• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I got through the thread page by page and add all the suggestions, I probably just haven't got to your post yet. Rest assured it will happen :)

Louis II of Italy: January 1, 867
As the eldest son of Lothair of Middle Francia (himself the eldest son of Emperor Louis the Pious), Louis II is the rightful successor to the entire Frankish Empire. At the moment, however, he's only the King of Italy, and none of the other crowned heads of Europe are likely to let go of their titles without a fight. As a member of the Karling dynasty, you start out as heir to at least one kingdom and highly placed on the succession to a number of others, so a few discreet assassinations and well-timed claim wars can eventually make you ruler of a good chunk of Western Europe, from which you can create either the Empire of Francia or the Holy Roman Empire, depending on what route you take. Or you could focus your ambitions southward to territory outside your family's control and eventually crown yourself Emperor of Italia.

Garðar Svavarsson, count of Austisland, 867.

Can one man build an empire alone? And I do mean one man.

Historically, he got lost in a storm and stayed for a winter in the 860s on the virtually uninhabited (there may have been Irish monks living there) island of Iceland. CK2 can't model this, so in game he's a lord with his own castle - but still, you rule an OPM in a very isolated position. Can you make his descendents rulers of Europe?

Hrolfr de Normandie, courtier of Rorik of Dorestad, duke of Holland, 867

A famous viking warrior and the great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conqueror. Historically, he settled in Normandy and founded the dynasty that would one day take the throne of England.
Start as Hrörekr of Holland, give Hrolfr some land, play on as him and see if you can re-create history!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo

Guifré el Pilós (Wilfred "the Hairy"), Count of Rosselló, 867

The founder of the House of Barcelona, son of Sunifred, (earlier Count of Barcelona, Urgell, Cerdanya Girona, Osona, Besalú, etc) he starts as a vassal of Duke Bernard Gellones of Barcelona and Count of Narbonne. He's the only historical catalan feudal lord in this bookmark (the Balear ones aren't real afaik) and has a Strong claim on the Duchy of Barcelona. He was granted the Count of Barcelona after siding with Charles and his son Lois against a faction of Noble rebels, among them the Count of Barcelona at the time, Bernard of Gothia (Bernard Gellones in-game). He's the founding father of the de facto independent Catalan counties and maybe the main Warrior-Hero in the catalan medieval folklore . A legend tells that the Arms of the House of Barcelona (which became the Catalan national flag) were created by Emperor Lois, who gave him a golden shield and plotted it with the blood of his wounded vassal. A hard game if you wish to reenact his steps and take over the catalan counties, as you have a quite powerful frankish liege and the Carolingian mess can be less tumultuous than in real life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_the_Hairy
http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guifré_el_Pilós

It would be great if the first post could be updated with the 867 pagan starts.

You know, someone with some time on its hands should simply check where generalolaf stopped adding (he usually writes the post number whenever he updates) and compile that information in the proper form and a single post, so all generalolaf needs to do is copy paste it into the first post. It feels kinda bad that the poor guy is doing all the updating on his own.

And before someone says "why not you?", I realize the hypocrisy but I got no time right now :(

You know, someone with some time on its hands should simply check where generalolaf stopped adding (he usually writes the post number whenever he updates) and compile that information in the proper form and a single post, so all generalolaf needs to do is copy paste it into the first post. It feels kinda bad that the poor guy is doing all the updating on his own.

And before someone says "why not you?", I realize the hypocrisy but I got no time right now :(

This would help a lot if anyone does have the time. Otherwise, I do plan to update at least a bit over Monday and Tuesday nights - I have a rather large school project due on Monday which is worth half the year's marks in that subject, hence the complete lack of updates. :)

Speaking of Eastern European guys:
Mindaugas, High Chief of Lithuania in "Rise of Hansa" bookmark - historically, first Great Prince of Lithuania and then first King of Lithuania. Guy converted to Catholicism for his royal crown, but in his late ages he converted back to paganism, how's that? To add some more religion changing madness - his son resigned as Great Prince and entered the monastery. Orthodox one.
Daniil of Galich(you can find him as 10 years old prince of Galich in 1211, or in 1220 ("Mongols" bookmark) - after his exile from Galich as independent Grand prince of Volhynia) - first King of Russia (Ruthenia). Gained his crown from Pope, despite staying Orthodox. Played exeptionally wide-ranged Game of Thrones - he parlayed with Golden Horde khans about who will be the next Great Prince in Vladimir, fought Lithuanians, waged wars against Hungary and Poland, partake in succesion wars in duchy of Austria and in Holy Roman Empire, all time fighting the never-ending civil war with his Galichian vassal. His life was like playing Crusader Kings, but in real life.

Last edited:
Speaking of Eastern European guys:
Mindaugas, High Chief of Lithuania in "Rise of Hansa" bookmark - historically, first Great Prince of Lithuania and then first King of Lithuania. Guy converted to Catholicism for his royal crown, but in his late ages he converted back to paganism, how's that? To add some more religion changing madness - his son resigned as Great Prince and entered the monastery. Orthodox one.
Daniil of Galich - first King of Russia (Ruthenia). Gained his crown from Pope, despite staying Orthodox. Played exeptionally wide-ranged Game of Thrones - he parlayed with Golden Horde khans about who will be the next Great Prince in Vladimir, fought Lithuanians, waged wars against Hungary and Poland, partake in succesion wars in duchy of Austria and in Holy Roman Empire, all time fighting the never-ending civil war with his Galichian vassal. His life was like playing Crusader Kings, but in real life.

These are very interesting suggestions, but please add a starting date or bookmark for Daniil of Galich, otherwise it wont be clear when he is available for play.

Anyone have a suggestion for a particularly challenging Norse pagan? I enjoy playing them for roleplaying reasons, but with the new DLC, they're almost too easy. I usually secure my inheritance, build an empire, raid until my coffers are overflowing and then form alliance with all of the other pagans so I can defend them from Holy Wars. Then I get bored and start over again with someone new.

Anyone have a suggestion for a particularly challenging Norse pagan? I enjoy playing them for roleplaying reasons, but with the new DLC, they're almost too easy. I usually secure my inheritance, build an empire, raid until my coffers are overflowing and then form alliance with all of the other pagans so I can defend them from Holy Wars. Then I get bored and start over again with someone new.
The hardest one would likely be Haesteinn of Nantes.

Try playing as the count of Færeyjar. Easily the most isolated location of the game.