+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV – Developer Diary 12 - Dominium Maris Baltici

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Europa Universalis IV – Developer Diary 12 - Dominium Maris Baltici

Tills han vitφgat ser karolinen marscherar fram...

Welcome to the most important development diary on Europa Universalis IV as we go into detail about the most popular country to play – Sweden!

Swedish Possibilities
    In 1397 Queen Margaret I of Denmark created the personal union of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark through the Kalmar Union. However, Margaret's successors, who continued to rule from Denmark, were unable to control the Swedish nobility. So, to get the proper historical feeling when starting as Sweden, bring pressure on the Danes to prove that Swedes cannot be controlled.
    Once you’ve broken free from the union, it’s time to plot your next move. Will you break the monopoly trading position of the Hansa, to reclaim the income you feel your country rightfully deserves? And then what?

The Hanseatic League was a trading bloc of merchants and states that sought civil and commercial privileges from the countries and cities along the coasts of the Baltic Sea. Because it had its own navy, the League was able to sweep the Baltic Sea free of pirates, so membership in the League brought a certain amount of protection and security. However, a Hansa port was only open to citizens of Hansa member cities and the agreements meant that these ports were free of all customs and taxes. The Hanseatic League turned Stockholm into the leading commercial and industrial city of Sweden, but it also ensured Hansa dominance over trade and economic life in the city. If you break this relationship, you will pay a price, but in return your king will most likely be considered a hero by the Swedish people. The peasantry, traditionally free, would see more of the economic benefits of trade flowing back to them rather than going to a feudal landowning class. If you manage to develop the country and free yourself from the Hanseatic League without provoking an economic crisis, you will experience the glory of Sweden’s golden era.

The 17th century should see Sweden emerge as a European great power – if you keep a few things in mind. You are heavily dependent on trade, so you need either a navy strong enough to guard the ports or richer German Baltic provinces to exploit. You will have some good military opportunities and, as we’ll see, the ideas to make a strong military stand. Just remember to not push the constant warfare too long or the sometimes brittle Swedish economy might deteriorate. Manpower is a greater issue for Sweden than for her Russian neighbor, so a single defeat and a costly peace treaty can mean the beginning of the end for the glorious Swedish Empire. But you can do this! Now you can look back at the very poor and scarcely populated country on the fringe of European civilization, with no significant power or reputation, you started with.

Swedish Dynamic Historical Events
    Sweden has many Dynamic Historical Events, with two major series for the player to experience.

The first is the Dacke Feud. In the mid 16th century, the Swedish crown sought to centralize its power and raise additional revenue by first, making tax collection more efficient thereby adding new burdens to peasants, and second, seizing Catholic properties to both further promote Lutheranism and pay for army upkeep…
    The Dacke Feud has a chance of happening to the player at any point between 1500 and 1700 if Sweden is Protestant. Dacke can revolt in any core province, but prefers the historical origin of Smεland.
    There are a fair number of ways possible to handle it the Dacke Feud, But you are in for a nice mess of rebellions, rest assured. If you manage to defeat the rebellion, your monarch might be able to consolidate his power and concentrate even more control in the person of the king. So let’s hope you get a good one..

The other large event series is the Age of Liberty, which may appear during the 18th century if your country is in a regency..
    A war-weary Riksdag (the Swedish Parliament) can assert new powers and reduce the crown to a constitutional monarch, with power held by a civilian government controlled by the Riksdag.
    Will you stand for that? Or will you try to assert your royal privilege?

Swedish Missions and Decisions
    Some of the Swedish decisions from EU3 have been transformed into National Ideas, so enacting the Hakkapeliitta as soon as you grab Finland, is, sadly, no longer an option.
    Swedish missions are very much geared towards taking the historical territories around the Baltic that comprised the Swedish Empire at its height.

Swedish National Ideas
    As we mentioned in the first development diary on National Ideas, Sweden starts with two traditions that feel appropriate for the militaristic Swedish history that occupies much of the game’s era. Lack of manpower in Sweden meant that the royal army had a very large mercenary componet, so Sweden gets cheaper mercenaries than other countries. This manpower shortage also meant that Swedish infantry had to be well trained if the country was to survive its many wars, so Sweden also has slightly better infantry than average.

The 7 Swedish National Ideas are:
    1. Kung och Riksdag : +1 legitimacy yearly.
    2. Swedish Steel : +10% Discipline
    3. Hakkapelitta: 10% cheaper cavalry.
    4. Indelningsverket : 33% quicker manpower recovery.
    5. Swedish Absolutism : 10% cheaper stability.
    6. Produktplakatet : 10% Production Efficiency
    7. Union and Security Act: 10% more manpower.

Once Sweden has acquired all of its national ideas, its leaders get a +1 bonus to their Shock rating for battle.

These National Ideas are geared towards making a Sweden that has a high quality army that can recover from manpower drains relatively quickly, though this will always be an issue in a prolonged war. With cheaper cavalry, Swedish troops should be able to dominate mid-game battlefields. Sweden is also stable and better able to survive any dynastic changes; the bonus to legitimacy and lower cost of stability in the late game will help Sweden stay vigorous.

Bonus details: Stability Changes
    As we have mentioned before, stability is no longer increased by spending money from your budget every month. Like other game mechanics we have gone though, you spend Monarch Points to increase your stability, in this case you spend Administrative points. Since these are also the points that go towards increasing your number of Ideas and revenue buildings, it is more likely that you will not always be at peak stability since you plan on investing Monarch Points in other things.

In earlier Europa Universalis games, the cost for increasing stability depended a lot on the size and diversity of your country. Now the price is no longer depending on what type of provinces you have, but we have still kept the concept of not every country being the same, and some being more fragile to stability changes.

The base price for increasing your stability is 100 administrative power, but overextension and lack of religious unity can increase this cost significantly. Some ideas and advisors decrease this. And, this being Europa Universalis, you can count on events and other random factors also modifying the price temporarily.

Here's a screenshot of some interesting things, and stay tuned, as we are back next week with more on rebels and governments.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	eu4_4.png
Views:	17200
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	68168

Hope you enjoyed this, more information next week!
    Last edited by Regina; 23-11-2012 at 13:41.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Boom first

The map looks amazing *_*.

I like that Naples has the CK2 ERE colour =D

Game's looking great keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Sahal; 23-11-2012 at 13:45.
    Jus' Passin' By

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    Really, guys?

On topic: Looks nice. The Indelningsverket especially seems rather powerful, neat.
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    ImpireMagickaVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

brb, grabbing a cup of tea and some snack for this thread...

Master of MegaSlavia Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Looks cool. Sweden is actually quite fun to play, can colonise east or west.

Colonial maintenance? Are those finnish provinces still colonies in 1444?

Master of MegaSlavia Demi Moderator RedRalphWiggum's Avatar

Is it just me or are mountains much more pronounced?

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessPride of Nations500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Now I really REALLY am curious about what the generic National Ideas are going to be.

Nice diary. Thanks.

I wonder how the 10% cheaper stability NI is working out in the game. If one stability point cost you 100 administrative points, with this NI you will pay only 90. If the mtth in EU4 for the comet event is the same as in EU3, this means you can save a lot of points.

Edit:

And can someone tell me what Indelningsverket and Produktplakatet means in english?
    Last edited by Phelan; 23-11-2012 at 13:59.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - ImmortalsEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

looking good, not that I think I'll ever get to play Sweden all that much ;P

I have one concern though, will a unified Denmark-Norway be capable of putting up any resistance? It wasn't really the case back in EU3 unless you were playing Denmark yourself

(yes I know, I'm being a nitpicker here, but it was quite annoying having to conqueror half of Sweden just to get them to behave..)
    Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. - Murphy's law

The Dream of Dumbarton Watch the rebirth of Strathclyde in my first AAR!

Best Character Writer of the Week: 3/2/13 Fan of the week: 1/6/13

"Fear not what will be, fear what has already come to pass"

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms event

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    One click stability increase is a bit strange though, just like 'stabbing the pig' in EU: Rome was.
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine Wind
    For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiRome: Vae Victis
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Is it just me or is the map projection more cylindrical than in EU3?
    Capital: The area of a country, province, region, or state, regarded as enjoying primary status, usually but not always the seat of the government.
    Capitol: A building in which a legislature meets.

afb's colonization guide.

There is a big sea in holland? Is this historical?

For The Glory

I am disappointed in the lack of Denmark bashing in this DD! Truly, the Swedes have gone soft lately!
    AARs of Sir Svip OLIR:
    Glory for Ulm A Flagland AAR (Europa Universalis IV) (ongoing)
    Winner of: ACA 2014 Q2: EUIV, ACA 2014 Q1: EUIV (Split), AARtist of the Month (May 2014), Seal of Mythic Approval and having the same title as another popular AAR.
    Ulm plays Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods as Someone (finished), Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness as Austria (finished) and March of the Eagles as Russia (finished)
    Winner of: Hats.
    Glory for Ulm A Flagland AAR (Europa Universalis III) (ended)
    Winner of: Europa Univeralis: The Musical, Cities in Motion DLC: Ulm, AARtist of the Month (June 2011), (Royal Dutch Cheese of Anti-Frognessship), (Swedish Meatball of Volvo and Bjφrn Borg), (Cyan Blue Cookie of Awesomeness), (Lord Strange Cookie of British Awesomeness), ACA 2010 Q4: EU Comedy, (Paradox Cookie), WritAAR of the Week (2011-01-30), "Best everything, ever" award, (Irish Shamrock Cookie) and being in this signature.
    Full list at my Inkwell

I was expecting cheaper mercenaries for Sweden as a national idea. Remember, they burnt down Germany with those.

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    ImpireMagickaVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

I will be really impressed to see people survive as Byzantium now, which I'm sure some will. And What's that purple country above Lithuania? The Livonian order? Seems very interesting, I might even play it a few times!

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Dane View Post
    looking good, not that I think I'll ever get to play Sweden all that much ;P

I have one concern though, will a unified Denmark-Norway be capable of putting up any resistance? It wasn't really the case back in EU3 unless you were playing Denmark yourself
    Sweden should win a majority of the games, but you'll have to wait to see the unique national ideas for Denmark and Norway... All 3 scandinavian countries are really different in playstyle, and the ideas really enhances their roles.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Poland looks really strange, with the region around Bydgoszcz (northern part) not belonging to it - I know Torun was Teutonic at that time, but the whole region west of the Vistula and south of Gdansk (Danzig) wasn't. Anyhow, this looks interesting nonetheless - hope the dominium maris baltici is not limited to Sweden (afterall, Denmark, Muscovy/Russia and Poland/Poland-Lithuania also fought for influence around there).

I just realized, I would love the ability to turn off the tutorial tooltips like "this is the money you can use to buy troops.", "this is the toilet paper you use when you poop", etc.

Sweden is probably a favorite of mine to play, and i love how paradox isnt afraid to show bias by bouncing sweden to #1 this game. The amount of poor provinces sweden had in EU3 made them very weak early on, but i thought it was in an unrealistic way(seemed accurate, but not in the way it really happend). These changes seem more appropriate i think.

Look forward very much to EUIV, and especially sweden.

Lenga leve Sverige!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast