• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Several actually. A few heavyweights (on my book) are CK2+ a major overhaul to the base game that adds way too much stuff for me to go on about in here, but the recent factions overhaul is simply amazing. Then theres the amazing Game Of Thrones mod which many members of the press pointed to as an exemple of a Game Of Thrones game done right, plus theres Lux Invicta and the Prince And The Thane which, despite having a big following, I havent tried, so other will probably tell you what theyre about. Finally the Elder Scrolls mod is still in production but its looking very very promising.

Mods or no mods, I'd say get the game if you like grand strategy :)

Just play vanilla and become immersed in a great game. :)

Yup. It's really hard to appreciate any of the mods if you don't know what vanilla is like first. Once you get the hang of vanilla, then you figure out what sort of mods you want.

Anyhow, the big mods are, in case you're wondering:

- CKII+ : many new features and mechanics
- Prince and Thane: emphasis on roleplay and favor
- Project Balance: focus is on balancing the game rather than adding too many new features (my personal preference)
- Lux Invicta: a well-made alternate history mod with new mechanics and flavor
- A Game of Thrones: you probably know about this one already

There's also plenty of other large-size and small-size mods, and plenty of things to try out.

You got your overhaul mods, your total conversion mods, a couple-a invasion mods, some graphical goodies, and the age old favorite of flavor events.

Also a few music mods. I'm working on one at the current time, trying to bring more real period music into the game. Should be ready to debut in a couple of weeks. There are others in the meantime, all worth checking out.

Any mods that make the game expand the map to the Americas or Asia?

There's Umbra Spherae, which is in development but (if I remember correctly) a (rather unbalanced) beta version is available - the mod basically extends the map to include almost all of Asia and Africa, along with new characters, dynasties, provinces, landed titles, and so forth.

Currently there's no mod that expands the map into the Americas, but there is one in development that takes place in America (separately from Europe); there's also one mod that changes the map from Europe to the Americas (so all the landed titles, characters, and dynasties are the same as in vanilla CKII, but the map is different).

There's quite a few good mods out there. Get used to vanilla first, then check out the master mod list (stickied to the mod forum) and see what takes your fancy.

Yup. It's really hard to appreciate any of the mods if you don't know what vanilla is like first. Once you get the hang of vanilla, then you figure out what sort of mods you want.

Anyhow, the big mods are, in case you're wondering:

- CKII+ : many new features and mechanics
- Prince and Thane: emphasis on roleplay and favor
- Project Balance: focus is on balancing the game rather than adding too many new features (my personal preference)
- Lux Invicta: a well-made alternate history mod with new mechanics and flavor
- A Game of Thrones: you probably know about this one already

There's also plenty of other large-size and small-size mods, and plenty of things to try out.

as a newb i have to agree. get used to the vanilla game first. it is awesome, and you won't need a mod for awhile.
i'm still trying to figure out what parts of the game i don't like that can be made better by a mod and which parts of the game i don't like cuz i suck at them.
just the other day i was looking around the mod forum for something that reworked the factions. then i read a bunch odf regular threads, and realises i didn't know what i was doing. i'm a little better now and have a little better understanding of what that part of the game is about.
i'm now having a problem with creating titles and stuff