Jume 11, 1940 normal/normal and AI germany has not taken out AI Poland

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

froglegs

Colonel
4 Badges
Mar 10, 2005
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
I've played HOI2 since April 2005 and I can't recall ever seeing this issue before -- AI Germany not taking out AI Poland in 9+ months at all normal settings.

I am playing as USA, war in Europe started in Sept 1939 and everything seemed normal until in June 1940 I looked at the map in Europe.

Other than that game seemed normal.

I saved a screen shot but can't figure out how to place it here. I hit ctrl V and nothing happens after a ctrl C .

You need to upload the file to a file server and then post the link here.

Probably this is a 1:100 chance of Poland holding out. If they stuff enough troops into Warsaw the German AI may be reluctant to attack.

I will do a game restart because I sense a bad install.

I know for certain my 108 AOD game is good because I use it for as a starting point for every mod and always keep a clean copy on an external harddrive just to load a new game mod.

In my game Denmark ahd been taken by Germany and half of Norway but no dow against Belgium/Netherlands probably since Poland survived.

Nothing looked strange in the game and the 4 letter code matched. I will download the mod again and start all over though.

I need a bit of direction here.

I have again downloaded the latest CORE as of 9 Jan 2013 and finally got the b&w graphics pack from rapidshare in under 2 minutes download time. The other site was saying 2 hours to go after 2 minutes so I aborted the operation.

Do I load the CORE first and click graphics like I did the last time when I gat a likely bad install

OR click graphics pack first, then install CORE

OR some other combination?

CORE first, then graphics pack. Both installer should just be pointed to the AoD folder, not to any subfolder therein.

To get a clean AoD version I suggest to do a reinstall of this, update to 1.07 and then apply 1.08. I typically do this in a virtual machine, then zip/rar this folder and move it out of the VM.

For what it's worth, I'm also seeing exactly what froglegs described. Poland finally fell in June '40, Germany took two months to take out Denmark, they're still a couple provinces short of Narvik in Norway, and haven't touched the Low Countries or France.

Other probably unrelated quirks - no Winter War, and the Soviets puppeted the Baltics rather than annexing them.

Japan has made very little progress in China compared to regular AoD games. I don't know all that much about that part of the war though so if non-CORE Japan normally conquers way too much land in China it's entirely possible that CORE Japan is doing fine.

If you guys need a save game, let me know.

Denniss -- since your are a CORE developer, how exactly does one install CORE so that it may be played multiplayer?

It is the only HOI2 mod ever that I can't get to work multiplayer.

I don't give a rats rear if I have to copy over a vanilla game directory to get it to work. I do that all the time anyway. The moddir system may avoid that but the downside is multiplayer don't work.

By the way, in my game where Germany did not take out Poland, I had the historic AI choices set to on.

Last edited:
MR-pact outcome in your case? Sounds ahistorical.

M-R had the historical outcome. And may have been the only reason Germany finally managed to beat Poland - the Poles lost half their country by event to the USSR in late '39. Who knows how long they'd have held out if they'd had more than six provinces to work with at that point. :)

I'm guessing it was a matter of the random number generator cursing the Germans. On a second attempt starting at my 1-Sept-39 save (*so* glad I saved when war broke out) Germany has performed with close to historical effectiveness.

I went to the site directed and it says nothing except that nobody can get CORE to work multiplayer and nobody else can tell how to do it.

I NEVER put games under program files. The rest of your instruction looks like arm waving to me. "Arm waving" is American slang for "I don't really know for sure, but I think that maybe it ought to work anyhow".

If you don't know exactly what to do to get multiplayer to work, jsut say so -- no problem. I mean no offense -- really! I don't know everything either.

At this stage of AOD, the hard core people are revisiting the game doing multiplayer. We all know the AI limitations and only through multiplayer does the game become a new adventure.

It should work this way, copying the Core files into the main AoD folder and adjusting the CORE event register to remove the mod-CORE2 subfolder from the file links. If both player have the same modifications and the same checksum. The Core scenario should now become available.