+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV: The Special Christmas Bonus Development Diary

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Europa Universalis IV: The Special Christmas Bonus Development Diary

Most of the team is now off for the holidays, and the final remaining of us leaves today for up to two weeks of relaxations with friends and family.

The Europa Universalis IV team have worked very hard this year in making the foundations of a rather awesome game which has now reached the alpha stage, which means that the game is feature complete. When we get back from the holidays, the team will work towards the beta, where the remaining content gets into the game, including final events, tutorial and AI.

In the last two weeks, we've done quite a lot of multiplayer testing with QA Team and the Design Team.
    It sounds a bit pretentious to say team when QA is 3 people and design team is me and King, but well

We have run multiple campaigns as the 5 western powers for the first 100-150 years to tweak the start of colonisation and expansion.
    Constantly rotating players between countries and tweaking mechanics and balance to improve playability.

What we discovered was that the game, in this early stage, it is damn fun!
    And sometimes you have to admit that you lost a war, and cut your losses.
    Sometimes you become really proud of your accomplishments, and sometimes you go, why the hell did I just do that??

So what has worked out the best?
    - Trade, where navies are vital.
    - Monarch Power, the strategies are endless.
    - Combat, the changes make warfare so much more fun and battles interesting.

OTOH, there are some interfaces that needs to be reworked to be easier to handle and give better interfaces, especially the diplomatic and province interfaces..

Here's a screenshot of my France in one of the sessions, a few months after the peace where I had finally defeated Burgundy and their perfidious allies..

Click image for larger version

Name:	eu4_8.png
Views:	6768
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	69910

We're back after January 6th to conquer the world and enslave humanity!

Last edited by Regina; 21-12-2012 at 14:23.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Rampant Lion Demi Moderator Seelmeister's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    East India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisV2 Beta
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

All sounds great, congratulations on reaching alpha!

I hope all the team at Paradox have a great Christmas, and all the best for 2013 (particularly in terms of the EU4 development!)
    When I speak in gold I do so as a demi-moderator. Never publicly question moderation action, PM me instead. Forum Rules

Current AARs
    MotE - In the Shadow of Greatness
    EUIV - Your Wee Bit Hill and Glen
    Victoria II - The Concert of Europe: Germany in the Long Nineteenth Century - New!

Visit my Inkwell to see all my AARs | Subscribe to the AARlander - A monthly collection of reviews, interviews and articles!

WritAAR of the week: 29/12/13 ... Fan of the week: 27/01/13 and 12/01/14

Second Lieutenant
    Crusader Kings II

Merry Christmas Paradox.

Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us in 2013.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourHOI3: Their Finest HourMagickaSengoku
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Merry Christmas y'all .

But what are these combat changes? Might we be seeing a less numbers-based form of deciding battles?
    House of Ivy: A Europa Universalis IV AAR. My Inkwell.

"There is nowhere else. You will only tread a circle, Titus Groan. There's not a road, not a track, but it will lead you home. For everything comes to Gormenghast."

"...Well, thank you, Projekt. I am now what is known as Dead. And you were all wrong about the afterlife."

Forum's #1 Irishman Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Vassals @167%? Something to do with how many admin points you are using?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    I guess they take the same percentage as the one you get on your own taxes.

What´s that about advisors being HALF of the expenses. It seems advisors are going to be freakingly expensive, at least in the early game.

I noticed a button "let´s combat inflation". I wonder how that will work.

I also wonder what those combat ahcnges might be. Perhaps they are aiming for what CK 2 is?

PS. Merry Christams¡

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRalphWiggum View Post
    bug it shows tax bonus percentage added.

Johan Andersson

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuSword of the StarsPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Advisors costing more than army... interesting. If this is common situation it will really change the budget structure.

And GB in mid XVI century?
    "Fairies wear boots - you've got to believe me!" - Black Sabbath

Forum's #1 Irishman Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by No idea View Post
    What´s that about advisors being HALF of the expenses. It seems advisors are going to be freakingly expensive, at least in the early game.
    Well, they practically represent the entire government, so it makes sense they should be expensive. I try and think of it as not just their personal salaries, but all the costs associated with the non-military part of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    bug it shows tax bonus percentage added.
    What affects it?

Heh, I am super excited.

I was thinking Johan (and I understand why you might say no): how about when the game enters beta or so you toss the players a playable build for the first, say, 100 years or so (or, if not everything is complete yet, restrict country selection). Players will help with the balance and bug fixes, we get to test drive a game and you also get some extra publicity buzz. It is a win-win situation!

I understand that devs in general kinda avoid beta, or at least open ones, mainly because some people think beta = demo, which is not true of course, however I believe the PC market, and especially this place, is mature beyond that point.

The combat changes sound interesting! It really a pity there will not be another diary for multiple weeks. (I know, I'm selfish.)

Also, the screenshot is great! Great Britain formed (a bit early, but never mind), Burgundy's on its way to collapse (or not, just a few months might not be enough to judge this), that's one mighty army there, and look at the top of the screenshot!
    1) France (+allies?) have 21 ships (Edit: in DD#8 England has 45, that puts it in quite a different perspective, I guess)
    2) The Papal States are intruding to the Netherlands once more.

And we still haven't heard what that medal resource (+98 in the screenie) in the top bar is!
    Last edited by Marquis d Blois; 21-12-2012 at 13:02.
    POP: 1 clerk-to-be
    Issues: Direct democracy, self-issued credit
    Party support: no matching issues
    Consciousness: 9
    Militancy: 3

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marquis d Blois View Post
    The combat changes sound interesting! It really a pity there will not be another diary for multiple weeks. (I know, I'm selfish.)

Also, the screenshot is great! Great Britain formed (a bit early, but never mind), Burgundy's on its way to collapse (or not, just a few months might not be enough to judge this), that's one mighty army there, and look at the top of the screenshot!
    1) France (+allies?) have 21 ships
    2) The Papal States are intruding to the Netherlands once more.

And we still haven't heard what that medal resource (+98 in the screenie) in the top bar is!
    For the record, there were players in Burgundy, England, France, Castille & Portugal.

The reason for Papacy in Holland is due to Utrecht being the last bastion of catholic theocracies..

Johan Andersson

For the record, there were players in Burgundy, England, France, Castille & Portugal.

The reason for Papacy in Holland is due to Utrecht being the last bastion of catholic theocracies..
    Question, is papal states getting any attention at all? They did quite abit more then majority of the tier 3.

Great to hear that - it seems that game would require more strategic choices. I thought that combat remained unchanged - nice surprise there.

200k clubA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossKing Arthur IILeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMajesty 2
    March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

If I was to find a bug in a MP session game like that, I`d delay reporting it, so I can shamelessly exploit it against my enemies first.
    SIR!, WE'RE SURROUNDED!
    Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!

Konungr of Scandinavia DarkieBabZ's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIImpire
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Merry Christmas Paradox! you deserve some time off!

I look forward to hear more about the game next year.
    Thank you for letting us know what features etc. are working the best
    I am really exited about the new trade system
    to unite scandinavian as one that is my true goal in life...
    Remember the Kalmar Union
    //Darkie

He who does not understand a joke, he does not understand Danish.
    //Georg Brandes

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Maybe it´s just a coincidence, but I find interesting that inflation is 6.71% and the tax bonus is 67%... any relation there?

I know balancing and AI refinement are only a thing of the future, but could we get a political map of Europe? (Also, no Sweden?)

And yes, in EU3 if the Papacy's annexed, it asks Archbishoprics for their land.
    (Sometimes taking over a lucky/aggressively militaristic Trier, and eventually blobbing to about a dozen provinces, riding on the chaos inherent to the region after both Burgundy and France collapse)
    POP: 1 clerk-to-be
    Issues: Direct democracy, self-issued credit
    Party support: no matching issues
    Consciousness: 9
    Militancy: 3

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IIThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsMagicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard

Have a nice holiday Paradox. Looking forward to the 6th.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Ouch... poor France!
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast