• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They do, actually. It's just that QFTNW is a bit lower on their priority list than the Iberian nations. England and France do eventually get QFTNW in my experience. Also, take Scotland as an example. You wouldn't really think of them as a colonising nation but if they're left alone long enough they'll eventually pick QFTNW due to being in the British culture group.

However, it is true that there's a lot of piggybacking by other countries, such as the Germans and the Italians, which results in the New World getting coloured all shades of the rainbow. I'm of the opinion that since this is "hands off" the AI should just be left as it is, without any editing - the New World ought to get discovered, it just takes time.

I agree with staying completely hands off. As was said France and England should certainly grab QFTNW at some point. I'm curious what happens in Vicky2 if say North America is completely uncolonized, does that transfer over?

Depends on how the converter works, but i would think so. But then you would have a weird "scramble for america" on the first day of 1836 a life rating in america is high enough i guess.

Last edited:
I also agree that completely hands off is the best option. After all, this is a history of the world according to Paradox, and if an uncolonized north America is what Paradox wants, then let them have it. Also, that "weird scramble for America" would be really interesting to follow.

Countries do not always follow what their historical files say.

I guess I'll wait and hope England takes it, then, though I looked in its historical ideas file and its first idea (military drill) wasn't in there. It then picked it's second, first and fourth idea in that order. QFTNW is the third idea on the list. I'd like to know how it determines its choices. I notice QFTNW is #3 on Navarra's list as well. A basque new world would certainly be interesting.

CENTRAL ASIA 1488-1521

For millennia, the settled peoples of Europe, the Middle East and China had dreaded the periodic invasions of fearsome horsemen from the central Asian steppes. Scythians and Cimmerians, Huns and Avars, Turks and Cuman, and of course, the most devastating invaders of all: the Mongols. But after the disintegration of the Golden Horde in the late 14th century, the Norwegians, Byzantines and the Holy Roman Empire had done something none of the so-called ‘civilized’ societies had ever done before. They had moved onto the steppes themselves, even beyond the Urals, not just with a punishing raid, but to stay and settle. By the late 15th and early 16th centuries, the nomads that had roamed the steps throughout recorded history found themselves pressed from both west and east.

Central Asia in 1488:
Central_Asia_1488.jpg

The beginning of this new era of European aggression on the steppes was signaled by the Sibirian crusade of 1488. King Taybuga Khan von Chelyabinsk of Sibir, confident that his ally King Olav VI of Norway would support him, decided that the time had come to crush the last remnant of the once mighty Golden Horde. The Horde’s allies in Crimea and Yaroslavl rallied to its aid, but the tribes were overmatched by the glorious armies of Sibir and Norway. By 1492, Taybuga Khan forced territorial concessions from both Yaroslavl and the Golden Horde. The Horde was reduced to a small territory in the northern Urals.

Meanwhile, Astrakhan had been wracked by civil war, and the reigning von Rheinfelden dynasty toppled by Mahmoud Arigh Gal. Only a few months after seizing the throne, the new king decided to exploit the casualties Yaroslavl had suffered in the devastating battle of Koda by declaring a war of his own. He was able to persuade a number of other members of the Holy Roman Empire to join him. Some—like Tuscany and Brandenburg—were too far away to be of much aid. But the Emperor himself brought troops from his lands in Russia, and Nogai also joined the war effort, and by the end of the following summer, Yaroslavl had been crushed and annexed by Astrakhan.

By 1495, winning a war against the steppe nomads was almost becoming a rite of passage for new European monarchs. The old emperor, Christopher von Lenzburg was replaced by his son Francois in 1494, who declared that the Kingdoms of Burgundy and Russia would henceforth be ruled under a single crown. Though the members of the Empire in the east feared that meant the Emperor would have little interest in their region, this proved not to be the case. He sat on the throne of Burgundy for less than a year before making war on Crimea. It took less than three years for him to subdue and subjugate the Crimeans, who had never thought to focus on their defensive fortifications which were easily demolished by the Burgundian engineers. The war ended when Crimea was annexed by Burgundy in 1499.

It seemed that the war of 1488-1492 had merely whetted the appetite of Olav VI and Tayburga Khan for more eastern conquests. In 1497, Sibir and Norway attacked again, with Persia their new target. As a vassal of Khiva, which was in turn a vassal of the mighty Timurids, Persia might have seemed a dangerous foe a few years earlier. But with 2nd Byzantine-Timurid war having raged for over twenty years, an entire generation of Mongol horsemen had fallen on the battlefield, and Khiva was poorly positioned to aid its vassal. Soon after the fall of Crimea, Persia lost control of the northern forest lands to the Norwegians.

Central Asia, 1500:
Central_Asia_1500.jpg

The last vestige of the Golden Horde was finally crushed in 1509 by the stable alliance between Olav and Tayburga Khan. The tiny khanate was driven from its mountain fastness in less than a year, and Europeans now ruled from the Atlantic almost to the Yenisei River, far beyond the Urals.

But in 1513, war broke out between the Western powers. Emperor Francois had long resented Norway’s control over lands that had once belonged to the Empire, before the Kingdom of Novgorod had been annexed by the Norwegians. With Norway distracted by a war it had declared on Scotland in hopes of reclaiming Faereyar and the west of Iceland, Francois hoped it could be beaten in the East. But though Francois was able to persuade some of the members of the Empire to join in his war, Sibir stuck by its longtime ally. Despite the challenges of fighting a two-front war, the Norwegians held firm and were able to regain their possessions in the West without making any concessions in the East. In any event, the Empire’s focus had changed by then. Francois died only a year after the war started, and Burgundy was inherited by Queen Blanca II of Navarra. The electors had no intention of choosing a protestant Emperor and instead turned to Ruprecht I of Bohemia to rule the Empire, though Bohemia had turned its back on the Empire centuries before. Queen Blanca kept up the war effort for some time but ultimately had little interest in such faraway lands, and chose to make peace in 1519.

This relieved the pressure on the nomads from the west for a time, but the Chagatai Horde had faced nearly 40 years of continuous warfare from Manchu and Ming in the east and its hold on the lands around Lake Baykal was slipping. The Timurids were struggling to survive against a determined Byzantine invasion. The proud people who had once reigned supreme from the Pacific to the Black Sea appeared in danger of becoming a subject people in their central Asian homelands.

Central Asia, 1524:
Central_Asia_1524.jpg

Who I'm rooting for:
Etruria- If they unite Italy things will get very interesting. I also like them since they were a small weak nation that became powerful

Navarra- Hopefully they can expel the Foreign invaders of Iberia.

Frankfurt: For the same reasons as Etruria except with Germany

Hungary: i like seeing a strong eastern European power. I'd like to see them counter the power of the HRE.

Mali: Keep the foreigners out of Africa!

Who I'm rooting against:

Byzantium: They have an ugly vassal empire.

France: Too powerful.

Denmark: they get their grubby little hands everywhere.

England: They killed the awesome leinster!

Burgundian Asia is both awesome and ridiculous.

Why you hating on Denmark? Come on! Usually such underdogs, now prime colonial power... Love it.

But I agree with England. Everybody loved the Leinsterian Republic. Irish America would have been awesome.

THE WORLD, 1518

The long promised first global update is finally here. Here is a map of the world as of 1518:
World_1518-1.jpg

The map is impacted by two major events that I haven't described because they're not complete for several decades to come: the latest Byzantine-Timurid war, and the French excommunication/religious turmoil death spiral. I was amused to see the description of France as too powerful...not so much now. And Leinster isn't quite dead yet

A map showing technological progress. Unfortunately not the whole world--is there a way to get global maps of anything but politics?
EU3_57.jpg

And now ledger sheets depicting the economic and military powerhouses of the day. They're not as legible as my written lists, but the screenshots do capture more information than I care to copy out:

Ledger3_1518.jpg

Ledger2.jpg

Ledger1_1518.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Scandinavia is where the power is. Both Denmark and Norway are impressive. It's amusing how Sweden is not included in that list all things considered...

That is a crazy, crazy map! Persia is everywhere, except where it's supposed to be! :D

Interesting.

Rensslaer

Sibir is yellow on the tech map? How? Did they westernize? Did they start in a decent tech group here?
Also, hoping for Leinster to rise again and Funj to break free, it's ridiculous for them to be a vassal but have the world's 6th greatest army...

Last edited:
Sibir is yellow on the tech map? How? Did they westernize? Did they start in a decent tech group here?

I think they were a German duchy that just got its tag changed to Sibir, so yeah, they're probably Western.
And Byzantium has a higher manpower than Ming. :eek:

Yep, von Rheinfeldens are ruling Sibir, so go Sibir!
I always hated Russian blob, so now in Victoria there will be few states in Sybir, will be funny. : )
And Im completely against Byzantium... in one of my conversions, being smaller at the start than here, they conquered all Russia and Arabia, ugly vertical blob. I hope they will fall.