Loa Cube Cost and Survey Time
Greetings Carbon Beings,
I've just started Loa game with default settings and two things came quickly to my mind:
1. Cube cost is huge, to build a fleet of a Command Ship and 8 Armors you need about 178000 cube points, and 35,000 cube points costed me 650,000 energy so building such fleet costs about 3,300,000 energy. That's a LOT. Of course you can transform a fleet into something else...
2. I've set survey mission with proper admiral (Pathfinder) and it will take 20 turns to surver + 4 turns of flight both ways. Is it suppose to take so many turns? Star system has only two planets? Does it takes so long for Loa only, or there's a bug?
That's just for first turn...
Thanks for comments
Remember, survey 'calculation' is based on the number of ships (and type) etc. Since you are sending a "cube" there that "morphs" into the ships you want, I'm guessing that calculation is based on just that cube (a poor surveyer to be sure I'm betting).
Fleet landed in surveyed system as: Command ship and Supply ship, and there are still 22 turns to finish surveying. Maybe number of ships is too low to survey quickly, as you said.
Oh yeah, BIG time, especially the ship types, a command ship and supply. Hehe Unless that command ship had like advanced sensors or something which might improve it a little bit but a supply ship, basically it's a big box with an engine strapped on it. hehe
I played a little and what I found out:
1. Survey fleet - it was written: survey time 22 turns, but after 2 turns system was surveyed and fleet started to come back to home base. Unfortunatelly it is flying very slow without NPG deployed between star systems (about 0.75 ly per turn). So after three turns of flying back home it was written: survey time 25 turns (or so). So I guess it's a bug. It shows wrong turn time for survey.
2. Producing ships is cheaper than producing row cubes. Producing 35,000 cubes costs about 650,000 energy, and producing 2 Armors worth 39,000 cubes costs about 378,000 energy.
3. Loa needs to deploy NPG between system to move quickly, more accurately between every 5,0 ly distance it needs one NPG, which costs about 4,800 cubes (if I remember correctly). So if you want survey system, you need to send two fleets to come back quickly from there. One which surveys system, and another which builds NPGs.
4. Overall cost of expansion for Loa is bigger than other races, I guess, so Loa expands slower (building NPGs cost, colony ship cost - one colony ship is needed to create new colony and it gets destroyed in the process). I don't know if it is balanced properly.
5. Can other races destroy NPGs which are between star systems? Like sending fleet to destroy NPG in space?
Anyone who plays Loa please write comments
Their ships might be more expensive, BUT remember that any ship can become any other ship, so you are never in the situation where some ships do nothing, also the load doesn't need to prototype ships.
About expansion, after playing for a few hours yesterday with the loa they seem to expand much faster, not slower - their new colonies never give negative income (as they do for other races) and so you can get back the cost of a 'lost' coloniser really fast - i had 20+ colonies after only around 50 turns...
Also remember that every colony you produce is one planet more which is quite unatractive for other races
Sooo what's the point in building cubes at all, if I can just build ships for half the price and then reduce them to cubes?
I've read on Kerberos forum, that it's a glitch, and I shouldn't be like that.
Originally Posted by Muhu
Something drastic happened to cube costs this past patch, and I'm really hoping it is a bug.
My first game as Loa, which was before 1.1.24320.1, my starting command ship cost about 14k cubes, and the basic armor ship cost about 8k cubes(this was with the technology from 10 starting techs). All my basic fleets could do their jobs and morph into the basic profile for their job.
Post-patch, my starting command ship costs about 43k cubes, and the basic armor ship costs 24k cubes(so looks like cube costs tripled?). The command ship takes up all of the cubes for the starting fleets on its own, so you can't make any other ships to actually do their job. The most cut down command ship I could make(light mass drivers and gauss guns everywhere) was a little over 20k cubes still.
This makes Loa pretty much unplayable I think.
Yep very unplayable. Cube costs and ship points need to be balanced big time
I had the same issue but I figured out a workaround.
Originally Posted by Khisanth Magus
Basically I had started a new game and gave myself 10 starter techs. This includes whatever tech gives you the strafe section, which for whatever reason is given to the command design you start with, and when coupled with reflective coating and polysilicate alloy upgrades (which are automatically given to all starting designs if your starter techs allow for it) my starter command design cost 46k cubes making it impossible to do anything with the templates I had or the cubes in the "fleets" i had. So I redesigned the command ship entirely, named "Utility Command", replaced Strafe with Standard command, removed the armor upgrades, went into the fleet templates by right clicking a fleet in my home system and deleted all the existing templates. Boom, now I have a command ship that costs less than 15k cubes.
If you do something like that and remove the armor upgrade from the assimilator (colony) ship, you can make a colony fleet template with 3 colony ships and a utility command.
You may also want to do the same with the starting warship design (although maybe not as drastic).