• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
At least another bright Welf! It seems that these nomads will suffer at your hands :laugh:

Yeah the new Welf (Prince Welf IX) seems to be the most promising Welf yet! :) He's a genius fresh out the womb. The de Toulouse's had good genes and land! And yeah hopefully the nomads suffer a bit, but that is if my son the soon-to-be King Welf the First of Hungary doesn't screw everything up. Which, well wouldn't surprise me any.

Wow, your HRE stands to look even uglier than mine did by the end! But practically the entire north coast of the Black Sea will certainly be a fine catch for Welf VIII.

Good stuff recently, tnick0225. I may be a bit slow on commenting, but rest assured I'm still reading avidly!

Wow, your HRE stands to look even uglier than mine did by the end! But practically the entire north coast of the Black Sea will certainly be a fine catch for Welf VIII.

Good stuff recently, tnick0225. I may be a bit slow on commenting, but rest assured I'm still reading avidly!

No worries on being slow on commenting, seems a lot of us are getting busy this time of year. Glad you're still reading it though :)

But yeah, should everything go well my HRE is going to be a monster! Hopefully Welf VIII will prove effective as King, and hopefully his son Welf IX is raised well, he will be the first genius in the family so looking forward to Kaiser Welf's grandson growing up.

With that said, I've been considering starting a strictly gameplay (screenshot heavy) AAR, playing random characters in CKII and porting it to EUIV, to see how crazy of a Europe and world I can create...toyed around with the idea today and its looking to be rather funny so far, so may get that up and running over here in AARland soon.

Chapter XLVIII - The Rise of Welf's Descendents

Chapter XLVIII - The Rise of Welf's Descendents​

The death of Empress Terezia should have under normal circumstances disturbed Kaiser Welf, but he was relieved. Relieved that he was now a widower and even more relieved that the first step in Hungarian integration into the Holy Roman Empire as dreamed by Regent Gotthard Rapotonen so many years ago was finally underway.

2013-03-03_00113_zpseddf5dd6.jpg

Shortly after his late wife's internment into a tomb at the Bavarian Abbey of St. Emmeram's in Regensburg, his son Duke Welf V of Austria would be crowned King of Hungary by the Abbot of St. Emmeram's under the watchful eye of the Kaiser and the Princes of the Holy Roman Empire. For the first time a Welf would inherit a Kingdom, not from plotting or Welf ambition, but solely due to a lowly Councilor's ambition to increase his sovereign's prestige and station. Gotthard's Dream as it was to become known was slowly taking shape.

2013-03-03_00116_zps8f5bcd5c.jpg

Before his son the newly ascended King Welf Welf of Hungary left his ceremonial dias and throne at St. Emmeram's he declared war in front of the German and Italian Princes that were gathered. "It is my first duty as King of Hungary, Lord of the old Magyars, to continue my mother's policy of securing our Eastern frontier by further subjugating the Steppe tribes. They are barbarians, and heathens, and we must bring the sword so that we may bring our Lord's word to these uncivilized realms. I ask all of you Princes of the Holy Roman Empire, to draw your swords and march with me!"

2013-03-03_00117_zpsf71b78f8.jpg

The Princes were not as excited about another march to the Steppes as the new Hungarian King seemed to be, but Kaiser Welf stepped forward beaming in pride at this moment and turned to those gathered, "My subjects, companions, friends, all, let us march East!"

With the Kaiser's blessing for the war it seemed inevitable that the Princes would once more have to raise their levies for another foreign war and thus left grumbling. Some of course were pleased as was Duke Lothar of Saxony. Lothar had grown into a military genius, almost more at peace while swinging his blade and spilling blood then he was when he sat at his dreary northern castle.

With that the celebrations of King Welf's ascension continued in earnest, and several weeks later he and a host of soldiers would march to Hungary to raise his own vassal's levies. Thus, the war against High Chief Bonek would begin, the 2nd Hungarian Holy War for Abkhazia.

Upon the Kaiser's return to Munchen he was looking forward to catching up with Gerberga who had stayed behind at the castle during the Funeral and subsequent coronation ceremony, but instead he was greeted by Duke Cassio II d'Este.

"My lord," the Duke said welcoming him home with a graceful bow. "I have someone of note I would like you to meet."

The Kaiser just stared at him slightly annoyed, "Can this wait? I've had a long ride already and wish to relax in my own bed."

Duke Cassio smiled, "Perhaps, but I think what is waiting is so much more important."

"Very well, let's hurry this up," Kaiser Welf growled, and followed his Chancellor into the audience hall of the Castle. Once inside he saw foreign dignitaries of whom he didn't recall. They were not German nor Hungarian, nor Italian. These dignitaries he could not immediately place. Upon hearing the Kaiser announced they all cleared a path for Welf and Cassio, bowing. As they cleared out of the way, the Kaiser saw standing at the end of the clearing, a young beautiful regal woman.

His wishes of feeling Gerberga's soft touch left him. In that moment all he knew, was that young woman. As he walked by she curtsied majestically smiling coyly at him and he smiled back, and continued to his throne. Once he sat down, Duke Cassio stepped several paces away and announced to the whole room, "Your Imperial Majesty, Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire, King of Bavaria and Croatia, Duke of Bavaria, I am pleased to introduce Princess Velasquita Berenguelez Jimena, Princess of Castille and Aragon."

Velasquita once again curtsied, when one of the emissaries that came with her stepped forward. "It is my honor, your majesty, to present Princess Velasquita to your presence. Our lord and King of Aragon and Castille, wishes to propose his sister's hand in marriage to your honorable self."

Welf just sat there taken aback for a few minutes and smiled, "I thank the wonderful King of Aragon and Castille for this pleasant surprise, and I accept."

Cheers from the Spanish mission erupted and Velasquita's coy nervous smile bloomed into a smile of joy. And with that little play, the domination of Gerberga von Weimar in the court of Munchen began to wane, for she was nothing to compare to the Kaiser's Spanish bride.

2013-03-03_00118_zps4ef450cd.jpg

After the marriage took place word from Rome that Pope Symmachus II had died of the Whore's Disease and the election of Pope Valentine II had been announced. Valentine too was rumored to be a frequenter of Rome's brothels and therefore a logical successor to the Bishop of Brothels.

2013-03-03_00121_zpsf33b2c21.jpg
2013-03-03_00122_zpsf4d2e025.jpg

Several months later the war in Abkhazia was over and the Imperial Armies once more made their long voyages back to their homes in Germany.

2013-03-03_00124_zps4125068c.jpg

With peace in Hungary it began to be evident that the remaining Arpad's were none too pleased with a Welf German overlord and grumblings began to be heard and the word Rebellion once again began to be floated. No such treason was waged at that time though, instead the year 1173 was pleasant, and forgiving until the spring when Kaiser Welf saw a chance to please the Croatian Duke Dujam II by pressing his claim on Zara, against Doge Alberto di Leone of Capua.

2013-03-09_00001_zps3518437d.jpg

The war against the Capuan Doge would go smoothly, truly no major hostilities were raised and by the end of the year the Doge surrendered, handing Zara over to Duke Dujam II.

2013-03-09_00004_zps2f779e40.jpg

One more month would pass by, when yet more sad news would strike the House of Welf. In distant Toulouse, where Duchess Eleanore had returned to so that she could keep a closer eye upon her relatives in the Duchy, had died of severe stress at the young age of 23.

2013-03-09_00009_zpsb25c4c4c.jpg

She would have made a great Kaiserin, would have truly been the right hand of Welf VIII, and an even better mother to raise Prince Welf IX. The Lord it seemed had other plans for the Kaiser's descendants, for with the Duchess's death his grandson Prince Welf IX would be proclaimed Duke Welf Welf of Toulouse at the tender age of 2. In many ways the Kaiser felt sorrow for his young grandson. He knew the trials of having a burden of a duchy placed upon such fragile shoulders at such a young age, and having your parents ripped away.

2013-03-09_00010_zpsac7bf43a.jpg

It was said that during this time the Kaiser was inconsolable, not even taking to bed with his new wife nor his former mistress Gerberga. But his sadness in those intervening weeks was not for the loss of his daughter-in-law, but rather for the trials that his grandson now faced. In many ways, it was a deep seated fear that Kaiser Welf now felt, a fear that neither his grandson nor his son would survive long. He feared the wolves, and feared how the French King would treat little Welf IX upon his arrival in Toulouse.

Do not afraid for this young lad ! He seems to be a bright one ;)

I'm more afraid about the Frenchmen that will educating and leading his development. If he was of age than it wouldn't be so worrisome, and then there is Prince Welf VIII King of Hungary, whose a German sitting on that throne...that should prove to be rather crazy to watch hopefully they both survive.

I'm more afraid about the Frenchmen that will educating and leading his development. If he was of age than it wouldn't be so worrisome, and then there is Prince Welf VIII King of Hungary, whose a German sitting on that throne...that should prove to be rather crazy to watch hopefully they both survive.

And will Welf VIII be remarrying a 46-year old lowborn woman? Y'know, for love

Appendix IV - Timeline of the First 100 Years

Appendix IV - Timeline of the First 100 Years​

So I was sitting here thinking and realized that this AAR has gotten gigantic. It's taken a completely different life than what I imagined it taking when I started composing it last December. I have to admit it has been one of the funnest games I've played, and I have enjoyed retelling it and creating stories and fleshing out a few characters for all of you. 1165 was my favorite year, favorite period, favorite part to even write about thus far. Still a lot to tell though.

But as I said this AAR has gotten gigantic and is probably beyond daunting for newcomers. I found myself thinking about this the other day and decided that perhaps I should do a Timeline of the First 100 Years, more or less to summarize important events. So I went back to my notes and began writing down what I had put on paper. This timeline takes the basic format of my notes brief things with the date, sometimes there's only a month or year but that's rare. There will be a good chance that after I post this I go through and create links to the corresponding chapter that that event occurred in. But that will be mostly only for the MAJOR events.

Anyone who is just now joining, I would definitely suggest heading to the Chapter entitled 1165 just because that sets the stage for everything currently happening right now. If you need the backstory of Kaiser Welf's descendants then by all means start from Chapter 1 :) Anyways I hope this is a good thing to include and hopefully it serves as a great refresher for all of those that have been reading and staying up-to-date. I know as I was going through this I was like, "Oh yeah, I had almost forgotten that happened!" Which is sad since it's my story.

Without further ado here is the timeline of the first 100 years:

January 1, 1070 - Welf Welf named Duke of Bavaria

March 1, 1071 - Doge Gentile of Pisa begins Pisan League of Independence War
October 10, 1071 - Wittelsbach Rebellion

January 22, 1074 - Rebellion of Nurnberg
March 18, 1074 - Pope Alexander II dies, Pope Stephen X elected

August 3, 1075 - Duke Welf's father Duke Alberto Azzo d'Este dies
August 4, 1075 - Duke Welf's half-brother Ugo d'Este inherits Duchy of Lombardy

July 18, 1077 - Tuscan War to place Duke Ugo d'Este on HRE throne

January 2, 1079 - Bavarian War for Osterreich begins
December 15, 1079 - Duke Ernst surrenders Osterreich to Duke Welf of Bavaria
December 17, 1079 - Duke Welf Welf becomes Duke of Austria

April 26, 1081 - Bishop Giselbert of Freising imprisoned for Heresy, the Prophecies of Giselbert begin
October 21, 1081 - Kaiser Heinrich IV Salian killed in battle by Duke Ugo d'Este
October 22, 1081 - Duke Berthold von Rheinfelden of Swabia elected as Kaiser (von Rheinfelden reign begins)
November 4, 1081 - Imperial capital moved to Stuttgart, Wurttemberg

March 21, 1082 - War to revoke County of Nurnberg

May 31, 1083 - Countess Adelheid surrenders Nurnberg to Duke Welf
June 2, 1083 - Duke Welf presses claim for Lombardy

February, 1086 - Duke Vratislav Premyslid creates Kingdom of Bohemia (King Vratislav Premyslid)

June 9, 1088 - Duke Ugo d'Este surrenders Lombardy (he is still imprisoned by the Kaiser)
September 20, 1088 - Duke Welf Welf refounds Kingdom of Bavaria becoming King Welf Welf
November 21, 1088 - Kaiser Berthold releases Ugo d'Este, King Welf renames Ugo Duke of Lombardy

March 15, 1090 - Birth of the Assassins

August 21, 1096 - Pope Stephen X dies, Pope Formosus II elected
December 3, 1096 - Crusade for Jerusalem fails

October 10, 1101 - Prince Reinhard Welf Prince-Bishop of Salzburg imprisoned for heresy
December 18, 1101 - Duke Wilhelm Salian of Pisa usurps Pisa from Doge Guido the Careless

June 14, 1105 - Count Svatober Premyslid usurps the Bohemian Throne deposing King Jaromir II.

June 16, 1106 - King Welf's wife Ethelinde von Nordheim dies
June 28, 1106 - King Welf marries Cornelia Orsini in a matrilineal arrangement

September 11, 1107 - Queen Gudrun deposed by Kaiser Berthold enforcing Papal Bull of Excommunication
September 12, 1107 - Queen Gudrun dies - Norwegian Throne passes to Gudmund af Orkneyjar

February 19, 1108 - King Welf Welf of Bavaria dies his son Baron Welf of Altdorf crowned King Welf II

January 21, 1110 - King Philippe II de Bourgogne of France deposed by Count Philippe Capet of Yperen
January 22, 1110 - Count Philippe crowned King Philippe III Capet of France

October 10, 1112 - King Welf II is diagnosed with the Great Pox

January 4, 1113 - Knights of St. John founded

February 8, 1114 - Duke Philippe "the Just" de Bourgogne deposes King Philippe III Capet, regaining the French Throne as King Philippe II "the Just" de Bourgogne of France
August 25, 1114 - Duke Ugo "Kaiser-Slayer" d'Este dies, Cassio d'Este named Duke of Lombardy

January, 1116 - Gotthard Rapotonen becomes Spymaster of Bavaria

March 13, 1117 - Count Adalbert von Tyrol dies in an accident, Duke Albrecht von Tyrol inherits the County of Bourgogne

January 4, 1118 - Knights Templar founded
March 14, 1118 - Kaiser Berthold von Rheinfelden excommunicated
September 21, 1118 - King Welf II imprisons his sister Walpurga for the murder of Chancellor Raymond Karling

February 11, 1121 - Prince Welf VI marries his cousin Princess Kera Trpmirovic of Croatia

November 21, 1122 - Pope lifts the excommunication of Kaiser Berthold
December 11, 1122 - King Welf II dies of the Great Pox
December 12, 1122 - Prince Welf VI crowned King Welf III Welf of Bavaria

May 8, 1124 - Bretislav Premyslid crowned King of Bohemia

June, 1125 - Jakob Welf (brother of King Welf III) marries Duchess Frida von Vlaanderen of Saxony

November 30, 1126 - Jakob Welf dies, survived by son Lothar Welf

October 4, 1127 - King Welf III Welf killed by wolves while hunting
October 5, 1127 - Duke Albrecht von Tyrol elected as King of Bavaria - King Albrecht von Tyrol
- Prince Welf VII becomes Duke Welf IV of Bavaria-Austria six weeks after his birth
- Gotthard Rapotonen become Regent of Bavaria-Austria

April 21, 1128 - Boleslav Premyslid crowned King of Bohemia

October 21, 1129 - Duchess Frida von Vlaanderen of Saxony dies of an illness
- Duke Welf IV's cousin Lothar becomes Duke Lothar Welf of Saxony

January 27, 1131 - Kaiser Berthold "the Great" von Rheinfelden dies comatose
- Rudolf von Rheinfelden elected Kaiser
February 8, 1131 - Regent Gotthard Rapotonen declares war for the Kingdom of Bavaria on behalf of Duke Welf IV
April 3, 1131 - Pope Formosus II declares Crusade for Sicily

January 12, 1132 - Bavarian soldiers kill Duke Cassio d'Este of Lombardy, his son Ugo becomes Duke Ugo II d'Este
August 19, 1132 - Kaiser Rudolf revokes the Kingdom of Bohemia from King Boleslav Premyslid, keeping the crown for himself

January 1133 - Kaiser Rudolf revokes the Duchy of Bohemia from Boleslav Premyslid
February 27, 1133 - Kaiser Rudolf revokes the Duchy of Moravia from Boleslav Premyslid
August 4, 1133 - Jutte Welf marries Emperor Konstantinos XII Diogenes of the Eastern Roman Empire
December 19, 1133 - Kaiser Rudolf von Rheinfelden wins the Crusade for Sicily

1139 - Regent Gotthard Rapotonen becomes comatose, his cousin Count Stefan Rapotonen of Passau named Regent

May 23, 1140 - Former Regent of Bavaria Gotthard Rapotonen dies

1142 - Kaiser Rudolf von Rheinfelden dies, his son Burchard von Rheinfelden is elected

August 11, 1143 - Duke Welf IV Welf comes of age dissolving Count Stefan's Regency
August 20, 1143 - Duke Welf IV marries Princess Terezia Arpad of Hungary
October 14, 1143 - War for Duke Welf IV Welf's claim on Bavarian Throne ends deposing King Albrecht von Tyrol
- Duke Welf IV crowned King Welf IV Welf of Bavaria

January 30, 1144 - Kaiser Burchard von Rheinfelden dies in a suspicious accident
- Berthold von Rheinfelden elected as Kaiser Berthold II von Rheinfelden

March 31, 1145 - Count Jaromir Premyslid usurps Duchy of Moravia from Prince Arnold von Rheinfelden

June 23, 1146 - King Welf IV Welf declares war for Croatian Crown

July 13, 1147 - King Kresimir V Trpmirovic of Croatia dies his son Mihajlo inherits

February 18, 1148 - Pope Formosus II dies, Pope Symmachus II elected

July 8, 1149 - heir apparent to the HRE Prince Berthold falls to his death on his 16th birthday

February 4, 1151 - King Mihajlo Trpmirovic surrenders Croation crown, King Welf IV becomes King Welf Welf of Croatia

December 20, 1152 - King Welf IV of Bavaria names Count Ljudevit Duke of Slavonia

March 28, 1154 - Prince Welf VIII is born

May 25, 1155 - King Welf IV Welf changes inheritance law to Primogeniture in Bavaria

August 22, 1156 - Count Stefan Rapotonen former Regent of Bavaria-Austria dies, his son becomes Count Bernhard of Passau

September 11, 1159 - Yassir Rawa conquers the Fatimid Sultanate, creating the Rawaid Sultanate in Egypt

June 28, 1160 - Kaiser Berthold II von Rheinfelden dies maimed and crippled, his son is elected as Kaiser Lothar II von Rheinfelden
August 4, 1160 - Kaiser Lothar II transfers vassalge of Duke Theodorich von Tyrol of Tyrol to King Welf IV of Bavaria
October 14, 1160 - Kaiser Lothar II moves Imperial Capital to Braunschweig

1162 - Kaiser Lothar transfers vassalage of Count Phillipp of Kempten to King Welf IV of Bavaria
- King Welf IV's wife Terezia Arpad becomes Queen Terezia Arpad of Hungary

July 26, 1164 - King Benito "the Just" of Castille wins the Crusade for Andalusia after capturing Fathe "the Cruel"
December 22, 1164 - Duke Ioan of Slavonia imprisoned after trying to make claims for the Croatian Crown

February 25, 1165 - Jourdain d'Aubonne plans assassination of Kaiser Lothar II von Rheinfelden
March 24, 1165 - Kaiser Lothar II von Rheinfelden dies in an explosion of cow-shit
March 28, 1165 - King Welf IV Welf elected Kaiser Welf Welf of the Holy Roman Empire
April 3, 1165 - Duke Ugo II d'Este dies of stress, his son becomes Duke Cassio II d'Este
- Kaiser Welf joins Empress Terezia of Hungary in her war against the Rebellion of Duke Lothar of Transylvania
October 18, 1165 - 2nd assassination attempt on Kaiser Welf
October 21, 1165 - Kaiser Welf's cousin named Emperor Ioannes II Diogenes of the Eastern Roman Empire
November 7, 1165 - Duke Lothar Welf of Saxony slays Duke Ruprecht Udonen of Brandenburg at the battle of Csorna
- Duke Ruprecht's 2 year old boy becomes Duke Thomas II Udonen of Brandenburg

June 21, 1166 - 3rd Assassination attempt on Kaiser Welf fails, Mayor Nikolaus of Furth discovered to be behind the plots
July 6, 1166 - Mayor Nikolaus of Furth Rebels against Kaiser Welf

April 26, 1167 - Former Croatian King Duke Mihajlo dies, his grandson becomes Duke Gaspar Trpmirovic of Croatia
May 19, 1167 - Mayor Nikolaus is arrested and stripped of his title as Mayor of Furth

December 28, 1168 - Grand Tournament in the Holy Roman Empire begins

June 19, 1169 - Former Mayor and Spymaster Nikolaus of Furth dies in Giselbert's Abode
July 13, 1169 - Empress Terezia Arpad calls Kaiser Welf into war against Khanum Ciltanesi of Cumania for Sarkel​

Not sure if the format for this is good or not, so by all means let me know, hope its somewhat informative and hopefully helps some people catch up to the current Chapters so they can go back to the beginning to read without being afraid of falling even further behind. And with luck it helps remind some people of prior events :)

Once again thank you for reading and commenting means a lot to me, and I should have another chapter up sometime this weekend!

Last edited:
Actually, I think the summary is quite helpful. Thanks for putting it up!

And here's really hoping that Welf IX doesn't take to the throne of Goslar as a Frenchified dandy! That would be a disaster; poor Kaiser Welf...

Actually, I think the summary is quite helpful. Thanks for putting it up!

And here's really hoping that Welf IX doesn't take to the throne of Goslar as a Frenchified dandy! That would be a disaster; poor Kaiser Welf...

Glad you liked the Timeline Revan. Figured for as long as this AAR is it needed to be done. I'd even forgotten some things that had happened.

But yeah Welf IX becoming french would anger the old Kaiser...seeing his son Welf VIII becoming Hungarian would be very bad as well...

@Tyler96: Haha, yeah I had to throw that in there, sounds so much better than plain old manure ya know!

Still working on another update in this Welf Family Saga. Got sidetracked by finally playing the game again, and had the Welf's first run in with the Ilkhanate last night...that will be explored in this AAR but still a good 60 years away in game time.

Chapter XLIX - Affairs

Chapter XLIX - Affairs​

Princess Velasquita Jimena, Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, proved to be vital in those intervening weeks after Prince Welf IX went on his way to assume the lands and titles left to him from his late mother the Duchess Eleanore de Toulouse, Queen of Hungary. Where the Kaiser was still in love with his nephew's wife Gerberga, he still found comfort in the Iberian beauty of Velasquita, and frequented his new wife's bedchamber more and more. He didn't truly desire to sire more children, in fact he sort of dreaded the thought of what kind of future more male sons would create. Yet, he and Velasquita began making love on a regular basis, and she would announce in February that she was with child.

2013-03-09_00011_zps5fb8afef.jpg

As Kaiser Welf slowly warmed to his new wife his son the King of Hungary was slowly trying to find his own solace after the death of his wife. In the emptiness of his castle, being a foreign King in a strange country that his mother had left him, not even speaking the same language as his vassals, King Welf of Hungary would find a serving girl. They couldn't converse of course, as the wench was uneducated, but the lovemaking she offered him was the release he desired most. As the two made love King Welf of Hungary slowly began to grow accustomed to certain Hungarian words, albeit not the proper way to speak it, and he slowly fell in love with the serving wench. Do to this love affair he saw it fitting to marry the girl.

2013-03-09_00012_zpsc6e5eecf.jpg

The Kaiser when he heard of his son's secret wedding to a commoner grew even more distraught and angry. Though his anger was nothing compared to that of the Hungarian nobility. As word spread like wildfire throughout the steppes, one by one Arpad Lords and other Hungarian nobles slowly formed a coalition for independence. King Welf seeing a force that was very powerful and not wanting to pull himself away from the comforting embrace of his wife, came to the conclusion that granting those rebellious vassals independence was by far the best option.

2013-03-09_00012aftermath_zps9d4e9808.jpg

With half of his Kingdom freed the Empire the Welf's seemed destined to be constructing now seemed to be in a state of decay. The Kaiser had no answer on how best to deal with the Hungarian situation and his son's wayward ways. Instead, Kaiser Welf turned his attention back to the two women in his life, Gerberga and Velasquita. The Kaiserin, however, would grow angry about her husband's continued dalliances with Gerberga and would confront Welf about it. He refused to break off the relationship the first time. However a year later shortly after Gerberga gave birth to a daughter that was really Georg's he would accept his wife's concerns and send Gerberga on her way with Georg to Euboia, all the while keeping little Richenza in Munchen.

2013-03-09_00015_zpse9f5fd47.jpg

Velasquita would give birth the couple's first child, a daughter that much to the Kaiserin's displeasure, Welf would name Gerberga. Months would pass and once again the Christmas season would begin with a letter from King Welf of Hungary requesting the Holy Roman Empire's help in a war to reclaim some lands he had granted independence. These lands were currently held by Princess Borbala Arpad.

Kaiser Welf, was not very happy about this request. He ranted and raved and yelled, and yet he ordered his Marshal the Mayor Udo of Dachau to begin raising levies to march into Hungary once again.

2013-03-09_00016_zps15330665.jpg

As the HRE's army marched off to join their Hungarian brethren in war, Mayor Udo of Dachau, would send a confusing message to the Kaiser. Welf paid no attention to it, but merely brushed it off as the Marshal getting older and slowly losing his mind.

2013-03-09_00020_zpse754502a.jpg

The new year would begin with yet another announcement. Just a year after Velasquita had announced her first pregnancy she once again announced being with child.

2013-03-09_00031_zpsbba2ee0c.jpg

In May of 1175, Princess Borbala Arpad would surrender her lands to King Welf, and the German levies would begin their long march back home. It was then that Kaiser Welf would officially break up with Gerberga von Weimar, and more or less exile his nephew and ex-lover to Euboia. And once again more time would pass in relative peace and quiet within the walls of Munchen. When, in October of that year a new Welf prince would be born and given the name of Martin.

2013-03-09_00026_zps61d15640.jpg

Right after Prince Martin's birth King Welf would once more call his father into war this time to reclaim Belgorod against Count Jeno Arpad.

2013-03-09_00028_zps56378329.jpg

The war against Count Jeno Arpad went quickly and peace was offered to King Welf in May of 1176. That year like the previous years went by with little of note. The only other thing that occurred that year was that Kaiserin Velasquita once again announced she was pregnant in October of 1176. In the summer of 1177 she would go into labor, a hard labor this time. As she would be in the birthing bed for hours screaming and wailing, before it was finally announced that she had given birth to not one son but two. The twins Leopold and Heinrich.

2013-03-09_00057_zps5ff95b7d.jpg
2013-03-09_00059_zpse3775d39.jpg

After the labor Velasquita grew withdrawn from her husband, and Kaiser Welf would once again seek to fulfill his fleshly desires in the warm embrace of another youthful woman. This time he would find his eye drawn to the English beauty of Princess Mathilde de Normndie. She had been brought to Bavaria after her father had died and the English crown passed to King Richard.

2013-03-09_00060_zpsc830a206.jpg

For a while it seemed Kaiser Welf was once again happy. Mathilde during the commencement of their courtship seemed to please him in the same ways as Gerberga, and this time Kaiserin Velasquita was more than happy to allow the Kaiser to pursue his desires with another woman. Thus, the love between Mathilde and Kaiser Welf began to bloom.

2013-03-09_00062_zpse5116c70.jpg

so fruitful Kaiser! Iam a bit afraid with all these children though....

He is getting fruitful with the new wife. Quite a few kids now, guess it has potential to add some more excitement :)

Chapter L - Kaiser Welf "the Careless"

Chapter L - Kaiser Welf "the Careless"​

A few weeks after Kaiser Welf commenced his love affair with Princess Mathilde de Normandie, who had come to court in the womb of her mother a few years after he had regained a the throne of Bavaria, news from Hungary would come that the war for Imeretia had been won. It was a small gain but slowly King Welf of Hungary was gaining the land back that he had granted independence to a few short years ago. It was tedious work reintegrating all those small Arpad fiefs back into the kingdom but Welf VIII proved diligent enough to handle the task.

2013-03-09_00065_zps20d2a0e0.jpg

It was after receiving that news, that Princess Mathilde informed the Kaiser she was pregnant. This time his lover had no husband to blame the child upon so it would become apparent to everyone at court that Kaiser Welf was having an affair. He feared what would happen if Velasquita discovered this, he knew the Jimena women were quick to temper and very vicious when angered.

So the Kaiser sought out a member of his family, a distant kinsman by the name of Bernabo Welf. The elderly man a mere 10 years older than the Kaiser was a sinner as well, whoring about Munchen and various Italian cities living off his small pension for being a Welf. The Kaiser offered to pray with Bernabo in hopes of both of them receiving some sort of forgiveness in the eyes of their Lord and Savior.

2013-03-09_00069_zps396763ae.jpg
2013-03-09_00066_zps07e322d8.jpg
2013-03-09_00068_zpsb560e17a.jpg

They spent the whole night praying in the chapel and as the morning sun slowly rose in the East, the Kaiser felt a weight lifted off of his shoulders. Bernabo too seemed to be uplifted and showed his gratitude to the Kaiser. They talked at length after that, about the years before the Kaiser usurped the von Rheinfelden crown, about his dreams of Welf dominion over Europe and also family matters. It was a pleasant conversation, and Bernabo even offered his services wishing he could be like Augustin Welf, but it was more than apparent that Bernabo lacked the wit to be even half the man that Augustin had been.

A few months after the prayer Kaiser Welf's Spymaster Duke Anselm of Ferrara came to Munchen, bearing news. "My lord," the Duke said bowing, "It has come to my attention that the Duke of Croatia Gaspar Trpimirovic has been conspiring with certain factions that seek to reinstate his dynasty upon the Croatian throne."

2013-03-09_00070_zps4ac2da4e.jpg

The Kaiser chuckled at this, the Trpimirovic's were still a force to be reckoned with even after he had stolen the crown. They still for the most part owned a large majority of the lands of Croatia and had yet to be happy about being ruled over by a German, and even less happy about being part of the Empire. They had even gained quite a bit of power by taking control of Duchies in other Slavic lands.

"Remind Duke Gaspar of his obligations to us," the Kaiser ordered. "And also Duke Anselm, remind our wayward cousin that if he continues to seek our deposition that he will be brought to Munchen and become the newest tenant of Giselbert's Abode."

With that the Spymaster bowed and left, and a month later a letter came from Croatia bearing the seal of Duke Gaspar. The letter stated that he accepted his obligations as a vassal to the Kaiser and would no longer confide in further conspiracies against the Welf Family.

2013-03-09_00071_zps094ffcc0.jpg

With that the year 1178 would begin once again with various Kings petitioning the Kaiser for Imperial Levies to bolster their offensive wars. This time it was the Jimena King of Aragon, seeking assistance in his Holy War for Valencia. Kaiser Welf would agree, and begin raising his levies for service in Iberia. The next petition was from his son the King of Hungary requesting his assistance in reclaiming the Duchy of Crimea. To this the Kaiser also agreed, raising even more levies for a return to the steppes.

2013-03-09_00072_zps4f835ee8.jpg
2013-03-09_00073_zpsb5fd64b6.jpg
2013-03-09_00074_zpsf56d5ac9.jpg

In May of that year Princess Mathilde de Normandie would give birth to Kaiser Welf's second bastard daughter named Berta. But fearing reprisals from Velasquita he scorned the child and her mother and claimed that the child was not his. Mathilde was not pleased by this, but she still loved the Kaiser and hoped that one day they could be married, and began to slowly plot against the life of her rival the Kaiserin Velasquita Jimena.

2013-03-09_00075_zps09e20cd9.jpg

With all this going on the Kaiser lost his patience. He could no longer turn the other cheek, and in his old age grew easier to annoy, and quicker to anger. It was said that with the birth of Berta so to was an anger born in his Imperial Highness Kaiser Welf. Not to mention the fact that the Kaiser was growing into a careless lustful bastard siring ruler.

2013-03-09_00076_zpsd987b8c8.jpg

Late in the summer the Kaiser received a letter from his Grandson Prince Welf IX's regent in Toulouse, stating that there was a large rebellion and if the Kaiser wished his grandson to survive the year he would lend aid and arms in his defense. Welf knowing the trouble that his grandson could be facing quickly agreed and raised the remainder of the Imperial levies and sent them on their way to Toulouse.

2013-03-09_00077_zpsfb22b4a3.jpg

As the year 1178 came to an end, the population of Munchen had blossomed the once small quaint village outside the castle into a large and booming city. It was becoming a center of trade, merchants from all corners of Europe were heard in the marketplaces, all of this led to rumors and loose tongues. Within the city, and the beer hall that Jourdain d'Aubonne had once frequented years ago, the patrons had begun to refer to their Kaiser as the Careless. Everyone had learned he was the true father of Berta, there was no denying that. And many thought he was the father of Richenza as well, for he never allowed her out of his sight and had taken her under his wing as her ward and tutor. It was his sexual encounters and his choice of mates that led him to being denoted as Careless, for any sovereign that wished to maintain a stable realm after his death would surely be more careful in the production of potential bastard pretenders.

2013-03-09_00080_zpsb9a86912.jpg

Many more children :p Another serie of wars to assist ....It seems that his routine can explain carelessness :p

Yeah many more children! Having too many, and if I remember right there will be even more little Welf's born. I was a little surprised when the game popped up saying Welf was now known as "the Careless" but when I got to thinking about his love life it did make sense. And hopefully Imperial arms will be enough to save both his son and his grandson.