• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mauregato, Count of Astorga in Charlemagne start 769.
You are the son of a king of Asturias, but also of a Moorish serf. You are consistently passed over for succession by the nobles, who look down at your corrupted breeding. You will be remembered by history as Mauregatus the Usurper, and your legacy will be eagerly swept aside on your death as the succession moves back to a more noble lineage. Can you outdo the real Mauregatus, leading this half-Moorish bastard son of a king to the crown of Asturias, securing his dynasty and bringing glory to your name?

Reactions:
Ernst von Babenberg, the Duke of Austria in 1066, is in a weak position with a lot of potential; you can literally go in any direction. Each of the four counties in your duchy is held by a different house: Bavaria has Passau, Bohemia has Znojmo, Carinthia has Steiermark, and you hold only Österreich, the capital. With one or two carefully chosen alliances, you can beat Bavaria and Carinthia, and then, with most of the duchy under your control, maybe even challenge Bohemia—or expand eastwards into Croatia. For longer-term goals, you can form Bavaria, get elected Kaiser, launch an invasion of Hungary, or take Jerusalem in a crusade.

Interesting start date is 1204 for Livonia. Usually Livonia is blocked, but in 1204 start it is ruled by German High Chief Vinno. Representing first Livonian Brothers of the Sword Grand Master Wenno von Rohrbach 1204–1209.

There is not much historical accuracy as to dating, since in 1204 Latvian and Estonian tribal chiefs still ruled most part of Livonia (in game it is already ruled by Vinno). But at least you can play in Livonia.

It is the last date you can play someone there. Choises for local guys are two -
1) Traitor Kaupo. His evaluation in Latvia range from "Kaupo the accursed, the scourge of the Livs,... Kaupo who has sold his soul to the foreign bishops." to understanding his position or even looking upon his as saint Catholic man
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caupo_of_Turaida

2) Dergun Kask, still Suomunesko, still Estonian Saaremaa warchief with random name to apparently represent rebellous local Saaremaa fighters against crusaders.

If you go with Kaupo, beginning is easy (he is heir to Vinno, and there is ready conspirator to make things done ;) ).
Dergun should be more difficult, especially if you decide to go 'Suomunesko or death' road...

Really hope this gets stickied again. It's so useful.
Trouble is it's really out of date, and I haven't got the time or inclination to do it... I guess I should really put the Wiki link on the OP, not that any of the work there is mine.

EDIT: Done that now, though I believe there's already a sticky with a link. At least this way people won't get confused.

There's a Greek chief in Theodosia, in the Crimean region. I'm not sure how interesting it is from a gameplay standpoint, but it's certainly unique.

It's in the Charlemagne start for sure, but I don't know about others.

Reactions:
Catholic:
Castile, Kingdom of:
Enrique de Trastámara, Count of Asturias de Oviedo, 14 Jan. 1332: The bastard son of Alfonso XI of Castile, he holds a one province minor in the northwest of the country. Historically, he was supported by his father, but after his death, staged many revolts against his brother, Pedro the Cruel. With French and Aragonese support, he overthrew and killed his brother, and went on to become King Henry II. His family would go on to unite Castile and Aragon and lay down the basis for what would become the Kingdom of Spain. Making the move from count to king will be difficult, let alone to become Emperor of all Spain (technically King), especially with only 120 years to do it, but it's a good challenge.

Gulliaume, Duke of Toulouse, 769.

You start as an 18 year old duke of one of the best de jure duchies in the game, vassal to Karloman, King of Middle Francia. And your dynasty is named the Nibelunging, with three rings for your CoA (like the legendary Ring of the Nibelung). Your father is the Duke of Burgundy, and he is a very powerful man. When he dies you have a claim on the Duchy.

My current run as him has led his dynasty to become a King of Greece via a Holy Crusade in which i pipped the previous biggest contributor by fortuitously defeating the Carpathian army that held it. One of my kinsmen is now the King of Middle Francia, so this dynasty has a lot of potential, with a nice CoA to boot.

Khagan Temujin Borjigin of Khangai, 1 January 1196.

Yes, this is the man who would later go on to become the greatest conqueror in the history of mankind. No man ever formed an empire as large as his in one lifetime, and all by himself. This is the man who the

In 1196 he begins the game as only a 34 years old nomadic Khan at the corner of the map, holding a small and poor territory. There is no Mongol Empire. In fact there is not even Mongolia itself. The land is divided and there are competitors all over the place.

To the south at the edge of the map, you have the Naimans of Kumul. They are Mongols like you, but a big point to note is that they are Nestorian. To the west, there is the Buryat clan of Otuken (the name has umlauts, but bear with me). They are your chief enemy if you want to expand west. Even westwards there are the Manichean Kirghiz nomads who own parts of Mongolia, and they are not weak.

To southwest, west of the Naimans of Kumul, you have the Buddhist Uighurs of Qocho. They are settled, and even have lots of castles and cities. And to the west of the Uighurs are even more dangerous Kara-Khitai, who are also settled and only partially nomadic, and can basically steamroll anyone in the region including Uighurs. Going any further without beating them is almost impossible. And in eastern Russia there is Cumans, who are very powerful but can be faced with some dedication.

Besides, even if you somehow defeat the Kara-Khitai and Cumans, the world is full of gigantic blobs. In Persia there are the giant Khwarezmians ruling almost entirety of it, alongside southern steppes. In India there is the recently established, genocidal and murderous, HUGE Delhi Sultanate (under Ghurid Dynasty as Empire of Rajasthan) that is on the way to blob even harder. They are more powerful than Khwarezmians, far richer as well, and are almost impossible to beat. Best to wait and let them collapse by themselves, or at least slowly eat away at their borders while they are busy killing Indians. They'll not go too far, because there are powerful Indian kingdoms like Parmara, Sena and Seuna Yadava waiting to intercept them.

Further westwards from Persia, there is the rump, dying Abbasid Caliphate that now controls little more than southern Mesopotamia. They won't be harder to deal if you already beat Khwarezmains, but right next to it is the enormously powerful Ayyubid blob, ruled by Saladin's son. A very tough nut to crack if you attack it directly.

If you go northwards, you'll encounter the decaying Roman Empire and their mortal enemies, the Seljuks of Rum. You can defeat the latter, but defeating the ERE is extremely difficult and almost same as fighting the Delhi Sultanate since they tend to expand and take back their old lands. There is a powerful Georgia that can be defeated with some effort. There are also some petty minors like Armenians of Cilicia, the Assassin Order, the Duchy/Principality of Antioch.

Finally, if you go the Russian route, alongside Cumans you'll also have to defeat Perm and the Bolghars. Both are powerful and can be hard to defeat. You have to arrive in Russia proper and pick off the small minors, or else they'll be annexed by powerful states near them. Here your toughest competition will be the very powerful Novgorod. And if you can beat them, you'll probably encounter small powers until you reach Poland's borders, after which any expansion means fighting Hungarians and especially the GIGANTIC blob that is HRE. Beating them is impossible, again, but if you catch them in a civil war you can at least bite some land off them. Further ahead is giant England, a weakened but still powerful France, decently powerful Iberian kingdoms and the Danes, who also have a large enough army. But that is only if you can beat that giant HRE, which is nigh impossible except under certain circumstances as I said.

My personal strategy would be to settle down and find a good, safe place for a capital which is rich and has lots of baronies (or at least potential for them). Convert to another religion only if you have to. And keep your generals loyal.

So, can you take this man to become the Great Khan of Mongolia, and make him become the greatest conqueror to walk the earth? Can you make him the man who was called the Genghis Khan, whose very name made the world tremble and cower in fear? Or will you let him rule as a forgotten, minor nomadic chief in an eternally divided Mongolia? :D

*I hope this was helpful*

Reactions:
Khagan Temujin Borjigin of Khangai, 1 January 1196.

Yes, this is the man who would later go on to become the greatest conqueror in the history of mankind. No man ever formed an empire as large as his in one lifetime, and all by himself. This is the man who the

In 1196 he begins the game as only a 34 years old nomadic Khan at the corner of the map, holding a small and poor territory. There is no Mongol Empire. In fact there is not even Mongolia itself. The land is divided and there are competitors all over the place.

To the south at the edge of the map, you have the Naimans of Kumul. They are Mongols like you, but a big point to note is that they are Nestorian. To the west, there is the Buryat clan of Otuken (the name has umlauts, but bear with me). They are your chief enemy if you want to expand west. Even westwards there are the Manichean Kirghiz nomads who own parts of Mongolia, and they are not weak.

To southwest, west of the Naimans of Kumul, you have the Buddhist Uighurs of Qocho. They are settled, and even have lots of castles and cities. And to the west of the Uighurs are even more dangerous Kara-Khitai, who are also settled and only partially nomadic, and can basically steamroll anyone in the region including Uighurs. Going any further without beating them is almost impossible. And in eastern Russia there is Cumans, who are very powerful but can be faced with some dedication.

Besides, even if you somehow defeat the Kara-Khitai and Cumans, the world is full of gigantic blobs. In Persia there are the giant Khwarezmians ruling almost entirety of it, alongside southern steppes. In India there is the recently established, genocidal and murderous, HUGE Delhi Sultanate (under Ghurid Dynasty as Empire of Rajasthan) that is on the way to blob even harder. They are more powerful than Khwarezmians, far richer as well, and are almost impossible to beat. Best to wait and let them collapse by themselves, or at least slowly eat away at their borders while they are busy killing Indians. They'll not go too far, because there are powerful Indian kingdoms like Parmara, Sena and Seuna Yadava waiting to intercept them.

Further westwards from Persia, there is the rump, dying Abbasid Caliphate that now controls little more than southern Mesopotamia. They won't be harder to deal if you already beat Khwarezmains, but right next to it is the enormously powerful Ayyubid blob, ruled by Saladin's son. A very tough nut to crack if you attack it directly.

If you go northwards, you'll encounter the decaying Roman Empire and their mortal enemies, the Seljuks of Rum. You can defeat the latter, but defeating the ERE is extremely difficult and almost same as fighting the Delhi Sultanate since they tend to expand and take back their old lands. There is a powerful Georgia that can be defeated with some effort. There are also some petty minors like Armenians of Cilicia, the Assassin Order, the Duchy/Principality of Antioch.

Finally, if you go the Russian route, alongside Cumans you'll also have to defeat Perm and the Bolghars. Both are powerful and can be hard to defeat. You have to arrive in Russia proper and pick off the small minors, or else they'll be annexed by powerful states near them. Here your toughest competition will be the very powerful Novgorod. And if you can beat them, you'll probably encounter small powers until you reach Poland's borders, after which any expansion means fighting Hungarians and especially the GIGANTIC blob that is HRE. Beating them is impossible, again, but if you catch them in a civil war you can at least bite some land off them. Further ahead is giant England, a weakened but still powerful France, decently powerful Iberian kingdoms and the Danes, who also have a large enough army. But that is only if you can beat that giant HRE, which is nigh impossible except under certain circumstances as I said.

My personal strategy would be to settle down and find a good, safe place for a capital which is rich and has lots of baronies (or at least potential for them). Convert to another religion only if you have to. And keep your generals loyal.

So, can you take this man to become the Great Khan of Mongolia, and make him become the greatest conqueror to walk the earth? Can you make him the man who was called the Genghis Khan, whose very name made the world tremble and cower in fear? Or will you let him rule as a forgotten, minor nomadic chief in an eternally divided Mongolia? :D

*I hope this was helpful*

So we can now play the AoE 2 Genghis Khan campaign.

And destroy the dishonorable Kara-Khitai, who are without honor.

Reactions:
So we can now play the AoE 2 Genghis Khan campaign.

And destroy the dishonorable Kara-Khitai, who are without honor.

Yep. I discovered him when I tried to play Temujin's earliest days in AoE style too.

Only that in AoE 2 you play as one of his generals (probably Subutai?) and juggle between factions or kill them on his behalf...here you'll have to use him personally as often as his generals because of great stats. And it will take a big effort to assassinate the Persian Shah, because no trade cart assassins are available. :p

Reactions:
I had a lot of fun with Temujin from the 1206 start - once he's crowned himself Mongol Emperor but doesn't rule anything outside Mongolia. 1196 was too hard - Qocho attacked, I couldn't repel them. (Admittedly, was my first attempt and I didn't have the hang of the nomad mechanics yet.)

I had a lot of fun with Temujin from the 1206 start - once he's crowned himself Mongol Emperor but doesn't rule anything outside Mongolia. 1196 was too hard - Qocho attacked, I couldn't repel them. (Admittedly, was my first attempt and I didn't have the hang of the nomad mechanics yet.)

True indeed. One has much better prospects when starting when Temujin is already crowned as the Mongol Emperor, because then they at least stand a chance and can go to the alternative Russia route, avoiding Persia altogether.

I took Persia... eventually. Do it the way he did it historically - unite the people in felt tents first and wind up with one massive army. :) (still haven't gone into Rus as of 1256, although I did fight Chernigov over Crimea and win.)

Probably got lucky that Cumania wound up in a civil war over religion, so I was able to use the invasion CB on them while they were very distracted.

Does anyone have a list of all Paradox staff in the game present as easter eggs? I have already found Johan, Dan Lind and there are some people with awkwardly modern names.

I am planning to do an AAR where Paradox devs are the main characters. Dates would be helpful, though I guess all of them live in 1066. :p

Reactions:
Aldgisl, count of Ostfriesland in the earliest start is interesting. It's challenging: you're independent but only a count; you're catholic but your county is Germanic; you're right on the border between West Francia and Saxony, the duke of Gelre has a claim on you and Charlemagne is out to conquer your part of the world, and once the Viking raids begin, you're the first catholic county south of Scandinavia. Vassalizing yourself to Charlemagne is the safest course. On the other hand, you're the descendent of kings (six of them, which gives you plenty of prestige to start with), your father was the last pagan king of Frisia, you should hate the Karlings for what they did to your forefathers. It takes a lot of piety to reconvert to paganism; you could restore Frisia as a catholic kingdom instead. Whichever course you take, Aldgisl is ideally suited for players who want to build a kingdom in the Low Countries.