• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I tried to make an oversight of all the 867 characters suggested so far. I may have missed a few, but this is most of them. Just to make an oversight so that it will be easier incorporated into the OP.

I didn't list characters of a later start date, except the pig herding, mongol murdering cabbage emperor of Bulgaria for his level of epicness.

Norse
Kingdom of Lotharingia
Hrodulfr Hildetonn, count of Ostfriesland.
You are the only Pagan vassal in the kingdom of Lotharingia. Your uncle, Hrorek is as the duke of Holland your liege. Hrorek has betrayed The Old Gods already and is Catholic. They call you the black sheep of te family. Can you show them what you are really worth? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodulf_Haraldsson

Nantes
Hæsteinn, Count of Nantes (independent)
One of the most famous and prolific vikings, there were few cities in Europe and North Africa which weren't raided by this man. Unlike most vikings, who used the money and fame for specific reasons, Hæsteinn seemed to just enjoy raiding and carried on well into old age.

Sjælland
Holmger Hammer, count of Burgundaholmr (Bornholm)
So while this fine gent starts out as a vassal to Sigurdr Snake-in-the-eye, his home castle is the largest military fortification in Northern Europe! Also, his dynastic name is HAMMER. How cool is it to be a viking, raiding Constantinople, with the surname of HAMMER? Very cool, my friends.

Austisland (Iceland)
Garðar Svavarsson, count of Austisland, 867.
Can one man build an empire alone? And I do mean one man.
Historically, he got lost in a storm and stayed for a winter in the 860s on the virtually uninhabited (there may have been Irish monks living there) island of Iceland. CK2 can't model this, so in game he's a lord with his own castle - but still, you rule an OPM in a very isolated position. Can you make his descendents rulers of Europe?

Trondelag
Hrolfr (Rollo) de Normandie, courtier of the Count of Trondelag, 867 (unlanded)
A famous viking warrior and the great-great-great-grandfather of William the Conqueror. Historically, he settled in Normandy and founded the dynasty that would one day take the throne of England.
Start as the count of Trondelag, grab some land, give it to Hrolfr, and play on as him and see if you can re-create history!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo

Catholic
East Francia
Werner Salian, Count of Pfalz:
Try to climb insurmountable odds and establish the Salian Dynasty as masters of the Holy Roman Empire. House Salian provided 4 Holy Roman Emperors, an immense task to be sure!

Kingdom of Lotharingia
Hrörekr Hilditönn, Duke of Holland
aka Rorik of Dorestad, a catholic viking, you were given the duchy to protect the coast against your fellow Norse-men

Kingdom of Italy
Louis II, King of Italy: January 1, 867
As the eldest son of Lothair of Middle Francia (himself the eldest son of Emperor Louis the Pious), Louis II is the rightful successor to the entire Frankish Empire. At the moment, however, he's only the King of Italy, and none of the other crowned heads of Europe are likely to let go of their titles without a fight. As a member of the Karling dynasty, you start out as heir to at least one kingdom and highly placed on the succession to a number of others, so a few discreet assassinations and well-timed claim wars can eventually make you ruler of a good chunk of Western Europe, from which you can create either the Empire of Francia or the Holy Roman Empire, depending on what route you take. Or you could focus your ambitions southward to territory outside your family's control and eventually crown yourself Emperor of Italia.

Kingdom of Wessex
Alfred, the count of Dorset
A very interesting guy to play. He is the younger brother of the petty king of Wessex. Historically, he was known as Alfred the Great. Your brother has no sons which means that if you assassinate him then you will inherit Wessex.
Then your goal is to create the kingdom of England in wars against both vikings and your fellow Saxon rulers.

Kingdom of Aquitaine
Guifré el Pilós (Wilfred "the Hairy"), Count of Rosselló, 867
The founder of the House of Barcelona, son of Sunifred, (earlier Count of Barcelona, Urgell, Cerdanya Girona, Osona, Besalú, etc) he starts as a vassal of Duke Bernard Gellones of Barcelona and Count of Narbonne. He's the only historical catalan feudal lord in this bookmark (the Balear ones aren't real afaik) and has a Strong claim on the Duchy of Barcelona. He was granted the Count of Barcelona after siding with Charles and his son Lois against a faction of Noble rebels, among them the Count of Barcelona at the time, Bernard of Gothia (Bernard Gellones in-game). He's the founding father of the de facto independent Catalan counties and maybe the main Warrior-Hero in the catalan medieval folklore . A legend tells that the Arms of the House of Barcelona (which became the Catalan national flag) were created by Emperor Lois, who gave him a golden shield and plotted it with the blood of his wounded vassal. A hard game if you wish to reenact his steps and take over the catalan counties, as you have a quite powerful frankish liege and the Carolingian mess can be less tumultuous than in real life.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_the_Hairy

Zoroastrian
---Bey Kurush of Chimboy, 867
A Zoroastrian vassal to the Tengriist Yagbuids, you are the only follower of your ancient faith amongst the Turks. You are at the very edge of civilisation and in a dangerous part of the world, following a faith that is close to death. Can you bring the other Turks round to the true faith? Can you unite the Zorostrian faith and retake the Persian Empire? You have a weak start and you are an outsider to all, but outsiders are often the driving force of history.

--- Rostam Bavandid, Count of Tabaristan, 867: A Zoroastrian count that starts as vassal of a Shia ruler in the mountainous region of northern Persia. Although this is unfortunatly not reflected in-game, he is directly descended from the Sassanid Emperor Kavadh I. He starts with two counties in his demesne, which makes him twice as big as the neighboring Justanids, but sadly he is lacking any event army. Even if he can overthrow his liege, he is stuck between the regional Muslim powers. Can you make him rise to power, drive out the Mohammedans and lead the Persian Empire to a new golden age?

King Ivaljo I Bardokva of Bulgaria: 1 January 1279
Ivaljo was a peasant who led a rising against the Kingdom of Bulgaria, claiming that he could defend the Bulgarian people against the Mongols. His dynasty, Bardokva, is a nickname meaning 'radish'. He was able to defeat and kill Tsar Konstantin, and take control of the country. He married the widow of the former Tsar, and began to defend against the Byzantines, Mongols and the Bulgarian nobility who were outraged that a peasant took control of their country. Historically, he was forced into exile and then assassinated, but a skilled player could create a prestigious dynasty from this unique peasant-turned-king.

Last edited:
Rolffr (Rollo) de Normandie can no longer be found in the court of the duke if Holland. He is now a Norse pagan and you can find him somewhere in Norway.

Rolffr (Rollo) de Normandie can no longer be found in the court of the duke if Holland. He is now a Norse pagan and you can find him somewhere in Norway.
Specifically, in the court of the Count of Trondelag, usually as a marshal. You'll either have to revoke a barony or use a non-Subjugation CB to grab some land and give it to him to make him playable.

@Taran14: Thanks for gathering the recent suggestions. But I must insist on a mention of Hammer Time!

Al-Mu'tazz - Caliph and Badshah of the Abbasid (Arabian) Empire, 867

Theoretically, Al-Mu'tazz should be the most powerful man in the Islamic world. But the youngest Caliph since the establishment of the institution is an Indulgent Wastrel; Cruel, Cynical, Arbitrary, Lustful and Envious. He is beset by powerful vassals, ready to rebel, including his half-brothers Al-Muwaffak and Al-Mu'tamid. Historically, he was one of the Caliphs who ruled during the "Anarchy at Samarra" and his reign (and the reigns of his two predecessors) were marked by a tremendous loss of power by the Caliphs to regional emirs. Can you turn around the historical decline of the Caliphate? Alternately, you can play as one of Al-Mu'tazz's arguably more deserving brothers, Al-Muwaffak or Al-Mu'tamid, and try to overthrow your corrupt ruler and claim the Caliphate for yourself.

Last edited:
The hardest one would likely be Haesteinn of Nantes.

I started playing him last night, and I haven't found him to be that hard. He has amazing stats and starts with over 2,000 event troops and 40 longships which is easily enough to take on the King of Brittany immediately. Since Brittany is not de jure West Francia, using your chancellor to improve relations with the West Francian king can prevent him from warring you. Definitely a very fun game so far though!

I started playing him last night, and I haven't found him to be that hard. He has amazing stats and starts with over 2,000 event troops and 40 longboats which is easily enough to take on the King of Brittany immediately. Since Brittany is not de jure West Francia, using your chancellor to improve relations with the West Francian king can prevent him from warring you. Definitely a very fun game so far though!
Well, you can screw yourself up pretty easily.

I would add anyone who is in charge of the Bulgary at the very beggining.

Defeating those 10k no-attrition stack must be major feat.

(And if that is too easy, one can always wait till Maygars form Hungary, and then DoW for relcaiming those lands. 40k of no-attrition must be very hard....)

I would add anyone who is in charge of the Bulgary at the very beggining.

Defeating those 10k no-attrition stack must be major feat.

(And if that is too easy, one can always wait till Maygars form Hungary, and then DoW for relcaiming those lands. 40k of no-attrition must be very hard....)
In my game, AI Bulgaria defeated the Magyars :) But that also means I am never going to see Hungary :(

--- Rostam Bavandid, Count of Tabaristan, 867: A Zoroastrian count that starts as vassal of a Shia ruler in the mountainous region of northern Persia. Although this is unfortunatly not reflected in-game, he is directly descended from the Sassanid Emperor Kavadh I. He starts with two counties in his demesne, which makes him twice as big as the neighboring Justanids, but sadly he is lacking any event army. Even if he can overthrow his liege, he is stuck between the regional Muslim powers. Can you make him rise to power, drive out the Mohammedans and lead the Persian Empire to a new golden age?

The problem with this one is that your liege will eventually force-convert you.. But is it a bold move to break free (with the help of the zoroastrian neighbour it is possible, but then...) . Someone tried this one ?

I started playing him last night, and I haven't found him to be that hard. He has amazing stats and starts with over 2,000 event troops and 40 longships which is easily enough to take on the King of Brittany immediately. Since Brittany is not de jure West Francia, using your chancellor to improve relations with the West Francian king can prevent him from warring you. Definitely a very fun game so far though!
The duke of brittany usually ally with some kings in spain (in the 2 years to prepare the invasion), plus the Karlings often get involved, since all catholics can join. So you have to be very fast in your invasion of brittany. It's doable, but if you're unlucky, you'll get screwed. And even with improved relations with France (or West Francia), they will holy war you. You can't really expand against West Francia, but one option is to prepare invasion of wessex. Or you could convert too.

Psshhh. Nantes. As Haesteinn, I easily conquered Brittany, raided until I had like 1k gold then did a Prepared Invasion of Nikaea (Project Balance kingdom). I beat Byzantium. And formed Norse Nikaea. As Haesteinn of Nantes.

Bow before me, mere mortals.

Psshhh. Nantes. As Haesteinn, I easily conquered Brittany, raided until I had like 1k gold then did a Prepared Invasion of Nikaea (Project Balance kingdom). I beat Byzantium. And formed Norse Nikaea. As Haesteinn of Nantes.

Bow before me, mere mortals.
Or you can become Emperor of Brittany as Haesteinn himself. It can be hard if you're slow to expand or if the Karlings decide to screw you early. He's one of the hardest Norse at 867, but they're all easy.

Nantes
Hæsteinn, Count of Nantes (independent)
One of the most famous and prolific vikings, there were few cities in Europe and North Africa which weren't raided by this man. Unlike most vikings, who used the money and fame for specific reasons, Hæsteinn seemed to just enjoy raiding and carried on well into old age.

This guy is so much fun. Could anyone tell me what his historical name was? I haven't been able to find anything about a historical character that sounds at all similar and most sources on leaders in Brittany say the Vikings didn't occupy the region until the 10th century.

This guy is so much fun. Could anyone tell me what his historical name was? I haven't been able to find anything about a historical character that sounds at all similar and most sources on leaders in Brittany say the Vikings didn't occupy the region until the 10th century.
They possibly found him in some obscure saga just so they could fill the world with as many Norse characters as possible.

Haestein of Nantes is easy at first. Then you die, your kingdom is split in to six parts and Western France and/or a 7,000 stack of rebels declare that they want to restore Brittany to Breton rule or incorporate it as part of France.