• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Has the list been updated at all? I constantly see new posts on characters to play, and the author saying he will update. But it doesnt seem that it is updated? For example I cant see any Pagans, beside Erik the Heathen...
It is a great idea though, this thread, I just wondered if I look the wrong place or something?

It has not, and I'm half tempted to put out my own new list if the OP won't update for the community. It's been awhile since the 867 start came out now.

I have two spare hours today. I'll use them solely for this. I even have it written on my hand this time, and that was quite difficult :)

By the way, Kadoc of Cornwall now has a massive ancestry stretching back to the 3rd or 4th century, so you might want to change that.
Ok, done.

Last edited:
Since Nintz is taking an extended break from running GOTW I'm going to trial posting challenges in that style in this thread :) I'll mark the characters I use on the first post.

Here's one for people to try (rules and format credit to Nintz):

--- Rules ---

1. No console.
2. No mods unless purely cosmetic (font, borders, etc.).
3. Save/reloading discouraged, but allowed for those more casual and faint of heart.
4. Ruler Designer not allowed.
5. Legacy of Rome DLC that enable retinues allowed.
6. Sunset Invasion DLC allowed, though certain challenges may become impossible (or drastically more difficult) if used.

Anything else should be fair game. If you are unsure, ask. Questions, post them. If you want to make it confirmed, post screenshots proving each point. Good luck everyone.

--- 30 July - 15 August 2013 ---
The Alfred the Great Challenge

Requires The Old Gods DLC

1 January, 867, Alfred, Earl of Dorset

* Become King of England
* Remove all Norse territory and religion from the de jure kingdoms of England, Wales and Scotland
* Stay Catholic and Anglo-Saxon
* Obtain the title 'the Great' on at least one ruler

Finishers
1. Tino_47, December 9, 1001

The Greatest Knight The World Has Ever Seen

Does not require DLC

28 April, 1197, William Marshal, Earl of Dyfed

* Acquire the 'True Christian Knight' modifier (with any player character)
* Remain a vassal of the king/queen of England. Rebellion is forbidden.
* Acquire 5000 prestige with one ruler

Last edited:
--- Rules ---

1. No console.
2. No mods unless purely cosmetic (font, borders, etc.).
3. Save/reloading discouraged, but allowed for those more casual and faint of heart.
4. Ruler Designer not allowed.
5. Legacy of Rome DLC that enable retinues allowed.
6. Sunset Invasion DLC allowed, though certain challenges may become impossible (or drastically more difficult) if used.

Anything else should be fair game. If you are unsure, ask. Questions, post them. If you want to make it confirmed, post screenshots proving each point. Good luck everyone.

* Become King of England
* Remove all Norse territory and religion from the de jure kingdoms of England, Wales and Scotland
Fixed it.

The Old Gods Scenario
1, January, 867
County of Austergautland (Ostergotland in later scenarios)
Rikulfr of Austergautland, the only member of House Ulfing in game.

According to the 00_dynasties.txt, this House of Ulfing, which has a special CoA if you have the thrid CoA DLC, is exactly the dynasty of Beowulf:
Code:
821 = {
	name = "Ulfing" # AKA Wulfing, of Beowulf fame
	culture = norse

coat_of_arms = {
		template = 0
		layer = {
			texture = 7
			texture_internal = 25
			emblem = 0
			color = 0
			color = 0
			color = 0
		}
	}

I think nothing more is needed to be said :rolleyes:

Fixed it.
Ah, right, forgot the 867 start was DLC-only! I'll put a second challenge up for non-DLC-owners up as well.
The Old Gods Scenario
1, January, 867
County of Austergautland (Ostergotland in later scenarios)
Rikulfr of Austergautland, the only member of House Ulfing in game.

According to the 00_dynasties.txt, this House of Ulfing, which has a special CoA if you have the thrid CoA DLC, is exactly the dynasty of Beowulf:
Code:
821 = {
	name = "Ulfing" # AKA Wulfing, of Beowulf fame
	culture = norse

coat_of_arms = {
		template = 0
		layer = {
			texture = 7
			texture_internal = 25
			emblem = 0
			color = 0
			color = 0
			color = 0
		}
	}

I think nothing more is needed to be said :rolleyes:

Pfwuh... I think I might need to play that!

Thread is fully updated now.

Ah, right, forgot the 867 start was DLC-only! I'll put a second challenge up for non-DLC-owners up as well.

Pfwuh... I think I might need to play that!

Thread is fully updated now.
A TOG challenge where you bring the Germans and Anglo-Saxons back to the "Old Ways" (Norse faith) would be awesome.

Figured I'd suggest the current playthrough I'm doing, as it's been some pretty solid fun times.

High Chief Sweitopelk II Gryfita of Pomerania, 1106

A ruler who is both a first and a last: the first ruler of the Gryfita dynasty (aka Gryf or the "House of Griffins"), a dynasty in real life that'd rule Pomerania for the rest of the middle ages and go on to have the first king of the Kalmar Union. He is also, however, the last Slavic pagan ruler of the Duchy of Pomerania, and in 1106 one of only two playable Slavic pagan rulers left in the world. You have a paltry three counties, and three sons ready to split that realm amongst themselves. To the east are the Lithuanian tribes, to the south a powerful and unified Catholic Poland, the north the Baltic Sea (and more Catholic kingdoms), and to the west you have the only other surviving Slavic ruler (the three county Chief of Dymin), the now Christian Tribe of Obotrites, and most terrifyingly of all the Holy Roman Empire. Do you follow history and accept Christ, and perhaps seek the HRE's protection against the large, hungry states that surround you? Or do you defy the Christians on the doorstep of their most powerful empire and fan the last smouldering embers of Slavic paganism?

Hrolfr de Normandie, courtier of Rorik of Dorestad, duke of Holland, 867

A famous viking warrior and the great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conqueror. Historically, he settled in Normandy and founded the dynasty that would one day take the throne of England.
Start as Hrörekr of Holland, give Hrolfr some land, play on as him and see if you can re-create history!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo

I don't know whether this has been changed in a patch or if the Taran was mistaken or what but Hrolfr De Normandie is to be found in the court of the County of Trondelag, not in the Duchy of Holland

Does the requirements; acquire "True Christian Knight" modifier and acquire 5,000 prestige have to be obtained by the same character?

The Duchess tries to revoke your county straight away, throwing you into a war. You are guaranteed that your wife joins you, and you just got to hope that Duchess doesn't asks her ally the Prince to join her.

King Baudouin IV "the Leper" of Jerusalem, 2 January 1177
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_IV_of_Jerusalem

Baudouin IV was the famous "Leper King" of Jerusalem, son of previous King Amalric. His fatal sickness was discovered when he was a young boy. According to Runciman: he and his friends were playing one day, attempting to injure each other by driving their fingernails into each other's arms, but Baldwin felt no pain. William ( of Tyre, his guardian) immediately recognized this as a sign of serious illness. Later it turned out to be a leprosy.
In spite of that, Baudouin ruled as a king for 11 years, more than anyone would suspect, even leading armies and making diplomatic agreements sometimes. His sickness didnt give any chance for him to have an heir and stuck him to bed, therefore his influence among people in kingdom was poor, with his sisters and regents having too much power. In the end he wasnt able (or maybe didnt want) to stop the marriage between his sister Sibylla and Guy de Lusignan, so after his death in 1185, the Kingdom was no longer ruled by his dynasty, and in 2 years it was almost eradicated by Guy's poor reign and Saladins power.

In CK2, in 1177, 2nd of January, as a unlucky Baudouin IV, you have just turned 16, but you are seriously sick and having a son would be a miracle. Even worse, Kingdom of Jerusalem is surrounded by most powerfull muslim state it ever struggled with, and in neighbourhood only Byzantine Empire is strong enough to be an usefull ally against Saladin. Not having a heir and being a leper will result in lack of support from your vassals (or maybe even rebellions), not to mention you cant let your sisters marry to other dynasties, because they will most likely inherit the throne after you. Try to achieve as much as you can, before leprosy will enter its terminal stage. Baudouin from real life lasted 11 years as a king and 24 as a man, how long will you last?

* Become King of England

The thing is done ! That bloody Vikings never saw what hit them ... Could have finished this earlier, but had to wait for like 50 years for the county of Leicester to convert to the One True Faith. That even gave me the time to marry and expand ... in Spain.

Hail to the glorious House Wessex !

Here is the last king ... All others stayed Catholic and Anglo-Saxon in the meantime. (See attachments)

eanfrith.jpgoffa.jpgeadmaer.jpgaethelhere.jpg

Should I suggest a HRE-forming with Werner Salian (867) for the next one, perhaps with some time-based requirements (like "Form the HRE by 965" or "Conquer 5 italian De Jure duchies by 1050") to spice up things ?

Generalolaf, could you please fix Baldwin I of Latin Empire description? The second half of it - "...wandering around Europe begging for money, having a barony somewhere in Belgium" is actually a story of his nephew, Baldwin II of Latin Empire, who was the last of them and least succesful"

Figured I'd suggest the current playthrough I'm doing, as it's been some pretty solid fun times.

High Chief Sweitopelk II Gryfita of Pomerania, 1106

A ruler who is both a first and a last: the first ruler of the Gryfita dynasty (aka Gryf or the "House of Griffins"), a dynasty in real life that'd rule Pomerania for the rest of the middle ages and go on to have the first king of the Kalmar Union. He is also, however, the last Slavic pagan ruler of the Duchy of Pomerania, and in 1106 one of only two playable Slavic pagan rulers left in the world. You have a paltry three counties, and three sons ready to split that realm amongst themselves. To the east are the Lithuanian tribes, to the south a powerful and unified Catholic Poland, the north the Baltic Sea (and more Catholic kingdoms), and to the west you have the only other surviving Slavic ruler (the three county Chief of Dymin), the now Christian Tribe of Obotrites, and most terrifyingly of all the Holy Roman Empire. Do you follow history and accept Christ, and perhaps seek the HRE's protection against the large, hungry states that surround you? Or do you defy the Christians on the doorstep of their most powerful empire and fan the last smouldering embers of Slavic paganism?
Added
King Baudouin IV "the Leper" of Jerusalem, 2 January 1177
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_IV_of_Jerusalem

Baudouin IV was the famous "Leper King" of Jerusalem, son of previous King Amalric. His fatal sickness was discovered when he was a young boy. According to Runciman: he and his friends were playing one day, attempting to injure each other by driving their fingernails into each other's arms, but Baldwin felt no pain. William ( of Tyre, his guardian) immediately recognized this as a sign of serious illness. Later it turned out to be a leprosy.
In spite of that, Baudouin ruled as a king for 11 years, more than anyone would suspect, even leading armies and making diplomatic agreements sometimes. His sickness didnt give any chance for him to have an heir and stuck him to bed, therefore his influence among people in kingdom was poor, with his sisters and regents having too much power. In the end he wasnt able (or maybe didnt want) to stop the marriage between his sister Sibylla and Guy de Lusignan, so after his death in 1185, the Kingdom was no longer ruled by his dynasty, and in 2 years it was almost eradicated by Guy's poor reign and Saladins power.

In CK2, in 1177, 2nd of January, as a unlucky Baudouin IV, you have just turned 16, but you are seriously sick and having a son would be a miracle. Even worse, Kingdom of Jerusalem is surrounded by most powerfull muslim state it ever struggled with, and in neighbourhood only Byzantine Empire is strong enough to be an usefull ally against Saladin. Not having a heir and being a leper will result in lack of support from your vassals (or maybe even rebellions), not to mention you cant let your sisters marry to other dynasties, because they will most likely inherit the throne after you. Try to achieve as much as you can, before leprosy will enter its terminal stage. Baudouin from real life lasted 11 years as a king and 24 as a man, how long will you last?
Added
The thing is done ! That bloody Vikings never saw what hit them ... Could have finished this earlier, but had to wait for like 50 years for the county of Leicester to convert to the One True Faith. That even gave me the time to marry and expand ... in Spain.

Hail to the glorious House Wessex !

Here is the last king ... All others stayed Catholic and Anglo-Saxon in the meantime. (See attachments)

View attachment 87468View attachment 87469View attachment 87467View attachment 87466

Should I suggest a HRE-forming with Werner Salian (867) for the next one, perhaps with some time-based requirements (like "Form the HRE by 965" or "Conquer 5 italian De Jure duchies by 1050") to spice up things ?
Nice work! That challenge sounds like a good idea, I might use that

Generalolaf, could you please fix Baldwin I of Latin Empire description? The second half of it - "...wandering around Europe begging for money, having a barony somewhere in Belgium" is actually a story of his nephew, Baldwin II of Latin Empire, who was the last of them and least succesful"
Done.

* Become King of England

Got it done :)
6_zps6d2aadef.jpg

7_zps3c773a44.jpg

ignore the duke of saxony, i accidentally clicked on him

8_zps1af0a2c0.jpg
So, there's the proof of the kingdom of England, the catholic mainland Britain and a Great dynasty member.
10_zps7a888871.jpg

9_zps44a981a6.jpg
and there's proof of the saxon and catholic-ness of all my rulers :D

The random number generator must love me because Provinces started converting within a decade as soon as I took them.

My main issue was that Alfred himself gained the nickname 'The Just' very quickly so I couldn't make him great and his son didn't have the 'exalted among men' ambition available so I had to wait for them two to drop down before I could get the name...and for York to convert...it really didn't want to, I had time to conquer a good portion of Scandinavia and even convert some of the heathen homeland before York converted.

Last edited: