• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kami888

General
3 Badges
Jun 19, 2004
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
I know there is an AI variable called recklessness, which, if i interpret it correctly, roughly corresponds to how much risk the AI is willing to take in leaving its flanks unexposed or poorly guarded when attacking. It's useful to set it higher in blitzkrieg situations and lower if you want the AI to exercise greater caution. I recall it working correctly in classic HOI2, but in Darkest Hour it seems to be one of those variables that the AI simply ignores and does its own thing. Even with recklessness set to 0, (and yes, I've doublechecked in the save games to see whether it has in fact been set to zero - it has), the AI still acts incredibly recklessly and consistently leaves its flanks totally 100% exposed, leaving them open for capture even if that would mean encirclement or the loss of the capital, no matter. Again, I don't recall this being as much of a problem in HOI2. What's going on with DH AI and how can one prevent the AI from being so reckless? I'm playing on normal aggressiveness level set in game options, if that makes any difference.

Is there something I am missing, is there another variable I could use to control AI's recklessness?
Ideally, what one would need to do in order to make it less reckless without sacrificing its aggressiveness is to somehow teach it the concept of "support attack" which the AI appears to not know how to use at all really. Right now it seems like it just always directly attacks with everything it has.

Another variable that the AI appears to ignore is the max_front_ratios = { } value. Consider this example:

max_front_ratios = {
IRE = 15.0
}
is set for Britain and all its allies, yet, the AI clearly ignores that value completely and tries to simply match the overall Irish troop numbers, causing an unresolvable stalemate where there should have been a quick victory. Both Britain and allies have plenty of reserves to draw on, but they only consider it proper to bring them to Ireland if Ireland appears to have more troops. Otherwise, they are quite content with letting a stalemate persist for eternity.

Hell, I'm not even sure if the AI is reading the overall max_front_ratio value. "max_front_ratio = 1.3" is set for the UK and everyone else, but does this look like a 1.3 ratio to you?

What can I do to make the AI behave appropriately? For both issues, I've tried a whole lot of things, none of which made any difference. AI experts, please help.

Last edited:
No ideas? =/
Come on Torres and Co, you guys worked on this baby for so long, you've got to have some idea what it's doing and why.

Does this perhaps belong more in the user modifications section?

BTW i'm still on 1.02 if that matters.