• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Konair0s

Komisarz ludowy
49 Badges
Jul 28, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
Hello.

So, I have found this question was asked here several times but all the topics are slightly outdated. In lights of Steam being ported on GNU/Linux and hypothetical Valve's plans on this platform - has Paradox Interactive any thoughts about it? Was support of modern and future games for OS X (it is Mac OS X, by the way - just officially it is called "OS X") and GNU/Linux even considered? I know that these platforms have pretty low market share among desktop computers, Humble Bundles show that users are willing to pay, and pay more then Windows users.

Also, I found funny post from 2006:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-mac-support&p=5633201&viewfull=1#post5633201

But i'm pretty sure it'll be doomsday before we have a pdox game ported to linux.

UPD: I mean games developed by Paradox themselves, of course, not just published - Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Victoria, Crusader Kings, etc.

CK2 runs fine on Mac, and will be on Linux when Steam goes live.

Hopefully, all games EU4 and forward will be Mac & Linux compatible.

So we can expect CK2 for the open beta phase of the linux client or did you mean the release version next year?

I assume for the release version since the Steam beta is now an open to everyone. And I doubt Paradox would release a port of a game directly before Christmas.

Last edited:

Hopefully, all games EU4 and forward will be Mac & Linux compatible.

thankyou :D

I may have to start buying this one on Steam, rather than Gamersgate, then. Kudos on Linux support. Will one purchase get me both versions?

yes - i installed the linux steam beta today and my windows TF2 was downloadable in linux format :)

does anyone know if you can transfer a gamersgate version (CK2) over to steam so i could benefit from this

I may have to start buying this one on Steam, rather than Gamersgate, then. Kudos on Linux support. Will one purchase get me both versions?

Yeah, if you buy it on Steam you should then be able to use the same purchase on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. That is currently how it works with Mac and Windows so I do not see why Linux would be different. Also most other Steam games work like this AFAIK.

yes - i installed the linux steam beta today and my windows TF2 was downloadable in linux format :)

does anyone know if you can transfer a gamersgate version (CK2) over to steam so i could benefit from this

Excellent news; keep in mind that the devs only said that their new games, starting with EU4, will have Linux versions. If they do release a Linux version of CK2 at some point, I hope there will be some support for those of us who bought on Gamersgate.

Edit: Pardon; he said “CK2 runs fine on Mac, and will be on Linux when Steam goes live.”

Last edited:
Excellent news; keep in mind that the devs only said that their new games, starting with EU4, will have Linux versions. If they do release a Linux version of CK2 at some point, I hope there will be some support for those of us who bought on Gamersgate.

Johan said:

I am pretty sure Johan's post means CK2, EU4 and and all games after EU4. March of Eagles might also be ported to Linux too since it is a Clausewitz 4 game just like CK2 and EU4, but Johan's post does not say anything about it. East vs West will most likely not be ported since it is s Clausewitz 3 game.

I am pretty sure Johan's post means CK2, EU4 and and all games after EU4. March of Eagles might also be ported to Linux too since it is a Clausewitz 4 game just like CK2 and EU4, but Johan's post does not say anything about it. East vs West will most likely not be ported since it is s Clausewitz 3 game.

The current game engine, which CKII and EU4 uses, is Clausewitz II. We do not have Clausewitz 3 or 4, yet :p March of the Eagles is a Clausewitz I game and I don't know what East vs West uses.

The current game engine, which CKII and EU4 uses, is Clausewitz II. We do not have Clausewitz 3 or 4, yet :p March of the Eagles is a Clausewitz I game and I don't know what East vs West uses.

Thank for correcting me. I have no idea why I thought it was 3 and 4 rather than 1 and 2. :)