• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Co_Karoliina

Developer
Oct 1, 2010
www.colossalorder.fi
Cities in Motion 2 – More vehicles – Developer diary #4

In addition to buses, trams and metros, we selected trolley buses and water buses for the Cities in Motion 2 lineup. Water buses were a part of the original Cities in Motion, but never worked as well as we would have hoped. With the sequel, many problems have been fixed to make them a valuable part of any public transport system. Trolley buses were added in an expansion, but we felt they should be a permanent addition, due to the easy way to expand the bus system with them and how well they easily fit into any bus system.

basicvehicles2-1.jpg

Trolley buses
Trolleys use the same stops and depots as buses, but run on electricity, so they need overhead wires to operate. To ensure rising petrol costs won’t topple your company, you can build trolley lines. Trolley buses are preferred by citizens in central areas because of their quieter operation and high capacity. Still, on long routes with fewer passengers, like ones lines going heading to the outskirts of cities, buses are still unrivalled.

basicvehicles2-2.jpg

Water buses
Water buses are very useful since many maps have large bodies of water. They are a much cheaper way to get over water than building a bridge, and naturally you get more profit. Water buses use depots like all vehicle types, and have piers where they pick up passengers. To tweak your water bus routes, you can use waypoints – a feature that was heavily requested after the original game released.

As I mentioned in the previous post, balance is very important. All vehicle types can use waypoints, so it is easier to get the most out of your vehicles and avoid places where traffic jams occur. You can divide the city into different zones and tweak prices for tickets from one zone to another to make longer lines more easily profitable. Like I earlier said, depots are used to store the vehicles when they are not on a route and to keep them in good condition. What is important is that many lines can use the same depot, so you can keep the costs down by using the same vehicles on many lines. For example, you could have a line that services runs during the daytime and another that only works on runs at night, and use the same vehicles for both.

basicvehicles2-3.jpg

I like the look of trolleybusse.
Now, the last piece of news I'd like to hear, is one about the depot functionality. Do lines need to pass by the depot on every run? (I hope not!)

Looking forward to the game!

Hmm, are the trolley pantographs static? Can they overtake vehicles?

Looks like stops and vehicles don't carry a line number, will that be changed?

These vehicles look really nice! And I absolutely love the feature to divide the city into different zones which allows a more structured ticketing. I also like the bus stop with that advertisement on it ;)

Do lines need to pass by the depot on every run? (I hope not!)

I guess, they do. Those depots allow the bus to stay until the next round so they can adhere to their timetable. If there was no "place" in the line every round where the buses could stay for a while, they would not be able to stick to their timetable. Please correct me, if I am wrong ... Anyways, I don't mind the vehicles going to the depots after each round since you can see them as terminals/interchange points which are common in most cities.

Thanks for all the work you've done to make this game as good as it will be!

That's great, I love trolleybuses too. Good thing I live in the only Canadian city that still has them (Vancouver)!

One more thing: Are there going to be railway stations, with trains running in and out of them? If they function as they do in CiM1, that's fine, although I would much prefer to have, in addition: (1) commuter trains, with the same options of routing as trams and buses; (2) some control over the number of interurban trains on main lines; (3) passengers on trains who will then transfer to city transit once they arrive in the city. The latter can then generate more revenue for the transport company.

What about airports? Again, what you have in CiM1 is fine, but things can still be improved. How about planes carrying the logos of well-known airlines? Airlines could even pay for the privilege of being included in the game... Passengers arriving by air could then (1) use city transit facilities to get into town, (2) take a taxi, (3) be picked up by car.

That's great, I love trolleybuses too. Good thing I live in the only Canadian city that still has them (Vancouver)!

One more thing: Are there going to be railway stations, with trains running in and out of them? If they function as they do in CiM1, that's fine, although I would much prefer to have, in addition: (1) commuter trains, with the same options of routing as trams and buses; (2) some control over the number of interurban trains on main lines; (3) passengers on trains who will then transfer to city transit once they arrive in the city. The latter can then generate more revenue for the transport company.

What about airports? Again, what you have in CiM1 is fine, but things can still be improved. How about planes carrying the logos of well-known airlines? Airlines could even pay for the privilege of being included in the game... Passengers arriving by air could then (1) use city transit facilities to get into town, (2) take a taxi, (3) be picked up by car.

From my experience in playing cities in motion 1, all these things are present, I think.

From my experience in playing cities in motion 1, all these things are present, I think.
I suppose it depends on your definition.

Yes, there were railway stations, but you couldn't run your own trains from them (ie. commuter lines), and the number of passengers generated from them were limited to their "workplace" workers, rather than a potential "commuter" population. They were also rather hard to get into a bus catchment zone since their "centre" was always miles away from the road.

Same with airports, they are there, but you have no control over anything happening with them. Again, their number of passengers seemed to be controlled by the number of people "working" there, rather than seeing a load of passengers coming out of a plane piling onto your transportation.

Thanks for this latest diary, It's great to see the new vehicles and I like the idea of the trolley buses being able to share the same stops as normal buses so you could have trolley buses running on the main route and then have buses running on varients of the same service which sounds good to me since you could have service 1 as a trolley bus serving main roads and have service 1 regular bus running down all the little side roads so each road gets connected to the rest of the network.

You have made me really happy with the water bus or Ferry option being back in the game I would have missed those so thank you so much for putting them into the new game.

I'm really enjoying hearing how the game is progressing.

Thanks for this latest diary, It's great to see the new vehicles and I like the idea of the trolley buses being able to share the same stops as normal buses so you could have trolley buses running on the main route and then have buses running on varients of the same service which sounds good to me since you could have service 1 as a trolley bus serving main roads and have service 1 regular bus running down all the little side roads so each road gets connected to the rest of the network.

You have made me really happy with the water bus or Ferry option being back in the game I would have missed those so thank you so much for putting them into the new game.

I'm really enjoying hearing how the game is progressing.

Totally agree with you Barkydog, it's great that Waterbuses/Ferries are being kept and improved for CIM2. I thought that the Waterbus was the most underutilized mode of transport in the game, due to the water traffic and maps not really being Waterbus friendly. (Helicopters don't count lol)

It would also be awesome to see a few maps having rivers running through or on the Edge of the CBD, so there's an option for our Cims who live along the river or Bayside suburbs to have a choice to catch the ferry into the CBD.

Wow! I really hope that we'll see Budapest among the playable cities this time. I'm really looking forward to the trolleys, they are one of my favourite vehicles and apparently we have a lot of them here in Budapest.