolution)).

((Well this was about the time Jewish Day Schools started to appear in Germany, so perhaps Danubia will be influenced by that due to the Revolution)).

((everything jewish/hedrew schooling related I've read says that it started in 1900s we're still like 50 years away from that so its a bit of a stretch, there was a lot of jewish enlightenment but I don't see anywhere about schooling. None the less you are right that it would influence you little hungarians, but we southern germans stay strong on our beliefs!))

1852-1854 - Codrinaru: A Nagying Problem

The presidential election of 1852 unfolded in stark contrast to the preceding primaries; no more could Danubian politics be called bland and predictable. In fact, not one single electoral forecast, be it through the rudimentary from of polling available at the time, party membership charts or complex extrapolation from existing social data, was able to predict either the eventual winner or the manner in which he took victory. Indeed, the coalition that formed between a flagging liberal party and a conservative candidate who looked increasingly sure of sealing the top office with little trouble left both the political left and right in a state of near shock, especially given their chosen candidate was neither actually standing for President at the time nor a member of the larger party. In doing so, Vice-President Ion Horsa Codrinaru had pulled off the greatest political coup of his age. His only remaining opponent, the Radical Union’s candidate, Petr Šik, recognised the coalition for the work of political genius it was, effectively pulling out of the race by announcing he would resign as the Union’s leader after the results were officially announced. The race for President was thus over in all but name, with Codrinaru securing the backing of all states other than the two northern radical strongholds.

election1852.png

1. The results of the presidential election, 1852​

The one place that the election’s result did cause controversy was Hungary. Every Hungarian political party had either endorsed de Nyitra or was part of his coalition; it was the most solidly blue state there was. Many though, in particular the reactionary elements of the state, saw de Nyitra’s subordination as selling out to the Liberals. In Budapest, where tempers flared highest, the same signs that had precluded the Vienna riots began to emerge; random abductions, arson attacks and terrorist incidents slowing built through the winter following the election.

The violence reached its peak on 7th March 1853, after the Hungarian Parliament approved the final version of the Plebiscite Act on Slovak Statehood. Fears of a reprise of the widespread anarchy that had characterised Vienna less than 5 years ago caused the Minister of War to order an entire Federal Army to march on the city. President Nagy, meanwhile, ordered the Hungarian Militia to both pacify the city from within and defend the city from without, forbidding the Federal government to cross the city limits. Codrinaru attempted to intervene, but his orders soon got lost in translation, as the Second Southern Army ended up camping outside the city rather then heading for the border. Though the Hungarian Militia, together with a concerted political effort to prevent conflict, caused the mob to dissipate, rumours of stolen weapons led to both the Army and the Militia remaining in the city’s vicinity.

weal_09_img1688.jpg

2. A small engraving of the protests in the city of Budapest, March 1853​

Hungary continued to rumble on, but by the Summer of 1847, the nation’s attention turned north, as Codrinaru left for a conference with Prussia in the Munich. Though he managed to secure a few alterations to the suggestion sent the previous year by the Prussian Ambassador, only the states Bavaria, Baden and Württemberg were guaranteed as under Danubian influence while attempts to prevent a pan-German conference were blocked. Out of the deal, Prussia got assurances from the Federation about all states north of Prussia herself and the territory the Russians had taken the previous decade; the Federation, meanwhile, secured the former Austrian duchy of Silesia (which had almost twice the population of Ostpruβen and had been captured by Prussia after the War of the Austrian Succession). Silesia was near unanimously accepted as a federal state by congress on 21st August 1853 and the first 10-yearly census was brought forward to 1854 so as to allow the state to participate in elections in the 1856 elections. The German Union, the other main product of the Munich Conference and the direct replacement of the abandoned German Confederation, was signed into law by all of the successor states to the Confederation’s members at Frankfurt in January 1854.

The result of the Slovak Plebiscite, which had taken place concurrently with Hungarian parliamentary elections, was announced on the 11th June 1854. It had been tight, with many being swayed by the new power to vote in state elections they had received, but the population supported statehood by a margin of just 1,264 votes. Not a ringing endorsement, but Nagy vowed to keep his word and presented the Deferred Slovak Statehood Act to the State Legislature. It sparked an uprising which proved the existence of those mysterious vanishing weapons that had been illegally stored since the revolution before being stolen. A well armed mob marched the streets, eventually laying siege to the Sándor Palace, the official residence of President Nagy of Hungary. Seeing the chaos, the Southern Army attempted to enter the city to restore order, in direct contravention of Codrinaru’s repeated orders. The Hungarian militia, seeing the advancing army and knowing they were to hold the city no matter what, fired upon the Federal troops. The end result was a siege within a siege; Nagy believed that the Militia, which outnumbered the mob by more than 2 to 1, could restore order with little problem, while the Generals of the 2nd Southern were unwilling to leave the city to its own devices and kept demanding that the Militia open the gates.

kvehu0317s.jpg

3. The Sándor Palace as it stands today​

The climax of the Budapest Uprising came on the 15th when the mob stormed the Sándor Palace. As the Hungarian Cabinet retreated deeper into the complex and it became clear that there was no way that the Militia could cope, Nagy eventually sent a message to the walls that the Federal Army would be permitted to enter the city. It was, for the Hungarian President, however, too little too late; just two hours later, the Nagy was captured, forced to sign an executive order which voided the vote and then shot through the heart. Order was restored to the city after 5 further hours of heavy fighting, but the state of Hungary was left without any executive for two whole years and the Slovak statehood was once again repulsed thanks to one man’s intransigence.

After Frankfurt, Codrinaru had continued his active foreign policy by leaving for Cairo, where he signed the Treaty of Alexandria, which cemented a political and military alliance between the two states in the wake of Ottoman motions threatening to retake the Levant (plus secured a significant amount of Federal investment in Egyptian infrastructure and industry). In return, the island of Crete was transferred to Federal control and Codrinaru got a pretext for war. Conflict became a certainty after, on 15th March 1854, the DFS Sofa (one of the larger vessels in the Red Star Fleet) was fired upon by a small gun boat flying a Turkish flag while patrolling off the coast of North Africa. The “Gulf of Tobruk Resolution” was rushed through congress and promised that the Federation would oppose all Ottoman aggression in the Mediterranean.

1043630-1323282.jpg

4. The front page of the Egyptian copy of the Treaty of Cairo​

That war came in July 1854. The Turks issued an ultimatum on the 4th, with nominal British backing, that Egypt transfer all its possessions north and east of Sinai. Before the reply (which was unsurprisingly outright rejection) could reach Istanbul, the Federation issued its own demands of the Sultan. British action seemed assured, but a timely intervention by Foreign Minister Victor Kraus in resuscitating an old alliance with the Greeks and promising Federal support for their claims on the wealthy province of Macedonia pacified a government in Westminster that was keen not to get entangled in a major European land war, for which the British Army was ill prepared (especially given since Britain had not had a continental alliance with a Great Power since the War of Austrian Succession). Federal troops crossed into Northern Bosnia on the 16th in the start of what looked to be an easy war against a power ill-equipped to fight on three fronts.

---

Actions required:

Firstly, apologies to Americans for the references to Vietnam – I couldn’t resist. Apologies also to Brits for the bad pun in that section (I use the same excuse….)

Just to clarify, we will continue to vote based on the old weightings until 1856; ie you cannot be a councillor or deputy from Silesia until then.

Please vote on the following acts; Congressional Decorum Act, Liberated Territories Act, Supreme Court Amendment, Reconstruction of Vienna Act, Internal Trade Act, State Empowerment Act, Freedom of Movement Act, Federal Education Act

Austrians, vote on; German Relocation Fund, Industrial Expansion Act, State Defence Act

Croatians, vote on;Industrial Expansion Act

Hungarians, vote on; Education Reform Act

Last edited:
I vote
German Relocation fund, Yea
Industrial Expansion Act, Yea
State Defense Act, Yea'
-
Liberated territories, Yea
Supreme court, Yea
Reconstruction of vienna, Yea
Internal Trade, Yea
State Empowerment act, Yea ((Its going to fail, but im not gonna bail on my own bill am I?))
Abstain from all others.

We mourn today the death of a true Patriot, a man whose shoes will be hard to fill for whoever succeed him. Though this Slovak question annoy me greatly. I think President Nagy made a mistake letting it go this far. But he was truly one of the Greatest Men of Hungary, a man whose ideals we must all aspire to. Now more than ever Hungary need strong leadership. I promise to run for the position of President of the State of Hungary next election. Two years without a President will be hard, but we will survive.

Congressional Decorum Act: Nay
Liberated Territories Act: Aye
Supreme Court Amendment: Aye
Reconstruction of Vienna Act: Aye
Internal Trade Act: Nay
State Empowerment Act: Aye
Freedom of Movement Act: Nay
Federal Education Act: Nay

Hungary:
Education Reform Act: Aye

Last edited:
((So... was the DSSA passed and then overturned, or was it just proposed and it was the plebiscite that was overturned? If it's the latter then the DSSA should be voted on this cycle. Unless it was withdrawn too...? Also, is the 2nd Southern still in Budapest?))

Congressional Decorum Act: Nay
Liberated Territories Act: Nay
Supreme Court Amendment: Yea
Reconstruction of Vienna Act: Abstain
Internal Trade Act: Yea
State Empowerment Act: Yea
Freedom of Movement Act: Yea – Article 4, however, is most worrisome, and I would much rather it not be present in the bill.
Federal Education Act: Yea
[LOMBARD]

((So... was the DSSA passed and then overturned, or was it just proposed and it was the plebiscite that was overturned? If it's the latter then the DSSA should be voted on this cycle. Unless it was withdrawn too...? Also, is the 2nd Southern still in Budapest?))

((The latter, but the DSSA was also withdrawn. And no, it is at Nagyseben [good name; similarity unnoticed until now...] in Transylvania, but the Army of the Eagle is in Budapest.))

I deeply mourn for the loss of President Nagy and condemn in the utmost his deplorable and sickening murder.As he was forced to overturn the results of the vote under duress and murdered immediately thereafter, the voiding is invalid and illegal. The results of the plebiscite should be respected and the Deferred Slovak Statehood Act should therefore be law. I call upon the Hungarian Militia to enforce it. In the rather likely event that the militia is unable to enforce the laws of its own state that duty should fall to the Federal Army, and I would call upon the Army to do so as soon as is practical (I do not expect forces to be diverted from the front lines for this purpose, but the Army of the Eagle should perform that task if it is to remain in Budapest). In addition, executive power should fall to the military or the federal government before a new President is elected. I do not propose anything so severe as martial law, but this is a time of war and order is urgently needed. In accordance with the Deferred Slovak Statehood Act, I call for a Provisional Assembly of Slovakia to be held in Bratislava immediately and I expect the protection of the militia or the Federal Army should any seek to interfere with it. I stress that this is not a secession, it is simply the first step of a peaceful, lawful, and mutually agreed upon transitional process consistent with the results of the plebiscite.

We must not let these fanatics win. We must not tolerate this treason at a time of war. We must not let President Nagy's death be in vain.

Congressional Decorum Act: Nay, while I applaud my leader's motives on this act, I believe it to be an unacceptable infringements on the free speech rights of the members of this body. ((And it would impede on my right to call the Venetian dirty names :p))
Liberated Territories Act: Yea
Reconstruction of Vienna Act: Yea
State Empowerment Act: Nay, Nay, Nay, Nay, NAY!
Freedom of Movement Act: Yea
Industrial Expansion Act (Croatia): Obviously YEA

I deeply mourn for the loss of President Nagy and condemn in the utmost his deplorable and sickening murder.As he was forced to overturn the results of the vote under duress and murdered immediately thereafter, the voiding is invalid and illegal. The results of the plebiscite should be respected and the Deferred Slovak Statehood Act should therefore be law. I call upon the Hungarian Militia to enforce it. In the rather likely event that the militia is unable to enforce the laws of its own state that duty should fall to the Federal Army, and I would call upon the Army to do so as soon as is practical (I do not expect forces to be diverted from the front lines for this purpose, but the Army of the Eagle should perform that task if it is to remain in Budapest). In addition, executive power should fall to the military or the federal government before a new President is elected. I do not propose anything so severe as martial law, but this is a time of war and order is urgently needed. In accordance with the Deferred Slovak Statehood Act, I call for a Provisional Assembly of Slovakia to be held in Bratislava immediately and I expect the protection of the militia or the Federal Army should any seek to interfere with it. I stress that this is not a secession, it is simply the first step of a peaceful, lawful, and mutually agreed upon transitional process consistent with the results of the plebiscite.

We must not let these fanatics win. We must not tolerate this treason at a time of war. We must not let President Nagy's death be in vain.
((Oh that's right, he died))

Last edited:
hu-lgflag.gif

A Resolution from the Parliament of Hungary

The Provisional Assembly of Slovakia is hereby declared as a secessionist organisation from the state of Hungary. In accordance with state law, all members of this Assembly shall be charged with Treason.

Not only was the Plebiscite held in the region of Slovakia neither binding or conclusive (this Parliament reminds the Federation that it was won by just 1,264 votes from an electorate of 719,070, or 0.176%, and with a turnout of less than 56%), but the legally never happened and therefore cannot be the basis of a legal compromise.

((Oh that's right, he died)) I concur with the honourable gentleman, a law which has been signed legally and lawfully cannot be overturned under duress, the law is signed, and the process should go forward.

((The DSSA wasn't signed and legally neither was the Plebiscite act [think of annulment]))

Congressional Decorum Act: Nay, while I applaud my leader's motives on this act, I believe it to be an unacceptable infringements on the free speech rights of the members of this body. ((And it would impede on my right to call the Venetian dirty names :p))
Liberated Territories Act: Yea
Reconstruction of Vienna Act: Yea
State Empowerment Act: Nay, Nay, Nay, Nay, NAY!
Freedom of Movement Act: Yea
Industrial Expansion Act (Croatia): Obviously YEA

Glad to have your feedback on the state empowerment act obradovic ;)

((The DSSA wasn't signed and legally neither was the Plebiscite act [think of annulment]))
(:)())
Glad to have your feedback on the state empowerment act obradovic ;)
((I'm glad I'm still pertinent, I was beginning to worry everyone would forget about me :happy:))

hu-lgflag.gif

A Resolution from the Parliament of Hungary

The Provisional Assembly of Slovakia is hereby declared as a secessionist organisation from the state of Hungary. In accordance with state law, all members of this Assembly shall be charged with Treason.

Not only was the Plebiscite held in the region of Slovakia neither binding or conclusive (this Parliament reminds the Federation that it was won by just 1,264 votes from an electorate of 719,070, or 0.176%, and with a turnout of less than 56%), but the legally never happened and therefore cannot be the basis of a legal compromise.

A wise resolution. I fully back this decision by the Hungarian Parliament.

German Relocation Fund: YES
Industrial Expansion Act: YES
State Defense Act: YES
-
Liberated Territories: YES
Supreme Court: YES
Reconstruction of Vienna: YES
Internal Trade: YES
State Empowerment Act: NO
Freedom of Movement Act: YES
Federal Education Act: YES

Congressional Decorum Act: Abstain
Liberated Territories Act: Aye
Supreme Court Amendment: Aye
Reconstruction of Vienna Act: Aye
Internal Trade Act: Aye
State Empowerment Act: Abstain
Freedom of Movement Act: Aue
Federal Education Act: Aye

I reject the ruling of the Hungarian Parliament. The Assembly is not a secessionist organization. As citizens of Hungary and of the Federation we have the right to free speech and the right to gather peacefully. I doubt that the Parliament can point out any existing law that says otherwise, and to pass a new law to that effect would be unconstitutional. Furthermore, I do not believe that the Parliament has the authority to issue such a measure in the absence of a President or of any other form of executive power.

At the very least, the Deferred Slovak Statehood Act should be up for a vote immediately, as it cannot have been withdrawn under duress. Likewise the plebiscite was voided under duress and was therefore never legally voided, and the Parliament's attempt to claim that the plebiscite "never legally happened" is an absurd loophole that insults the memory of President Nagy. It is clear that the Parliament is not on the side of law, democracy, and President Nagy, but on the side of the same murderous, fanatical scoundrels that took his life.

((Good luck telling Sykora that. Also, we never agreed on the turnout, so I assumed that it would be higher than 56%...))

In accordance with this new resolution by the Parliament of the State of Hungary I bring charges of Treason against Councillor Sykora for association with the illegal secessionist organization called the Provisional Assembly of Slovakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.