Steam options Pre-order and Season Pass

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And no, there won't be a non-steam version.. We had a huge forum-demand for a non-steam version of CK2, and it had an even less percent of the market than we had expected.

Oh dear...

Yoda-Flame-war-begun.jpg

In all seriousness, I'm not too happy about this news since I kind of like the flexibility that the stand-alone steamless games have. But I use Steam for plenty of stuff already like Skyrim, and it doesn't really inhibit modding, so I will still definitely buy the product. It's the people who refuse to use Steam I feel sorry for.

You think people only buy games because they're cheap? That otherwise they'd pirate them?

Pirating is always going to be cheaper than buying, whether the game is 60$ or 30$, I don't see how this works.

No, I've said that many people buy them WHEN they are cheap, and that's why the prices of the games after the first 0.5-1 years of the release start to converge into a 10-20$ price range. And of course there are sales as well. Like CK2 was 50$ after the release and just 3 months after the release there was sale where you could purchase it 50% cheaper.

It's the people who refuse to use Steam I feel sorry for.

They are rather few though. Just because you say one thing on a forum doesn't necessarily make it true.

Last edited:
They are rather few though. Just because you say one thing on a forum doesn't necessary make it true.
I dunno. I know at least one person IRL who refuses to use Steam on principle. It's quite difficult to convince some gamers, particularly the older generation who have been at it for decades, that Steam isn't some kind of corporate plot to stop them from modding and spy on their computers.

They are rather few though. Just because you say one thing on a forum doesn't necessarily make it true.

Personally I went out of my way to buy all of your games on Gamers Gate. The only one I bought on Steam was Warlock, and that's because it wasn't available elsewhere.

Actually even that one, I think I bought on Gamers Gate and activated on Steam.

Not "Der Steam, der!"?

Actually, Steam itself imho sounds just wrong for der/die/das. If I speak about Steam, I usually just say "Steam". Would I use der/die/das, then only for "das Steam Programm/Tool".

Aren't Paradox Dev Studio games able to run without Steam anyway? The only time you need Steam is during purchase and when you want to download updates/patches?

Yep. You could even get the patch from somewhere else and patch it that way...

Actually, Steam itself imho sounds just wrong for der/die/das. If I speak about Steam, I usually just say "Steam". Would I use der/die/das, then only for "das Steam Programm/Tool".

I know. I was trying to be funny... which I should probably not attempt again.

I know. I was trying to be funny... which I should probably not attempt again.

As Germans, we are allowed to be unfunny. I probably would have gotten the joke, if I were not slightly confused about it myself.

And no, there won't be a non-steam version.. We had a huge forum-demand for a non-steam version of CK2, and it had an even less percent of the market than we had expected.

Thats truely a sad news, don't wanna get it over Steam, so no plan to buy EU4 anymore...:sad:

Aww. :( Guess I should stop following the game, this may be the end of Paradox purchases for me.

Aww. :( Guess I should stop following the game, this may be the end of Paradox purchases for me.

well they have stated already that the true % that use other platforms is so low that losing them is more cost effective than providing support for other platform...or that's is what i infer from their comments

If the game is now steam only, does it means that it will have other steam stuff like cloud, workshop (and most importantly) achievements?

If so then I think it's a good move from Paradox to make the game better (overrall) and I really don't understand all the hate towards steam.

For the most part I don't care what service I buy my game from. What I do care about is the service we will be getting from the retailer. I have never had any problems with my GG versions of the games (other then the normal ingame stuff.) But i've seen fairly long lists of steam versions not starting right. And DLC coming out late. If EU4 is going purely steam, will steam start adding the DLC on the right date/time. Will the games be stable? I have no problem using steam IF the steam version is going to be as good as the current GG versions. IF steam will post the DLC on time.

Aren't Paradox Dev Studio games able to run without Steam anyway? The only time you need Steam is during purchase and when you want to download updates/patches?

This is my only real concern with EU IV on steam alone. I learned my lesson with Paradox games and auto-update a long time ago, but accidents happen and Steam settings are all too often forgotten by Steam itself. It pays to keep backups of versions because, with Steam, there is no going back.

In this new Steam only world in which we are soon to live, will we still have the ability to copy EU IV from our steam directory and run it (older versions) independently of Steam or will it be locked into only functioning through steam and, thus, only able to use the latest version of the game?

You think people only buy games because they're cheap? That otherwise they'd pirate them?

Pirating is always going to be cheaper than buying, whether the game is 60$ or 30$, I don't see how this works.

When i see a 20$ price tag, i think : "oh that's fair, enough, might as well purchase it"
When i see a 60$ price tag, i think : "that's too freaking expensive"

I bought ck2 for 18$ and i played 300 hours. Most blockbuster have a life time of 10 to 20 hours and are sold 60$. I think the reason why the former is less pirated than the latter is pretty obvious.

This is my only real concern with EU IV on steam alone. I learned my lesson with Paradox games and auto-update a long time ago, but accidents happen and Steam settings are all too often forgotten by Steam itself. It pays to keep backups of versions because, with Steam, there is no going back.

In this new Steam only world in which we are soon to live, will we still have the ability to copy EU IV from our steam directory and run it (older versions) independently of Steam or will it be locked into only functioning through steam and, thus, only able to use the latest version of the game?
I don't don't see any reason why it won't like CKII is, where all Steam does is download the game.

Aww. Guess I should stop following the game, this may be the end of Paradox purchases for me.
Your loss, I guess you can just stop playing good games....

Are you guys gonna keep the games the way you currently have them so that you don't have to launch them through steam if you're offline or don't feel like opening it up? Because that's a feature that made not having internet for a week bearable a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.