• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
and you now intend to snip apart his supply lines?

He probably intends to capture the fort before bradock comes and then spank him when he actually arives. Or something to that effect.

EDIT: Or rather just block the fort, beat brits when they come to reinforce and then storm it the next turn. Destory it the next and then fall back for winter.

Last edited:
You will see!

Just to explain how we will do the AAR. Narwal is making monthly entry during the wartime periods while i'm making season entry, focussing on important event. So I have two of them ready, I just wait for Narwal to finish the year, so I don,t give away punches.

Résistance en Acadie

Montréal, Avril 1755

Gaspard de Chaussegros de Léry was worried when he was summoned by the Gouverneur Général Vaudreuil. Lieutenant and Ingénieur du Roi, being called upon by the highest autority could only mean bad thing. Was it for one of his little investments in the fur trade? Entering the office of the Marquis de Vaudreuil, he saw his excellency holding a letter. "Ah, monsieur de Léry! I'm relieved to see you Monsieur. This is a letter from monsieur de Boishébert, from Fort Beauséjour. Look at it! "Monsieur le gouverneur, we have discovered that the Goddams (1) are planning to cleanse all of Acadia from frenchmen. They will seize all their property and send away in answer to their demand of staying neutral in this war. Their forces are concentrating at Halifax and my few irregulars and indians allies will not be sufficient to hold them. Par DIEU! Send me reiforcement!"

De Léry was stunned. The marquis continued: "This is despicable. It against all the rules of war. It's against honor and nobility! Monsieur de Léry. I'm promoting you to the rank of Capitaine du Roi. You are to take a ship to Fort Beauséjour and take command there of the forces you will find. A regular battalion will be sent from the Louisbourg garrison to serve as the core of your little force. Between them and the local militias, along with Boishébert's raiders, you will cover the evacuation of the civilians in all our part of Acadia and, if you can, help as much of our fellow brother in english Acadia as possible. Bonne chance.

Thus began the first glorious event in this war in America. During all of the spring and summer of 1755, the capitaine de Léry would organise a well executed and massive civilian evacuation, sending thousands of acadians in safety near Montréal and Québec and stopping in his track the english's plans. Two weaks after his arrival, his makeshift command of two colonial infantry, 4 regulars and 6 militias compagnie ambushed the english expedition that had leaved Halifax for this dishonorable mission of theirs.

May 15, at dawn, the 12 Red Coats compagnies under colonel Robert Monkton, with 15 canons, were marching toward the village of Grand Pré, to begin there the deportation of the Acadians. It will be known afterward that they were convinced to find little or no opposition in their mission, knowing that Boishebert irregulars and indians were busy trying to protect Saint Jean from a colonial raiding force sent as a diversion, a long way in the south. His column of trained regular was powerful enough to beat any militia the cursed french could muster.

RGriffingCrossing_zps646bc14a.jpg

Micmac scout spotting the offensive

Unknown to them, Micmac scouts spotted them 5 day earlier while they were crossing Petitcodiac river. Léry was able to regroup his militia force in time near the village, wainting desesperatly for his regular and colonial force to arrive. He had his militia digging a trench in front of the evacuated village and ordered his men to hold their fire. "Tenez-bon mes enfants et attendez mon ordre: leur sang coulera comme du vin! Hold your fire my children and wait for my order: their blood will flow like wine!" His plan was to hold the english at bay until his regular could counter attack. Monkton's plan was pretty much simpler. Deploy his redcoats, decimate the militia with canon fire and then overwhelm them. After all, his 1700 regulars were opposed only by 1200 acadians militias. He ordered his force to attack after 20 minutes of artillery preparation. This would later be considered as his biggest mistake in the war as it warned the french reinforcement and allowed them to arrive in time.

bunker_hill1_zps15d0121b.jpg

Acadian militia taunting the redcoats

The redcoats advanced in perfect formation, unleashing two volleys before the french returned fire. The volley was devastating, completly disorganising the english lines and forcing them to withdraw to regroup. But, as the canon were starting to fire again, the french reinforcement arrived on the field and beginned to organise in the wood on the right of the english troops, who were still unaware of their presence. The redcoats started another attack, 1500 soldiers walking straight for the weakened militia line, standart floating around and drums beating.

8-ClosingIn2_zps40263cf5.jpg
[/IMG]
Redcoats nearly succeded in breaching the militia's fortification in their second attack

As the militia were starting to lack of ammunition and losing a fearful number of their own to the disciplined english volleys and incapable of withstanding a bayonett assault, the reinforcement launched their attack. They marched out of the forest in perfect lines, the colonial marines serving as light infantry in front of the main assault of the battalion of the Royal Marine de Louisbourg. 900 french soldier appearing on their flank, musket blazing and music in front, broke the spirit of the english soldiers. Monkton tried to use his reserve to gain time to turn his force to face the new threat, but the french were too fast.

BattleSteFoy_zps8f144add.gif

The final charge of the Royal Marines

Charging directly on the wavering redcoats, the french never made contact, the redcoats running away. The rearguard holded long enough to sabotage the 3 canons they weren't able to bring with them, leaving only a part of their supplies as spoils for the Acadians. Unwilling to risk his few regular against a more numerous foe still able to regroup and fight back, Capitaine de Léry stopped the pursuit and regrouped his force, tending to the wounded and giving the dead all the proper rituals. 512 french soldier and militia had given their live pour le Roi. The english losses were less than 300 men, with an unknown number lost during their retreat, later estimated at 200, killed by Micmacs scouts or dying of their wounds. De Léry and his men were impatient of pursuing the english but they needed to know what happened at St-Jean with Boishébert. They marched south, forcing the american colonial force to flee and engage in a long wooden retreat. Reinforced by the indians and acadian irregulars protecting Saint Jean, De Léry then marched 2000 of his men toward the forward base of the english in Acadia, Fort Lawrence, hoping he would be able to surprise and surround the regrouping army of Monkton. On the way, they found many empty villages, order of deportation nailed on the doors. But when his troops arrived, 2 weeks later, only the normal garrison of the fort was present, supervising the deportation of nearby acadian communities. De Léry didn't needed to give the order, his troops charged and overwhelmed the fort with sheer Furia Francese, avenging their brothers. Half the english garrison perished while giving a valiant fight, until the other half surrendered and were sent to Québec as POW.

john-jenkins-french-indian-wars-english-artillery_zps9b57a4e5.jpg

British forces tried to slow down the attack with the fort cannons, but not to avail.

De Léry scouts pushed as far as Halifax, the great english fortress and naval base. The news were frightening: massive redcoats reinforcement were present, with a significant presence of Royal Navy ships. They had enought troops to butcher his small force and land troop in his back again. Considering his mission of gaining enought time to evacuate as many acadian families as accomplished, he prepared the evacuation. He borded small transport ship sent from Louisbourg, going back to the fortress with the Royal Marine battalion and a thousand militia. He sent Boishebert back to Québec and the Indian to their village for the approching winter while volonteers were sent back to man Fort Beauséjour and try to gain a bit more time (2). Louisbourg garrison received de Léry's men with all the honor of war, for their expedition and his glorious result were know all across New France. The bells of the church were ringing in all of New France villages while the priest were announcing in chair the victories and evacuation of Acadia. But this would soon be overshadowed by bigger event, far in the south. Letters from Fort Duquesne finally arrived and New France was holding his breath.

1) Goddams. Nickname given to the english by the french due to their habit of swearing by God damnit or Goddamn!
2) I evacuated all my permanent troops and the initial mobile militia, hoping it would not disband, to Louisbourg the same turn Narwal landed troops near St Jean, trying to destroy my small force. He besieged the fixed garrison for much of autumn and winter.

HISTORIAN'S CORNER: La Nouvelle France et l'Acadie: birth of French America

575_thumnail_zps8c1415b5.jpg

Jacques Cartier discovering New-France

The first colonisation attempt in America by France go back to 1534, when Jacques Cartier discovered what would become Canada and founded a small colony at Québec. After 3 hard winter, the colony was abandoned as France descended into the chaos of the Reformation and the wars of religion. It would need nearly 80 years before Henri IV ended the civil war and restored peace in his kingdom. He started back the colonisation efforts, charging Samuel de Champlain and Pierre Dugua de Mons of establishing colonies in North America. Dugua de Mons arrived in Acadie in 1604, founding small colonies before creating Port Royal, french Acadia capital until his capture by the british, in 1605. Champlain founded Québec as the capital of the french colonies in America in 1604. The colonist, especially in Acadia, lived much of the time with the amerindians, forging long lasting friendship with the various tribes. There lies the great success of the french model of colonisation in this era. The french were dependant on the indians while theyr were dependant on the french to protect them and arm them against the agressive dutch and british colonists. For many years, New France was considered as a trading colony, so no real effort of mass immigration was done by France, who rented the colony to private compagnies, like the Compagnie des Cents-Associés. It would wait until the Sun King, Louis XIV for New France to become a royal colony and begin to grow. Under the leadership of powerful gouvernors and efficients "intendants" like Frontenac or Jean Talon, the colony tried to compete with the powerful and numerous 13 colonies. The numerous colonial wars would let many scars and give birth to a militarised society. That's why New France arrived to hold the british at bay until 1760. In one famous invasion in 1690, the british besieged Québec. The governor, the Marquis Louis de Buade de Frontenac, answered to the british demands of surrender with this infamous phrase: "Qu'il sache que je n'ai point de réponse à lui faire que par la bouche de mes canons et à coups de fusils. Let him (the general)know that I don't have any answer to give him excepted with the mouth of my canons and my muskets.".

Frontenac_receiving_the_envoy_of_Sir_William_Phipps_demanding_the_surrender_of_Quebec_1690_zps3da97aeb.jpg

Par la bouche de mes canons

After the Spanish War of succession and the treaty of Utrech in 1713, Acadia was annexed to the british crown. France finally realised the value of New France and the menace of having so few people to defend his colonies. It began to fortify the colony, expanding his border from Louisiana to Canada, building forts and the fortresses of Québec, Nouvelle Orléans and Louisbourg. Immigration increased, the population reaching 100 000 french settlers in 1755, not counting tens of thousands of indians living in relative harmony with the french and trading with them, when not busy fighting together the british. French settlers and indians were increasingly closer, giving birth to great number of Metis. It is said that the Canadiens were then more indians than french. The only indians who continued to be a threat to New France was the powerful Iroquois confederation. They would ultimatly choose the english side (excepting the Hurons) but many iroquois would fight on the two sides during the war. Acadia was now an english possession, centered around a rapidly growing Halifax. The french still controled a small part of it in modern day New Brunswick and continued to expand it, with the goal of gaining back the rest of Acadia one day.

amhis_french_indian_map_zps394494f9.gif

Last edited:
that was a good win in the north - I'd guess that Narwhal expected a pretty straightforward march to the forts and a siege he could maintain into winter.

like the background stuff you are providing

I had a good luck too. But you are right, nobody ever expect to find resistance in Acadia. Thank you for the compliment, hope you are not alone

July - September 1755 : The English colossus wakes up in rage

NewTurn-1.jpg

1. Acadia - a sad retreat

After the defeat in retreat, my force in Acadia is retreating to Halifax. This is a sad day :

Turn4biddingfortime_zps536e6736.jpg

I need a new strategy to clean this affront. Here is it :

Turn6Strategy_zps9afb1060.jpg

My troops will move to Annapolis, to take a transport and land between Saint Jean and Grandpré. Saint-Jean is almost defenseless, and will fall easily. Then, I will go for Grandpré. Without ports, the French reinforcements that landed will have no exit and will be destroyed.

The risk is that, of course, Halifax will be without significant defense. I trust the garrison and the powerful naval guns they have will be sufficient !

My troops move toward Annapolis's port in August. Meanwhile, the French moves toward Halifax :

Turn7AcadianGambit_zpsbfd3a714.jpg

The garrison of Saint Lawrence is destroyed.

Turn7Acadians_zps9e67eb81.jpg

Are the French really going to seize Acadia, against all odds ?

2. The destruction of Braddock's column

The Braddock expedition, that started too well, rapidly collapsed into quagmire :

First, my scout were intercepted - and destroyed :

Turn4Firstdefeat_zpsc509f1a2.jpg

Two elements of irregulars if a very sad loss, as they are extremely rare, and very useful for the English.

Braddock's column is blind, but it carries on its march toward the target. Finally, it joins up with the garrison. The troops rejoice in the fort : now it is time to march on Duquesne. But when a soldier wants to open the gates again, a bullt flies above his head ...

Turn5TRAPPED_zps44f033b4.jpg

Entrapped ! The French column of coureurs and of Indians arrived in the same turn as I did, but later ; and since I ordered Braddock to enter the fort to recover cohesion, I am now done like a rat !

This force is doomed, but I must save what I can.

I have 3 officers, including Washington (one of the best, as he can train troops). I have 4 units of militia (that will be demobilized at the end of the year), 2 units of garrison (doomed), 1 unit of supply (not sure about what I can do), and the most important, 2 units of regulars. I am going to try to save those (and Washington).

They are going to take a sneaky posture, and get out of the trap. I am confident that given we are in the wilderness, it is possible, even though the Indians have an high detect. If the French keep a defensive posture, they might also avoid combat !

Turn5sneakyevac_zps577f8c05.jpg

Of those 2 units, only one will ultimaly makes it to English lines...

Turn6Rout_zps2fb537ff.jpg

As you can see, the French were in offensive posture. While the whole forces in the area are in the battle report, only one unit was spot... and obliterated (july 1755).

In August, the French are confident enough to assault my position. Of the 2 thousands English soldiers, none will escape the trap.

Here is the first battle :

Turn7TheAssault_zps321c67ab.jpg

The second battle was nothing more than a mop-up. I suppose the supplies were captured.

Fort Cumberland has fallen. The strongpoint is burned to the ground. Braddock has been defeated decisively.

Turn7Wasteland_zpseb4dce92.jpg

The assault allowed the French to gain time. Soon, more English forts, closer to my heartland, would be under attack...

3. The War spreads on the Hudson

Not much yet on the Hudson, but my forces activated in July :

In Albany :

- The brilliant Sir William Johnson and the not-really-useful Lyman

Turn5Albany2_zps58b8b0b9.jpg

- Sir William Shirley, highest officer in the area, and the unnoticeable Jack Mercer.

Turn5Albany_zpscd657dab.jpg

In New York :

- The hyper-active Oliver Delancy

Turn5NY_zpse2c6ea5c.jpg

My first objective is to build a Fort for the Mohicans (allowed by events), which by the same occasion will allow me to close the gap between Albany and the Champlain :

Turn5Hudson_zps28e2c189.jpg

Sir William Johnson, my best officer in the area, will lead the force.

Once the objective in my hands - I can get ambitious and surprising :

Turn7SUrprise_zpsec2a9997.jpg

Full story : I don't want to go in that area West of the Mohicans, because then a Fort will be automatically built and I don't feel I can protect it for now (OK, a bit gamey, but we started to set the home-rules a bit later in-game :). I cannot attack the French either, as the terrain is very good for the sort of troops they have. Thus, I am going to attempt a move on the East of the Champlain to surprise my opponent. In the unlikely case where the weather stays good, I could actually reach the French port North of the Champlain. At worse, all the units doing that move are militias, expected to go home at the end of the year, so...

Yes, that was the gamey screen of the day.

Last edited:
Well, Braddock's campaign certainly could have gone better. :laugh:

at least you got to Cumberland unmolested, so that should secure that critical fort, suspect you maybe a wee bit optimistic over Duquesne though?

A tad optimistic, yes :)

I see one of Narwhal's ships is called the 'Friendship'. I look forward to many displays of that fine amity between English and French in this game. ;)

Not a great start with that bloody battle, Narwhal, but perhaps your usual aggression will pay off better in the Cumberland/Duquesne area? General_Hoth doesn't seem to think so, but we'll see...

Turns out it did not. But it is only an entrée en matière so far...

He probably intends to capture the fort before bradock comes and then spank him when he actually arives. Or something to that effect.

EDIT: Or rather just block the fort, beat brits when they come to reinforce and then storm it the next turn. Destory it the next and then fall back for winter.

Actually - he did even worse !

Well, Braddock's campaign certainly could have gone better. :laugh:
Only worse I can imagine : my unit not escaping, and me deciding to also commit the guns - that got captured.

ouch, one thing to fail to take Duquesne, another to have such a bad experience at Cumberland - at least you got most of the things of value out. Guess that on the Atlantic Coast you'll be ok. Can't see Halifax falling ... can it? ;) and if not, you should have the leisure to take all the main ports

This force is doomed, but I must save what I can.

I have 3 officers, including Washington (one of the best, as he can train troops). I have 4 units of militia (that will be demobilized at the end of the year), 2 units of garrison (doomed), 1 unit of supply (not sure about what I can do), and the most important, 2 units of regulars. I am going to try to save those (and Washington).

They are going to take a sneaky posture, and get out of the trap. I am confident that given we are in the wilderness, it is possible, even though the Indians have an high detect. If the French keep a defensive posture, they might also avoid combat !

Huh, it was real military disaster at Ft. Cumberland. I wonder was there any other way to save more of your army at Cumberland? What do you think:

1.) How many months your troops inside Ft. Cumberland were able to endure with given supply stock inside fort? Could they manage to reach November (3-4 turns)?

2.) If not, maybe it was better to sacrifice (or to try to sneak beside enemy lines) two militia units instead regulars. With less (weak) units inside fort your supply stock would last longer, defence would be stronger and maybe you was able to manage to hold untill winter when most of Indians were going back to their villages.

3.) If you think even that was not viable option, maybe you had to attack him in full force, with all of your units. You would probably losse battle but survivors would be able to retreat eastward. They wouldn't be trapped inside fort without possible route of retreat which proved to be deadly.

Well, General_Hoth, you've started off on a very good note. Victory in Acadia, the destruction of Fort Cumberland... This round clearly went to you. Of course, there are still plenty of rounds to follow and I've always been impressed with Narwhal's ability to quickly react to changes in the field. Should continue to be interesting. :)

I too find the background information very interesting. I don't know an awful lot about the colonial history of North America, but Canada/New France is definitely a weakness in my knowledge, so it's good to learn things from the French perspective.

Reactions:
Huh, it was real military disaster at Ft. Cumberland. I wonder was there any other way to save more of your army at Cumberland? What do you think:

1.) How many months your troops inside Ft. Cumberland were able to endure with given supply stock inside fort? Could they manage to reach November (3-4 turns)?

That's what I hopedfor, and a reason why I evacuated the regular, but General_Hoth prefered to assault, so it made the point moot.

2.) If not, maybe it was better to sacrifice (or to try to sneak beside enemy lines) two militia units instead regulars. With less (weak) units inside fort your supply stock would last longer, defence would be stronger and maybe you was able to manage to hold untill winter when most of Indians were going back to their villages.
Maybe with regulars the assault would have failed, but really my priority was to save the regulars, as the militias dissolve in December, so no big deal.

3.) If you think even that was not viable option, maybe you had to attack him in full force, with all of your units. You would probably losse battle but survivors would be able to retreat eastward. They wouldn't be trapped inside fort without possible route of retreat which proved to be deadly.
I was in numeric inferiority in a wild terrain with regulars vs irregulars, attack vs defense, and against much better commanders. I would not have break through and would have taken very significant losses, making an assault much easier (I did not thought he would assault).

Maybe with regulars the assault would have failed, but really my priority was to save the regulars, as the militias dissolve in December, so no big deal.

It doesnt if you keep it in strategic places or if you train them.

One question to General_Hoth - why did you keep Contrecour in command of your forces near Duqesne?? The lower ranked ones are much much better and you don't rly need the CP.

Also Vive la France!!

(and don't capture albany too soon)

It doesnt if you keep it in strategic places or if you train them.

One question to General_Hoth - why did you keep Contrecour in command of your forces near Duqesne?? The lower ranked ones are much much better and you don't rly need the CP.

Also Vive la France!!

(and don't capture albany too soon)

For a simple reason. Even if he is not really good, he was still better than Braddock and I realy needed every possible men to be able to win a complete victory in assault situation. I judged the Contrecoeur unit was more important that to have a better commander. And, as I try to play with some roleplay, Contrecoeur was a good friend of Gouverneur Vaudreuil and if a complete effort like the one I did had been done, he would probably have been the commander.

Vive la France indeed...but I don't think Albany is in immediate danger. I'm working on my update on the champlain front, you will see why.

Well, General_Hoth, you've started off on a very good note. Victory in Acadia, the destruction of Fort Cumberland... This round clearly went to you. Of course, there are still plenty of rounds to follow and I've always been impressed with Narwhal's ability to quickly react to changes in the field. Should continue to be interesting. :)

I too find the background information very interesting. I don't know an awful lot about the colonial history of North America, but Canada/New France is definitely a weakness in my knowledge, so it's good to learn things from the French perspective.

Merci!

For a simple reason. Even if he is not really good, he was still better than Braddock and I realy needed every possible men to be able to win a complete victory in assault situation. I judged the Contrecoeur unit was more important that to have a better commander. And, as I try to play with some roleplay, Contrecoeur was a good friend of Gouverneur Vaudreuil and if a complete effort like the one I did had been done, he would probably have been the commander.

Vive la France indeed...but I don't think Albany is in immediate danger. I'm working on my update on the champlain front, you will see why.

Just talking from a little experience - it's not rly worth it. Brits get massive reinforcements when albany falls.

Braddock's disaster: Ohio 1755

Braddock's disaster: Ohio, La Belle Rivière, 1755

All around the cities and village of Nouvelle-France, bells were ringing and feast were organised. Cheering crowd gathered to greet any soldiers who were marching in the streets. The news were that good! The happiest man was probably the governor, the Marquis de Vaudreuil. He had received conflicting reports during all summer before receiving a full report from what would become known as "Braddock's disaster". It all began with the news of massive concentration of troops directed toward Fort Duquesne. General Edward Braddock, known as the Bulldog, assembled a large army, complete with elite redcoats, trained colonial regulars, rangers and enough canons and supplies to besiege even Québec or Louisbourg. Knowing the strategic importance of Fort Duquesne, he was planning to take it from France and sever the link between Louisiana and Canada and force many indians tribes into submission. This threat had caused to Vaudreuil many sleepless night during the spring and summer. Listening to the cheers in the streets, he sat at his desk, reading again the reports. It all began in april, when the massive army of Braddock started to march toward Fort Cumberland, their last post before Duquesne...
paramountpress_2114_7309357_zps20e9b132.jpg

Forward elements of the Braddock's expedition

Having received full power from Vaudreuil, the french forces started to gather their indian allies, while irregulars were rushing toward Duquesne from Fort Niagara. Knowing that there could be no victory in an open siege, commander Claude Pécaudy de Contrecoeur ordered his advance force to advance toward Fort Cumberland and ambush any forces they found isolated, until the main force was ready or Braddock's expedition arrived. June 5th saw the first blood spilled. Commander de Contrecoeur's raider found an inexplicably vulnerable ranger force heading toward Cumberland. This force was the answer the british colonials devised to block french and indians continued success on the frontiers. They were about to learn a lesson or two in irregular warfare. As they were camping before their last day of march, french and indians launched a surprise attack.
a_009_zps2503b08b.jpg

Colonial raiders composed of the best men of the Milices Canadiennes.

Nearly 3000 men shouted their warcries while charging the Ranger's camp, butchering them to the last men, while losing only 30 mens.
juin1755_zpsd7fd32c2.jpg

American rangers getting butchered

Braddock soon learned of this defeat and reacted swiftly, sending his canons back to safety and doubling the pace of his columns, fearing that the French would burn Fort Cumberland before he could use it as the base of his operation against Fort Duquesne. He was still convinced that his well drilled army would overcome any opposition.

ACIII-BraddockExpedition_20_zps6eec48b0.png

Braddock with his aide-de-camp, the promising Georges Washington. His first taste of french warfare forced him to surrender, the second one, only to flee while watching is army being butchered. Next time, maybe he will just loose a battle?

But it was exactly what the French wanted him to do. Contrecoeur fell back, letting the british relieve the besieged, and somewhat panicked, garrison of Fort Cumberland. He met with the numerous reinforcement that had just arrived at Duquesne and came back, with a 3500 strong force of indians and canadians raiders. He besieged Fort Cumberland, effectivly trapping Braddock inside the wooden wall of the small fort and the nearby entrenchement his force digged. For nearly a month, Contrecoeur and his men litteraly dissected Braddock's force, one patrol at a time, skirmishing permanently with the isolated redcoats.

Braddock was getting desesperate. He ordered a discrete breakout operation, aiming to evacuate the english regular and head back toward his launching base, to get some reinforcement and supplies before counterattacking to relieve the colonials. July the first, he launched his operation. Under the cover of darkness, his forces began to move out of the fort, groups of volonteers silently attacking the sentinels around the fort. But just as the regulars were reaching the cover of the woods, warrior from the Abenakis tribe spotted them and raised the alarm.

charge-of-the-60th-royal-americans-regiment-at-bushy-run-randy-steele_zps2db02a2a.jpg

Redcoats trying to break the "siege" of Fort Cumberland

One, two, ten muskets then opened fire, arrows began to fall on the massed redcoats as the french and indians realised what was happening. Braddock and Washington ordered their men to charge in the woods, wishing to overcome any defender and break the encirclement. For a moment, it seemed they would succeed, as they killed many indians defenders. As Braddock looked at Washington with a triumphant smile, the french irregulars began to deploy, shooting without pause on the bright target of the redcoats in a morning dawn. The vanguard compagny around Braddock was entirely destroyed in a matter of minutes. Washington and Braddock took command of the two following compagnies and tried to disperse the french, only to find that their glorious charge in the wood had reached empty positions. Indian warcries then erupted, as hundreds of warriors charged on the redcoats, butchering two entire compagnies. General Braddock rallied the redcoats around him and pushed back the native's attack. But as the casualities mounted, he was forced to fall back to the Fort, leaving his wounded behind him. On his left flank, Washington's attack met with success. He overwhelmed the french and indians trying to hold him and breaked throught, running toward the 13 colonies with less than 400 exhausted redcoats. The remnants of the expedition retreated in disorder inside Fort Cumberland, having lost 319 men. The french and indians suffered only 87 casualities, mainly during the opening attack of Braddock volonteers.
juillet55_zpsfd280bfe.jpg

Braddock was now in an even more dangerous position. Without his best troops, he had to defend the fort with soldier he despised: colonial infantry and militias. 2400 men against more than 5000. Using the fort canons to the best effect and keeping the french occupied with small raids, Braddock kept the fight on for a whole month. Holding the fort itself and the trench lines around it, he should never had had the possibility of doing that before a french army. But Contrecoeur's forces were all irregular, with no siege material or even siege training. The native insisted on launching quick attack, retreating when met with a stiff resistance. Without siegework, artillery, approach trench or even an engineer in his whole force, Contrecoeur was forced to wait for hunger to make the siege for him. But at the end of the month, the situation worsened: his allies were getting restless, wanting to go back to their village or at least to make some raid deeper in english territory. He had no choice, he planned an all-out assault to end all this.

At dawn, August 1st, a thousand indians silently advanced toward the northern trenches. They surprised the foward post and captured many soldier until one sounded the alarm. The fort erupted of fire, canons and muskets firing on the massed indians. They started to fall back but Contrecoeur sended 500 hundred more attacking the west side. Then, a thousand more attacking southside. Then the french attacked the west side. It continued all day, casualities mounting rapidly in the bloodiest battle yet seen in the war. At the end of the day, Braddock sounded the retreat from the outer defenses. He had made the french and indians pay dearly for his trenches, but they were now bleeding him dry in close combat. The day had costed him half the garrison: 1250 men lost, a majority of them scalped after furious hand to hand fight with frenzied indians that fought to send them away from their lands. The french has lost around a thousand of their own, but they now outnumbered him by 4 time, at least. Munition were getting low and so was morale. The french commander then sent a letter to the general, with a surrender proposition that could not be refused: "Monsieur le Général, if you haven't surrended by tomorrow morning, I will lift the siege with my french forces and leave you to the indians. The same indians you vowed to destroy. Bien à vous, Claude Pécaudy, Sieur de Contrecoeur, Capitaine du Roy". Braddock could already feel the cold of the blade cutting his scalp. His soldiers looked mutinious when they heard of the offer. He didn't have any choice. In the morning, he came to parley with the french under a white flag. He saw the Sieur de Contrecoeur coming to him, followed by the chiefs of the numerous tribes who fought with him: Mingo, Delaware, Shawnee, Miami, Fox, Pottawatomi, Illinois, Nippising, Objibas and even some Iroquois or tribes the english didn't even knew they existed. French officers in uniform and Canadiens officers in natives clothes closed the march. He was forced to sign a harsh capitulation

ParcheminEacutemile_versionpetite_zps803af24b.png

As Braddock was being sent to Fort Duquesne, Fort Cumberland was the burned to the ground. Claude Pécaudy de Contrecoeur would then use the rest of the summer to consolidate his victory. He sent most of his men under his second in command, Capitaine Daniel Liénard, Sieur de Beaujeu, toward Fort Allen, hoping to catch the few regular who escaped the siege while Contrecoeur himself consolidated Fort Duquesne's defenses with the spoils of Fort Cumberland. (I captured a supply wagon). De Beaujeu arrived with his troops september 15th. He relentlessy assaulted the fortification, killing much of the garrison until the survivors mutined and forced their commander to surrender. Beaujeu was surprised to learn that the disciplined soldier who had killed more than 200 of his men were in fact colonial militiamen and that the able and cunning commander who matched his assault was an old scottish highlander retired officer. After 3 days, the survivors refused to continue to fight and sent a surrender offer to Beaujeu, who accepted it. The term were lenient: the colonials could go home without weapons and their officers would be exchanged for future french prisonners. With Fort Allen burned, 640 more ennemies defeated, Fort Duquesne was now out of the reach of any regular force. The victory was complete. Just in time to go back for the harvest.

v1_x2_s01_ss15_01_zps372301e1.jpg

French soldiers and natives looting Fort Allen before burning it.

Historian's Corner: la Bataille de Monongahéla: Braddock's defeat.

This battle is an excellent illustration of Canadien's warfare: french and colonial forces fighting indian style. As i wrote in another entry, the Nouvelle-France was a very militarised society. Nearly each men, and a good part of the women too, by the way, were trained to use muskets and knew the hardness of the frontier's life. The coureurs des bois lifestyle gave to Nouvelle-France an ample number of men able to form the irregular forces and raiding force that gave Nouvelle-France his best weapon. The colonial regular forces, the Compagnie Franche de la Marine were even more dangerous: commanded by canadien's officers, able to fight as regulars or the indian way, they gave the english many hard defeats.

Learning about Braddock's advance too late to summun many indians allies (like I did in the game), De Beaujeu, the french commander, knew he would not be able to sustain a siege against Braddock's canons. He decided to go out of the fort and fight Braddock in the wilderness. The battle was a textbook battle: the regular blocked the front of Braddock's expedition while Canadien and Natives were skirmishing all around the collumn. The redcoat's volley fire were ineffective, the canon fire even more so while the massed groups of english were perfect target for the french and indians snipers. The redcoats began to fall back, disorganising their reinforcement as they went, making the unable to react to the mounting ennemy pressure. Small units, initiative and surprise were the base of the "petite guerre" way of war and it worked. Braddock's force were trashed, the general killed, Washington barely escaped with his life. The french and indian lost less than a hundred men. Remember this way of war, you will see it collide with Montcalm's idea when he finally arrive in America, with my reinforcement!

This first major engagement of the french and indian war is very well known, serving as background in the last Assassin's Creed, inspiring a large part of the battles in "The last of the Mohicans"...and having MANY videos on it on you tube. I can only recommend this one to you, it is the best description I ever read or watched. http://www.videopediaworld.com/video/59490/Québec-History-9--Battle-of-the-Monongahela

Last edited: