• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Xenophon13

Colonel
104 Badges
Jan 24, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Cities in Motion
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Dungeonland
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
rp-lgflag.gif

Hello all and welcome to my first crack at a single player AAR, featuring the Philippines.

The goal of this AAR is to take the oft-ignored Spanish colony and conquer a nice little empire in SE Asia, and possibly spread Philippine influence even further around the world. The Philippines start off civilized, so they have lots of options for conquest in SE Asia, but they have to struggle against a weak economy and abysmal literacy.

As I mentioned above, this is my first attempt at writing a serious, single player AAR, so any advice and critiques are welcome.

I am playing AHD 2.31 with New Nations Mod Basic (just the new cores, but nothing else) on normal difficulty without cheats.

Table of Contents
[To be added]

Part 1: Early Expansion

220px-Isabel_II_of_Spain.jpg

Isabella II, Queen of Spain

In winter of 1836, Queen Isabella II was faced with a dilemma. The Carlist rebels in the north were gaining power, and her army was woefully unprepared for in insurrection of that extent. She realized that her reign may soon be at an end, and in a final act of spite decided to release Cuba and the Phillipines as independent states in order to weaken the empire that the Carlists would usurp.

v2_1bmp.jpg

v2_3bmp.jpg

v2_4.png

v2_5bmp.jpg

The Philippines were put under the control of their current Governor General, Pedro Antonio Salazar Antillo y Varona. Varona, an ambitious man, immediately began consolidating power in his new fledgling domain. Several new infantry brigades were recruited, shipments of various goods to Spain were recalled, and a campaign to bring in the latest intellectual trends from Europe was started as a way of fostering the development of the Philippine elites: the illustrado.

2516131665_b20da24575.jpg

Governor-General Varona

611-2.jpg

v2_7bmp.jpg

New Filipino recruits

v2_6.png

Varona also started laying out plans to extend control over several nearby areas. Viscous propaganda campaigns deriding the “uncivilized” Hawaiians began stirring up jingoist sentiments. By late 1836, the Philippines had formally declared war on Hawaii, landing three thousand soldiers on their shores. A few months later, the occupation was over and Hawaii became the first Philippine colonial protectorate.

v2_13bmp.jpg

v2_14bmp.jpg

v2_16bmp.jpg

Continuing his growing momentum, Varona set his sights on the Sultanate of Johor and its valuable gold mines. On February 7, 1837, an official declaration of war was sent forth, and the new Philippine army was once again on the march…

v2_11bmp.jpg

v2_17.png

Philipines will have an Spanissification process?

Huzzah!

As a Filipino-American myself, I would like to congratulate the first Philippine AAR for Victoria2.

EXCELSIOR!!!!

Nice early moves. Pls - use the upcoming opportuunity and Take over Java - you will double your population.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

@Gukpa: I must be honest: I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to. If it is the presence of a spanish governor, It is because the Phillipines in this timeline were handed over to the Spanish colonial establishment, and not to Filipino nationals. My plan is to gradually role-play the introduction of concessions to the natives in parallel to political reforms. I hope that answers at least part of your question.

@hoi2geek: As the Philippines are IMO one of the most fun countries to play in V2, the lack of AARs seemed a surprising oversight. Hopefully this AAR will suitably rectify that.

@Avocado Aguila: Am I correct in guessing that the opportunity you refer to is the inevitable "French Colonial Conquest of Dutch Guyana?" If so, I will do my best to strike when I can, although in my experience the Dutch tend to keep a nasty stack of 30,000 somewhere in Indonesia, which is roughly equal to my entire military right now. But we'll see...

Next update will be up probably tomorrow. After that, it depends on when I next get a chance to play. School is pretty busy right now with finals approaching, so I will be keeping a slightly slower update schedule.

Well,I pick the phrase Russification,and change to Spanissification.

Well,I pick the phrase Russification,and change to Spanissification.

In 1836, the Philippines were afaik partly Spanishified. However now that they are independent, there will be an integration process between the Spanish colonists and Filipino natives. Or a bloody revolution. We'll see.

Next update will be up momentarily. It's somewhat short, but the one after it won't be.

Last edited:
Update 2: War with Johore​

On April 17, the Philippine First Army began an amphibious assault on the region surrounding Kuantan. Once safely on shore, they marched south to attack the Johorian army stationed at Johor Bahru. The Filipino troops routed the Sultan Ali’s army, but the Johorians were able to effectively regroup. Using the jungle to their advantage, they fought a surprisingly potent campaign of attrition.

v2_19bmp.jpg

v2_20bmp.jpg

v2_22bmp.jpg

v2_23bmp.jpg

v2_24bmp.jpg

With the addition of 6,000 Filipino reinforcements, however, the Sultan’s army was cornered in Ipoh and crushed entirely, leaving the Filipino troops free reign to occupy the country. By mid-1938, all remaining Johorian resistance had been extinguished, and Johore lay firmly under Filipino control.

v2_28bmp.jpg

v2_29bmp.jpg

v2_32bmp.jpg

Back on the home islands, the only occurrence of note was a violent crackdown on some liberal protesters, who wanted Varon's administration to grant more rights to the voting public.

v2_27bmp.jpg

v2_33bmp.jpg

The Phillipines in 1838

Last edited:
Next target should be Brunei. (They still have Sabah, which we should rectify)

A very interesting choice of nation and a good, action packed start to things. Two wars won, a rather unfortunate uprising but most importantly the Philippines has some font on the map!

Very interesting premise. I'll be lurking (as is my duty).

Thanks! I will endeavour to keep you duly entertained as you go about your duties.

Mindanao had a liberal uprising? That is hilarious

If I knew more about mindanao I would probably agree. As it stands, I'll have to take your word for it. :)

Seems like the cartographers have been seriously mistaken again. Well I guess that's better than having Philippines written over Ethiopia in my game...

I like to think that they were so proud of their conquest, they wanted everyone to know that Johore was part of the Philippines now. regardless, island chains are hard on the poor cartographers.

Next target should be Brunei. (They still have Sabah, which we should rectify)

You're off by one conquest. :)

A very interesting choice of nation and a good, action packed start to things. Two wars won, a rather unfortunate uprising but most importantly the Philippines has some font on the map!

Thanks! Yes, it's good to see your name on some land, even if it's not actually your original territory.

Next update will be up probably this weekend. Cheers, and thanks for following!

Update 3: Westward Expansion

While the Philippine acquisition of Johore was taking place, France attacked the Netherlands for their colonies in Guyuana and got jumped by Prussia and Russia. Unfortunately, the presence of such strong allies for the Dutch precluded any attempt by the Philippines to seize part of Dutch Indonesia.

v2_1bmp.jpg

The Philippine economy was bolstered somewhat by the Johorian gold mines, but was still very prone to market fluctuations. For the next several years, the Philippines would struggle to get a functioning bureaucracy in place to regulate the flow of goods.

v2_4bmp.jpg

v2_15bmp.jpg

In early 1839, an outbreak of cholera occurred on Hawaii. Needless to say, it was not hard to contain.

v2_5bmp.jpg

At the beginnings of 1840, the first semi-free elections of the Philippines began. Varona’s conservative party would win easily, but the fact that they were held at all was an important gesture.

v2_6bmp.jpg

Varona’s program of importing foreign intellectual trends was officially closed midway through 1840. In its wake came a wave of innovation as the fledgling Filipino intelligentsia started to emerge.

v2_9bmp.jpg

v2_10bmp.jpg

During the early 1840’s, Governor-General Varona began to turn his sights further west. In response to a proposal from one of his advisors, the Basque general Marcelino de Oraá Lecumberri, he commissioned an expanded naval facility to be built at Ipoh.

384px-Oraa-Calbo.jpg

Lecumberri

v2_3bmp.jpg

In 1841, there was some contention in the Philippine parliament as to the next target of Philippine expansion. The majority were in favor of annexing Atjeh, while Varona and a small coalition of his supporters wanted to conquer part of Ethiopia. While their plan sounded far-fetched, it had several important advantages. It was clear that the European powers would have limited tolerance for further Philippine expansion, and compared to Atjeh Ethiopia was rich in resources and manpower. Eventually, Varona’s plan would win out, and troops were put into position around Abyssinia.

v2_11bmp.jpg

v2_12bmp.jpg

v2_14bmp.jpg

On February 19, 1841, war was declared and Filipino troops began to march into Ethiopia. The suddenness of their attack allowed one division to march directly to Gonder and dig in.

v2_16bmp.jpg

v2_17bmp.jpg

v2_18bmp.jpg

Although the Ethiopians had many more soldiers, they were poorly trained and equipped. The entire war was actually fought with no major engagements, due to surprising reticence on the part of the Ethiopian leadership. After a few months of occupation and light skirmishes, it became clear that the tide was turning against the Abyssinians.

ethiopian-abyssinia-forces-defend-italy-second-world-war.jpg

Ethiopian soldiers at Aksum

v2_21bmp.jpg

v2_20bmp.jpg

On December 4, the Philippines officially signed a peace deal for the Majority of Ethiopian land. After only five years of independence, the Philippine flag was officially planted on two continents.

v2_22.png

Last edited:
Hooray for a Philippine East Africa.

Now push for either Madagascar or one of the states in India.

Fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Hooray for a Philippine East Africa.

Now push for either Madagascar or one of the states in India.

I'm still contemplating going for Sindh. Southwest Asia can be a good place for conquest, but it eats a lot of infamy.

221309769159294653_covuExem_b.jpg

The Filipino menace must come to an end! March to Manila - Sack Ankober - Burn Johore!

Great AAR. Looking forwards to the next update.