• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

diegoami

Colonel
51 Badges
Mar 19, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Knights of Honor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
Please let the game run some days after loading it to get usable statistics !

It is not obvious, and I had trouble understanding that.

"Exported goods" are actually "Goods which are available for export".

The may get sold in the Global Market, or not. It depends on Global Supply and Demand - and on your prestige.
So if the game tells you that you are "exporting" a good, that does not necessarily mean you are making a profit. You might actually be wasting raw materials and losing money on that good.

For instance, picking Great Britain in 1861, you will find out you are "exporting" lumber. What you are exporting is exactly your Total Production, including spherelings' production (the "Available for our country" statistics) minus the "Total Used" statistics : 449 - 314 = 135. (the result is clean since spherelings are not using that good).

Notice also that the "Need 76.73 for producers" statistics applies only to factories - artisans are not considered. What counts is only the "Total Used" statistics.

The statistics Need X for producers does not take artisans into account.

G1.jpg

You will find out, though, that Global Supply for lumber exceeds Global Demand (e.g. 2225 > 1840). Notice that Global Supply includes your total production - you can confirm that by closing all of your lumber factories and see the Global Supply go down.

Because of high supply at least some of the lumber you are exporting is not getting sold. You don't believe that ? Pick a factory and find out.

G2.jpg

Some of the exported lumber is not getting sold - it is impossible to tell how much of it, since half of it is being produced by artisans. In this case we are Great Britain and have the highest prestige, it would be worse for a country having low prestige. The factories are still making a profit.

There are situations instead when all of the exported good is sold easily. That happens when Global Demand exceeds Global Supply for that good. For instance, in the case of "Regular Clothes", also Britain 1861.

Regular Clothes have very high Global Demand (3443,104) but very low Global Supply (1143). So it is not worrying that Britain is not selling all of the regular clothes in the internal market.

G3.jpg

Exported goods are 406-356 = 50. Notice that the statistics "Need 2.12 for producers" is wrong here too - it does not count artisans. And we don't care that we "Need 1242.60 for pops" - if they don't have the money to buy it. The clothes the pops actually buy are less. The only statistics that counts, as far as internal demand is concerned, is "Total Used".

The "Need X for pops" statistics won't tell you how much of a good will actually be bought.

What happens to the Regular Clothes who are available for export? In this case, they get sold, since Global Demand exceeds Global Supply. You will find out the factories sell all of their production.

G4.jpg

Update : How much of the good was actually sold is possibly to be found in the "Market Activity" table, but I have to fully verify it yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for this.

I've spent a fair amount of time scratching my head about some of the numbers in the economy. This clears a couple things up.

Are there any other links that could be incorporated into this thread that get into the details of what the various trade, production & economic numbers mean and how they relate?

Could you help me crunch numbers? I've got another example, this time with import. ("meubles" = furniture)

Total produced : 326.947
Total used : 208.983 (the missleading part, isn't it?)
Import : 211.4 (confirmed by tooltip, my country need furniture, that's the top 3 import)
? = 178.4 (that's the botom right, "interior market". "Disp = available 0", ok, "export" ?? "178.4", what?)

Total used : 208.983
* Gouvernement need : 0
* Factories need : 38.91
* Pop need : 382.5 (but the pop may not have the money to actually buy the furniture, so y = buy by pop < or = 382.5)
* Here should by added x = need for artisans = ?

First question : can I assume Total used 208.983 = factories 38.91 + y (buy by pop) so y = 170.073 ?
The population need 382.5 furniture, but can afford only 170.073 ?

Second question : Total produced 326.947 + Import 211.4 - total used 208.983 - x (used by artisans) ?
so x = used by artisans = 329.364 ? The artisans use ten time more than industries to make luxuries furniture ? Seems a lot.

Well, the first problem is that you obviously just loaded the game and didn't let it run for a few days - "Available for your country" is always 0.00 at the beginning. You should let the game run a few days to get some reliable statistics. The other numbers are therefore also not correct. By the way the French translation "sur notre marche commun" is much better than the english one - if I had had that I wouldn't have needed that much research.

I am afraid you are exporting furniture and not importing it. "Marche mondial" (Global Market) as far as I know are the movements in the global market - they are not imports.

It would be correct to say that 208.983 = factories 38.91 + y (buy by pop) so y = 170.073 , though y would include also what artisans are needed.
The population need 382.5 furniture, but can afford only 170.073 ? That's correct.

If you let the game run for a few days you should see that "Utilisation totale"+Export = "X sur notre marche commun" (Total Used+Export = Available for your country).

Sorry for the mistake, my bad, it's better to let it run a while, indeed.

bc5c2624-a9e1-4734-bde1-c53e0a64a327.jpg

You right also, it looks like furniture is exported (total produced 349, total used 257, and export 190.3) but...
when I mouse over the commerce in the main screen ==> it shows that furniture is imported (and it's one of the top 3 import with 206.08). This is the World market activity (206.1) and it fits with "gain -1K" = i think it's my spending for this import (price furniture 4.88x206=1005=1K). So, commun market/available for our country is tot produced + import in this case:
349.695 "total produced"
+ 206.08"import"
= 555.775
close to 511.69"marché intérieur"/"marché commun" ?

EDIT: "Utilisation totale"+Export = "X sur notre marche commun" (Total Used+Export = Available for your country):
257.548 Total use
+ 190.3 Export
= 447.848
close to 511.69 available for your country.
It was a good match for your lumber example but here? Can it be import AND export of furniture?

Last edited:
Well, I am confused and I am not sure what's happening here. I'd love to have a look at the save file. My wild guess is that your spherelings are also using a lot of furniture and because of that you have to import it.

Who are you, who are your spherelings, what year is it, what are your balance sliders ? :)

Well, I had a look and it is outrageously complicated. I am not sure whether I have got it right.
To simplify it, let's say you have in your sphere

France
Italy
Switzerland
Brazil
Peru

France is producing 344 and using 236. France exports 108. France imports 0.
Italy is producing 70 and using 75. It has to give 35 to France. Therefore France exports 35 more. Italy exports 0 . Italy imports 40.
Switzerland is producing 70 and using 25. It has to give 35 to France. Therefore France exports 35 more. Switzerland exports 10. Switzerland imports 0.
Brazil is producing 2 and using 30. It gives 1 to France. France exports 1 more. Brazil imports 29.
Peru is producing 2 and using 34. It gives 1 to France. France exports 1 more. Peru imports 33.

Therefore France exports 108+35+35+1+1 = 180. Switzerland exports 10. The sphere exports 190.
The sphere imports 40+29+33 = 93 - maybe from France itself. In my opinion activities include both imports and exports in the sphere, all of the movements, so not sure how it is calculated. But anyway there are countries in your sphere that have to import furniture - because they have to give some of it to France, who has enough and re-exports it, possibly to the spherelings. These are the imports you see.

All these are guesses - I am not sure how these number are calculated. Further research is needed. I have to try it with fewer spherelings :) .

Last edited:
Thanks for looking into it, it's a good suggestion to start with a very simple state.
I remember some discussions on combat, and someone bringing in some game mecanic or code. May be someone has looked into it for what is displayed in comerce panel? (or it's not accessible)

Question, how do you see global demand supply, I may be missing something easy, I hardly look at these things since I run LF economies.

Here's a question: this is a screenshot from a game I was playing as Russia (AHD 2.3, no mods). For some reason, my pops are importing about 10x the tobacco they are using - does this mean I'm importing tobacco and selling it to spherlings or something?

nifpu.jpg

Here's a question: this is a screenshot from a game I was playing as Russia (AHD 2.3, no mods). For some reason, my pops are importing about 10x the tobacco they are using - does this mean I'm importing tobacco and selling it to spherlings or something?

Possibly. But it is more likely that you just started the game and loaded a save file. Let the game run a few days to get usable statistics. Those statistics are also wrong if you tag switch.

How did I miss this thread?! Awesome work diegoami!

Thank you arkhometha !

Question, how do you see global demand supply, I may be missing something easy, I hardly look at these things since I run LF economies.

I guess I will just create a thread about trade, since already I got asked about that.

Possibly. But it is more likely that you just started the game and loaded a save file. Let the game run a few days to get usable statistics. Those statistics are also wrong if you tag switch.

It does seem like the most likely explanation (I've seen some bizarre things happen within that first week!), but this screenshot was actually taken in the middle of a fairly long run of the game. Although it's not a recent capture, I distinctly remember taking a screenshot due to how strange the numbers were. I've got a feeling that this is reproducible; I'll be keeping a close eye on my top 3 imported goods vs. the goods that are used, and if I find any other instances of the same thing happening, I'll update the thread.

Edit: here's a recent example from my current game, playing as the Ottomans. The year is 1878. This is after I let the game run for at least one month, more like 2. AHD 2.3, with the right checksum.

EcVAj.jpg

Last edited:
Then I don't know. It is probably a bug. Other possible explanations are that you have a huge sphere (including China?), that you are a sphereling yourself, that you switched country during the game, that you edited the save file.

What is the "Market Activity" of that good ?

I would be interested in the save file.

Then I don't know. It is probably a bug. Other possible explanations are that you have a huge sphere (including China?), that you are a sphereling yourself, that you switched country during the game, that you edited the save file.

What is the "Market Activity" of that good ?

I would be interested in the save file.

This screenshot is from 1881, so the numbers are different, but the theme is the same. This screenshot is taken from the same playing session as the last one; that is, I haven't restarted the game and it's been playing continuously. As you can see, the trend is the same: I'm importing more than I 'use', and this time we see that the market activity is the same as the 'top 3 imports' tooltip is telling us.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to include the common market window. The numbers read: 131.98 available, 0.2 exported. Those numbers are from the same paused game as the screenshot.
j5wJW.jpg

With regards to your questions:

Other possible explanations are that you have a huge sphere (including China?)

I have several countries in my sphere, but nothing too large. The largest is Japan, which has 7.5m, although at this stage of the game they're civilised and a secondary power, and therefore I only get access to 25% of their market. The biggest market is therefore Korea, who is ~2.5m and a primitive nation.

that you are a sphereling yourself,

I'm #2 GP at the moment, and I'm #1 in prestige, which gives me priority to the market iirc.

that you switched country during the game,

Nah, I've only played the Ottomans.

that you edited the save file.

Not that I'm aware of.

If you want to play my most recent saved game (saved at the same time as this most recent screenshot), click here

(Side note: I just realised my saved games folder is 10 gigs large. That may explain why it runs a bit slow at times...)

Last edited:
Thank for your savefile. Actually, your sphere is pretty big, there are 17 countries and most of them are net importers of furniture. Japan may be importing 70, Persia 40, if you then add up all the others I would not be surprised if your sphere was actually importing that amount. Because that value seems to be "Goods Imported by your Common Market".

On the other hand, where did you get the information that you have only access to 25% of your sphereling's market? I heard 100%, I heard 50%, now I hear 25% ....

Thanks for taking a look, and very likely getting to the bottom of this! Is there some way via console to remove countries from your SOI? Perhaps trigger that event where you can go to war or let them leave, at a loss of prestige? That'd settle the matter once and for all.

Also, you're right: looking at the AHD manual, the market share of a secondary power is indeed 50%, not 25% as I have up there.