• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It looks really promising, and I think playing in a republic will be great fun (despite my disappointment that just 5 republics are playable).

I notice that one of the guys in the screenshot is also mayor of a city. How does that work? How can a patrician be elected mayor? Is that another election you need to be involved in?

Great dd. One question, are any trading posts present at game start or do we always have to build them from scratch?

There are pre-scripted ones too, but Trade Posts are next week's subject.

I notice that one of the guys in the screenshot is also mayor of a city. How does that work? How can a patrician be elected mayor? Is that another election you need to be involved in?

Patricians can hold both cities and castles without penalty.

Patricians can hold both cities and castles without penalty.

Makes sense, but when you die wont another, randomly generated, guy be elected as the new mayor? So is there any way to make your heir get the control of the city? Or are cities within republics Agnatic Seniority rather than Open Elective?

EDIT: Of course they are. CK2 does only support multiple succession laws and splitting of property on the kingdom/empire level.

Originally Posted by Thure View Post
Will landlocked and lesser republics ever be playable?
Unlikely. I doubt they could be made very interesting, tbh.

I'm confident you will find something interesting for them too^^

I was one of those who thought that playing republics would never be interesting enough to play, but I'm totally sold on the idea now! :D I'm so going to buy this :D

While Patricians have a bourgeois background and are not proper members of the nobility

In Italy, they actually are, especially in the major republics (but not only; e.g. patricianship of Ferrara would still qualify). Technically, they're barely above the lowest untitled nobility (nobile), so someone designed as a patrician (e.g. Napoleon's father had this title, and Napoleon's birth announcement in the gazette listed him as a proper ecuyer) is just a bit above someone who is simply a nobleman or noblewoman and below a knight. But in practice the title of patrician of Venice or Genoa was cool enough for monarchs to list closer to the end of the list, where small feudal seigneuries would be mentioned (e.g. for Savoys). Also, when they actually retained a feudal holding, a castle or even something grander than that, they could reap the benefits of the status (unlike in other countries, where it was more complicated). In Italy, sometimes feudal families moved to the city and became patricians; in such a case they retained the feudal nobility status too. So I guess you could treat them on par with the unlanded generic courtiers (invite steward/debutante random nobles without a family).

In the HRE, patricians in the imperial free cities were also considered noble; in fact, being listed as such prior to 1350 without a preceding patent puts one in the category of immemorial nobility (the Uradel). Untitled but anyway. On the other hand, hanseatic patricians in what was not an imperial free city would generally be Großbürgers in the later period but when need arose such folks suddenly found themselves with a von to their name and married anybody they wanted, male or female, as well as taking high military commissions.

It seems I'll have to subtract around 10€ from my budget next month again. :cool: Personally I've been aboard since day 1 of CK2 announcement, and have nearly 400h of game time on my steam, but of late I haven't been able to get into the game so much. Probably because I've played most regions enough times to have nothing new to look forward to. HOWEVER, now that we've republics and the patricians I am again looking forward to spending days or even weeks on the game. So thank you Paradox. Thank you for continuing to support the game and your loyal fanbase.

Hopefully you can get the ruler designer to work so we can work on customized patrician families, but we'll see. Either way, it will be cool to finally be able to bring glory to the Genoese and the Hansa.