• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would respectfully recommend to Councillor de Nyitra that, if he wishes the State of Hungary to handle the Slovakian Question as a purely internal matter, the State of Hungary would be best served by acting quickly and fairly on the issue, as so far nothing but an ongoing feud between its councillors has been generated by this discussion. Decisive action is required if this is to remain a State matter, because as it stands the Slovakian Question is already destabilizing the Federation and its Congress, a matter in which the Federal government has a clear and vital interest.

Should the State of Hungary not act post-haste to answer the Slovakian Question in a manner that is reasonable and just, I will support Councillor Sykora's initiative to achieve Slovakian independence through Federal legislation and I will call upon all of my like-minded colleagues to do the same.

Also, I support Councillor Petr Šik in his bid for the Federal Presidency and further submit myself as a candidate for the Presidency of Austria.

~ Erich Vogel, Councillor for Austria

Are you not aware, Councillor, that the Hungarian Representation Act is presently under discussion and consideration in Congress? I am in full support of this act, which grants full voting rights to the Slovak people, and protects those rights aswell. Is this not decisive action? Does this not resolve the Slovak issue? For this gives the Slovaks what they wish, Councillor Vogel, fair and just representation. And it is all achieved by the State of Hungary itself, without a single prompt at all by the Federal Government. This is the ideal piece of legislation for the handling of issues regarding minorities and ethnicities, and I shall champion them in my Presidential Manifesto.

- Károly Vörös de Nyitra, Councillor for Hungary

I would respectfully recommend to Councillor de Nyitra that, if he wishes the State of Hungary to handle the Slovakian Question as a purely internal matter, the State of Hungary would be best served by acting quickly and fairly on the issue, as so far nothing but an ongoing feud between its councillors has been generated by this discussion. Decisive action is required if this is to remain a State matter, because as it stands the Slovakian Question is already destabilizing the Federation and its Congress, a matter in which the Federal government has a clear and vital interest.

Should the State of Hungary not act post-haste to answer the Slovakian Question in a manner that is reasonable and just, I will support Councillor Sykora's initiative to achieve Slovakian independence through Federal legislation and I will call upon all of my like-minded colleagues to do the same.

Also, I support Councillor Petr Šik in his bid for the Federal Presidency and further submit myself as a candidate for the Presidency of Austria.

I resent the idea that Hungary is incapable of settling the issue internally. Indeed, my administration in Budapest is working hard to ensure that further conflict is prevented through voting reforms that would see all races within our state join in an equal partnership to stabilise the situation and set a precedent of compromise and tolerance to all states in this Federation.

I would like to remind the respectable Councillor de Nyitra that Transylvania is passing an act in it's State Congress of a similar nature. The failure of federation-wide minority protection may mean that the protection of said minorities may require state level legislation as opposed to federal level legislation.

~ Vice President Ion Horsa C.

((Can members of the ministery be state leaders as well?))

I would like to remind the respectable Councillor de Nyitra that Transylvania is passing an act in it's State Congress of a similar nature. The failure of federation-wide minority protection may mean that the protection of said minorities may require state level legislation as opposed to federal level legislation.

~ Vice President Ion Horsa C.

((Can members of the ministery be state leaders as well?))

((The Presidents of Hungary and Austria have seats in the Council, so theoretically could, but all other state leaders are not members of Congress, and so cannot be ministers.))

((Shall we start writing up and submitting Presidential manifestos now?))

Name: Elias DeSanctis
Date of Birth: 17th January, 1821
Place of Birth: Venice, Venezia
Culture: Italian
Position: Military Officer
Biography: Elias was born into a former noble family that had fallen upon hard times. After his father was killed fighting for the revolution, Elias decided he would join the Army to protect the revolution his father loved so much to die for. He is a staunch supporter of the Federation, and while supporting each people's right to statehood in the federation, he bitterly opposes sectionalism and secessionists. He is ready to take up the banner of the Federation to bring it honor and keep it together.

((Shall we start writing up and submitting Presidential manifestos now?))

((Yes; it looks unlikely that there will be Primaries, and if there won't be, I shall be bowing out. If I could ask that these are PMed to me not posted. Should someone else declare their candidacy, we may have to rethink...))

Biography: Elias was born into a former noble family that had fallen upon hard times. After his father was killed fighting for the revolution, Elias decided he would join the Army to protect the revolution his father loved so much to die for. He is a staunch supporter of the Federation, and while supporting each people's right to statehood in the federation, he bitterly opposes sectionalism and secessionists. He is ready to take up the banner of the Federation to bring it honor and keep it together.

((DeSanctis isn't even an Venetian name; much less a Venetian noble family.... But welcome....))

Last edited:

((There goes Venezia-c'est-moi :) Welcome RedNomNoms.))

PLace of Birth: Venice, Venezia
he bitterly opposes sectionalism and secessionists. He is ready to take up the banner of the Federation to bring it honor and keep it together.

((That is an interesting mix))

Welcome Colonel DeSanctis, I hope you enjoy Vienna while you are here. I expect you will be deployed to Milan before long.

~Vice President Ion Horsa C.

((Can we hold off on the moving to manifestos till I get my Hawk Party running I am at work for another few hours but will have it all up within 5 hours))

Welcome, Messere.... DeSanctis? I am surprised that the Militia Office has not told me of your appointment in the service our our beloved Serenissima. Welcome to Vienna regardless!

I would just like to announce to the Councillors assembled here that my negotiation with the leaders of Lombardia via telegraph has failed. For some reason they have the ridiculous notion that Piedmont and France will come to their aid. It seems there is no peaceful solution to this secessionist rebellion.

I also support the bill presented by Councillor Mocenigo. While I do realize this will most likely lead to my arrest, I am confident in the justice system of this Federation.

~ Rodrigo Vertucci, Councillor for Lombardia

((Can we hold off on the moving to manifestos till I get my Hawk Party running I am at work for another few hours but will have it all up within 5 hours))
((Unfortunately, parties only come into effect during the next electoral cycle, so you will not be able to run for the Hawk Party until 1856.))

Are you not aware, Councillor, that the Hungarian Representation Act is presently under discussion and consideration in Congress? I am in full support of this act, which grants full voting rights to the Slovak people, and protects those rights aswell. Is this not decisive action? Does this not resolve the Slovak issue? For this gives the Slovaks what they wish, Councillor Vogel, fair and just representation. And it is all achieved by the State of Hungary itself, without a single prompt at all by the Federal Government. This is the ideal piece of legislation for the handling of issues regarding minorities and ethnicities, and I shall champion them in my Presidential Manifesto.

- Károly Vörös de Nyitra, Councillor for Hungary

The Hungarian Representation Act is truly a comprehensive piece of legislation, lacking only any meaningful support from the Slovakian people or their representatives, as well as any meaningful change to the status quo within the State of Hungary. If the people of Slovakia do indeed wish to remain within the State of Hungary, then why do the Councillors for Hungary oppose a plebiscite on the issue? It is the will of the people that matters the most, is it not?

theAhawk said:
I resent the idea that Hungary is incapable of settling the issue internally. Indeed, my administration in Budapest is working hard to ensure that further conflict is prevented through voting reforms that would see all races within our state join in an equal partnership to stabilise the situation and set a precedent of compromise and tolerance to all states in this Federation.

But your legislation has not achieved that goal; if anything, it has further inflamed Hungarian-Slovakian tensions and led to increased estrangement with their elected representative. While I approve of your goals to promote tolerance, it is clear that the Slovakian Question is not merely an issue of rights within Hungary, but rather a broader concern regarding their continued inclusion within the State. As long as those concerns are not addressed, this cannot be said to be an acceptable legislative effort.

Considering the fact that the Federal Congress has, multiple times over the last four years, tried and failed to advance Minority Reform in the Federation when more success has been on a State-by-State basis, perhaps we should implement a Cabinet post, the "Minister of Equality" or some such similar name. It would do such things as negotiate such bills into Regional Parliaments and mediate discussions between Minority and Majority, and thus grant States autonomy to implement such reforms in their own Ethnic Parliaments, whilst giving the Federal government the ability to suggest Minority reform without being accused of infringing upon the rights of states?

I feel that the failure of the current Federal government to implement real Federal reforms for equality teaches us a lesson: we must create a way to speak to States in a way that respects their integrity and Statehood. The Hungarian Minority acts have shown that State-level legislature is generally successful.

Would such a bill to implement a "Ministry of Equality" amount to much, or am I merely wasting congress time?

- Petr Šik, Czech councillor for Bohemia

Considering the fact that the Federal Congress has, multiple times over the last four years, tried and failed to advance Minority Reform in the Federation when more success has been on a State-by-State basis, perhaps we should implement a Cabinet post, the "Minister of Equality" or some such similar name. It would do such things as negotiate such bills into Regional Parliaments and mediate discussions between Minority and Majority, and thus grant States autonomy to implement such reforms in their own Ethnic Parliaments, whilst giving the Federal government the ability to suggest Minority reform without being accused of infringing upon the rights of states?

I feel that the failure of the current Federal government to implement real Federal reforms for equality teaches us a lesson: we must create a way to speak to States in a way that respects their integrity and Statehood. The Hungarian Minority acts have shown that State-level legislature is generally successful.

Would such a bill to implement a "Ministry of Equality" amount to much, or am I merely wasting congress time?

While it is a grand concept, I do not think it will be accepted by many of the states. I think the federal government should just leave the issue alone at this moment and allow the state representitives to do the fighting.

((Ministery of Equality!? This is not an Orwellian book, yet))

~Vice President Ion Horsa C.

I, for one, would support any bill that treats the states of this Federation with maturity and without patronisation. So long as this bill does not give Federal government the right to interfere unduly, I don't see how anyone could oppose such a move.

The Mobilization Act: Aye
General Mobilisation Act: Aye
Army of the People Act: Aye
The Amended Industrial Rights Act: Nye
The Sanctity of Congress Act: Aye
Galician Reconstruction Bill: Nye

I can't support the reconstruction bill because I find an sort of income tax illegal and unconstitutional, surely there must be other ways to bring in money to rebuild Galicia?
-Count Béla Aba, Councillor for Hungary

Status
Not open for further replies.