• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
With the second GOTW option. It says no revolting and that you must remain a vassal of the crown of England...what if your liege revolts? At the moment the Duchess of Deheubarth is fighting a lower crown authority war that i've obviously been dragged into and it made me wonder. If she goes for independence then i'm stuck along for the ride till I can built a base strong enough to over throw her.

Edit 1: The above question is no longer relevant as I assassinated her whole family getting tired of her trying to revoke my title and the king inherited the duchy and then gave it to me...then had a major revolt, died and somehow...not sure how, I gained a claim on the Kingdom of England....a strong claim...and now there's a faction to put me in power....if they declare war and I don't partake and they win and I become King of England, does it still count?

Edit 2: They just pressed the demand...

Edit 3: and won...I'm now King of England. I took a few screen caps during the war to show that I wasn't involved as a rebel if that helps?

Final Edit:

The Greatest Knight The World Has Ever Seen

Does not require DLC

28 April, 1197, William Marshal, Earl of Dyfed

* Acquire the 'True Christian Knight' modifier (with any player character)
* Remain a vassal of the king/queen of England. Rebellion is forbidden.
* Acquire 5000 prestige with one ruler
Completed the challenge...though I'm unsure whether it counts as the nobles of England thrust me into being the King.

So, here's when I became a true christian knight;

11_zps24bd3591.jpg

Then here I have the proof that I didn't instigate, nor join in, with the rebellion that lead to me becoming king...if that matters.

12_zpse03daec3.jpg

15_zps2451da22.jpg

17_zps7a560f20.jpg

and then, finally, here's the moment when I reached the 5000 prestige mark by forming the Britannia Empire.

18_zpsd3f2b274.jpg

19_zps8590555a.jpg

So...yeah....I became a True Christian Knight in 1206 with the original character's first son, then had a civil war declared on my behalf, became king without having anything to do with the matter then spent 10 or so years conquering Britain, a small amount of France, helping out with wars and forming as many titles as I could to raise the necessary prestige. Challenge complete, though I don't know if becoming the King of England disqualifies me.

Last edited:
Just had a very interesting game as High Chief Andyamo of Estonia in 1092 (using CK2 Chooser) - You are old (45), with no wife or any other dynasty member. Can you survive in a world where Orthodox Russians and Catholic Norse are subduing? Can you have enough kids before its ... too ... late ... ?

Just had a very interesting game as High Chief Andyamo of Estonia in 1092 (using CK2 Chooser) - You are old (45), with no wife or any other dynasty member. Can you survive in a world where Orthodox Russians and Catholic Norse are subduing? Can you have enough kids before its ... too ... late ... ?

Quite an interesting challenge. I didn't do too bad, if I say so myself. Managed to reform the Suomenusko faith

Are we getting a new challenge soon, Generalolaf ? :)

Attachments

• Suomenusko.jpg
    Suomenusko.jpg
    172,5 KB · Views: 111
I notice a major player in the Crusades isn't here, so that needs to be rectified:

Zengi, Emir of the Zengids (One of the Syrian Duchies), 1120: Zengi rose from obscurity in the collapse of the Great Seljuk to build his own empire across the Levant, and consolidated under his son Nur-ad Din, becoming the first true threat to the Crusader States - but then their Kurdish vassals the Ayyubids betrayed them. Can you do what they could not, and finish driving the Franks out of the Holy Land?

Also:

Stephen I, King of England, 1135: King Stephen had a reputation as a good man. He was chivalrous, kind, pious, great with kids, and had a soft heart. Needless to say, he was doomed. The Anarchy lasted as long as it did partly because of Stephen's reluctance to wage war ruthlessly, especially against a woman. Also, his sons were nothing to write home about - Eustace was a cruel and vicious man who hated the world, possibly because he was named 'Eustace', and William just sat there. Historically, Stephen lost the heart to keep fighting after Eustace died from either illness or divine vengeance, and named Henry Plantagent his heir as King. Can you do better? You couldn't possible do worse!

Hywel, Petty King of Deheubarth, 867: One of your ancestors is a claimant to the role of King Arthur. 'Nough said

Stephen I, King of England, 1135: King Stephen had a reputation as a good man. He was chivalrous, kind, pious, great with kids, and had a soft heart. Needless to say, he was doomed. The Anarchy lasted as long as it did partly because of Stephen's reluctance to wage war ruthlessly, especially against a woman. Also, his sons were nothing to write home about - Eustace was a cruel and vicious man who hated the world, possibly because he was named 'Eustace', and William just sat there. Historically, Stephen lost the heart to keep fighting after Eustace died from either illness or divine vengeance, and named Henry Plantagent his heir as King. Can you do better? You couldn't possible do worse!

Let's be slightly fair to Matilda here, she was the only direct heir of Stephen's predecessor and her cousin (stephen) swanned in and stole the throne from her and her offspring just by being a man.

A very interesting character is Rudolph Count of Argau whose rule starts 13 December 1239. Historically he was an extremely important figure in the rise of the Habsburgs. In 1273 he was crowned King of the Romans (in effect Holy Roman Emperor). He ruled the duchy of Austria and began a lasting Habsburg presence in Austria--a presence which would persist until WWI. However, his importance to Habsburg rule in his native Germany would wane. Though he attempted to ensure the election of his son to the throne, the electors refused and elected the Count of Nassau.

Last edited:

Might I suggest playing at the same time (2nd December 1135 onwards) as Geoffrey of Anjou?

At this point he is married to Matilda and the future Henry II is a young child. Playing as Geoffrey, you can attempt to place your wife on the throne of England (although unfortunately Matilda has a weak claim) and ultimately your Son, Henry.

It's a shame that Matilda has only a weak claim on England which she should; She was the rightful heir as Henry's legitimate child and even lined up to be Queen by Henry before he died. Interestingly, the illegitimate (bastard) sons of Henry I all hold strong claims to England.

Also, if Matilda were to have a strong claim I would also recommend Robert of Gloucester, illegitimate and arguably favourite son of Henry I who was key to Matilda's cause (so important Matilda ransomed King Stephen to get him back about 3 days after his capture). Playing as Robert, Earl of Gloucester, you could start a create the Matilda for England faction and begin the anarchy.

so important Matilda ransomed King Stephen to get him back about 3 days after his capture

Why that's stupid. Capturing Stephen got her 100% warscore, she could have forced a peace. Since Robert of Gloucester was her half-brother, he would have been auto-released, and then she could just execute Stephen or something.

Going off the Stephen of England above, what I recommend is playing as any English vassal without a claim to England or as a created character, starting about Christmas Day, 1135. One of the issues is that Henry I leaves a ton of bastard children, each with claims to the throne. About 100 years onwards, I've had king after queen after king take the throne, with few holding it for more than a few years. Between the de Blois, the de Normandies, and the various FitzMothers, it's a wild ride.

What about Empress Matilda? You might have to fudge the date a bit, as I don't think there is a checkpoint for this, but it's should be December 2nd 1135. As legal and proclaimed heir of King Henry I (in real life), you are married to Geoffrey, count of Anjou (founder of the Plantagenet dynasty), can you raise support against your usurping cousin Stephen de Blois and take her birthright? I guess if your successful, it would kind of veer into actual history since Matilda's son Henry succeeded Stephen anyway.

EDIT: 23 fucking pages and I get ninja'd right out of this great idea (which is actually fairly obvious)^^

Or how about Matilda's father in law? King Fulk of Jerusalem? The year is 1127 and count Fulk of Anjou is on his way back to his home when he receives an offer from Baldwin II of Jerusalem to wed his daughter and heir as the Queen's consort. Being wiley, Fulk held out until Baldwin conceded that Fulk would rule as king alongside his daughter. Fulk then promptly forfeited his lands in France to his son Geoffrey (Matilda's husband or soon to be) and set off to rule Jerusalem. Can you keep it from the invading Muslims and Byzantines?

Figured I'd suggest the current playthrough I'm doing, as it's been some pretty solid fun times.

High Chief Sweitopelk II Gryfita of Pomerania, 1106

A ruler who is both a first and a last: the first ruler of the Gryfita dynasty (aka Gryf or the "House of Griffins"), a dynasty in real life that'd rule Pomerania for the rest of the middle ages and go on to have the first king of the Kalmar Union. He is also, however, the last Slavic pagan ruler of the Duchy of Pomerania, and in 1106 one of only two playable Slavic pagan rulers left in the world. You have a paltry three counties, and three sons ready to split that realm amongst themselves. To the east are the Lithuanian tribes, to the south a powerful and unified Catholic Poland, the north the Baltic Sea (and more Catholic kingdoms), and to the west you have the only other surviving Slavic ruler (the three county Chief of Dymin), the now Christian Tribe of Obotrites, and most terrifyingly of all the Holy Roman Empire. Do you follow history and accept Christ, and perhaps seek the HRE's protection against the large, hungry states that surround you? Or do you defy the Christians on the doorstep of their most powerful empire and fan the last smouldering embers of Slavic paganism?

Progress Report on my own personal challenge to myself:
ck2_26_zps16f815df.png

Pssshh, saving the Zoroastrian faith from the brink of destruction is so June 2013. (Then again, the recent HRE inheritance of England will probably make Reforming Slavic Paganism in 1200 so August 2013... grey blob of jerkfaces) Which, yes, I could've held off on the Reformation... except the HRE just gained their immunity to it. So, yeah, here's to hoping the HRE has a bunch civil wars.

And that the Mongols ignore me.

:(

Abaqa Khan of the Ilkhanate Feb. 1265 - 1282

The only Nestorian ruler of the Ilkhanate with no brothers of the faith anywhere it has been a challenging game for me but doable so far, the challenge is to survive and spread the Nestorian faith throughout the Middle East and eventually take on the Byzantines! I initially had to give up the eastern portion of the empire because there was no way I could keep it, but consolidated with my force converted Nestorian vassals in the west until I could expand outwards.

Pagan Characters

Norse

Sweden, Kingdom of

---Rikulfr of Austergautland, Chief of Austergautland, 867 - Note: That's Beowulf's dynasty.

well ... this House is actually related to the Beowulf saga ... but they are not descendants of Beowulf ... his descendant House would be House Wægmunding
House Ulfing relation to Beowulf is that Beowulfs father slew one of their members and thus had to flee leading to him marrying the future mother of Beowulf, the daugther of the/a Gaetish King.

but the Houses Ulfing and Gautske are as far as i can tell the only two Gaetish dynasties in the game and that alone is reason to play them.