Steam options Pre-order and Season Pass

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And no, there won't be a non-steam version.. We had a huge forum-demand for a non-steam version of CK2, and it had an even less percent of the market than we had expected.

*sigh*
Understandable. Guess it's time to suck it up and live with it.

It is "Das Steam, das!"

Not "Der Steam, der!"?

And no, there won't be a non-steam version.. We had a huge forum-demand for a non-steam version of CK2, and it had an even less percent of the market than we had expected.
That's...quite a shame. Well, I suppose I'll just have to live with it. It's hardly like it's the end of the world, after all.

Not "Der Steam, der!"?
"I'd sooner decline two drinks than one German adjective." Or article, as the case may be.

I'm actually a bit glad that they have decided to release on a single platform - hopefully the patching will be much easier for them now. EU3 patching is downright silly these days, and releasing across multiple avenues (with auto-patching that makes it hard to release beta versions) doesn't help.

I'd also love to see a Steam workshop feature for the game (great way to easily release mods), although removing the modding sections on the forums would be a a huge mistake.

I won't buy steam version. Period. Of course it is not a problem for you (because we're just pathetic 1%).

Ouch. I won't say that I`m not going to purchase EUIV, as I already have a Steam account and a few Steam-only game (I changed my stance from 'never install Steam' to 'avoid Steam whenever possible'), but I`m still a bit disappointed. Guess I just dislike my options to be limited.

Unfortunately EU4 is going to be one of those games were I will pass on them if there is not a non-steam version. I would definitely have bought it if it was non-steam though.
So... Thanks for letting us know I guess, and I am glad at least some people are happy about it but...
Ah well, guess I can stop reading this forum now.

:(

Steam has won then, as more and more games get monopolized by them there won't be alternatives to steam.

Shame. Well I guess I'll have to search for my Steam user name and key, haven't used it since the Civ5 demo.

Does this mean that the possible new expansions (not DLCs) for V2, HoI3, CK2, etc. will only be released on Steam or these titles will stay supported until the next sequel?
Does this mean that from now on Gamersgate will have smaller and smaller role and possibly disappear?
If that happens, is it possible to migrate my games from GG to Steam? Actually I've bought all of my PDS titles and many others as well there, and I don't want to lose them.

:(

Steam has won then, as more and more games get monopolized by them there won't be alternatives to steam.

I don't see it as a bad thing until game prices stay low and we get many price drops as well. And it has the very positive effect that the developers can focus more on the game development rather than on porting patches and DLCs to the numerous game distributors.

Shame. Well I guess I'll have to search for my Steam user name and key, haven't used it since the Civ5 demo.

Does this mean that the possible new expansions (not DLCs) for V2, HoI3, CK2, etc. will only be released on Steam or these titles will stay supported until the next sequel?
Does this mean that from now on Gamersgate will have smaller and smaller role and possibly disappear?
If that happens, is it possible to migrate my games from GG to Steam? Actually I've bought all of my PDS titles and many others as well there, and I don't want to lose them.

Gamersgate has been independent from Paradox for a while now.

I don't see it as a bad thing until game prices stay low and we get many price drops as well. And it has the very positive effect that the developers can focus more on the game development rather than on porting patches and DLCs to the numerous game distributors.

Why would prices stay low unless they need to compete against others?

Stardock's Impulse was bought out just a few months ago, Direct2Drive went last year. Online providers are dropping one by one until in the end only Steam will remain.

Man, oh man. I hate it when I see this much bashing on Steam as a platform from which to release games. Steam has definitely helped the PC side of gaming a hell of a lot and, whether you want to admit or not, the fact that they are by far the best service on which to release games means that it would be a completely stupid move for them to release the game anywhere else, especially when coupled with the platform's popularity. It makes everything a whole lot easier and it promotes Indie games to a great extent, which is undoubtedly the greatest boon for video games in, I daresay, history. I mean, just look at it's positives. If the only reason that you refuse to buy into Steam is because you have some insane, irrational fear that Steam is going to "monopolise" the video game industry then someone needs to give you an almighty slap, for that is a completely baseless fear.

Gamersgate has been independent from Paradox for a while now.

Still I think that most profits come from PDS games (hopefully I'm wrong). If PDS revokes GG support for new PDS titles then GG may lose a lot of profits and without profits there is little chance for a smaller game distributor like GG to survive in the long run.

Man, oh man. I hate it when I see this much bashing on Steam as a platform from which to release games.

This much? The only 'bashing' I can see is DanubianCossak's 'Die steam, die' and Featauril's concern about monopolies, which is not really bashing in my book. No reason to go on a tirade.

This much? The only 'bashing' I can see is DanubianCossack's 'Die steam, Die' and Featauril's concern about monopolies which is not really bashing in my book. No reason to go on a tirade.

I was also referring to the people that say they aren't going to buy the game because it's only being released on Steam. Seems incredibly pathetic to me.

Why would prices stay low unless they need to compete against others?

Stardock's impulse was bought out just a few months ago, Direct2Drive went last year. Online providers are dropping one by one until in the end only Steam will remain.

Because if prices stay high noone with some knowledge of pirating will buy their games. Keeping prices low will also increase demand on Steam and thus increase profits because a lot more people will choose to buy games legally instead of pirating it. And of course there 99% of the game has a major price drop every half year, when you can buy it even cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I support to have a GG version, if there was I would buy EU4 there. But since Johan commented on the matter, it seems that PDS has already made the decision (hopefully the right one) and it is unlikely to change.

I was also referring to the people that say they aren't going to buy the game because it's only being released on Steam. Seems incredibly pathetic to me.

That's not really bashing steam. They're merely saying their mind which they're entitled to. If they won't buy from steam because they have a bad opinion of them then that's their choice. I don't see how having an opinion on something is incredibly pathetic.

Because if prices stay high noone with some knowledge of pirating will buy their games. Keeping prices low will also increase demand on Steam and thus increase profits because a lot more people will choose to buy games legally instead of pirating it. And of course there 99% of the game has a major price drop every half year, when you can buy it even cheaper.

You think people only buy games because they're cheap? That otherwise they'd pirate them?

Pirating is always going to be cheaper than buying, whether the game is 60$ or 30$, I don't see how this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.