• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cybrxkhan

Going to Scarborough Fair
57 Badges
Jul 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
OLD AGE

Sick of having 70 year old men and women running around as if they were healthy, energetic 20 year olds? Tired of having a series of kings live to the age of 80 as if they had modern healthcare and sanitation? Wondering why your 99 year old marshal is beating the crap out of boys old enough to be his great-great-grandsons?

Worry no more!

This mini-mod, which is part of my mod-in-development, VIET, ensures that older characters suffer from their advanced age. Characters over the age of 50 have an increasingly high chance of getting a new modifier which reduces their health, as well as their martial and intrigue ability (although it slightly raises their learning skill). Pretty much every character will get this modifier by their late 60s, but most will get it sometime in their late 50s to their early 60s. Certain traits will make the event fire sooner, others will make it fire a bit later (but virtually almost every character will get the event by the time they're 70 or so).

Ultimately, with reduced health, old characters will die off more quickly like they should, and you no longer have to worry about these crazy super-powered old folks.

Download HERE!

To install, simply unzip the contents into your mod folder. This mod should be compatible with virtually every other CKII mod out there (a reason why I did this as a modifier and not a trait - adding it as a trait may cause some mild compatibility issues). Yes, it will work even complete overhauls or even other mods that add in other old age traits or modifiers (although I don't know why you'd play both of the mods at the same time then... but yes, you can do that if you really want!)

If any modders wish to use this in their mods, credit would be appreciated.

(As a side note, some of you may be wondering why I didn't make this a trait, like in some other mods: I figured that having old age as a modifier was less messier, and had the less potential for problems, than having it as a trait.)

Screenshots (right click and click view image to view):

Njs7e.jpg

udPv6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Nice idea. Incidentally, I only noticed yesterday that getting smallpox gives a character a unique graphical overlay. It's funny what you miss.

I forgot to say it to the first post (which I will do now), but this mod should be compatible with virtually every other CKII mod out there, even complete overhauls or even other mods that add in old age traits or modifiers (although I don't know why you'd play both of the mods at the same time then... but yes, you can do that if you really want!)

Additionally, if anyone has any suggestions or feedback, please feel free to say so! This is a pretty simple mod so I doubt there needs to be much, other than perhaps tweaking the values of the modifier's effects or the timing of the event.

Nice idea. Incidentally, I only noticed yesterday that getting smallpox gives a character a unique graphical overlay. It's funny what you miss.

It quite is. I'm surprised at how much aout this game I'm still figuring out after all this time. I could effectively "play" the game after about 8 hours, but even now I'm still learning new features and tricks. That's what I like so much about this game - unlike other games, as long as you know the basics, the game doesn't penalize you for sucking and/or not knowing more advanced rules and tricks (unlike other games where's it game over).

I'm gonna check this out as soon as I get home!

Hope you enjoy!

So does this apply when you reach a certain age or is there a bit of leeway for the timing of the event?

There's a bit of leeway. As said in the description, characters will get the event sometime after they turn 50, and generally they'll get it by the time they're in their 50s or 60s. The way the event is coded, they're almost certainly (like 99.999999999999%) guaranteed to get the event by the time they turn 70. I like it this way so it doesn't feel as gamey (ooh, I turn 55 today, I will magically and arbitrarily lose much of my health!). I also forgot to mention in the first post (I'll add it now), but depending on their traits (such as whether they're strong, infirm, diligent, etc.) they might get a bit sooner than they normally would, or a bit normal. But it can only fire for people 50 years or older. (You can test it by starting a game as anyone older than 50 - you'll notice people in their late 60s and above get the event almost immediately (within a month), while people younger than that take several months to even a few years)

Permission to incorporate into Lux Invicta?

Permission to incorporate into Lux Invicta?

Permission granted. Feel free to also use the old age flavor events in VIET.

Which module are they in?

Which module are they in?

Events module. I *think* they are in the health events events file, but I'm not 100% sure.

Love the mod, even added an "advanced old age" evolution that triggers years later for people who have old_age, depending on their traits. Hadn't thought of using event modifiers for this sort of thing before, good idea!

Last edited:
Hi cybrxkhan, and great idea for a mod. I was wondering if I could incorporate this in a mod I've just started working on, It'll probably be called CK2 Realism or something. I think this mod would fit very nicely with what I had in mind, I may or may not tweak it a bit to fit my mod. All credit will be given where due. :)

Last edited:
Hi cybrxkhan, and great idea for a mod. I was wondering if I could incorporate this in a mod I've just started working on, It'll probably be called CK2 Realism or something. I think this mod would fit very nicely with what I had in mind, I may or may not tweak it a bit to fit my mod. All credit will be given where due. :)

Go ahead and feel free to do with it what you wish. :)

Well I just did that tonight for agot mod : It works the same as your event :

At age 0 they get the character modifer "child", wich make them infertile.

between age 12 to 15, girls (I only did that for them for obvious reasons) get's a menstruation event and the modifier is removed (parents informed)

You resurrected this thread after five months and the original post hasn't been edited since last year. How could it be?

@Timych: Just saw your post - anyhow I *think* this mod should be cmpatible with the latest patch and the beta patch. I see no reason why it shouldn't be, but I won't guarantee anything.