• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Acularius

Lt. General
133 Badges
Aug 9, 2007
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Pride of Nations
  • Deus Vult
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
Hello all, generally I am beginning this single player AAR (as a new player generally, so forgive my mistakes) as Japan. Why Japan? I tend to enjoy the opportunities that came its way during this period of time.
That and it was the first nation I clicked out when PON was released.
Then I left it to the wayside, relatively untouched in the 1850's.
To spare everyone the long buildup, I decided to wait until Meiji came to power before I would start this... well, that time has come, Meiji has recently became the Emperor of Japan in Late February of 1867. [Followed by me writing this and dropping like a rock in my bed]

MeijiLateFeb1867.png

(Future note: Going to make these smaller)

This chap shall rule henceforth until 1912, so the story goes, lets make it an interesting one.
Feel free to ask for any screen shot of where I am currently as we go as for now I will just give an overview.

Economy
Initially at the beginning of the game, I lured European Traders into the North Asian Maritime Zone with promises of Rice and Silk, focusing on this I further went to expand such industries until I could no longer expand on the mainland. Some time later, the ability to construct railroads became known and thus after an experiment I learnt that I could import Steel from the traders. [I was a 'Closed' country, and thus assumed importing anything was a silly thing to even try.]

This lead to the construction of the first railroad being placed in Edo (present day Tokyo), in order to improve the Manufactured Goods factory already present, as well as improve the output of the Silk Plantation and Rice farms.
Later, it was to be discovered that the traders LOVED Tobacco, and thus this industry was developed and exported to further the Private funds to use in expansion.
Using excess Private Capital and MfG's lead to the expansion of my trade networks in Europe and the Americas...
Shipbuilding was promoted initially in Yokohama, but spread to Nagasaki and lastly Hiroshima (where private merchant initiatives loved building their merchant fleets)

Eventually this lead to a STRONG export economy where for the longest time the biggest imports was Steel and Coal, initially from America but as the Trade Network expanded, from North Germany (Prussia).
Before the beginning of the 1860's, all of the Japanese provinces had railroads connecting them, even the mountainous regions, initially only Toyama (for the eventually expansion of the Nitrates) and Fukushima (due to the only place that made Steel aside from Craftsmen, the Arms Shop).

With the 60's came the introduction of the Steel furnace, which was built in Sendai to lessen our dependence on imports of Steel from Germany.
As (red) events eventually locked me out of unit building due to low loyalty in the 60's, this lead me to develop the economy a bit more.
It was discovered that Luxury factories are a great business, and easy to export the excess.
Following the economic crash from France (to be done many times), the Civil War, and a war erupting between Great Britain and Austria (due to a crisis from a Diplomat's hurt feelings), the Textile industry was free game.
It was tentative at first, but as the Sepoy Rebellions raged and the Anglo-Austro-Hungarian war stagnated, the Textile industry was slowly expanded to supply a growing demand on the world market.
Following the end of the American Civil War which took the lives of 700,000 Americans, the merchants of Japan decided to invest in 3 Oil fields around San Francisco, 2 of which were seized following the events in '64 where an American Legation was attacked.
Foreign investment was halted in general, until a spree of Private Capital, from the textile trades lead to investment of Tropical Fruits and a Railroad in Okinawa leading to a huge expansion of investment into the American Tobacco , with the building of 5 plantations, and Coal , with the building of 4 coal pits, industries.

Further warm relations with America are likely to ensure this investment stays with Japan.
Overall, I have 38 factories located in Japan, mosst of it concentrated in Edo, Kyoto, Yokohama, Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

Military & Research
I have 1 Guard Corp stationed in Kyoto, and 3 Infantry-H Corps, located in Nagasaki, Edo and Sendai.
I had nothing else to spend my state funds on, so I focused a lot of it on tech research... as such, these soldiers as equipped with Breech Loaded Rifles and Iron Breech-loaded Cannons...
I neglected my Navy, and on the side put a lot of state funds into industries that would further my exports...
v
On a side note, 'Industrialized Silk Farms', to this day, I only have upgraded 3 of, which only caused a minor collapse of silk prices. To this day I have not upgraded any more silk farms lest the price which has normalized should crash again.
If one has a monopoly, milk it. :p

This was generally off the top of my head, events and general things I remember leading up to Japan in its current state.
If you have any questions on the world, feel free to ask, I am more than happy to oblige.

The missions I once had were to, lead the world in the production of rice and fish. Rice was easy, since it exported so well and thus allowed more Rice farms to be built.
Fish, was left to be preserved or rot... Even after building all the possible Rice farms, and railroading most of the production sites, somewhere was better than Japan. :(
Fish, I stopped bothering and decided that efforts were better spent elsewhere... that and Fishyards were getting more and more expensive. In an area like Japan where the only flat place is Edo, and the rest is Hills, Wooded Hills and Mountainous... yeah, the costs were getting quite high considering that fish did not export well enough.
Only recently have those fishyards been exporting well. Trend started in '65, with the 3rd World Economic Crisis started by France, although the missions have since long been over.

Last edited:
Nice to see another PON AAR! I admire what must be your zen like patient to take on Japan and also concur it is a good place to start a Japanese AAR as she begins her journey to empire.

Have you reached the point where you get the full range of colonial options? Out of interest what were the inital game settings ie Are you playing historical spheres of influence?

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Thank you for skipping the berginning. Those can be... tiresome.

Now it is time to have everyone coprosper in Asia !

PON AAR's are some of my favourite, good luck.

PON AAR's are some of my favourite, good luck.
Thanks

Thank you for skipping the berginning. Those can be... tiresome.

Now it is time to have everyone coprosper in Asia !
It proved interesting in its own time, particularily when foreigners were being attacked left and right leading to a long term Casus Belli against me from Amerca, France and Britain.
America I was still friendly with, Great Britain is still locked down in her own mess, and France... is France, I don't know why she didn't flex her military muscle.
I'm hoping for a friendlier version of the Co-Prosperity Sphere in the Pacific.

Seriously though, it is currently turn 412, Late February 1867.

Nice to see another PON AAR! I admire what must be your zen like patient to take on Japan and also concur it is a good place to start a Japanese AAR as she begins her journey to empire.

Have you reached the point where you get the full range of colonial options? Out of interest what were the inital game settings ie Are you playing historical spheres of influence?

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
Zen like patience, as in doing other things as the turn progressed... yes. That even includes learning about Japanese history of the Meiji era. XD

I think I used the options, in my opinion, that might have made for an interesting game.
Game Settings:
Fog of War: On
Activation Rule: Large Movement and Combat penalty if the stack commander is not active. (I have a better idea of what this means now)
Randomized Generals: Strongly (Sounded interesting)
Force Pool: +200% (Sounded interesting, and yes this is a main reason for a lot of choices... I also figure the AI enjoys this as well)
Extended SOI: Is on (I haven't been able to colonize yet)
Leader Redeployment: I get one usage, the AI gets 3. ( I don't think I played around with this option)
Delayed commitment: Small
Attrition: Historical for both (If Russia is going to march a death stack through Siberia, then yes, she should suffer for it.)
Ext. Structure Pool: +200% (Similar rationale to the Force Pool)
Extended Claims: On (Have yet to seen this been used)

nice overview & interesting idea to start the AAR at the stage where Japan can move onto the world stage
I don't think she can move onto the world stage just yet, but the Boshin War is fast upcoming and I think the colonialism isn't TOO far off to being viable.
The Formosa Expedition in 1874 is much closer than when it was in the 50's.

Last edited:
just to say about your options. Historical attrtion means the AI takes attrition losses even when on a depot, it would take attrition for being out of supply regardless of the option (so indeed if the Russians went bonkers in Siberia then they would take losses regardless). In general the AI really struggles to sort out the consequences of such a drain on its standing army.

but it should produce a very different wider world than some of the other AARs knocking around

just to say about your options. Historical attrtion means the AI takes attrition losses even when on a depot, it would take attrition for being out of supply regardless of the option (so indeed if the Russians went bonkers in Siberia then they would take losses regardless). In general the AI really struggles to sort out the consequences of such a drain on its standing army.

but it should produce a very different wider world than some of the other AARs knocking around

I'm taking losses as well, sitting in a more moderate area known as Japan. XD

My biggest concern, and it will mark my gameplay as Japan in general, is my reliance on foreign coal... even with my foreign enterprises in America, or the need to import it, I still need to rely on another nation.
I also know that historically as time went on, the fear of a global coal shortage became more prevalent definitely due to a few scares that hit the market during that time. This is one of the reasons, if I remember correctly for the switch to oil, once the technology to do so became more readily available.
Asia wise, aside from Korea and China, there really isn't many places to get coal from.
On that note, most of my objectives are in China, with one objective in Brunei (Kuching) [and Korea (Seoul)] which I'm going to have to make a rush for before the Dutch and Brits take it...
I'm hoping that with the British AI locked down in India and Austria that she won't be able to make the same push colonially as she would have normally, since the Dutch don't quite have the same influence as they do.
As for Russia, I know we are going to be locking heads, seeing as I get a hefty amount of prestige from controlling Manchuria and Korea, we are going to be at each other's throats about it at some point.

Currently my relations with America are around 40, and without any foreseeable relation shocks due to events in the future, this should be easy enough to maintain and allow me to continue business there.
Eventually I want to do something similar to Britain, for her colonial possessions around the world, but we will eventually butt heads over the Pacific I suppose.

I shall read with interest. I believe PON is a great game, but I don't know that I'll ever experience that greatness first-hand - it just requires so much investment of time before you get anywhere, and time is just about my most precious commodity. So instead, I'll just read the AARs. :)

On that note, I'll be resuming this AAR shortly, as the snowstorm has given me more time to do so.

Early March to Late June, 1867 [Death of Emperor Komei]
Early March -

A bunch of new options just popped up, HUZZAH!
Government:
Improve Education System (It doesn't look like it actually improves my literacy, just another method of lowering militancy aside from the Aristocracy)
Improve Social Protection: Lowers militancy for a large amount of money, but increases militancy for the Upper Class and Aristocracy.
Electoral Census: Lowers Militancy and Improves contentment across the board. (Hello option!) Lowers NM and a small PP loss if failed though. :(
Referendum and Plebiscite: Same as the above.

Military:
Impose General Conscription: Maybe after the Boshin War...

Regional Census:
Limit Nobility Priveledges: Increase contentment and lower militancy on everything but, you guessed it, the aristocracy.

To put this in perspective,
65% of my population is Peasants, 26% are Workers, 5% comprise the Middle Class, 3% the Aristocracy, and 1% the Upper Class.
Sitting at 60% literacy, 100% of the Japanese population follow the religion of Shinto (100% of the population is Japanese), with 100% contentment and ~1 militantism.

Population buys 92/92 units of Food, 76/76 Common Goods, and 45/50 Luxury Goods.

Going to try out the 'Improve Education System' option.

Also, during this turn, Emperor Komei died (event wise) and the Amur Gold rush happened for Russia.
EarlyMarch-EmperorKomeidied_zps5e9fca88.png

Death of Emperor Komei
EarlyMarch-AmurRiverGoldRush_zpsd0aa2fa8.png

Amur River Gold rush

Late March -
A little note, I gain 85 State funds from the Census Tax at 3%, and 24 State Funds from the Maritime Tax, at 5%.
I gain ~80 from Corporate Taxes (7%), ~280 from the Excise Tax (43%), and ~60 from Tariffs (15%)
Private Capital wise, I export to the World Market around 1244 PC, domestically I sell 851 PC, no imports currently while using 1055 PC for production.
If my export drops, I would be forced to close down a considerable amount of my industries.

Apparently improving the Education system DOES improve literacy, although it makes no mention of it. I went from 60% to 62%.
Also, a Manufactured Goods Shop finished in Edo.

Furthermore, to fuel our fleets and Railways, we use 12 coal every 15 days (12 coal/turn).

Military wise, I decide to move Hohei Bugyo (3 star leader) Takenaka Shigekata [3-3-3] to Kyoto, and his Heavy Infantry Corp [Dai-2 Gun] to meet up with Daimyo (2 star) Moro Takachika [3-5-1] who is in command of the Guard Corp (Dai-1 Gun), Light Infantry Brigade (Hohei Dao-1 Ryodan), Artillery Regiment (Houhei Dai-1 Ryodan), Field Hospital (Dai-1 Iryoutai), Signal Regiment (Dai-1 Shingoutai), and the Ballon detachment (Barun Dai-1 Daitai).
Overall, Takenaka has 48 command, with a combined power of 829.
Mori, has a command of 15 ( 2 from the Signal Detachment, and 1 from the Balloon), with a combined power of 1286.
It'll take 4 days for Takenaka to reach Kyoto by train.

Island Spotlight,
Kyushu.
Home to half of Japan's coal deposits (2 in Nagasaki and 1 in Kagashima), this area is known for its massive Naval Base and modest Industrial complex in Nagasaki.
With a size 20 Naval yard, complete with complimenting Shipbuilding facilities, Kyushu is known for its role in the tentative introducion of Japanese Textiles on the World Market. It also supports a small Tobacco industry in Fukuoka
Nagasaki:
Size 8, Level 20 Naval Base, Onohame Shipyard (Shipbuilding)
Nagasaki Linen (Textile Shop)
Imperial Art Arsenal (Arms Shop) [Needed more native Steel]
Canned Food Shop (It is what it is)

Kagashima:
Size 8, level 3 harbour (not modified)
Kabusho Yarn Factory (Textile Shop)

Fukuoka:
Size 7, level 2 harbour (not modified)
Tomioka Yarn Factory (Textile Shop)

Early April -
Several things just finished up in their respective queues. The Pre-Industrial Forts in Hiroshima, Kyoto and Yokohama to Industrial Forts.
Furthermore the Naval Base extension in Yokohama finished up (Now size 10) and I immediately queued up another extension.

Mori and Takenaka's army were merged up, and I moved one supply wagon into the stack from my supply wagon stack, in hopes that it provides a bonus to have supply and ammunition within a stack, and not in a separate stack nearby.
Either way, the stack is now inside Kyoto, with a combined power of 1954.

A plucky businessman this turn acquired 14 units of sugar for 500 pounds. (Sugar is currently, 6 pounds/unit)

Island Spotlight,
Shikoku, (Only one city on it, but it deserves its glory.)

Matsuyama (size 8) is actual a pretty rich city, it might not have silk but what it DOES have is Tea and Tobacco, both of which export incredibly easy.
Past that, there isn't much to report about Matsuyama, other than the Luxury Goods factory that was built to supply the demand from greedy Europeans. It has a size 2 harbour, but I haven't decided if I want to do anything in terms of upgrading its naval capacity like I have with Nagasaki, Hiroshima and Yokohama.

Late April -
Okay, well I respect this businessman a little bit more than the one in Early April... Bought 26 units of Gold (GOLD! EXCISE TAX WHOOOOOOO!, I mean, 24 pounds/unit)
On a different note, Matsuyama and Hiroshima finished up the improvements to their sewer systems. I proceeded to plot those down again on both of them since they are currently sitting at 98% development.
100% development league of cities: Edo, Kyoto, Yokohama and Nagasaki.

Island Spotlight,
Southern Honshu,
Since Honshu is the main and largest of the Japanese islands, I'm going to separate it into 3 parts. South, Central and North Honshu. Southern Honshu shall consist of Kobe and Hiroshima,

Hiroshima,
Is the largest developed urban center in Japan currently, and seems to be the popular building spot for Merchant ships by plucky Plutocrats. Either way, the Urban development of Hiroshima is 10, with a size 20 Naval Yard, complimented by Mitsubishi Shipbuilding facilities.
To diversify my Manufactured Goods production (MfGs) I built the Manufactured Goods Shop (The one that requires Machine Parts). Hiroshima also took part in the initial construction of Luxury Goods factories (Suntory), as well and currently has a Textile Shop (Konebo Bosekisyo) about 270 days away from completion.
Past that, Hiroshima's most notable natural resource is 1 source of Cotton, the others being fish and wood.

Kobe,
Largely ignored by its brother city Hiroshima in Southern Honshu, Kobe is known for the largest source of cattle (2 slots) in all of Japan, so its actually a pretty good region. Unfortunately Hiroshima just steals all the spotlight due to Mercantile preference. However Kobe does sport a nice Textile Shop (Sakai Bosekisyo), and you guessed it for its other natural resource... More Fish.
FISH EVERYWHERE!

Early May -

The businessmen are either getting smarter, or foretelling doom. I'm hoping for the prior instead of the latter as he picked up 23 Gems for the 'low price' of 750 pounds. Either way, more Excise tax!. (Gems are 20 pounds/unit)

In other news, Junes commercial! [I wonder if anyone gets this reference, if so say 'Un-bear-able'... I mean, we have finished up researching 'Mendelian Genetics' and 'Le Bon Marche (Funny e reminder, Quebecois keyboard GO!)', which unlocked 'Social Darwinism' and 'Mail-Order Catalogues'
Le Bon Marche increases the demands for all the groups (Foods, Common and Luxury) in both Colonial and non-Colonial, by 10%.
Mendelian Genetics seems to increase the growth rate of my Japanese population, so Huzzah! Although, I wonder what a monk and his pea plant experiments have to do with the Japanese population... growing more.
Quick, a relevant biology question, if both parents have Blood type O (A recessive allele), what will their child's blood type be?
Answer: If you guess Blood type O, you are correct.

I check my Assets Balance every so often, I tend to like my reserves to be at least 50 units, or 3 times the demand... suffice to say, my mineral reserves are sitting at 46, and I'm producing 15 a turn, with a demand of 20. I need to correct this so I'm upgrading my only Mineral Mine in Yamagata to a Mineral Pit, which will cost a mechanical parts and coal, but its will upgrade in one turn in comparison to building one from scratch.
Currently I am trying to deplete several of my overabundant stocks.

Island Spotlight,
Central Honshu. [Kyoto, Osaka, Nagano, Nagoya, Yokohama, Edo]

Kyoto (Size 8)
A nice place, has only 1 source of Tea and has 5 factories in the area. Ammunition Shop (Powder Manufactory), Luxury Goods Shop (Japanese artifacts), Military Gear, Chemical Lab (Kaneho Ltd), a Textile shop (Senju Woolen Mill).

Osaka (Size 8)
Osaka has 3 factories in it, a Manufactured Goods shop (Japanese Crafts), Canned Food Shop (known as 'Canned Food Shop'), and a Textile Shop (Aich Bosekisyo). Past that Osaka has some Rice, Cereals, one source of cattle and minerals.

Nagano (Size 6)
Is a mountainous region and although I put a railroad through it, I don't have any designs to further industrialize it due to the extreme costs of building factories on a mountain. It has a Furniture Shop (Nagano Furnitures), while the area is a source for minerals, wood, dyes and rice.

Nagoya (Size 8)
A Textile shop (Nippon Textiles) and a Canned Food shop (No name). No special designs on the place anymore, although it does boast 2 sources of silk (HELL YEAH!) and a source of tea... which is pretty damn good on the world market.

Yokohama (Size 8)
A fantastic place. It boasts, or use to boast a size 20 harbour, but bugged out when I upgraded it to 'Naval Base' (IJN Dockyard Yokohama), so it only stands at about size 10, but I'm constantly in the process of upgrading it... currently 90 days until the next level is done. It also sports a complimenting Shipbuilding facility, known as Uraga Dock Co. It also has 2 factories currently finished and another 15 days away from completion (Late May, essentially). The Canned Food Shop, and a Textile shop (Shimmachi Silk Mill), while the Luxury Goods Shop is due to completion next turn.
Also sports a lovely level 1 Industrial level fort which I may regret in the coming Boshin war. Fish, rice and cereal... and I stand by what I said about fish being EVERYWHERE.

Edo (Size 8)
Is the flattest area in ALL of Japan, classified as a 'Rice field' (which I would imagine just means... 'farmland'). It has a level 2 harbour, that I may upgrade later on while also having a level 2 industrial fort. It is also the most industrialized part of ALL of Japan, with its 8 factories. Canned Food Shop (Edo Food Co.), a Textile shop (Kashima Bosekisyo), Canned Food Shop (Need more Mfg.s and I had a lot of 'Preserved Food, still do.), Ammunition Shop (Government Ordnance Plant), Mechanical Factory (Edamitsu Ironworks), Luxury Goods Shop, and a Manufactured Goods Shop (Chinriu Honten Food). Tokyo has silk, fish, rice and cereal sources. Although this might be obvious, but in the upcoming 'Boshin War', Tokyo will be a priority for recapture due to the investments made.

Late May -
Some techs finished researching, 'Commodities Futures Trading' (10% to buy a product in competition for another nation), 'Repeal of Newspaper Taxes' (2% to max modifier of cnsus and corporate taxes) and 'Income Taxes'(20 point modifier to max percentage of income tax)... so Late May was the time of increased taxing opportunities and better merchants. The Luxury Goods Shop in Yokohama finished up, my Mineral Pit has finished upgrading (called Sulphur Pits) allowing me to stop importing minerals from Prussia and Great Britain, and my Cereal Farms in South Jersey (USA) finished construction. Our Business men earned 38 pounds from transport fees, but spent 750 pounts on 20 units of rum (8 pounds/unit). Licking our wounds, the Census tax gave use 85 pounds, and the maritime tax gave us 24.

Island Spotlight,
North Honshu. [Yoyama, Niigata, Fukushima, Sendai, Yamagata]

Toyama (size 6)
Has fish and nitrate sources... that all that it has. Aside from a railroad to ensure the best output of nitrates, I don't plan to do much with a mountainous region.

Niigata (size 6)
Similar reasons to Toyama, only that it provides 1 source of wood, minerals and iron respectively.

Fukushima (size 7)
In general I haven't really industrialized, aside from a few factories in North Honshu, anything north of Nagano. Fukushima does however support a Luxury Goods Shop (Tomioka Silk Mill) while providing a source of Iron and Wood.

Sendai (size 6)
Has a harbour and boasts a Steel Factory (Yawata Steel), because I thought it would be awesome to place it in Sendai. It provides a source of coal, wood and fish. Past that, not much going for the North.

Yamagata (size 6)
For the longest time, this is the only 'factory' source of steel and was a high priority for railroads when they became available. The Arms Shop (Katana Co.) is the only factory here though since it is a mountainous area and I tend to avoid them like the plague. Another reason why it had high priority is the 2 sources of silk here, as well as wool, iron and minerals.

Early June -
Our genius businessmen decided that 27 units of silk for 750 pounds is a brilliant idea... considering we export 30 units of silk every 15 days, I begin to wonder. Definitely at 5 pounds a unit of silk. We also mastered 'Brown Prismatic Powder', which allows us to learn about 'Breech Loaded Guns' for our navy which will obsolete 9 generation models. We mastered 'Exploration of the African Interior', which grants us an easier time to keep our upper class and aristocrats content (20% modifier to contentment points), as well.

Island Spotlight.

Hokkaido [Hakodate and Sapporo]
On a whole, both these places are decent, but I don't think I'll use them much other than for the sources of wood, iron, fish and coal which both places produce. Hakodate will probably get some industry later, but for now, resources are all I need from Hakkaido.

Late June -
24 units of Opium for 750 pounds... I think my businessmen are lazy (7 pounds/unit). We also mastered 'Colonial self-government' increasing the demands of my non-existant colonial populations (5% increase in demand across of groups), '4-stroke engine' (gives nothing but unlocks a chain of tech leading to the automobile I would imagine), and the 'Air Brake' (which leads to a chain of railroad tech I would ALSO imagine). Furthermore, 2 Tobacco Fields were completed in the USA (Raleigh and Piedmont), thus increasing the amount of tobacco I can export from lovely Japan.

I guess I can talk about my overall plans. Since most of my goals lay within the Pacific and Mainland Asia, I need to consider long term foreign relations. True contenders in the Pacific are Britain, France, Netherlands and Spain, while America traditionally goes for Hawaii which is a Colonial goal of mine, I figure that the economic benefits of America with good relations far outweigh the strategic position and prestige Hawaii would present. However, if I can, I would like to control Hawaii. In terms of my goals in mainland Asia, only Russia and China come to mind as direct competitors. So this leads me to consider 4 countries as potential allies that I should foster good relations with, which are Italy, Germany, America and Austria. In that order of preference preferably... Maybe even the Ottomans as a 5th The Central Powers sans America essentially.
Eventually I think I should be able to handle China to take Korea and Manchuria, and stave off Russia with a local advantage. This is all guesswork mind you.
Economically, I would like to maintain good relations with America, and try to foster better relations with the countries in Central and South America in order to exploit their resources and fill the demand in goods Japan lacks. Coal for instance.

Furthermore, I'll probably changed how I present the ongoings of Japan as time goes on. I just wanted to lay describe where I am economically, so you know what I am working with, and where I'm going. That and I plan to change how I present the AAR. Experiment time!

Last edited:
sounds like good progress ... just a note, the educ decree adds +1 to all provinces (I know the tooltip doesn't say this but it does), later on the public university card adds +4 literacy to the province you play it in, again this is not clear from the tooltiip

think your appreciation of the international options is good, in truth the USA maybe your best bet, esp off cheasepake (sp?), you can buy lots of manufactures and coal

I think I produce a surplus of 30 units of Mfg.s a turn.
What I truly need is more demand from my National Population.
I tend to prioritize buying from Prussia/Germany, Italy, then America. If these guys aren't selling it, no one is usually.

Edit:Actually, surplus of 36 units, I'm going to start selling 30 units a turn since there seems to be a demand. Maybe it will jump start the world economy while I wait for the Boshin War event chain to fire.

Now I shall walk the dog, watch my shows that release today, and then continue the second half of '67 while reading a Light Novel on the side.

Last edited:
That was a very detailed overview of your Japan. And I appreciate seeing your long-term plans. Looking forward to continued internal development and then... Off to claim your place under the sun!
Normally, there would have been a build up to this point, so I figure by laying down my current foundation will allow readers to have a better understanding of my current capacity as a nation.

Last edited:
Now that is what I call an in depth update:)

I would concur with you economic strategy of using Central and South America they have a lot of the rarer resources and I always end up attemtping to buy up the full amount of Tobacco, Sugar, Rum, Tropical Fruits etc every turn so that I can resell them. Very rarely does this net a profit in private capital unless the price changes between turns it does however garner me extra revenue through maritime taxes and more importantly I it pumps a lot of cash into their economies which should help keep the world economy ticking over. As a general rule I try to buy from the small and medium states if i can as they are the ones who really need the cash to get their economies going.

Out of interest how many diplomats are you getting every turn? You have probably done this already but if you have spare diplomats it is worth trying to build up a network of commercial agreements in Central / South America.

Looking forward to seeing how the Boshin war pans out in this universe.

1867, Early July to Late December [Imperial Wedding]

Early July -

Well, on the diplomatic front, Prussia (8) didn't accept our 'State Visit' because we aren't friendly with their ally, which I presume to be Austria (-15). Since Austria is a diplomatic priority, I'm sending out a request for a 'State Visit' with them. The Italians (-9) deem it appropriate to ignore our request though, at least the Prussians were kind enough to give us a reason. During this time we also mastered 'Rifled Guns' which supposedly made 9 models go obselete, I didn't really notice when I looked at my naval portion of my military recruitment screen so I am taking their word for it.
'Grants for settlement of aboriginal lands' has been unlocked and it is being researched.
On the topic of research, in the Academy of Science screen, since I have so many State Funds to throw around (awaiting the Boshin War) I am currently focusing on 'Breech Loaded Guns'-3% (Naval technologies and Doctrines - Makes 9 models obsolete), 'Barbettes'-9% (Naval), 'Ironclad Frigates'-12% (Naval- Adds 1 unit to the force pool), 'Monitors'-14% (Naval - Adds 1 unit to the force pool), 'Ironclad Corvettes'-16% (Naval- Adds 1 unit to the forcepool), 'Elementary Education Act'-49% (Social,Cultural, Internal Politics and Colonial Discoveries - 5 point education modifier among all classes. Probably a decision as well), 'Balloons'-53% (Land/Army Technologies and Doctrines - Adds 1 new unit to the forcepool). All in all I spend about 350 State Funds a turn on research, again, mostly because I don't have much else to spend it on, and I have a stockpile of 3217 SF on hand at the moment.
Ah yes, Businessmen of Japan (Us) are outraged from being taxed so heavily by the USA. A total of 30 Private Capital was collected by the USA. My opinion on this is that I'm fine with it, I think my relations dropped a point though with the USA (34), so I need to keep an eye on this... thankfully it doesn't happen all to often. Honest Abe should stop fleecing my merchants. :p [To be fair though, I have a fair amount of assets in America.]
2EarlyJuly-LandForces_zps32ed105a.png

I also learned something, if I push control with a military unit I learn how many men/horses/cannons are in said unit.
On that topic, current deployment of my military (land).
Takanaka's Army. (Command Points: 27/51) [Power: 1933 | 64744 Men, 7158 Horses, 346 Cannons, 10 Planes]
*{Strategic: 3 Offensive: 3 Defensive: 3}*
-Essentially the main force. Stationed in Kyoto.

1. Japanese Force (CmdPts: 2/0 - 10% Penalty) [Pwr: 49 | 5500 Men, 5020 Horses
*{No Leader}*
-Supply Wagons with Light Cavalry Brigade acting as deterrent. Stationed in Kyoto.

Nabeshima's Corps (CmdPts: 12/12) [Pwr: 809 | 26837 Men, 1690 Horses, 170 Cannons
*{4-2-2}*
-Essentially a Heavy Infantry Corp with Nabeshima acting as leader. Stationed in Osaka.

Bakufu-Gun (CmdPts: 17/17) [Pwr: 1155 | 36762 Men, 4192 Horses, 220 Cannons, 10 Planes]
*{3-4-1}*
- Second largest force. Stationed In Osaka.

Overview: [Total Power: 3946 | 133843 Men, 18060 Horses, 736 Cannons, 20 Planes] (Upkeep: 17 State Funds, 2 Mfgs., 6 Conscripts and 1 Officer.)
Planes are essentially Balloons in every case they are mentioned...
Please note that some forces are slightly depleted due to attrition but do not yet require the use of a chit to replenish them.
I don't have much of a naval force, as I figure investing in the early ships would be a waste and I should hold off until ironclads came along. So the navy I have is what I had gained from events. Which I believe are 6 War Junk elements and 1 Transport Element. I currently have them stationed in Nagasaki. The leader of the war-junks is, 'Kaigun' Fukusosai Katsu Kaishu [6-2-1].
Although I have a Light Infantry Brigade in Takanaka's Army, I'll probably delegate them as a future colonial force as I want to beef up my armies with a greater amount of Cannons. I also have to consider the construction of Divisions and Brigades for greater flexibility of my armies in the grand scheme of things.
In the end I also need to consider Engineers and Labour forces for my main forces.

Late July -
A lovely event fired for us today, 'Model Factories' which gave us a free Textile Shop in Kagoshima. Mastered the 'International Workingman's Association' (Modifier to contentment from militancy by 5 points for Workers). The basic principles of 'Anarchism' were then known to us... we need no anarchy in Japan. We have finished our 'Major investment' of building sewers in Kagoshima and Nagoya, bumping their respective developments to 99% each, I decide to do the same again.
Businessmen managed to get us more gold, which I can't complain... I tend to enjoy the events that give me gold. Significant increases in the urban populations of Hiroshima (now 11) and Kobe (now 7) have occurred.
2LateJuly-ModelFactories_zps4c0e2da0.png

On the international scene, France has accepted the Peace offer from the Italians, which I suspect gave back Chambery to the Italians. On a similar note, Venice is currently under control of rebels.
Apparently the proposal of peace initiated by Sardinia Piedmont was agreed upon by France, to be honest I didn't even know they were at war with one another.

Early August -
Naval Base Extension in Yokohama finished up, queued up another (120 days). America continues to fleece my merchants, for 30 pounds, so I'm assuming this is a continuous thing but at least our relations aren't dropping solely because of that.
Austria also declined our state visit because we aren't friendly with one of their many allies. Fukuoka ad Kobe finished up their sewer investments (99% development each) and I queue them up again. Unless my businessmen get me something nice, I'm generally going to ignore the message... such as 25 units of rice for 750 pounds.

Late August -
Not much happened, businessmen gathered 22 units of gems and apparently GB has a CB on me for horrible relations. I'll just roll with it since they a boggled down with a war with Austria that's been going on for about a decade I think. Not going to find a way to script it to completion either... I'm going to adopt a 'wait and see' attitude on it.

Early September -
Business acquired 19 units of coffee. We mastered 'Universal Male Suffrage' which deals with militancy-contentment modifiers, it also gave us the principles of 'Suffrage for minorities and former slave' which won't affect us as we have no 'servile' population which it effects.
On a different note, 'Imperial Wedding', a red event has occurred for our glorious nation.
2EarlySeptember-ImperialWedding_zps1a97daa6.png

Late November -
Mastered 'Control of Yellow Fever and Malaria' which provides a pretty decent population growth bonus.

Early December -
Continuing the expansion of the Naval Base in Yokohama (size 12).

All in all, a short update, I think I'll give an appraisal of world events every 5 years or so starting in the 1870's. I know the Boshin War is up and coming, so that's why my forces are stationed around Kyoto and Osaka.

I did mention I had 'Historical Attrition' on, so that's why some of my forces have tiny levels of depletion in the ranks. I do have the chits to replace them though, so generally my forces are good shape year round.

Last edited:
Looks like you are progressing well.

A couple of points based on the screenshot of your army setup.

I notice you are not attaching your leaders to a unit is this for a particular reason? If you attach your leaders to your significant combat formations corps etc then you get a modest combat power increase for that unit (the attach button I think from memory is on the second tab of the unit options). I would also attach a supply wagon to each major force as it gives a 10% firepower increase.

The other things might be because you don't have the units yet but it is definately worth having the full set of support units with each major force ie Pioneers (for the defensive/offensive siege bonus); engineers (give the whole stack a bonus crossing rivers plus a defensive bonus if the leader is active) and even lowly labourers increase slightly the rate at which the force can dig in. They are all cheap and act as decent force multipliers.

Lastly if you have discovered breech loading rifles you should have access to mountain divisions which are useful as they increase the rate of movement through mountains/hills for the force they are attached to by about a third if memory serves.

As you mentioned artillery regiments give a lot of punch and are an efficient use of command points as they only use up 1.

Regarding diplomacy you probably know this already but you might want to offer one or all of the following promise local support / give supply right / give passage right as these are all items a country can't refuse and all of them increase relations.

Looking forward in a slightly war mongering way to the upcoming Boshin war!

Looks like you are progressing well.

A couple of points based on the screenshot of your army setup.

I notice you are not attaching your leaders to a unit is this for a particular reason? If you attach your leaders to your significant combat formations corps etc then you get a modest combat power increase for that unit (the attach button I think from memory is on the second tab of the unit options). I would also attach a supply wagon to each major force as it gives a 10% firepower increase.

The other things might be because you don't have the units yet but it is definately worth having the full set of support units with each major force ie Pioneers (for the defensive/offensive siege bonus); engineers (give the whole stack a bonus crossing rivers plus a defensive bonus if the leader is active) and even lowly labourers increase slightly the rate at which the force can dig in. They are all cheap and act as decent force multipliers.

Lastly if you have discovered breech loading rifles you should have access to mountain divisions which are useful as they increase the rate of movement through mountains/hills for the force they are attached to by about a third if memory serves.

As you mentioned artillery regiments give a lot of punch and are an efficient use of command points as they only use up 1.

Regarding diplomacy you probably know this already but you might want to offer one or all of the following promise local support / give supply right / give passage right as these are all items a country can't refuse and all of them increase relations.

Looking forward in a slightly war mongering way to the upcoming Boshin war!

Right now I am limited in my unit building since the low loyalty throughout Japan has locked me out, essentially. The buildup to the Boshin War, if you will.
This is rather recent to the last few years, and the last few years is where I have experienced the economic upswing necessary to expand the army.