• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks good - shame the protectionist Americans are taxing your business interests to the hilt (maybe it's because Honest Abe has been dead for a few years at this time? ;)).

From reading this and other AARs, it seems that the businessmen possess staggering sums of money to make up for their utter lack of sense. Shown by such genius acts as importing things that are produced in abundance domestically, for about five times their domestic cost. Do they ever bring in anything good?

really like the care you are taking to set this out and how things are developing. Re diplomacy, I'd push the options they can't refuse (support, access etc) and trade with them, try to get things to +25, then push for commercial agreements and state visits - at the moment I suspect you are going to get knocked back everytime you ask.

keep using the sewer option, it both increases development level and population growth so its a really good option in your most populous provinces

the 'tax your businessmen' is permanent, in effect its whatever rate they tax domestic production.

as to the random imports - yeah some are pretty dim but on balance for a power that can't afford to trade aggressively for luxuries they are a useful tool to obtain some ... & in turn that helps boost domestic contentment

Looks good - shame the protectionist Americans are taxing your business interests to the hilt (maybe it's because Honest Abe has been dead for a few years at this time? ;)).

From reading this and other AARs, it seems that the businessmen possess staggering sums of money to make up for their utter lack of sense. Shown by such genius acts as importing things that are produced in abundance domestically, for about five times their domestic cost. Do they ever bring in anything good?
Actually the last time I checked, Honest Abe was still President of the United States, might have changed though.

The merchantmen on many occasions bring joyous things like Gems and Gold, which I get a staggering amount of taxes (excise) from... my state funds are usually pretty healthy since I produce silk domestically.
They also sometimes bring me 'common goods' of things I don't get, or the market is too small to get a piece of, like sugar and rum which helps keep my contentment high.

really like the care you are taking to set this out and how things are developing. Re diplomacy, I'd push the options they can't refuse (support, access etc) and trade with them, try to get things to +25, then push for commercial agreements and state visits - at the moment I suspect you are going to get knocked back everytime you ask.

keep using the sewer option, it both increases development level and population growth so its a really good option in your most populous provinces

the 'tax your businessmen' is permanent, in effect its whatever rate they tax domestic production.

as to the random imports - yeah some are pretty dim but on balance for a power that can't afford to trade aggressively for luxuries they are a useful tool to obtain some ... & in turn that helps boost domestic contentment
I'm usually a fan of gold, gems, rum and sugar...
I do plan to 'spam' the sewer option on Edo after the Boshin war, for now I'm just developing the southern portions of Japan since I'm confident they won't switch to the rebels.

Actually the last time I checked, Honest Abe was still President of the United States, might have changed though.

I assumed that, PON being as rigidly deterministic as it sometimes is, that Abe would've been assassinated in 1865. Maybe it depends on whether the American Civil War happened?

If you wouldn't mind, could you please remind me when the Boshin war is supposed to break out?

I assumed that, PON being as rigidly deterministic as it sometimes is, that Abe would've been assassinated in 1865. Maybe it depends on whether the American Civil War happened?

If you wouldn't mind, could you please remind me when the Boshin war is supposed to break out?
Going by Kenshin's AAR, Late March 1868 is when it fired for him.

Trying to play Japan right now and getting really frustrated that the colonial options haven't opened up yet (right now I have only the military and bribe options).

Does any Japan player know when you're supposed to get access to them? I'm in the late 1870s, the civil war came and went (though the Shogun's army in Edo mysteriously disappeared suddenly. Maybe a glitch that's causing all my trouble?), and the Edo Republic was crushed years ago. Every region back to 100% loyal.

Still no colonial options though. Are there certain technologies I have to research?

OK, you won. This week-end is the week-end where I retry to play PoN.

I guess I ll go for Prussia. Sable-rattling can be fun. Plus I don't want to get into "colonials".

OK, you won. This week-end is the week-end where I retry to play PoN.

I guess I ll go for Prussia. Sable-rattling can be fun. Plus I don't want to get into "colonials".

For extra fun you could try joining the two MP (one yet to start) games going on at AGEOD.

Unfortunately, that's a no-no, mostly because my GF would hang me by ....

... by the city house hostel.