+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Age Mod - A Mod for Victoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by FelixCress View Post
    Having population represented as 10% gives one extra advantage: we would have less military units.
    The size requirements for units could also be scaled to population, though, iirc. If everyone's scaled equally, it shouldn't make a difference whether it's 10% or 1000%.
    Interactive AARs:
    Mutual Assured Destruction: The Presidents 1836-1936: Former Vice President William Gallatin
    Forward the Revolution(s)!: A Federation of "Equals" : Naval Officer Klemens Haas

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    Having population represented as 10% gives one extra advantage: we would have less military units.
    If you make soldiers and officers capital POPs and increase brigade size to say 10,000 or something (making them divisions), you shouldn't have a problem.

You can also do what APD does and make the number of soldier POPs requires for a brigade less than there actually are in a brigade.

It's really what Gloa and ZomgK3tchup says. I will make it with the originally planed pops, if I see anything slower, I will change it to be 10% less.

Updating:
    I already worked on political and social reforms. Too much changes for me to talk individually, but I will give the main changes. First, I removed ALL colonial immigration modifiers. I adjusted immigration attraction, the maximum you will get for the best social reforms is 2.5%. Having low or no, let's say, healthcare will make pops less likely to immigrate to your country. The "standard" level of the reforms is adjusted to the modern standards. A country with Universal Voting doesn't gain nothing, a country with landed voting gets a penalty to immigration, and a country with no voting gets a massive penalty to immigration and a bonus to suppression points(Will probably change to efficiency, though). Healthcare, education, most social reforms have an "acceptable" level, between acceptable and low. Anything lower, penalty to immigration and other "penalties". Anything higher small bonus to immigrant attraction and other benefits.

But not everything is bad. A country with no free press will attract less immigrants, and having free press will give you none, but having no or state controlled press you will give you suppression points and suppression efficiency, along with maybe another "bonuses" like decreased militancy by "fear"(these are less common, more commonly you will get something suppression related).

Copy the image address and post it in a new tab to open the 1920x1080 version of the image.

North Korea, for example, has 150% suppression points bonus for being one repressive country. I will change it so it will have at max 100% suppression points bonus and 100% efficiency, but the basics are laid out. This will permit the regime to maintain itself for a lot of time but it can't prevent a massive rebellion, like the ones we are watching now in some countries. I always found the suppression system less used than it should be in Vicky 2, and this can be used to represent less free countries.

And I still didn't make my mind about the whole developing/undeveloped in place of the civilized/uncivilized system, although I'm leaning mostly to the first option.
    Next time, I will talk about other changes and bring some more screens. I think I will re-do this, pop ideology change, techs and finish integration with the mods I get authorization and then I will release it. Pops modification give a lot of work and I should release some versions before it.

For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Blog Entries
    At the very least, you should make officers and soldiers state capital POPs and possibly clergymen and clerks for simplicity's sake and to represent the existence of major universities in cities and other urban areas.

This would definitely cut down on potential lag.

Increasing the size of individual units from brigades to divisions would also be preferable since it would be significantly easier to micromanage armies and prevent the world from becoming (too) bloated with units. You have countries like China, North Korea, and the United States with a million plus active soldiers, after all.

This should alleviate most slowdown caused by POPs; it's not the number of POPs but the different types of POPs that cause slowdown. Consolidating POPs and units to compensate for more would definitely solve any potential issues and make things a lot less stressful.

The differentiation between developed and undeveloped countries would be useful for balance issues and help simulate the very noticeable difference between, say, Denmark and Nigeria. If such a feature didn't exist, Nigeria could be a significantly wealthier country than Denmark in about twenty years with the right research.

Nice dev diary.

Quote Originally Posted by arkhometha View Post
    and a country with no voting gets a massive penalty to immigration and a bonus to suppression points(Will probably change to efficiency, though)
    Maybe decreased pop luxury needs or something like that?

But not everything is bad. A country with no free press will attract less immigrants, and having free press will give you none, but having no or state controlled press you will give you suppression points and suppression efficiency, along with maybe another "bonuses" like decreased militancy by "fear"(these are less common, more commonly you will get something suppression related).
    I'd imagine censored or state controlled press could give you bonuses in (random brainstorming):
    - Increased ruling party support.
    - Avoidance of scandal events that could hit nations with free press (anything from government corruption, exposure of any poor reforms they had, and revealing spies or other diplomatic blunders)
    - Perhaps the ability to set an extra national focus.
    - On a similar mindset, a set of decisions where you could pick, every couple of years, to give the press a certain propaganda goal (for state controlled press only). Increasing jingoism, increasing ruling party support, decreasing militancy, decreasing CON, increasing literacy, increasing pop promotion/demotion for specific pop types), increasing/decreasing pop needs, reducing war exhaustion, etc.) which would place a modifier over the nation. After two years, you could use a decision to pick another one if you wanted (which would remove the old modifier and put the new one in - otherwise the old one would remain in force. This list of possible choices would only appear when you chose a "show media goals" decision, sort of like the national value decisions in PDM)
    - You could change national values whenever you wanted (or at least much easier and faster than a state with free press - Ruling Party Only might also help with this).
    Interactive AARs:
    Mutual Assured Destruction: The Presidents 1836-1936: Former Vice President William Gallatin
    Forward the Revolution(s)!: A Federation of "Equals" : Naval Officer Klemens Haas

Blog Entries
    While I'm at it, here are a couple useful links.

Here are the 2012 Great Powers and SOI tables made by Hibernian for the original modern-day scenario.

And:

Here is a revised color map made by Hibernian. If you send me the common folder for the mod so far, I could transfer over the new colors if you like them enough.

Edit: The 1992 scenario starts almost a week after the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Is this intention, or do you plan to move that date back a few days so that the first bookmark starts with the possibility of the USSR surviving?

At the very least, you should make officers and soldiers state capital POPs and possibly clergymen and clerks for simplicity's sake and to represent the existence of major universities in cities and other urban areas.
    I thought about that some time ago, but including less pops. I will do it, but I will put clergymen, officers and maybe bureaucrats (if I do this with the bureaucrats it will probably give me another problem), soldier and officers in the state capital (or big city).

Increasing the size of individual units from brigades to divisions would also be preferable since it would be significantly easier to micromanage armies and prevent the world from becoming (too) bloated with units. You have countries like China, North Korea, and the United States with a million plus active soldiers, after all.
    This was in the plans, but I didn't thought of renaming it to divisions. Thanks!

The differentiation between developed and undeveloped countries would be useful for balance issues and help simulate the very noticeable difference between, say, Denmark and Nigeria. If such a feature didn't exist, Nigeria could be a significantly wealthier country than Denmark in about twenty years with the right research.
    Okay, you convinced me. I will do it, but I will probably make it harder to reach developed status, with the exception of China.

Nice dev diary.
    hahahah It's not really a Dev Diary, you guys are helping me so much that by posting the changes I'm doing it can help with suggestions and spotting possible problems. Also, shows mod development is not stalled.

Maybe decreased pop luxury needs or something like that?
    Didn't think of that, will add.

I'd imagine censored or state controlled press could give you bonuses in (random brainstorming):
    - Increased ruling party support.
    I think it already gives that.

- Avoidance of scandal events that could hit nations with free press (anything from government corruption, exposure of any poor reforms they had, and revealing spies or other diplomatic blunders)
    Maybe I can do this in corruption caused by crimes and events. Since there will be no vanilla events in the mod, the general ones that could be avoided with state or no press, like a scandal, will not happen on those countries. Maybe a special event for people actually avoiding it, like Chinese internet users do some times.

- Perhaps the ability to set an extra national focus.
    Not sure I can put it in the reforms sections. There's a lot of things I'd like to do, like giving consciousness only to pops with certain ideologies, like reactionaries with open borders, but there's a lot I don't know/can't make it work because there's not a lot of info on these commands for the reforms section, and the ones for events are different.

- On a similar mindset, a set of decisions where you could pick, every couple of years, to give the press a certain propaganda goal (for state controlled press only). Increasing jingoism, increasing ruling party support, decreasing militancy, decreasing CON, increasing literacy, increasing pop promotion/demotion for specific pop types), increasing/decreasing pop needs, reducing war exhaustion, etc.) which would place a modifier over the nation. After two years, you could use a decision to pick another one if you wanted (which would remove the old modifier and put the new one in - otherwise the old one would remain in force. This list of possible choices would only appear when you chose a "show media goals" decision, sort of like the national value decisions in PDM)
    Well thought, I will add these when I work on decisions.

- You could change national values whenever you wanted (or at least much easier and faster than a state with free press - Ruling Party Only might also help with this).
    Not sure about this one, although it makes sense I'm not sure I can prevent dictatorships of adopting liberty as their NV.

I also forgot to mention in the last post that I'm taking out slaves completely. The slaves mechanic in vanilla is broken (slave pops don't grow so enabling slavery is useless) and while I could left it there and add a decision to enslave minorities and unaccepted pops, so it would become meaningful again, it would not be really contemporary and it could get me banned from here. So I will take the slavery decision on the politics reforms and transform it on something else, possibly if the country has or or not specific legislation on cyber crimes, although I don't have a specific effect in mind. Also adding a lot of malus to suppression points for more free countries, up to 100%. This will not prevent them fro having suppression points but it will make it slower. I also nerfed a lot of reforms, specially the education one, and together with the nerf the cultural tech tree that gave education eff, this should make research slower and way more important. But anyway, that can be changed later.

Aside from that, I'm stuck with some annoying error that crashes the mod whenever I change the reforms icons for one with a new name. If I name it politics_new.dds it crashes, if I name the same file politics_slavery.dds (the name of an already existent file) it does not. Annoying, but I have some fall back plan to give more variety to reforms icons of IOOA if Thunder give me permission to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomgK3tchup View Post
    While I'm at it, here are a couple useful links.

Here are the 2012 Great Powers and SOI tables made by Hibernian for the original modern-day scenario.

And:

Here is a revised color map made by Hibernian. If you send me the common folder for the mod so far, I could transfer over the new colors if you like them enough.

Edit: The 1992 scenario starts almost a week after the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Is this intention, or do you plan to move that date back a few days so that the first bookmark starts with the possibility of the USSR surviving?
    Thanks for this!

It is intentional, I choose the year a new world order was born, and the fall of the USSR is a significant fact. Aside from that, it has other logical motives: so I can put techs and units more efficiently, since I know the past. Also, a lot of techs start in 1972 and I plan to add a cold war scenario once the mod is done. I could push it a few days back but I don't really think the USSR had the power to survive the glasnost and perestroika, much less Gorbachev and Yeltsin.

EDIT: I will send it to you, or better yet, I will put it online for anyone who wants to take a look. It will not be finished and it will be not playable, but it also doesn't make sense just put the commons folder. Also, be mindful I will change some countries colors, namely from the UK and from Japan, for I don't know why, but by the life of me pink UK and white Japan bothers me to no end.

Blog Entries
    EDIT: I will send it to you, or better yet, I will put it online for anyone who wants to take a look. It will not be finished and it will be not playable, but it also doesn't make sense just put the commons folder. Also, be mindful I will change some countries colors, namely from the UK and from Japan, for I don't know why, but by the life of me pink UK and white Japan bothers me to no end.
    I felt the same way too. I think a light red would be a good compromise for the UK with England being a deeper red like what we have in vanilla. Japan should definitely keep its AHD color though; I'm a fan of that red.

But either way, let me know what you need help with. Finals are almost finished, so I have a lot of free time on my hands starting next week.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Sweet. Just remember to give Norway oil, eh?

Love the ideas, love the concept, just please implement it right lol.
    Anyway side from that I had a thought, what if (since its 1992/1993) maybe give the player the ability to go into Somalia, but not "to war" with them?
    There are a few other things floating around in my head, but I'll wait till a basic working alpha/(pre-alpha?). One thing I will say though is with the current mod (the one you're using) it takes me at least 6 years to build my army as the US, as for some reason you start with none. Not sure if that was just me or how it' is for everyone. That and I think annexing Britain is bugged (warning you if you are using the basic blocks of the original, there might be a problem there.)

Have a nice day

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourSemper Fi
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club

about inmigration, are you planning just the immigrants to become from the host culture or creating new cultures (for example: algerians in France becoming french-algerians)
    Hei, hei, heißa! juchei!
    Die Wallensteiner zieh'n vorbei
    Hei, hei, heißa juchei
    Trum, trum, terum tum tum

My first AAR :Glauben! Kämpfen! Siegen! (A DWI Germany AAR): http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...I-Germany-AAR)

I felt the same way too. I think a light red would be a good compromise for the UK with England being a deeper red like what we have in vanilla. Japan should definitely keep its AHD color though; I'm a fan of that red.

But either way, let me know what you need help with. Finals are almost finished, so I have a lot of free time on my hands starting next week.
    Okay, I need first to put some order and priority to the changes and define short term goals. Right now I work on something then I move to something related and so on. You have any graphical skills? I have the images but god I suck so much at organizing images in little icon bars so I can change military icons.

Quote Originally Posted by guillec87 View Post
    about inmigration, are you planning just the immigrants to become from the host culture or creating new cultures (for example: algerians in France becoming french-algerians)
    They will turn into the main culture. Pop cultures will represent more or less citizenship status, so when a pop assimilates, he is given citizenship and officially turns into a citizen. Few exceptions will prevail, like afro-americans and french-canadians.
    The new culture model would be preferable but it would lead to a potentially massive slowdown and I don't even know if that's possible because pops assimilate obligatorily in the primary culture, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by DasPresidente View Post
    Love the ideas, love the concept, just please implement it right lol.
    Anyway side from that I had a thought, what if (since its 1992/1993) maybe give the player the ability to go into Somalia, but not "to war" with them?
    There are a few other things floating around in my head, but I'll wait till a basic working alpha/(pre-alpha?). One thing I will say though is with the current mod (the one you're using) it takes me at least 6 years to build my army as the US, as for some reason you start with none. Not sure if that was just me or how it' is for everyone. That and I think annexing Britain is bugged (warning you if you are using the basic blocks of the original, there might be a problem there.)

Have a nice day
    That's because SiR was integrated. It will be not anymore, production times will be almost the same ones as vanilla, only a little more for tanks(cavalry) and jets(artillery). I will deal with these changes soon enough, I just finished commerce tech and I will think I will go to Military Tech tree next. I will release a prealpha, it will not be really playable and it will not be on the OP. Once I finish tech tress/developed-in developing-undeveloped countries changes maybe I will release an alpha, but that will still be unplayable because there will be no OOBs, alliances, events or decisions. The US doesn't start with any units because default OOB isn't set, so it is for everyone. I want to set it after I redo the military tech tree and units and since it's tied to pops, after I finish the country population. So it can take a while.
    I don't know about annexing britain but I'm reworking everything so I don't even think that decision will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimic View Post
    Sweet. Just remember to give Norway oil, eh?
    Geez don't even remember me. I will rework some provinces and I want to make oil the black gold, because the real gold will be remove and one or two gold producing provinces will remain.

Small Update, I finished the commerce tech tree, I just need to put the new images.

Same thing as before, copy the image address and open it in another tab to see the full version.

I also revisited some changes I made on the culture screen, but I didn't touch the modifiers yet. I'm doing it it right now, but it should be a lot like vanilla, one big change the mod will see is the removal and reduce of RGOs reduces by tech. This mechanic was implemented in Vicky 2 to simulate mechanization in the field and the growing farmers turning craftsmen and subsequent industrialization. Since we have countries that export a lot of commodities and since I'm doing pops on hand and since we have a LOT of people on the world, RGO diminution is not really necessary. Hell I even have some near full RGOs on the USA states I modified.
    I'm somewhat proud of this work because everything up to the fourth line is based on real world theories/economics, the fifth is what could happen next in some specialists opinions and the last one is so in the future and so vague it doesn't bothers me so much. Of course there are some "adaptations", the Bretton Woods System was in effect from 1940 up to 1970 and the dollar standard is older than the activation date it haves (1972), but I did that when I had no other options left or for the sake of activation year balance. I also have a lot of ideas for inventions and if I can make it I will make some unique, meaning the first country to research it will be the only one with it and all others who try to "invent" it will receive a massive malus that will turn inventing it impossible, indefinitely or until the patent falls or the invention becomes widespread. Also, some inventions for specific areas of the globe.

Next time I plant to share a little abut the warfare aspect, the new units, how dig-in cap will be represented (cyberwarfare) and how I will try to put ballistics and missiles in game (not like an unity, but probably like a bonus, small thing but big bonus, really. Think gas attacks).

EDIT:
    Also, If anyone's wants to suggest techs or ask why I put X in place, or make corrections(if a suitable substitute for the thing being corrected is presented), feel free to ask/talk about it. Most things you can find on google but if anyone wants info on them, I will gladly talk about it.

The commerce techs look good to me. I can't really comment that much in that field, but it seems fairly balanced and comprehensive.

Okay, you convinced me. I will do it, but I will probably make it harder to reach developed status, with the exception of China.
    It takes quite a long time to reach civilized levels in the regular game. Given recent progress of developing nations, I don't think that speed is unreasonable. Reactionaries (representing civil wars and warlords as well) can take care of some, and there could be greater political resistance by some parties (or other maluses to research and modifiers which increase uncivilized technology costs if nations are more corrupt), can take care of things too.

Maybe I can do this in corruption caused by crimes and events. Since there will be no vanilla events in the mod, the general ones that could be avoided with state or no press, like a scandal, will not happen on those countries. Maybe a special event for people actually avoiding it, like Chinese internet users do some times.
    But scandal events could be made fairly easily based on vanilla ones (or new concepts, but the events wouldn't be that complex). There's been many large and small scandals for governments with freer press, from Wikileaks style releases to papers digging up expensive political parties to dissent about corrupt voting or oppressing governments.

Not sure about this one, although it makes sense I'm not sure I can prevent dictatorships of adopting liberty as their NV.
    Just set the AI weight in the decisions to never take such NV's, or to only take them occasionally given certain modifiers. Dictators, juntas, and single party states can decide they want to turn the nation around and eventually relinquish control - or at least turn the state more toward such ideals. There might have to be some conditions to change to the more liberal kinds of values (especially for more bureaucratic dictatorships), but a little variation might be possible given that they control the organs of the state and the press.

Another similar concept would be changing tech schools more easily (perhaps instead of academic chaos, or whatever the modifier is, they'd get a lesser modifier - or just get the same modifier for a slightly shorter time period because they can use all media and state control to push for the new technological focus), although the choices would have to be rather limited to avoid being too overpowered.

I also forgot to mention in the last post that I'm taking out slaves completely. The slaves mechanic in vanilla is broken (slave pops don't grow so enabling slavery is useless) and while I could left it there and add a decision to enslave minorities and unaccepted pops, so it would become meaningful again, it would not be really contemporary and it could get me banned from here. So I will take the slavery decision on the politics reforms and transform it on something else, possibly if the country has or or not specific legislation on cyber crimes, although I don't have a specific effect in mind.
    Perhaps:
    - Patent Law and Copyrights (and enforcement of the above).
    (would affect foreign investments, perhaps - might be better as one of the uncivilized tech/reforms, as a way of developing a system where global business is comfortable with you)

- Internet and other communications freedom. Something like:
    : Blocked. Created by reactionary rebels and rare dictatorship decisions. Also available for states like N. Korea.
    : Great Firewall. For more restrictive censorship. Stuff like the Chinese system, where there's fairly automatic censorship.
    : State Censorship. For lighter censorship and less speedy censorship. States which will take down site access at the drop of a hat, but don't really have a system built up to do so without it being brought to their attention first.
    : Free Discourse.
    (this would be distinct from Press reforms because it's focused on people's communications with each other rather than just the media. It could give bonuses to research but also buffs to Consciousness, reform desire, rebel organization, and perhaps some negative events for more repressive states)

Geez don't even remember me. I will rework some provinces and I want to make oil the black gold, because the real gold will be remove and one or two gold producing provinces will remain.
    Yeah, a lot of the late game resources are pretty major in the modern world. Much greater demand for cars and planes - maybe even make a "fuel" good (made by a Refinery factory from crude oil - while industry would have other uses for crude oil itself) as a major need for pops? (if there isn't such a thing already - I don't pay too much attention to the late game goods)

Since we have countries that export a lot of commodities and since I'm doing pops on hand and since we have a LOT of people on the world, RGO diminution is not really necessary. Hell I even have some near full RGOs on the USA states I modified.
    Have the RGO's been updated at all? Given the different populations (and some oddness in vanilla), RGO sizes and life ratings might need to be looked at. There's a whole lot of room for farming and mining (and oil) in places that were basically empty in Victorian times.

Next time I plant to share a little abut the warfare aspect, the new units, how dig-in cap will be represented (cyberwarfare) and how I will try to put ballistics and missiles in game (not like an unity, but probably like a bonus, small thing but big bonus, really. Think gas attacks).
    Is dig-in that much different nowadays from Victorian times?

I think a more gas-attack like effect would be things like closer air support (a major difference between the more technologically developed armies and larger but less tech'd up armies - but the effect would quickly be lost if the other side had similar air superiority developments), and potentially irregular warfare (an IED invention could give bonuses to attack - nullified by an IED defense which you'd be more likely to invent if at war with someone with IED's, for example - same for other initially effective but counterable kinds of warfare less developed nations might use). I'm not sure ballistics have as much of an effect in regular combat.

There's a whole lot of reds (and nations which have good reasons to be red), though. Especially with China right there.

I think white or off-white is pretty good for Japan, given the circumstances. It won't be so easy to mistake, but it fits with the other colors (and in game it will be less jarring - Austria in vanilla worked fine, in my opinion, so Japan should as well).
    Interactive AARs:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloa View Post
    There's a whole lot of reds (and nations which have good reasons to be red), though. Especially with China right there.
    England and the UK would never exist at the same time, preferably, so that wouldn't be an issue.

About the techs, the only minor inconsistency that I see is the use of "Neo" as a word versus "Neo" compounded as a word and then "Neo-" as a prefixes. Preferably, the use of should be consistent across the board. Also, what is "Bretton Woods II"? Would it be preferable to call it "Advanced Bretton Woods System" or differentiate between "Early Bretton Woods System" and "Late Bretton Woods System"?

In regards to priorities, I find it easiest to make a list of what needs to be done and then keep a change log of everything done thus far.

About graphics, I'm not very good with making icons, but I'm decent with doing backgrounds and wallpapers and stuff like that. I put this together as the menu screen for an alternate history modification I did once.

England and the UK would never exist at the same time, preferably, so that wouldn't be an issue.
    I meant for Japan.

About the techs, the only minor inconsistency that I see is the use of "Neo" as a word versus "Neo" compounded as a word and then "Neo-" as a prefixes. Preferably, the use of should be consistent across the board. Also, what is "Bretton Woods II"? Would it be preferable to call it "Advanced Bretton Woods System" or differentiate between "Early Bretton Woods System" and "Late Bretton Woods System"?
    Bretton Woods II seems to be a popular name for it.
    Interactive AARs:

It takes quite a long time to reach civilized levels in the regular game. Given recent progress of developing nations, I don't think that speed is unreasonable. Reactionaries (representing civil wars and warlords as well) can take care of some, and there could be greater political resistance by some parties (or other maluses to research and modifiers which increase uncivilized technology costs if nations are more corrupt), can take care of things too.
    The corruption idea for holding them out seems good. Still, I will still increase the requirements because a LOT of countries will start as in-development, and with military reforms. Or I will just give a massive malus for them.

But scandal events could be made fairly easily based on vanilla ones (or new concepts, but the events wouldn't be that complex). There's been many large and small scandals for governments with freer press, from Wikileaks style releases to papers digging up expensive political parties to dissent about corrupt voting or oppressing governments.
    Hmm, I completely agree.

Just set the AI weight in the decisions to never take such NV's, or to only take them occasionally given certain modifiers. Dictators, juntas, and single party states can decide they want to turn the nation around and eventually relinquish control - or at least turn the state more toward such ideals. There might have to be some conditions to change to the more liberal kinds of values (especially for more bureaucratic dictatorships), but a little variation might be possible given that they control the organs of the state and the press.

Another similar concept would be changing tech schools more easily (perhaps instead of academic chaos, or whatever the modifier is, they'd get a lesser modifier - or just get the same modifier for a slightly shorter time period because they can use all media and state control to push for the new technological focus), although the choices would have to be rather limited to avoid being too overpowered.
    Got it, still the problem of implementing some new NVs still persists and taking the change NVs decision from PDM. I will ask Naselus for that. I have some NVs ideas on my mind, and doing it it's not hard, but god damn I hate doing icon bars.
    About the tech schools, I didn't put much thought on that. I will probably keep the vanilla ones but just put some new names on it, in the future I might revisit it. One thing is for sure, Germany will start with almost no techs but with a special tech school: Ordoliberalism or Wirtschaftswunder.

Perhaps:
    - Patent Law and Copyrights (and enforcement of the above).
    IF I get the authorization to implement Issues of Our Age from Thunder, patent laws will already be there. About the internet freedom, I thought about that but I feel it kinda fits in the free press thing. Maybe I could separate them, since Internet is really a big thing and some countries, like Argentina, are getting a more or less state controlled media while having free internet.

Yeah, a lot of the late game resources are pretty major in the modern world. Much greater demand for cars and planes - maybe even make a "fuel" good (made by a Refinery factory from crude oil - while industry would have other uses for crude oil itself) as a major need for pops? (if there isn't such a thing already - I don't pay too much attention to the late game goods)
    I'm almost sure fuel is in Vicky 2.
    I never modded RGOs myself but I hear Vicky 2 economy is at a fine balance. My main fear is screwing up too much this balance. While oil is in much demand, I fear if I put too much demand in, not enough will be produced and we will end with rising oil prices, population turning poor, military (because tanks will require fuel) going downhill and massive world chaos. Would be fun to see it happen, not so fun when the game ends unplayable because of it. I have some ideas for new goods, goods that will be extinct and all, and I will talk about this soon. I'm still not sure I should keep gold at all, and replacing gold by Oil(making oil pure money) will come with it's own set of problems.

Is dig-in that much different nowadays from Victorian times?
    Yes. In my opinion, dig in was put in place to simulate the rising trench warfare until the Trench War, WWI. The problem is, it's kinda bugged because since enemies can retreat to behind enemies lines, you can't make a effective trench war by pushing one line of soldiers farther away. Air support will be represented as artillery, since jets will be the new artillery. Missile attack/anti-missile defense was one of the things I thought that could represent missiles and ballistic warfare. I still have the nightmare of putting ICBMs and nuclear weaponry, and while I have all ideas to set it up already, it will be a nightmare to code decisions and events for it, and to simulate how many nukes a given country has, or even how they produce more. But that will be more close to the end of the mod, I still have many things to change.

I think white or off-white is pretty good for Japan, given the circumstances.
    C'mon, it looks like Japan is empty. I'm fine with China Yellow and Japan Red, to be honest.

Sorry for that, English is not my native language and all. I will choose a consistent way of writing it and put it in all in. Thanks a lot! Also, there's a lot of "neo"s because it seems economists like this word a lot. It's like lawyers with Latin phrases.
    Bretton Woods II is a system some leaders and politicians are calling upon now days, to solve the crisis and all.

In regards to priorities, I find it easiest to make a list of what needs to be done and then keep a change log of everything done thus far.
    I usually do this, and I'm keeping my changelog public for this first release. But since I have a LOT of things to change, and I can't prioritize, I'm changing a lot of things. For example, to change the industry techs I want to change some available goods and implement others, for factory unlocks and all. Still, I think I will stick to redoing the all tech trees and finish integrating mods, then I will release and decide upon phase 2.

About graphics, I'm not very good with making icons, but I'm decent with doing backgrounds and wallpapers and stuff like that. I put this together as the menu screen for an alternate history modification I did once.
    Wow, that looks awesome. If you have the free time, could you please do something with this, this and maybe this for the main screen background? I have some loading screens images put aside too but I didn't had the time to put them in.
    Also, I'm releasing the pre-alpha unplayable version once I get one final mod authorization.

The corruption idea for holding them out seems good. Still, I will still increase the requirements because a LOT of countries will start as in-development, and with military reforms. Or I will just give a massive malus for them.
    The starting point could be set pretty far back. Starting military and political/economic reforms that almost everyone would have could be just a 5 or 10% starting point. Combined with slower research and events/decisions/rebels which can roll back reforms (or just make certain reforms much more costly - Sanctions or Unstable Government could make economic reforms cost a lot more, for example), it shouldn't need that much of an increase for requirements.

IF I get the authorization to implement Issues of Our Age from Thunder, patent laws will already be there. About the internet freedom, I thought about that but I feel it kinda fits in the free press thing. Maybe I could separate them, since Internet is really a big thing and some countries, like Argentina, are getting a more or less state controlled media while having free internet.
    I think there's a difference between media policies (newspapers, journals, magazines, radio, television) and communications policies (blocked websites, blocking Twitter/Facebook/Google, censoring search results, cutting internet access, cutting phone connections, monitoring cell phones, etc.) - which are often more loose.

I'm almost sure fuel is in Vicky 2.
    I never modded RGOs myself but I hear Vicky 2 economy is at a fine balance. My main fear is screwing up too much this balance. While oil is in much demand, I fear if I put too much demand in, not enough will be produced and we will end with rising oil prices, population turning poor, military (because tanks will require fuel) going downhill and massive world chaos. Would be fun to see it happen, not so fun when the game ends unplayable because of it. I have some ideas for new goods, goods that will be extinct and all, and I will talk about this soon. I'm still not sure I should keep gold at all, and replacing gold by Oil(making oil pure money) will come with it's own set of problems.
    I don't think making oil into money would be good. It might work for the oil producing nations, but it wouldn't represent the demand for oil (and the desire to sphere or control oil producing regions to secure the supply - which is perfect for the SoI mechanics).

Of course, it is true that gold doesn't make as much sense any more. It would be weird, but maybe a Stocks/Financial Services RGO - set in major cities, with rising nations able to get events which open up new stock exchanges and convert provinces to this RGO?

Yes. In my opinion, dig in was put in place to simulate the rising trench warfare until the Trench War, WWI. The problem is, it's kinda bugged because since enemies can retreat to behind enemies lines, you can't make a effective trench war by pushing one line of soldiers farther away. Air support will be represented as artillery, since jets will be the new artillery. Missile attack/anti-missile defense was one of the things I thought that could represent missiles and ballistic warfare. I still have the nightmare of putting ICBMs and nuclear weaponry, and while I have all ideas to set it up already, it will be a nightmare to code decisions and events for it, and to simulate how many nukes a given country has, or even how they produce more. But that will be more close to the end of the mod, I still have many things to change.
    Good ideas.

Can we do similar things to gas attack/defense for naval combat, or is it just possible for land combat? I think there we especially see the power of missiles (and the potential power in people's minds and perhaps in the future) and corresponding anti-missile technology (and maybe submarine warfare could be abstracted there as well - massive defense bonuses for submarines with good tech [to represent being hard to find and hit] which would be nullified by anti-submarine tech?).

C'mon, it looks like Japan is empty. I'm fine with China Yellow and Japan Red, to be honest.
    But China is, now more than ever, red. The flag is red, the civilization has always had red motifs, the cultural group is identified by the color red, the ideology is "red"... there's not really any ties to yellow any more.

Japan won't look so empty in the actual game, and the off-white could be changed to something more clearly not-empty. It's flag is mainly white, and it gives it a good contrast with most of the far east. (is there any other color Japan could be? Some nice shade of pink or orange? It's a tricky nation to color)
    Interactive AARs:

Blog Entries
    Hibernian originally chose red for China because of it's flag and ideology. Likewise, yellow was used for the Manchus because of both its banner and yellow being the national color of the Qing Empire. If you want to change China's color to something more "Han" then I'd wait for Gloa's opinion on the matter. He's definitely more knowledgeable on China than any of us. (Edit: Nevermind. He just posted.)

I'm not hugely familiar with the Commerce techs myself; I've never heard of anything since economics is pretty far from my field of study, so I can't really offer that much of an opinion there.

I'll see what I can do with the menu screen.

The starting point could be set pretty far back. Starting military and political/economic reforms that almost everyone would have could be just a 5 or 10% starting point. Combined with slower research and events/decisions/rebels which can roll back reforms (or just make certain reforms much more costly - Sanctions or Unstable Government could make economic reforms cost a lot more, for example), it shouldn't need that much of an increase for requirements.
    Hmm, I agree. Also, there are other nations that will have do develop fast, like China, mainly Brazil and India, so they can become secondary powers.

I think there's a difference between media policies (newspapers, journals, magazines, radio, television) and communications policies (blocked websites, blocking Twitter/Facebook/Google, censoring search results, cutting internet access, cutting phone connections, monitoring cell phones, etc.) - which are often more loose.
    Hmmm okay, it will make more sense than the current research set anyway.

I don't think making oil into money would be good. It might work for the oil producing nations, but it wouldn't represent the demand for oil (and the desire to sphere or control oil producing regions to secure the supply - which is perfect for the SoI mechanics).
    I could always make the oil - the product and oil the money, they would be different, as one would place the gold and the other would go to production. But I never though this was a good idea myself.
    Of course, it is true that gold doesn't make as much sense any more. It would be weird, but maybe a Stocks/Financial Services RGO - set in major cities, with rising nations able to get events which open up new stock exchanges and convert provinces to this RGO?
    A Stocks/Financial Services RGO with laborers or farmers there would be definitively weird to me, I'd rather make the oil/barrel-money-thing or just set it as uranium, although uranium doesn't make much sense as oil makes.

Can we do similar things to gas attack/defense for naval combat, or is it just possible for land combat? I think there we especially see the power of missiles (and the potential power in people's minds and perhaps in the future) and corresponding anti-missile technology (and maybe submarine warfare could be abstracted there as well - massive defense bonuses for submarines with good tech [to represent being hard to find and hit] which would be nullified by anti-submarine tech?).
    Yes, I think it's possible to make it for naval warfare and make a similar bonus for submarine warfare. Thanks for the good idea! (although coming up with a naval tech tree will be a nightmare). The only question is, should I make it as gas attack and make it an invention or should I make it a technology effect? I'm more keen to making these bonus like gas attack, one invention for the attack and one for the defense.

But China is, now more than ever, red. The flag is red, the civilization has always had red motifs, the cultural group is identified by the color red, the ideology is "red"... there's not really any ties to yellow any more.
    Well, we can find a red for China, I guess. Maybe take the one from North Korea. But bah, there's some more pressing matters.

I'm not hugely familiar with the Commerce techs myself; I've never heard of anything since economics is pretty far from my field of study, so I can't really offer that much of an opinion there.
    My field of study is kinda close, but I'm no economist myself. Still, I'm satisfied I could put things there, this makes only the naval tech tree the one that will be problematic. It will probably be all centered around aircraft carriers and submarines, anyway.

I'll see what I can do with the menu screen.
    Thanks a lot!

For now, I'm trying to pin-point an annoying bug who I think came with the old mod. It screws up NF selection.

And I finished putting images on the commerce screen, I'm just missing two or three images that I will do now. I did some localisation, including references to railroads and clergymen I missed, developed/undeveloped/in-development status for and some annoying lack of punctuation in tooltips vanilla has. I should probably spend less time on this kind of thing.

I'm moving now to Army Tech tree, then I will move to Industry and last, Naval research.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast