+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Europa Universalis IV and the Mod-Forum

Europa Universalis IV and the Mod-Forum

Will it be as amazing like in Eu3, where "big" mods had their own subforum or will it be as lously than in nearly the rest of the games where a lot of good mods not even get a sticky.

OK OK.. lously is the wrong word, of course the modding Support by paradox is amazing and stuff, but compared to Eu3 mod Forum its kinda lousy.. i mean look at ck2.. i think Game of Thrones mod would deserve a subforum and other good mods like Karolinger mod would deserve a sticky since months. Its pretty hard to find a good mod when there are X pages with mods.. it would be amazing if EU4 would handle mod Forum like eu3 did. All really huge mods at 1 spot with a subforum.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

I'd like to know if any support for Steam Workshop is being considered. Sub forums aside, many users may find mods hard to reach, but the workshop actually (with some mixed results) bring one of the best features of the PI series of games more accessible. I don't know if its the developer, publisher or steam themselves that have to manage it or take the initiative for it, but I enjoy it immensely for Civ V at least.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled

I think the problem with the sub-forums is that you might end up with more than half of them being dead mods.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I've recently had a look at EU3 mods for the first time in years, and finding one which works with the latest version (and would be interesting for other reasons) is hard.

DLC are only going to make that harder than what expansions did, so there needs to be some better way to find current mods.

Командир Батаљона DanubianCossak's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the Throne500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

The biggest question when it comes to mods is how Paradox will decide to handle the sub forum. For example, in different games they handled it differently. In some cases you can access the mods sub forum (but you cant post there) regardless of having that game registered or not (EU3) and in some other games you cant even browse the mod sub section unless you have game registered. The problem with more restrictive approach is that it limits the amount of people that are allowed to play your mods (which is important to all of us who make mods) and fewer people you get playing your thing less and less feedback you get, which means less and less things get done, leading to much shorter life time for mods, or even alternative forums (which would be a big shame IMO). So i hope they will take some less restrictive approach this time (at least EU3 like, if free for all is not possible), it would make things much easier for modders (thus make your experience with EU4 last much, much longer).
    Там тебе привольней, песня
    Ты туда и улетай!

51 games registered

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderWarlock 2: The Exiled
    EUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

This is a question of forum administration, not an EU4 question per se. The forums moved from specific sub-fora per mod (EU3) to a thread per mod (CK2), and I expect that will continue for EU4. This was for administrative reasons. Post in the Forum Help forum if you want to discuss it with the Forum Admins, such as Castellon.
    Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death .... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man. Bertrand Russell

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy CollectionEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Fawr View Post
    I've recently had a look at EU3 mods for the first time in years, and finding one which works with the latest version (and would be interesting for other reasons) is hard.

DLC are only going to make that harder than what expansions did, so there needs to be some better way to find current mods.
    This is incorrect.
    DLCs cannot, in terms of mods or multiplayer, be compared to the expansions of former games.
    If you take a look at how it works in CK2, the patches of CK2 can be compared to expansions of EU3. Obviously, more patches compared to the old expansions, and more rapidly than the old expansions, will mean less compatibility in the end, but that is not because of DLCs (Although you could argue that the DLCs enable them to produce patches more rapidly...).
    I was suspicious at first when they announced it, but if it works as well for EU4 as for CK2, I have no objections.

As for mod subforums, I haven't seen many mods be given subforums in EU3, and for me the Master Mod list of CK2 works just as well - but I can imagine a subforum would have perks for the team doing the mod. I am not sure, never been there never done that, but I think that if something enables more modders to share their work then is good - question is then whether the subforum is the most efficient way for PDX to help.
    Are medals that important to you? - Jayavarman
    Nationality: World Citizen, Religion: -, Ideology: Anarcho-Syndicalist, Issues: Full Citizenship / Pacifism, Current Work: Student, Militancy: 8 (+ 0.74), Consciousness: 10 (+0.53), Revolt Risk: 15%

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSlayer View Post
    I'd like to know if any support for Steam Workshop is being considered. Sub forums aside, many users may find mods hard to reach, but the workshop actually (with some mixed results) bring one of the best features of the PI series of games more accessible. I don't know if its the developer, publisher or steam themselves that have to manage it or take the initiative for it, but I enjoy it immensely for Civ V at least.
    The biggest impediment with further Steam integration (noting mods will stick work as usual for non-steam users), is that Paradox patching procedures do not work well with Steam. Adding in mods that only work on some patches, and some that need year-old beta patches (see: EU3, I think 5.2 betas are 9 months old now) makes this tricky.

That given, if Paradox can get their act together with patches (have they will CK2? I haven't followed), I think Steam Workshop would be a great idea.

+ Reply to Thread