would anyone do a "*insert unit name* only" playthrough?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eugenioso

Banned
5 Badges
Sep 15, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
im not good at the whole AAR thing and uploading pics on the internet sounds like a bitch. besides, i have never done any number crunching like some of the players here. but im interested if someone who is indeed a good number cruncher tackle the sadistic challenge of a single unit only game. germany with only tanks for example. the massive armored formations of the wehrmacht will crush the enemies of the reich!... so long as you have enough fuel for them to fight that is. japan with only marines? why not? tibet with armored divs? that would rock honestly. the soviets with militia only? that would... actually that would be painful (edited by safferli.

edited for language

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done two games like this, one with infantry and one with militia, both as the USSR. Both were extremely successful.

I believe the game is unbalanced in favour of large numbers of low-cost divisions. I haven't actually run the experiment, but I think Germany or the USSR using nothing but tanks would get completely slaughtered. Tank divisions just don't fight well enough to justify their cost, and no nation is so starved of manpower that their reduced casualties would make up for that failing.

It's a shame really - World War 2 was the war that showed that mobility will utterly destroy an immobile mass of troops, but the game doesn't simulate it very well at all. See also: Planes versus submarines. Reality - planes killed more subs than any other weapon. In the game? Subs are virtually invulnerable to planes.

I've done two games like this, one with infantry and one with militia, both as the USSR. Both were extremely successful.

I believe the game is unbalanced in favour of large numbers of low-cost divisions. I haven't actually run the experiment, but I think Germany or the USSR using nothing but tanks would get completely slaughtered. Tank divisions just don't fight well enough to justify their cost, and no nation is so starved of manpower that their reduced casualties would make up for that failing.

It's a shame really - World War 2 was the war that showed that mobility will utterly destroy an immobile mass of troops, but the game doesn't simulate it very well at all. See also: Planes versus submarines. Reality - planes killed more subs than any other weapon. In the game? Subs are virtually invulnerable to planes.

I've started a tank only game with germany. so far poland was easy but havent gotten the time to go further yet, ill probably gonna post it soon

lanodaka, id be so interested to see that. how are you holding the french back?

lanodaka, id be so interested to see that. how are you holding the french back?

erm, nothing happened there, i had in all 3 provinces a group with 3 tanks and a group with 1 hq and 2 tanks. they did nothing.... kinda surprised myself :eek:hmy:

though I think france should be do-able, Im kinda stuck with alot of l.arm 2 and 3 atm, so barbarossa can become quite awkward