• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, for one, Erik the Heathen in 1066's gonna become even funner. A Norse reconquest of Scandinavia in an era where Christianity is already preparing for its final triumph should be exciting.

Underdog scenarios are always fascinating.

The 867 start also shines a spotlight on the infamous Anarchy at Samarra. Some have even called it the beginning of the end of the Abbasid Caliphate.

Last edited:
So has anyone mentioned Duke Isaac I of Khazars, the only Christian (Orthodox) vassal of the Khanate of Cumania in 1066?
I've tried this and its almost impossible. Not only does your liege hate you, One of the other dukes has a de jure claim on your county, and he won't hesitate to press it, and you
can't swear fealty to him because you yourself are a (titular) duke. The only chance I've had is to start a faction for independence immediately and hope some of the other dukes join it.

There have been plenty of suggestions, I just haven't had the time to add them to the front page yet. :)

Well I'd expect Erik the Heathen is the only pagan character in 1066 people are intimately familiar with, sure you have the Lithuanians and the Old Prussians which could be fun but I don't know the names of the lords I just mentioned

Well I'd expect Erik the Heathen is the only pagan character in 1066 people are intimately familiar with, sure you have the Lithuanians and the Old Prussians which could be fun but I don't know the names of the lords I just mentioned
Then you're ignorant and should feel nought but shame! :angry:

;)

There's also Kruto of Mecklenburg and (for a later start date) Genghis Khan, both of whom I've suggested but the list hasn't updated with yet. Plenty of other interesting historical figures in the game too, along with some where the state or tribe is known but the rulers' name is lost to history and Paradox made one up instead. But I haven't tried most of them out. (That said, Vasterbotten or Angermanland could be fun. Like Erik the Heathen, but much harder - have to form Norrland, THEN swear to and usurp Sweden.)

A suggestion for an unlanded character: Omar Khayyam is in the Hashimid court at the beginning of the game. I'm fairly sure it is the actual, historical Omar Khayyam, even though his stats are somewhat mediocre. Creating a dynasty of hedonistic mathematician-poets could be quiet fun :).

I WILL update this by Friday. And I'll have a look for some heretic Catholic characters. :)

A suggestion for an unlanded character: Omar Khayyam is in the Hashimid court at the beginning of the game. I'm fairly sure it is the actual, historical Omar Khayyam, even though his stats are somewhat mediocre. Creating a dynasty of hedonistic mathematician-poets could be quiet fun :).

Which Hashimid court? There is one in Medina and one in Derbent...

Grigor Pahlavuni, Count of Vaspurakan, 15 Sep 1066

I think he's the same person as Grigor II 'Ykayaser' or 'Martyrophile'. He's the son of one of the lucky Armenians who were granted titles by the Byzantine emperor after the Byzantine conquest of Armenia. Grigor was Catholicos of the Armenian Apostolic Church IRL and never had great ambitions, but in the game, you have the opportunity of trying to gain revenge. If Byzantium survives the Seljuk invasion successfully (which is luck of the draw and you can't really influence it other than raising your paltry levies), the fun starts! Try to expand within the Empire and when you are ready, wait for an opportunity and then break free to establish an independent Kingdom of Armenia under the Miaphysite faith. Try to do so before Armenia is culturally and religiously assimilated into the Greek Orthodox Byzantine Empire! It will not be easy - it is hard to find allies as an Armenian Miaphysite, and if the Emperor doesn't like you, he can start revoking any ducal titles you may have without penalty. I recommend attempting this under the newest version CK2+, where an enhanced faction system prevents imperial authority from climbing too high and where cultural assimilation has been slowed down massively.