• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Praetonia

Admiral of the Red
19 Badges
Jun 30, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I was recently playing a test game for a mod I have made where the British Commonwealth is run as one country. It has around 207IC. This is not really important but just so what follows doesn't sound strange -

I played as British Raj and just watched the events in Europe. Britain, Germany and USSR all seemed to be building a lot of factories. At least, Britain's IC rose from 207 to almost 300 base IC by the time the war broke out. Germany and USSR also seemed to have growing base IC faster than annexations would suggest, though of course it is harder to tell. This is in sharp contrast to Japan whose base IC remained constant at around 90.

Since factories tend to favour the long game and Britain is definitely a long game nation, when I loaded up for my first game I decided to try to replicate what the AI had done. I'm looking at ~275 base IC just before the war, with very few upgrades, behind historical schedule with ship building, no new land divisions and only 10 INT completed. So is this just a mistake? Does the AI of all these great powers build a lot of factories in peacetime - in the Commonwealth's case it suggested about 30 factories in parallel each year before the war - and is this a good idea?

It's a known issue with the AI that it builds too much IC in peacetime. AI also doesn't get IC penalties from dissent, so they can generally outproduce a human player.

This is base IC specifically. It shouldn't go up with events.

Anyway, interesting that the AI overproduces. My feeling is that as UK, provided there is enough sea and air built to survive the first year or two of the war, you should match AI German building even if the AI is itself overproducing IC. This is because the UK can't really hope to win the war before the factories pay off.

With hindsight I would have at least made more INT and carriers (although I find it gamey to spam carriers before the war - and with the long build times it's very difficult to spam them afterwards). I was also trying to nerf myself a little by sticking to a low-build schedule before the war because the HoI2 AI is not spectacular. And I suppose the situation I've ended up in is only about the same as the one the RL Britain did.

Mostly I was worried there was some mechanism giving the AI extra base IC for free, because they didn't seem to be particularly behind in other production. That may have been also due to their not having peacetime penalties, of course.

IC building is a waste with pretty much any nation in the 1936 scenario.

There might be a corner case for extra tech slots, but even those are arguable.

I have modded the AI files so that UK, USA, Ger, Sov and Fra no longer build IC in the 36 scenario.

Can you please tell me how you did this? I have modded many other files, but have never touched the AI files for the fear of wrecking the game.

Open the relevant .ai files, and look for this section, and modify the 'force_ic_until'

Code:
	ic_at_war = yes 
	force_ic_until = 1935  <<-- Change this to the last date of building
	ic_end_year = 1940
	IC_provs = { }