• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Daiyoukai Ramza

First Lieutenant
20 Badges
Mar 22, 2012
  • Darkest Hour
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Greetings and welcome to the Sikh Men of Punjab, an AAR in which I will be playing Colombia, a country that is far, far, far, far away from Punjab, any significant British military presence, and contains no pops of the Sikh religion whatsoever. Now let's get started on our northern South American adventure, shall we?

Just kidding.

Obviously, the country I shall be playing in this AAR is the Sikh Empire--known as Punjab in vanilla--a south asian country that is initially in a perilous position thanks to the impending British threat to the east-southeast, but with great potential if guided by a careful and wise leader. My hope is that I shall be able to bring that potential out, if only partially.

A note, before any rules or goals or whatnot. Those personal changes I used in the Eastern Answer, for the most part, remain.

Pre-Westernization Goals

. Westernize. Duh.
2. Prevent the UK from eating us.
3. Establish ourselves as the pre-eminent "uncivilized" power in the region using whatever methods are available to us. Conquest, cutting down to size, humiliation... whatever gets the job done.
4. Pass at least one of the decisions that grants us an additional accepted culture.

Post-Westernization Goals

1. Become a Great Power.
2. Defeat the UK and form India.

Optional Goals

1. Dismantle Russia

So, let's get this party started, shall we?

Beginnings...

To begin, let us get a handle on the current state of the Sikh Empire, shall we?

This...
GloriousSikhEmpire.png

...is our empire in its entirety. Our lands include two complete territories--Lahore and Sringar--and two partial territories--Amritsar and Pashtunistan. Despite our relatively small size, our population, for an "uncivilized" nation, is quite high, standing at approximately 2.7 million adult males, with Lahore being our most populous state by a fair margin. In NNM, this makes us the third most populous unciv, after China and Shogunate Japan. Most of China's substates have a higher population, though. Still, third among independent "uncivilized" nations isn't too bad, yeah?

For an "uncivilized" nation, our military is unusually formidable...
SikhMilitary.png

The only other nation--besides the UK, of course--we border that can compare is Afghanistan. Oddly, they start out with irregular + cavalry forces, yet can build infantry, while we start out with infantry + cavalry, yet lack the technology to build infantry. Because of this, our starting military forces are precious and must be preserved as best as possible, at least until I can retrain infantry from scratch.

Now onto our finances...
Finances.png

Our finances do not look good at all. Our treasury is very small, and we're bleeding a large amount of money per day. We'll need to fix this...

FinancesPost-Adjustment.png

Yes, yes, I know what you're saying right now. No, you clod, cut administration, not education! For the first few years, ensuring a steady flow of income will be paramount, mostly because I don't like to abuse the "uncivs can't go bankrupt" thing. Plus, higher administrative efficiency will, ultimately, result in more money, and thus a higher education budget. Mind the pennies and the dollar will take care of themselves and all that.

Onto westernization reforms. No doubt such a secular, progressive peoples such as ourselves are well on our way to "westernizing" as our not-at-all-egocentric friends from the west would put it. Let's just have a look-see...
Reforms.png

...oh, uh... we haven't made any progress towards modernizing our country. Well, that's certainly... inconvenient. We'll have to remedy this post-haste. Anyway, onto our decisions...

SikhDecisions.png

I've taken the liberty of mousing over the most relevent decision right now. The "Embrace the Pashtuns" and "Form India" decisions will be important, but not right now.

The Rule of the Maharajah decision is very versatile, though not without a (small) drawback. The military bonuses are phenomenal--and we will make use of them, I assure you--while the research points bonus is... decent, though that particular aspect comes with a militancy malus. And for an unciv, militancy is dangerous; very, very dangerous. But don't worry, I have a plan to keep militancy under control. And like most of my plans, it will no doubt go horribly awry. Now let's enact the Rule of the Maharajah, hmmm?

RuleoftheMarahajah.png

Now we turn our attention to the outside world. First and foremost, there's the big kid on the block. No, that's not us, much as we wish it were--it's the UK, the world's (current) pre-eminent power..
KeepontheUKsgoodside.png

I won't sugar-coat it. If the UK decides to eat us, there is little we will be able to do to actually stop them. It is paramount that we keep ourselves in their good graces. Otherwise... well, let's not think about that.

Conflict with the British, however, is inevitable, however, because they control the majority of India. And since we sort of need India to, ya know, form India, we'll have to, erm, graciously offer to take it off their hands, in a manner of speaking.
Ourultimategoal.png

To the northeast, you'll notice China--or rather, one of China's substates. If, or rather when China westernizes, they could become very powerful. Or they could collapse into decades of civil war. If possible, I will capitalize on the situation either way.

Now for some military restructuring..
MilitaryRestructuring.png

To avoid attrition (in our own lands, no less), I've split up our stacks and positioned them in key positions. Though the UK is dangerous, Afghanistan is the most immediate danger, since they have an 'acquire core' casus belli on us, thanks to some unfortunate business in the 1820s or whatnot.

Next, we'll use our sole NF to encourage bureaucrats in Lahore. Yes, I know, clergy and all that. That'll come a few years down the road.
CratsonLahore.png

Finally, we can unpause and let the world's economy (and, more importantly, my finances) adjust themselves appropriately. And once that happens, we begin losing a bit of money again. Time for a second budget adjustment...
January2ndAdjustment.png

Five pounds a day (more or less) isn't much, but it's still in the black, so it'll have to do. Now let's unpause the game again and see what happens...

January 22nd, 1836 - Sikkim and Makran both offer me alliances. Since both are very weak, I reject their offers.

Late in February, the UK acts aggressively towards an Indian State--thankfully, I am not the target...
Hrm-1.png

May 25th, 1836 - Nepal offers an alliance, and I reject. Simply too weak to be useful.

June 9th, 1836 - I use 2 of my 2.1 diplomatic points to increase relations with the UK, putting me at 5 relations.

In the middle of June, I get the following event..
ScrewyouUSA.png

The other option gives me militancy and consciousness, so I take the relations hit. The US is too far away from me to be relevant, really.

June 22nd, 1836 - Makran offers an alliance again. I reject for the same reason I rejected them before.

July 12th, 1836 - Kokand offers me an alliance. I reject, despite them actually being useful in a war. Why, you may ask? Simple--Russia. Russia typically goes after Kokand very early in my games, so I tend to avoid allying with 'em.

July 20th, 1836 - Nepal offers another alliance. Rejected, of course.

July 30th, 1836 - Kalat offers an alliance. Rejected for being too weak, as well as being one of my future punching bags/expansion targets.

August 1st, 1836 - Bhutan offers an alliance. Hahahaha, no.

August 22nd, 1836 - Mandate of Heaven notice. You can have everything under the heavens, China, because I'm aiming for the heavens themselves.

October 30th, 1836 - Bukkhara offers and alliance, and I accept. They'll be useful against Afghanistan, and Russia tends to ignore Bukkhara early on, at least in my experience.

January 17th, 1837 - Nepal bugs me again for an alliance. Guess how I responded.

March 1st, 1837 - I increase relations with the UK again, bumping Sikh Empire-UK relations up to 20.

Middle of march, 1837 - Unrelated to the Sikh Empire, but el salvador breaks away from the USCA as a presidential dictatorship.

March 18th, 1837 - Khiva offers an alliance, which I accept. Same reason as Bukkhara.

March 28th, 1837 - The UK and Portugal ask me for military access, which I grant. This puts Sikh Empire-UK relations at 50, meaning that they can't fabricate any casus belli against me.

June 17th, 1837 - Okay, seriously Nepal, begging me for an alliance is getting annoying. No. Means. No.

Haven't had a screenshot in a while, so let's see how our finances are doing?
Finances15yearslater.png

Hm, we're making enough money to bump up education funding a bit, but our pops' needs aren't being met. Not good. Time to enact Operation Beat Up On Your Neighbors For Fun And Profit.

July 20th, 1837 - I begin fabricating a cut down to size casus belli on Sindh.

August 19th, 1837 - Bhutan's back with an offer I can easily refuse. Persistent little bugger..

September 1st, 1837 - Sikkim asks for an alliance. Seriously, what is with all of these small fry?

Late October, 1837 - I incur 3.2 infamy when my casus belli against Sindh gets found out. That's barely more than a humiliate CB, so I find this acceptable.

November 15th, 1837 - Casus Belli acquisition speed +25% event. Would've been nice to get before the infamy, but oh well.

December 1st, 1837 - My casus belli is completed, and I declare war on Sindh.
CasusBellicomplete.png

The sole battle of the war is a crushing victory for the Sikh Empire...
SoleBattleoftheSikh-SindiWar.png

We actually lose more men to attrition than the battle. So much for preserving our initial military.

During the war, Queen Victoria's coronation takes place. Congratulation to our GOOD FRIENDS, the UK.
QueenVictoriasCoronation.png

Finally, after a crushing defeat and having 2/3rds of their territory occupied, Sindh capitulates...
Victory.png

This gives us a cool 10 prestige, as well as some of their (admittedly small) income. Still, it's enough for us to bump up our education budget a bit more, so that's nice.

Expect a lot of humiliation & cutting down to size wars while I'm an unciv. I'm going to try to get my prestige into the top 10, which should give me just enough priority on the world market for my pops to meet their life needs.

Last edited:
An interesting path, to be certain; I've never used Cut down to size much, but in your circumstances it makes perfect sense. Are you big enough that the UK can't eat you in one war (i.e. establish protectorate?)

An interesting path, to be certain; I've never used Cut down to size much, but in your circumstances it makes perfect sense. Are you big enough that the UK can't eat you in one war (i.e. establish protectorate?)

Prestige-to-infamy-wise, humiliate is more efficient, but when you've got finances like the Sikh Empire, every bit of cash helps, never mind the troop building limits it enforces, which makes any subsequent wars easier. It can also be used against countries with 0 prestige--that is, countries that actually have 0 prestige instead of prestige between 0 and 1, which... well, shows up as 0. I've had situations where a humiliate CB will stop being fabricated mid-fabrication due to the country I'm fabricating said CB against getting knocked down to 0 prestige.

As for the UK eating me... well, I've always managed to avoid war with them as the Sikh Empire, but I don't think they'll be able to eat me in one gulp. Still, if they do attack, they'll go after Amritsar, which is my second most populous state. Losing that would be a big blow. I'd probably have to take out my rage on Afghanistan.

And Sindh
And Kalat
And Makran
And...

As you may have noticed, my unciv strategy is a bit unconventional. I tend to prioritize building a strong bureaucracy for the first few years, since it allows me to more efficiently fund everything else and, if absolutely necessary, make more money from tariffs. The bureaucracy is the foundation on which I build my country, I guess you could say.

...actually, that's not too different from what I do with civilized countries, either.

Last edited:
Beating up on your neighbors for fun and profit.

July 6th, 1838 - Nepal again begging for an alliance. Rejected them.

Let's see how our finances look after the cut down to size war against Sindh...

Post-warFinances.png

...not much better. Dang.

July 20th, 1838 - Makran. Yawn, rejected.

September 2nd, 1838 - Military Mission. Accepted it because I'm insane and willing to risk the extra militancy.

September 26th, 1838 - Sikkim. Rejected.

November 5th, 1838 - Western Presence. Accepted because I live on the edge.

December 13th, 1838 - 'nother military mission. Same as before.

January 5th, 1839 - Kalat asks me for an alliance. I accept this time because I have plans. Believe it or not, Kalat's actually got a decent military... for some reason. Too decent for me to invade with acceptable losses, actually. So... until then, they may be useful.

February 13th, 1839 - Begin fabricating a cut down to size casus belli on afghanistan

June 17th...ish, 1839 - RNG God is smiling down on me, because I didn't get caught. Huzzah!

June 18th, 1839 - War were declared.
DoWAfghanistan.png

Our forces perform well, delivering crushing defeats to the Afghans. Our kalati and Bukkharan allies... well, they're distractions, basically...
AfghanBattle.png

October 7th, 1839 - Legation quarter with Russia. We tell them to screw off, netting us 2 prestige... and 2 infamy... and giving them a humiliate casus belli against us. And lowering relations.

October 23rd, 1839 - Cholera, ugh.

And now for more battles!
AfghanBattle2.png

AfghanBattle3.png

AfghanBattle4.png

May 13th, 1840 - Cholera spreads. Double ugh.

November 1st, 1840 - Kokand agrees to a white peace.

After much bloodshed, Afghanistan concedes defeat!
VictoryagainstAfghanistan.png

Ten more prestige and a bit of daily cash for us.

November 15th, 1840 - Khiva and the Sikh Empire renew their alliance. No hard feelings, I guess?

January 17th, 1841 - Bhutan asking for an alliance again. Rejected, with a mental note made to invade them at the soonest possible chance.

March 6th, 1841 - Alliance with Kalat dissolved. They've served their purpose and, more important, their armies have been almost completely decimated.

July 24th, 1841 - Bhutan moves up in the invasion queue by bugging me for an alliance again.

August 24th, 1841 - Discriminatory school system event. It's a small amount of research + militancy/consciousness vs a small amount of research lost. Since I'm worried about militancy, I take the small research hit. It's like 20 pts at the most.

September 1st, 1841 - Western presence event. Ignoring what I just said, I accept.

December 25th, 1841 - Persia offers an alliance, which I accept. I then scroll over to see that Russia's taken two chunks out of them.

January 1st, 1842 - Begin fabricating acquire state casus belli against Kalat

July 27th (maybe 28th), 1842 - Incur 5.3 infamy when I get caught fabricating that casus belli. Acceptable.

February 1st, 1843 - Casus Belli Completed. War were declared.
DoWKalat.png

March 22nd, 1843 - Military reform event...
MilitaryReform.png

The other choice was good (+20% research), but... also came with a good chunk of militancy--both one-time and over time, so I went for the prestige, since higher prestige ties in with my overall strategy.

June 14th, 1843 - Kalat's forced are crushed. They flee and are promptly wiped out.
KalatBattle.png

October 25th, 1843 - Victory!
KalatVictory.png

November 12th, 1843 - Yet another western presence event. I accept. This will probably backfire on me at some point.

January 1st, 1844 - Start fabricating a cut down to size casus belli on Sindh.

January 9th, 1844 - Sikkim makes itself a target for invasion when it bugs me for an alliance yet again.

Early March, 1844 - ...Sikkim really wants to be invaded.

Mid-april, 1844 - Incur 1.6 infamy on that cut down to size CB. Seriously, the RNG god is smiling upon me tod--er, tonight.

Early may, 1844 - Casus belli complete. War were promptly declared
SindhDeclaration.png

Sindh doesn't do vvery well at all...
Sindhwut.png

July 28th, 1844 - A westernization event fires, though I forget which one. Choices were between militancy/consciousness, paying 50 pounds, or losing one of my western presence modifiers. I choose to pay the 50 pounds.

A little under a year later, victory!
SindhVictory.png

Nothing really noteworthy happens from late April to late September. And then...

Ohgodwat.png

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Ha..

...ha.

*calms down*

Sorry, got caught up in the moment.

How I'm going to take advantage of this will take some thought. Conquest might be ill-advised, considering the militancy malus non-accepted pops get, but... I will definitely have to turn this to my favor.

Last edited:
The UK... got a revolution? I have never, in all my games of Vicky 2, seen that happen. It's a shame you're not adequately poised, at least at the moment, to do some serious damage.

Your economic strategy seems to be working well; I've never really pushed for administration in my own games, but what you say makes sense. Do you go hard for the admin. efficiency techs as a civilized nation? I typically ignore them altogether.

The UK... got a revolution? I have never, in all my games of Vicky 2, seen that happen. It's a shame you're not adequately poised, at least at the moment, to do some serious damage.

I've seen it happen occasionally, but most/all of those times have been because of a war. I think this may actually be the first time I've seen the UK suffer a revolution in peacetime. Would've been nice if the jacobins had waited until I was civilized, though.

Your economic strategy seems to be working well; I've never really pushed for administration in my own games, but what you say makes sense. Do you go hard for the admin. efficiency techs as a civilized nation? I typically ignore them altogether.

Really depends. If I don't plan to have a lot of unaccepted culture pops, I tend to save everything beyond ad-hoc money bill printing until fairly late in the game, since I'll typically have enough crats for 100% administrative efficiency in every state and the country as a whole. And even then, it's mostly because of the +tax efficiency inventions.

If I expect to have a lot of unaccepted pops in my country/empire--either from colonizing or conquest--I'll typically put a bit more focus on that line of techs, but not to the exclusion of, say... the philosophy or political thought lines.

As uncivs, raising administrative efficiency is typically my first priority, since uncivs are typically pretty strapped for cash. Except, say, Japan and China.

If I recall, the cost of government expenditure is something like... 100% - country administrative efficiency more than what's listed in the game files, so high administrative efficiency does save you quite a bit of coin if you get it high enough. Especially with super-expensive stuff like dreadnoughts.

Right now, I think my country administrative efficiency is, like... 94 percent? Somewhere around there. I should be good for a long while.

very interesting so far ! subscribed.

Thanks. Glad to have you aboard. :)

Last edited:
I almost laughed out loud when the UK had a Jacobin revolution, in a maniacal way. When I was playing my own (vanilla) Panjab game, with plans for an AAR, the UK had the exact same revolution (only a few years later than you), which normally never happens in typical games. I was so shocked that I briefly considered abandoning my plans for an AAR, since it would make things unreasonably easy for Panjab in future conflicts and unrepresentative of the actual threat an India united under British hegemony would present to Panjab...

But I went on, and so should you. One drawback to this situation is that all British influence on you is lost, so they might not be averse to declaring war on you now.

By the way, those extra decisions look great! You don't get them in vanilla... And I like your strategy of first building up administration and then going for prestige by all means. I typically start out the same way (with bureaucrat NFs) but I've never been so aggressive with prestige wars.

I almost laughed out loud when the UK had a Jacobin revolution, in a maniacal way. When I was playing my own (vanilla) Panjab game, with plans for an AAR, the UK had the exact same revolution (only a few years later than you), which normally never happens in typical games. I was so shocked that I briefly considered abandoning my plans for an AAR, since it would make things unreasonably easy for Panjab in future conflicts and unrepresentative of the actual threat an India united under British hegemony would present to Panjab...

My initial reaction was pretty much... "wat" followed by a downright Jokerish (as in Batman Joker) grin. I wasn't even aware the UK was even having jacobin problems, but... hey, gift horse in the mouth and all that.

Though, to be honest, I've come to the conclusion that I won't really be able to take advantage of the situation very much, given that I'd have to get really lucky with casus belli generation in order to conquer all those uncivs. The conquest CB is simply too darn expensive to be practical. Might be able to snag Beroda, but... that's it.

But I went on, and so should you. One drawback to this situation is that all British influence on you is lost, so they might not be averse to declaring war on you now.

By the way, those extra decisions look great! You don't get them in vanilla... And I like your strategy of first building up administration and then going for prestige by all means. I typically start out the same way (with bureaucrat NFs) but I've never been so aggressive with prestige wars.

Yeah, I started buttering GB up immediately after their revolution. I do not want them on my back.

The culture-related ones are quite useful before forming India. There's a few of them--one for the Pashtuns, one of the Sindi, and one for the... Avadhi? The culture group to the immediate east of the Panjabi. The rule of the maharajah one is nice, too, but for whatever reason I tend to have massive reactionary problems with Punjab, so the extra militancy is extremely bothersome. And what's even weirder is that I never have problems with (massive) reactionary revolts with any other unciv.

I'm a big fan of Subcontinental Subtleties, by the way.

Reaction and Counter-Reaction

Two years pass with little to show except for the usual suspects spamming alliance requests at me.

Early in 1847, Russia gets into it with Persia again. They--the Russians, that is--seem determined to gobble the Persians up entirely. I refuse their call to arms.
SorryPersia.png

February 9th, 1847 - I start fabricating an acquire state casus belli on Afghanistan.

June 24th, 1847 - Ah crap, those westernization decisions came back to bite me in the arse...
Ahcrap.png

I manage to put down this revolt, but only just. I end up losing a few of my modern(ish) brigades in the process, so I replace 'em with irregulars.

July 2nd, 1847 - Afghan menace event (+25% CB acquisition speed). Heck yeah.

November 16th, 1847 - 3.3 infamy incurred when I'm found out.

November 26th, 1847 - Some westernization event involving Bavaria. I tell them to GTFO

Seems Afghanistan's having reactionary problems too. Good for me, bad for them...
Fortuitoustiming.png

March 22nd, 1848 - Acquire State CB completed.

March 25th, 1848 - War were declared.
AfghanistanDoW2.png

June 11th, 1848 - Even pops up that has a choice between a prestige boost/militancy increase and a small decrease in prestige and militancy. I choose the later, having been made paranoid of militancy.

August 14th, 1848 - Afghanistan cedes Kandahar to us.
Kandaharacquired.png

Dang, everyone around me is having trouble with reactionaries...
PoorXinjiang.png

November 11th, 1848 - Xinjiang offers me an alliance. I refuse. Relations with GB increased.

June 20th, 1849 - Westernization event with Austria. Austria gets told to go away.

The Springtime of Nations hits France..
FrenchRevolution.png

Most of 1850 and 1851 was spent refusing alliance from every minor country in the region. I do manage to get my relations with GB up to 117, though.

Late in 1851, a flu pandemic hits. Great.
FluPandemic.png

Wallonia is taken over by Anarcho-liberals. Yes, this was the most interesting thing to happen in 1852, and it didn't even happen to me.
WalloniaAnarcho-liberals.png

1853 is similarly uneventful, though I do start fabricating a conquest CB against Afghanistan on the first of December.

April 20th, 1853 - 14.1 infamy incurred due to that conquest CB. Ouch, but at least it's not 22.

Early in September of 1854, I finally pass a westernization reform..
Firststeptowardswesternization.png

This puts the Sikh Empire at 20% westernization, and, more importantly, gives me the Water-wheel Power tech, which boosts my income significantly. I can now run the sliders at maximum (or the highest I'm willing to go, for military spending) yet still make a (small) profit.

December 30th, 1854 - CB Complete, followed by a declaration of war.
Towar.png

The war is short, since Afghanistan, by this point, has no military whatsoever. We annex them.
AnnexAfghanistan.png

September 27th, 1855 - More reactionaries. Just lovely.
Arrrgh.png

They manage to occupy most of the country--Lahore, thankfully, is spared--but I manage to put them down eventually, but only after letting attrition wear down their doomstack. Too close, just... too close.

Late 1855 to late 1859 - Alliance spam, improving relations with Great Britain, and a few very minor reactionary revolts here and there. Otherwise, nothing.

So many reactionaries. I always have this problem with the Sikh Empire. And it's entirely because my pops, for whatever reason, weren't getting all of their life needs for whatever reason. And then, in September 1859, they suddenly started fulfilling those needs. Now my budget looks like this...
Weird.png

Not perfect, but it's way better than those pies being entirely yellow.

Huh, when did I raise tariffs?

I will be following this

The next update will cover about two decades, since... well, the rate of even semi-interesting things happening slowed down.

Hmmm, Am interesting flow of action. I'm not playing NNM at all, but in AHD i saw UK collapse without my help Only Once and it was in 1880/90s.

As for your game - my consider taking advantage of the situation my annexing delhi, patna and both bengals - huge numbers of pops and a nice literacy around 12%. If not, Maybe get access from UK and annex the best parts of formę puppet states - Awadh, Beroda and Hyderabad?

Hmmm, Am interesting flow of action. I'm not playing NNM at all, but in AHD i saw UK collapse without my help Only Once and it was in 1880/90s.

As for your game - my consider taking advantage of the situation my annexing delhi, patna and both bengals - huge numbers of pops and a nice literacy around 12%. If not, Maybe get access from UK and annex the best parts of formę puppet states - Awadh, Beroda and Hyderabad?

He's still an unciv, so he can't beat the UK yet. And I doubt he'll get military access as an unciv.

I actually have a direct land route to Beroda at the current time, but... well, all of the Indian minors have been re-sphered by now, except for Kutch, Bundelkhund, and Bastar. And only Kutch doesn't have friendly or cordial-bordering-on-friendly relations with the UK.

He's still an unciv, so he can't beat the UK yet. And I doubt he'll get military access as an unciv.

Yeah, beating the UK as an unciv is pretty much a pipe dream, especially for one that borders British India. Simply too many troops, never mind the tech advantage.

Journey to the West

So after not one, but two harrowing encounters with reactionaries, I've become a bit paranoid. Henceforth, I will make every effort to piss off every GP except Great Britain and Russia by telling them to, well, piss off whenever a westernization event pops up.

I've intentionally left out the alliance request spam, since it just won't stop.

June 16th, 1860 - Alliance with Bukkhara dissolved

October 10th, 1860 - Began justifying an acquire state CB on Bukkhara.

Mid-November, 1860
- Socialists arise in... Oldenburg? Weird.

Mid-february, 1861 - CB attempt is discovering, incurring 7.2 infamy.

November 11, 1861 - CB completed. DoW against Bukkhara.
BukkharaDoW.png

No battles are fought, and Bukkhara capitulates after I capture three provinces.
BukkharaVictory.png

Our glorious leader, Ranjit Singh dies.
DeathoftheMaharajah.png

This is bad, because this lowers relations with Great Britain by a whopping 100 points. I promptly begin sucking up to the Brits as hard as I can.

Mid-july, 1865 - The Ottoman Empire becomes Turkey.

July 18th, 1867 - Cholera. Joy.

May 24th, 1868 - Enact the foreign officer training reform.

June 18th, 1868 - Enact army schools.

September 13th, 1869 - Japan undergoes the Meiji Restoration.
MeijiRestoration.png

May 30th, 1870 - Cholera again. Meh

November 10th, 1871 - I begin justifying a conquest CB against Sindh.

Late May, 1872 - CB attempt is caught, incurring 10.6 infamy

Middle of 1873 (forgot to take screenshot, so I'm not entirely sure when) - DoW on Sindh

September 1st, 1873 - King Tut's tomb discovered by Austria.

November 18th, 1873 - Sindh is annexed.
SindhVictory-1.png

March 14th, 1877 - The Italians invent communism.
ItalyCommunism.png

March 16th, 1883 - Begin justifying conquest CB on Kalat.

July 20th, 1883 - CB attempt discovered, incurring 15.4 infamy.

April 20th, 1884 - DoW on Kalat
DoWKalat-1.png

December 26th, 1884 - Kalat is annexed.
AnnexKalat.png

August 16th, 1886 - Imported weapons reform is passed, finally putting us at 100% westernization progress. I immediately click the westernize button. (I passed a few reforms that I forgot to date or screenshot, unfortunately. Was pretty tired when playing this section of the game. Still am, actually)
ImportedWeapons.png

FinallyWesternized.png

Our tech haul for westernizing isn't too bad, considering that we never got sphered. Level 2 in most techs, with a few level 1s here and there. Our research rate also doubled, which is nice. 11.67 is still low, though, so our first priority will be to catch up on the +research techs post-haste.

...still, westernizing took longer than expected. I recall being able to westernize in the mid-1870s in a previous Sikh Empire game. Oh well.

Are you getting really lucky with CBs, or does the mod adjust infamy costs for annexation? (I may have asked this in your last AAR, too. If I did, I'm sorry. :unsure:)