• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LiamRiordan

The Rambling KR Player
70 Badges
Aug 4, 2008
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Dungeonland
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
This is an experiment for me, I've written a few stories in my time, but never an AAR despite many temptations and seeing such crazy stuff happening in KR. I am posting this to try and gauge what if any interest there is for this type of AAR style. I am not an expert writer, I am not an expert historian, therefore I quote Top Gear "Ambitious, but rubbish". Hopefully not so rubbish.

The Dream of Peace
A Soldier's Story in the Union of Britain Army

uobsplash.png

AAR intended 'rules':
  • Totally hands-off, playing as a defensive Bhutan;
  • Integrate world events into the overall story, and how it will affect him, his family and his nation;
  • Attempt to give a first person look into how life is inside the UoB;
  • Try to catch big battles and see where the characters could be in relation and how it may or may not affect them;
  • Mods used "Kaiserreich 1.4 BETA 1, Kaiserreich SKIF for Darkest Hour by DarkArk;
  • Absolutely no interference from the player with regards to how events unfold;
  • Cheat to survive only if absolutely necessary for the story.

"My name is Fletcher Hughes, and this is my story as a soldier... no, a man who only dreamt of peace. Why you may ask? Why the bloody hell not?"

whatkeepsmegoingmono2.jpg

"Fletcher Hughes with his family in Carmarthen, Wales, Union of Britain" - circa 1934

This will be really interesting!

The First Dark Quarter

"What can I say about 1936? It was tough for sure, but nobody these days really knew how tough. There was rationing with some goods, the economy was brittle and there wasn't too much hope for a truly free Union of Britain. We had the Germans controlling Europe, the Royalists plotting their revenge against us and our families... Hope was not a common luxury. But we looked forward to brighter times with each passing day, for the elections were next year, the elections many a Briton fought and many died for in the revolution. God knows my father doesn't shtum about it. But I digress, I guess you want to know what actually happened back then don't you? The events that set the world to the path of destruction? Or the events that set the path to freedom? Take a seat, and let me tell you a story."

darkesthour201212161429.jpg

Russia was one of the most badly affected nations back in the Great War, losing a lot of her old imperial land was of no consequence to us, but at least they were on our side against the Germans. Although when their own revolution came about, my uncle was shipped over there, but don't tell anyone about that ok? He was a part of the brigade called "The Red Hussars", he couldn't send us pictures, though we got some letters when I was a lad. Dad never liked to talk about him though, said "One war was too much, to go to another was plain daft". Can't say I blame him, when the Germans finally moved in, it was all over.

darkesthour201212161429.jpg

Just when we thought the Germans couldn't be more antagonistic, they go ahead and keep on building up their war machine at sea, despite internal protests the papers were saying. Then out of the blue Oswald Mosley calls a meeting with several international leaders, what was he thinking? At the time, we didn't know, but it couldn't be good. He was always a crook.

darkesthour201212161430.jpg

Seemed that Mosley was busy over the whole "Totalist Charter" propaganda and hailed it as a great success. My father was furious when he read it in the paper, I've never seen him lose it before, I was actually scared. From what I could pick up from his anger was along these lines "What the hell did we fight for against the goddamned royalty if this comes about?! We trade one dictator for another? Need we have another revolution?! Can't we just bloody go about our lives in peace without some overlord taking our god given right for freedom?!" He stormed out after he realized how angry he was, I stayed back in the house to comfort my mother. She never uttered a word. Not a single word.

darkesthour201212161430.jpg

To think things in Europe weren't shaky enough, the Russians are pushing for Boshevism now! Needless to say the flicker screens were loving it, as was Mosley, seeing it as a chance to help our Russian 'allies' once more in their fight for freedom against the oppressors of Europe. When isn't there an oppressor?

darkesthour201212161431.jpg

The old codger George V has passed on, it was very tense back home. Nobody wanted to talk about it, nobody wanted to celebrate. While after the war, support for the royalty greatly diminished and they attacked us in our mines, they did resemble one of the most stable leaderships in modern times. I guess it was more of an honourable silence, nationwide. We just never said it was so.

With Canada being the head of what is left of the broken empire, its only right his pampered son takes his place. Prince of Wales my two bottom cheeks! What gives him the right to rule over us? To claim a throne in a land he doesn't own? Self-obsessed little rotter! Although I swear there were some people tuning into the wireless to hear his voice, to hear the new enemy stirring. I think some people want to go back to royal rule. Not on my watch. Not on my watch.

It was actually quite comforting to know the French weren't exactly going to be rocking the boat with their government, sure they want to spread their values, and we shared a lot of common beliefs back then, but the problem was how?

darkesthour201212161434.jpg

Our navy may have been a little underpowered back in the old days of the Republic, but she certainly wasn't to be trifled with. We had those new aircraft carriers, I saw the RNS Rebecca dock in Cardiff once, she was a beauty, not like those ugly battleships. Anyone can carry a gun, but to carry a plane? That's an honour. I wondered if my cousin Lewis would be stationed on her, he was in training back then. We decided to scare the heck out of the Irish, not for a joke, but to show the world this message. "We are Britain, we are united, we are strong!". Ireland knew that, and they fell silent amidst our power.

darkesthour201212161435.jpg

Black Monday may have been destroying the Germans economy, but that didn't stop their little brothers from usurping power in the Italian Federation. I heard a priest in the local pub talk about how the Austrians are trying to rule Europe again as some sort of Holy overlords. I just hoped the Italians in the South didn't do anything rash.

"Well now, let's take a break, this old man needs some tea."

Interesting idea, a hands-off AAR. What crazy hijinks will the decisions make this time?
Only the AI fairies know, that's why I love KR, anything can happen.

This is interesting. Good luck

This will be really interesting!

I shall try not to disappoint!

how do you handle the attack efficency bug in 1.4 beta?

in my games it messes up pretty everything
I haven't really had issues with it since when I play I cheat. At least it'll be hard for everyone in the AI camp.

I like the concept, good luck.
Following. I love the concept :)

looking forward to the AAR
I just hope I don't balls it up.

If anyone has any feedback, please let me know, its been a long time since I've written anything creative, still working on what styles to do. For now, just setting the stage is fine to me.

Last edited:
I like the concept as well and wish you all of the luck and motivation in your endeavors.

Ok,but Now,make Bhutan a Superpower!!!!!!!

I like the narrative style.

Also I've released an update that should make my SKIF work with 1.04 much better, as well as the usual expanded faction roster.

Interesting :) I will keep an eye on this. I do not mean to judge or tell you your business but I think an introduction of character might help myself and maybe others in the audience relate to him.

This is really interesting, I will be monitoring this AAR from now on. Love the way you're describing the events and telling us about the life of the soldier in UoB. Can't wait for more updates!

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, an update is coming. I'm afraid my job and exhaustion has caught up with me, when I get home I just want to game and chat with friends. Whenever I do want to update I'll admit I'm a little drunk, but thankfully for you guys that won't be happening again. I've sworn off the drink, and an update should be coming later today (Sunday). Day off and rested. Its coming folks!

As for the narrative style, I will have a think about it, I am still very rusty about story telling, I will try to get better.

As for the story/description of the narrator, I'd like to save that till end game, but I suppose I could drop 'out-of-aar' moments where the narrator drops back into the modern days. Though frankly that is VERY difficult without knowing the end game since frankly, I don't even know it. Its literally up to the AI and KR on its own. Its pure random. Could be awesome, could be horse manure, no-one of use knows until I reload the save.

As for the people subscribing, I will try not to disappoint, if this turns out to be poor, I will do my best to work on a 'scripted AAR'. My favourite AAR, I sadly cannot remember the title is where a time traveler when back into the Soviet Union, beat the world and turned it into an empire, and went back in time again. Frustrates me I don't remember the name, but that REALLY got me thinking about AAR's. I believe its a Hearts of Iron II AAR, I remember the old map... and sadly, the South American 'cleansing'. Sad that... But that's fiction.

Anyway, folks, redoubling efforts and will try to find, or even sketch my own graphics! (No guarantees)

Last edited: