• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not impressed, but then again, my faith in Paradox has been in free fall for a year or more.
Implying that you don't even like CKII? Or any of the DLC? Any special reason then why you'd start appreciating it now?

Ultimogeniture? Tanistry? What's that?

They're succession laws! ;)

(Seriously, though: Ultimogeniture is when the younger child inherits over the older siblings and Tanistry is, well, Tanistry. Irish Chieftain-selecting stuff.)

Tanistry is elective restricted to your dynasty, but distant relatives are more likely to be chosen than your children.

A question regarding Tanistry: How does it track through generations? For instance, if my youngest son dies with a son of his own, is that youngest son now my heir? Secondly: Is it always the youngest son, or if you have, say, three adult sons and an infant son, will the youngest adult son take precedence over the infant?

Not impressed, but then again, my faith in Paradox has been in free fall for a year or more.

I know man I feel for you, Johan promised the cat kicking dlc a year ago and look nothing yet, come on paradox get you sh*t together!!!

I dont know.. I rather enjoy the ruler designer. Emperor Daffy IV LooneyTunes of Arabia is doing quite well.

Yup. I got some interesting scenarios out of it on the serious note too: inserting rulers of different culture/religion at various turning points to see how it all turns out. But, for all intents & purposes, its kind of a rip-off for all it does.

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the create a higher title when in elective succession forces gavelkind succession law in the new higher title bug(?) survived another patch. I only used ctrl+f, though, so I'll test in game.

Yay, does this mean that it's not restricted to the designated Venice, Genoa, Gotland and other ones which I can't remember atm?

Yeah, but you (or the AI) will have to create the new Republics by giving a duchy of king-tier title to a mayor or lord mayor first. The five "'major" playable republics - Venice, Genoa, Pisa, Gotland, and the Hansa - will be available either at game start or special event (Hansa), but any other maritime republic will have to be created.