• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
378385072.jpg

Italy on January 1st, 1500

If you don't see it, link to Care2

Consider the following:

This picture is taken on January 1st, 1500.
Present alliances are:

Papal State (5 Italic Provinces), France, Savoy (2 IP), Brittany and Gelre.

Spain (3 IP), Naples (2 IP), Mantua (1 IP), Scotland and Hessen --- Naples is a Spanish vassal.

Tuscany (2 IP), Genoa (1 IP) and Rhodes Knights --- Genoa is a Milanese vassal.

Milan (1 IP) and Helvetia (Switzerland).

Venice (2 IP) and Georgia.

Consider that after some days Milan will become an Austrian vassal, breaking the alliance with Helvetia, and Tuscany will make peace with Papal State giving up Siena.

Last edited:
Missed your two latest updates but now I have catched up on this AAR - great;)

March 31, 1501

For a long time now we have not travelled to Venice because of the war, and the opportunity to join the commercial legation leaving from Mantua two days ago seemed to be a good chance to find old friends in the lagoon city. Nearly six months ago, on the infamous day August 13, 1500, Francesco II was forced by the hard situation of our armies and the indefensibility of the province against the assaults of Ludovico the Moor to accept such humiliating peace conditions that virtually converted our Marquesate into a Milanese vassal. We make an severe effort to recall those tangled events of Summer 1500 without falling in the gloominess. After the unlucky attempt in June made by Cosme’s vanguard to seize Milan before the arrival of the largest part of Francesco II’s army, culminated in the defeat of Bergamo, His Lordship the Marquis left Mantua with the remaining 8.000 footers, entrusting Isabella with the civil command of the city: as the troops defiled Saint Andrew’s, they received the benediction from the Bishop; Francesco II travelled swiftly to Cremona to receive the title of Standard Bearer of the Holy Church and where Cesare Borgia was awaiting him with his own army, some 30.000 strong, in order to conduct a join campaign over the lands of Lombardia.

Something went wrong with the repositioning of the allied troops because Francesco II arrived in the evening of June 26 within reach of the Eastern suburbs of Milan too exposed on his side (we should say uncovered by Cesare?) to the potential assaults of Milanese cavalry. The battle was cruel: over 20.000 Milanese soldiers attempted to dispute their passage towards the city, and was Francesco II himself who led the charge against them: over 3.500 out of 8.000 men bit the dust on that terrible day, and the Marquis’ life itself was at risk. Cesare Borgia arrived at Milan three days after, opening the bombardment of its walls, when the broken ranks of our army were retreating to Mantua, followed by the enraged enemy. Panic-stricken citizens in the city started to abandon Mantua to save their souls in the countryside. The last days of July 1500, the first part of Milanese troops appeared at our gates: demoralized Mantuan defenders fought for their houses but were defeated again, and left the city under siege: admittance to the town was gained after one month of siege, and the besiegers stormed fighting their way through the streets: final defence was shattered only on July 28, two weeks before Francesco II surrendering at the mentioned conditions.

The recovery from the defeat has been hard: Mantua found itself without treasury and freedom, the surroundings were completely ravaged, and army was reduced to 7.000 soldiers; the Gonzagas were forced by Ludovico the Moor to break the royal marriages with Venice and France. In the meanwhile Cesare Borgia has annihilated Ludovico’s troops, but retreated away from the siege of Milan in November 1500.

No help from outside, from someone able to defeat the revolting Duke of Milan, will come for rehabilitating our freedom. We can only hope that our sons will have the courage to fight against the tyrant.

Ow. I imagine those Milanese mercenaries weren't particularly kind to the Marquis' art collection either. The loss to posterity must be devastating.

No, Isaack, those ugly men seemed to be more interested in gold, weapons & armours, and women...:(

Dear readers, a new update will come soon! I'm going to speed up my AAR 'cause I really want to install EU2 1.06 version and somewhere on the forum found 1.05 savegames often crah to desktop with the patch. I don't want to abandon this game and the related history that I'm enjoying a lot before 1708 (when Gonzaga ruling over Mantua ended), so I need to speed up the nAARration (I'm in the early 1500s!).

June 14, 1503

Life placidly goes on: country is beginning to feel the effects of the recovery after the vast military occupation made by Ludovico the Moor. The efforts of our people have been compensated: Francesco II, wanting to relieve the masses, ordered Sir Romagnoli – the “massaro” appointed after Sir Bozzalino’s resigning – to purchase some 55.000 bushels of wheat for the nourishing of the population. The Marquis himself visited the province, proceeding to repair and refortify it.

The court is returning to its traditional activities: the suavity of Isabella’s lute and her excellent singing voice, too long imprisoned into the reading of decrees and verdicts during the military campaign of her husband the Marquis, are favouring again her guests and her relived joy has brought again sunshine into the old Palace. As sign of renaissance of the arts and, at the same time, as tribute to the youth fallen in the field of Lombardia, an ageing Andrea Mantegna has been committed to depict a picture of a dead Jesus Christ. During a visit to his studio, we got the honour of taking a look to the forming canvas. The scene is dramatic the body of Our Lord lays on a red stone; the top bottom view and the deep perspective give prominence to the nail open wounds under His feet. On the left Andrea is sketching some feminine characters, probably the Marys.

mantegna-dead%20christ.jpg

Everyone busy with the restoration of the previous welfare, none has spent a lot of time to follow the evolving diplomatic situation of Italic states. After the death of Agostino Barbango in September 1501, Leonardo Loredano was elected Doge of Venice. His foreign policy has proved very interesting, till now. In March 1503 he went to Florence, where he met Piero II Medici and the permanent representatives of Genoa and the Knights of Rhodes. Unexpectedly, a “pact of friendship and for the freedom of Italic peoples” (as stated in the front-page) among them was signed, provoking the interest of someone in Mantua too, particularly of those who belong to the “Venetian” party and want foreign powers to stay out of the Alps.

In the meantime, Austria and Spain go on pursuing their respective plans of domination: in 1501 Fredrigo I was deposed by their “protectors” in Madrid and substituted with Ferrante III, but every kind of authority has vanished from that court: we would not be astonished if in few years Madrid directly appoints the King of Naples, or a simple governor after joining those provinces to its vast Empire – one should consider that the voyage of Amerigo Vespucci during the last year finally states that lands over the Atlantic are not Indies, but a New World, presently unnamed.

Maximilian I, frustrated by the loss of great part of Netherlands to France, is still at war with the Borgias, going behind his objective of controlling Northern Italy, well helped by his allies of the Great German Union and strenghtened by the vassalisation of Milan. Some signs of renewed diplomatic activity were stemmed during May 1502, when Francesco II – annoyed with the recurrent border violations of Ludovico the Moor – prohibited by decree to Milanese troops trespassing it (revoke military access to Milan). Just in the same days Bavarians passed the Alps to rescue again Milan from the siege of Cesare Borgia.

The rest of past months did not reserve any particular internal event, apart a request of indemnity in September from the country-people for some damages caused by the passage of troops (accepted request of indemnity: -4 stability, +1 centralisation). One month later, with a great demonstration in the surroundings of the city in the presence of Francesco II, fond of this new weapon, it came to an end a long training program started during the visit of Leonardo da Vinci in Mantua, aiming to spread the capability and confidence of our troops with using the great potential of artillery (Land Tech 7).

Outside the borders of the Marquesate, Philibert II decided to end his war with Austria and Bohemia paying an heavy global tribute of 365 ducats, now leaving really alone Alexander VI in the struggle against Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I and his friends. In the meantime, precisely in September 1502, the Florentines after deposing Piero II Medici from power have elected as gonfalonier for life Piero Soderini, wishing to give greater stability to their republican institutions. His rule is proving wise: Florence is introducing a system of national militia in the place of foreign mercenaries, that proved to be completely disloyal during the fight with AlexanderVI, and is promoting the mentioned “pact of friendship” among Italic states, thanks to the co-operation of Genoan Philippe de Ravenstein and Venetian Leonardo Loredano.

Now, one year after the signing of that pact, the need for this embryo of alliance among Italic powers seems to be more and more indispensable: after forcedly annexing the county of Gelre in February, Maximilian I of Austria has unleashed an horde of German mercenaries through the Alps, against Cesare Borgia and the lands of Saint Peter: over 100.000 Lanzichenecchi (as they call them in Rome), coming from Austria, Bohemia, Bavary and Wurttemberg, were allowed to pass through Lombardia, finally reaching Emilia, where Maximilian I permitted them to pillage Italian cities for their compensation. German mercenaries have ravaged countryside before conquering all the forts defending that province on March 25, 1503. His son’s troops completely shattered, Alexander VI paid 7 ducats, probably the last token of his treasury, to end war at least against Bavarians, will it be enough to save him?

I wonder if Soderini's Lieutenant, that Machiavelli has anything to say about this Ferrante III of Naples? :)

January 3rd, 1506

There is none of the usual pomp on these new year’s days. Francesco II makes his entrance quietly, accompanied by his six years old child Federico, and another Marquisal Council can start now. This is different from the previous ones, being the agenda focused upon the breakage of the vassalisation that Ludovico the Moor, Duke of Milan, imposed after his victory, some years ago. Francesco II starts saying he could not tolerate anymore this situation. He is ageing and will make any efforts to leave a free realm to his son, for sure. Furthermore, the situation in Italy is even more fluid now than it was in 1500, when the Marquis was forced to pay such a heavy tribute to a triumphant Ludovico. Let us recall the main events that have characterised the environment which the Marquisate has grown again in after the humiliating defeat. In the past years Spain and Austria have continued to pursue their strategies of domination over Italy.

Even if engaged upon the administration of the affairs of America (as they call now the their immense lands on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean), Fernando (Isabel would leave him widow in 1504) found the time to depose in June 1503 Ferrante III of Naples, after less than two years of reign, without substituting him with another “dummy king” coming from the decadent dynasty. So closes the history of the Neapolitan House of Aragon (Kingdom of Naples annexed by Spain). In the same day Naples and Apulia became parts of their vast reign, the Catholic King announced that Navarra would take the place of the former vassal in the alliance. The choice, taken without the consent of other allies, disquieted the Marquis, who was not notified about it. That day some part of the trust that His Lordship kept in the Catholic King went away. He probably understood that the Spaniards would have done the same with his own Marquesate, one day.

Contrary to a stabilising situation in the South of the peninsula, an extraordinary confusion ruled the North in the earlier five years of this century: the horde of German mercenaries paid by Maximilian I to fight against the Papal State did not stop marching and ravaging, not even when the news of Alexander VI’s death spread out over Italy in mid-August 1503. With his father’s death, Cesare Borgia’s fortunes instantaneously ended. The string of Austrian conquests since then has been astonishing. The bulk of the considerable mercenary army marched into Central Italy capturing Bologna (Romagna) in September 1503 and Ancona (Marche) in February 1504; despite the continuous calls of Pius III (who seated on the “Soglio Pontificio” only two months) and his successor Julius II towards Christian nations to unite the forces against the invader, none run by his side. Neither the French (for a bizarre paradox Louis XII named himself sole defender of the Catholic faith just in March 1504) nor the Spaniards, for not mentioning the weaker Italic States tied in the Pact of Florence, could or would help Julius II, that was probably paying for the faults of his predecessor Alexander VI and his progeny. And the days of the Papal dominion over Central Italy were numbered.

Skirmishes among the last pieces of Papal army and the troops of Maximilian I went on for some months, ravaging all the involved territories. On April 10, 1505 Maximilian I occupied Siena, fiercely putting down the revolts mounting against Julius II. Less than one month later, precisely on May 2nd, 1505, a date that will remain in the future years as unforgettable sign of infamy, the sacred city Rome was sacked by the German mercenaries. The invaders butchered every human being they came upon, undiscriminating of age or sex, even in the very churches and monasteries. Some thousands of citizens were murdered. The end was coming and Julius II understood it: after a whole day of massacres, he came out from St. Angel’s Castle and offered his own life in the hands of Maximilian I. The disgraced Emperor (“Holy” and “Roman” are terms not appropriate for him) said: “We don’t need your head. Later on we are going to present you the bill. The bill soon arrived: Emilia, Romagna and Marche passed under the control of Austria, and Julius II was left alone, surrounded by devastation, with the responsibility of such a massacre.

Louis XII could not accept this situation and suddenly reacted to Spanish and Austrian initiatives, calling Charles III le Bon (who became Duke of Savoy in 1504) for the vassalisation of his Duchy. In July 1505 Charles III, considering that Savoy was already a loyal ally of the King of France and subjected to his sphere of influence, accepted the vassalage to the transalpine power.

In this fluid situation, with Spanish, Austrian and French diplomatic activities advancing at full speediness, Mantua has taken advantage of some permitted opportunities. Two marriages in mid-1505 - it’s incredible the power of bedrooms in foreign affairs – with young descendants of distinguished families coming from France and Venice symbolised some regained power in diplomacy for us. Particularly, the second one signified an important resumption of the old “policy of good neighbourhood” with the Doge. Probably we will need their benevolence when Ludovico knows our intentions about the vassalisation…

Attached some relation points with main European powers: England (+110), France (+109), Poland (+103), Spain (+100), Muscowny (+23), Austria (-131), Ottoman Empire (-134). Neighbours: Venice (+154), Milan (+23).

Hey, Ferrante III is the same person as Fernando il catholico.

You're doing a great job of tying real life events to the game. I wonder when Italy's trials will end. Very nice.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
Hey, Ferrante III is the same person as Fernando il catholico.

Yes, I agree with you. But didn't know he renamed himself Ferrante III. Actually, reading of Italian Renaisssance history I never found that Federico of Naples abdicated to someone known as Ferrante III.

But today I found that Isabel died in 1504 leaving Fernando widow for almost a decade. Paradox should correct the monarchs list for Spain, 'cause "Isabel y Fernando" remain in charge till 1512 (date of Fernando's death, I suppose).

Wow, I just completely read through this masterpiece and it is amazing, It reads like a history book, its so detailed and just feels real.

Can't wait for your next post.

I would like to thank all your readers for the helpful and positive comments about my AAR. Actually, I feel a good adherence to history too: for example, Maximilian's sack of Rome anticipates by roughly 20 years the "real" sack (1527) committed by HRE Carlos V's mercenaries.

November 1st, 1508

An aphorism states “When nations grow old, the arts grow cold and commerce settles on every tree”. The feverish diplomatic activity of these days – we are part of an official delegation in Buda, where we are to receive an opportune guarantee on our independence from the Hungarian King – does not preclude our mind from unpretentious thoughts about Italian artistic and economic rebirth. In place of Mantegna, Cesare Borgia, Colombo, all died in the last few years, a group of illustrious characters emerged on the stage of Italic history: Amerigo Vespucci and Sebastian Cabot in exploration, Michelangelo, Bramante, Raphael and Titian in visual arts, Machiavelli and Ariosto in writing.

Italy, already caught up in banking, commerce and arts, does not perceive the changes in European setting: in 1506 Louis XII finally managed to annex the fiefs of their vassals in Brittany to French royal estate, differently from Maximilian I that failed to do the same with Bavarian feudal lords – who reacted breaking the vassalage link with Austria. On the East, some German states – Brandeburg, Saxony, Wurzburg - joined in the Northern League with England and Hanover – conquered Krakow, virtually ending their long-lasting war against Poland/Lithuania.

Today is All Saints Day. A gloomy sense of alarm permeates the city. Probably everyone feels the imminent war against Milan. The beginning of the umpteenth military escalation between Mantua and Milan can be dated back to January, 1506: Francesco II and an ageing Ludovico the Moor have never been on very good terms, and the reaction of the Duke of Milan to our decision the break the vassalage imposed in 1500 was not joyful, obviously. But he preferred to not retort immediately against the Marquesate. Francesco II assumed Ludovico’s acquiescence to be inspired by some weakness and, after having some months gone by, decided to strengthen the defensive works near the city and to improve military training, envisaging the advent of some revenge chance (“full engine” on military land tech slider).

The chance came on November 22, 1507, when a few unpaid Milanese soldiers, stationed near Cremona, some ten kilometres away from border, decided to collect their dues directly from some tenures which were on the other side, that is ours. Francesco II called the Milanese ambassador, informing him that he had written to complain of this to Ludovico (random diplomatic offense, 12 months casus belli). When the ambassador left Mantua, a new conscription was decided: chief commander Pesaro and his valiant artillery assistant Gaete disposed then of not more than 7.000 men-at-arms and 10 pieces of artillery. The Marquis committed maximum priority to the reorganization of army. Determined to strike first, Francesco II developed the operational forces to 13.000 footers and 1.000 knights within six months. In the meanwhile, facing the coldness of our old allies, particularly the King of Spain, and fearing the possibility of being left alone in case of war against Milan and the Great German Union, we established new diplomatic contacts with others: before leaving for Hungary, during Francesco II’s visit in Prato, in Tuscany, for the celebration of a marriage between two young exponents of respective elites, we held clandestine talks with gonfalonier Piero Soderini, appraising the opportunity to join the Pact of Florence among Tuscany, Venice, Genoa and Rhodes.

December 13, 1508

Through all the decade we have seen Francesco II and Isabella acquiring the skills envisaged by the Florentine Machiavelli in his books, as recommendations for a great prince. Conscious of the scarce probabilities of Spanish help in case of war against Milan and the Great German Union, Francesco II made a sudden clandestine agreement with Piero Soderini, the Doge Leonardo Loredano and Genoan ruler Paolo da Nova on November 28. Mantua instantaneously quitted the alliance with Spain, Navarra, Scotland and Hessen and joined the one with Tuscany, Genoa, Venice and Rhodes Knights, declaring war on Milan the same date, supported by Austria, Bohemia, Kleves, Colonia, Wurttemberg, Munster and Bavaria. Rhodian Knights did not honour our new alliance and left it, then composed only by Italic states, and for this called Italic League. Some days after the beginning of the hostilities, it seems the Providence is going to smile the Gonzagas: Ludovico’s death leaves the endangered Duchy to the feeble Ercole Massimiliano. It seems a sign of destiny…

Here the author is: some out of order and scorched sheets occupy the interval related to the second Milanese war. Nicola Romeo would not survive to this conflict. Actually, he would die by disease in 1510 during the THIRD siege suffered by the city all through the hostilities. Only some maps with the evidence of soldiers’ moves and battles, illustrated by small notes about main events, are easily intelligible. The mentioned supports and known facts help us in recreating those confused years, which ended in 1511 with the conquest of Milan by the great condottiere and artillery expert Gaete.

Note: Mantua and allies armies represented in green, enemies in red.

Map #1

1509, Winter: the bulk of Mantuan army, over 14.000 men with artillery, stationed near the border. It was called back to defend Mantua from 6.000 Bavarian knights moving South. Battle of Lonato (January, 22) was resolved in favour of Mantuan armies (red cross). In February, with a golden cross sent by Isabella to protect him on the field of battle, Francesco II arrived in Lombardia. First victory against Milanese was won, but subsequent withdrawal was needed for the contemporaneous siege of Mantua by Austrian troops. Maximilian I decided to launch an assault against the citadel: when the resistance of defenders was falling down, Austria asked for 25 ducats of indemnity for peace; Francesco II, on the way to Mantua, accepted Maximilian I’s conditions and the siege was stopped.

Map #2

1509, Spring: after nearly four months of war, effective forces were reduced to 5.000 men, other 5.000 in training period. An army formed by over 21.000 Bohemians invaded the province. The Marquis was captured in his sleep and taken hostage, the rest of the army, now commanded by Gaete, repaired to Venice. On May 13, they entered the citadel (red cross): 10 ducats and vassalage is the tribute, even more heavy than the one paid to Maximilian I, requested by the invaders. After acceptance of these conditions, Francesco II was rescued.

Map #3

1509, Summer: forces on the field at almost mid-year were 16.000 Milanese vs 5.000 Mantuans, 23.000 Venetians, 8.000 Genoans and 2.000 Florentines, but operations favoured the enemy. Milanese troops marched toward Mantua; Francesco II was forced to lend money to conscript other 3.000 peasants and hire a mercenary squad of 5.000 men and knights. The battle of Sermide (red cross), fought on July 16, by 16.000 Milanese against over 20.000 Mantuans and Venetians, resulted in another rout for Italian League. During the umpteenth siege of Mantua by Milanese and Bavarians, the news arrived of Julius II’s joining the League.

Map #4

1510, Winter: 25.000 Venetians rescued Mantua (red cross), completely annihilating Milanese army, and a separated peace treaty was signed in January with Bavaria (Mantua paid it 35 ducats). Poland had declared war upon Bohemia and Great German Union just few days before, many German princes probably desired to face the danger coming from North-East rather than defending Milan. Sometimes history may be decided on other stages…

A joined army of Venetians and Mantuans marched over Lombardia toward an undefended Milan during the cold January 1510; notwithstanding the chief command was kept in the hands of the Doge, being Francesco II his vice, the siege of Milan was the masterpiece of Gaete’s expertise about artillery and Francesco II’s tricky manoeuvres. When the Doge launched the assault over the city in November 1510, after 10 months of siege, Mantuan troops retreated, leaving him alone with his soldiers, and forcing him to withdraw for the excessive losses. Soon the siege was resumed, but under the control of Francesco II and Gaete.

The very last reserves of Ercole Massimiliano were totally destroyed in March 1511, whereas Mantua war taxes permitted to throw fresh forces to besiege Milan. The city fell by famine on July 21, 1511, encircled by 10.000 men-at-arms directed by Gaete, and was annexed to the possessions of the Marquisate. War went on against Wurttemberg, Koln, Kleves and Munster.

Last edited: